watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (06.09.10)

Started by White Noise, September 05, 2010, 10:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/birmingham-city-fc/2010/09/04/alex-mcleish-reveals-reason-why-moussa-dembele-might-have-said-no-to-birmingham-city-97319-27197974/

Alex McLeish reveals reason why Moussa Dembele might have said no to Birmingham City

Sep 4 2010 by Colin Tattum, Birmingham Mail

ALEX McLeish has lifted the lid on the murky goings-on during the transfer window.

The Blues boss suspects the actions of an agent were a major reason why Moussa Dembele elected to join Fulham instead of Blues.

The club had been on the trail of the AZ Alkmaar striker for more than a year, Eck revealed.

But, when it came down to the nitty gritty ahead of the transfer deadline day, the Belgium international threw his lot in with Fulham.

Blues had also agreed a £5 million fee with the Dutch club.

Said McLeish: "Dembele was one that we worked on for a long time. We tracked him for over a year. Dick Advocaat was his manager at both the Belgium national team and AZ Alkmaar, I spoke to Dick about him a year ago.

"If it was up to me, if I was doing the negotiations, he would have been signed. Done.

"But there are other circumstances, factors, which make it difficult.

"We believe the agent had told his father and Dembele that we offered less than we actually did offer.

"That was why Dembele talked to Fulham. So we don't know, maybe the agent on the other side of things was getting more money in the other deal.

"It's little things like that – but I can't say for sure.

"It's a change from my day. I used to go in and negotiate with guys like Sir Alex Ferguson and the chairman myself. There were no agents involved."

McLeish revealed the twist at a BRMB Banks's fans' forum at the Meadway Sports & Social Club, Kitts Green.

He said he was delighted at the business he did complete before the transfer window shut.

But missing out on Demeble, and Charles N'Zogbia, who ruined his £9 million move from Wigan Athletic by asking for more wages, presented problems.

McLeish said: "In the end, we were delighted with the business we did. It's not about sending messages out to rival teams [of Blues' intent], it's just securing players that I want to see in this team."

White Noise

Fulham nearing agreement with Bobby Zamora over new deal

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 7:50 PM on 5th September 2010

Assistant boss Mark Bowen insists Fulham are discussing a new deal with £10 million rated Bobby Zamora.

The England striker, 29, is being chased by Liverpool and Birmingham, but Bowen blasted claims that the club are yet to open talks with Zamora over a new contract.

Going nowhere: Bobby Zamora has rediscovered early career form since moving to Craven Cottage
His current deal runs until 2012, and Bowen said: 'What I know is that he is currently in discussions with the club over a possible new deal. It has been ongoing for a few months and obviously way before Mark and I came in.

'But my understanding is that we are hopeful that Bobby will agree a long-term contract with the club.' 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1309275/Fulham-nearing-agreement-Bobby-Zamora-new-deal.html#ixzz0ygvwjuGc

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6359422,00.html

Konchesky relishing challenge

Reds full-back can't wait to get going

Last updated: 5th September 2010   

New Liverpool defender Paul Konchesky admits his move to Anfield has given him his last chance to prove himself at the highest level.

The 29-year-old left-back signed terms with the Reds on Tuesday, penning a four-year contract after agreeing a switch from Fulham.

He played the second half of Jamie Carragher's testimonial on Saturday, and could make his full debut at Birmingham next weekend.

Konchesky, who is reunited with former Cottagers boss Roy Hodgson at Liverpool, is keen to get going and is relishing the challenge ahead of him.

"I'm 29 and this is my last chance to play at the highest level. That is what Liverpool are and I am really looking forward to it," he said.

"It was a big factor (Hodgson) but Liverpool being a big club was a massive factor.

"I'm looking forward to getting a new lease of life and playing at a very high standard.

"I can't wait to pull on a Liverpool shirt in the Premier League, it is a massive club and it is a big step for me.

"I just want to give it my all and go from there.

"I've had three or four days' training and although there have not been a lot of players there it has been a good week and I am hopefully going to enjoy it soon.

"It was good to be involved in Jamie's testimonial and put a Liverpool shirt on."

History
The former West Ham defender added: "You look at the history they have got behind them it is unbelievable and there are some great players here.

"If we can bring that back to the side this year in something like the Europa League then this team can go a long way.

"The testimonial was a bit slower than the Premier League but it was good for Jamie.

"I'm glad all the players came back for him; they obviously respect him a lot and he is well respected within the team.

"He looks fit and I think he has a few more years left in him - and hopefully it will be at Liverpool."

White Noise

Another fine mess, Wenger

Last week I lauded Arsene Wenger for finally getting a strong enough Arsenal squad together, working on the assumption that we got a new goalkeeper.

We didn't. Instead, Wenger managed to make things 10 times worse.

He failed to sign Mark Schwarzer from Fulham because he apparently wouldn't pay their perfectly reasonable asking price earlier this summer, before Mark Hughes took over and when he could have easily done the deal.
Missed target: Mark Schwarzer should have been an Arsenal player
This is typical of Wenger's tight-fisted, self-defeating parsimony in recent years. Now Manuel Almunia and Lukasz Fabianski know their manager doesn't think they're good enough to be No 1, a revelation that will have further shattered their already shockingly decimated confidence.

What a mess.

You can have all the great strikers, midfield stars and defensive generals you like, Arsene.

And we've got a lot right now. But if you've still got a pair of stumbling, nerve-raddled, incompetent clowns in goal, you won't win a game of bingo.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1309033/PIERS-MORGAN-Englands-treatment-Pietersen-disgrace.html#ixzz0ygx7lCmM

White Noise

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/43197/Given_ready_to_fight_for_number_one_jersey.aspx

Given ready to fight for number one jersey

Author:  Nigel Brown

Posted on:05 September 2010 - 03:30 PM

Out-of-favour goalkeeper Shay Given is determined to win back the Manchester City number one jersey from Joe Hart.

The experienced Republic of Ireland international has started the new season behind his younger rival in the Eastlands pecking order.

Given was strongly linked with moves to Arsenal and Fulham before the transfer window closed on Tuesday with him still a City player.

But rather than feel sorry for himself, the 34-year-old former Newcastle United shot-stopper is determined to win back his starting place from Hart.

"For me, now the window has closed, that (the possibility of a transfer) has gone," said Given.

"I have got to put my head down and work hard and try to get back in the team.

"I don't feel I have done a lot wrong since I have been at the club, so I suppose it's about proving the manager wrong and trying to work hard to get back in the team and if I get a chance, taking that and seeing how it goes.

"It is frustrating, but this is life at a big club which can buy as many players as it wants. You have got to be patient."

Given joined City from the Magpies in February 2009 and has made 60 appearances for the Eastlands club.

White Noise

Let Gerrard keep England captaincy ahead of Rio, pleads Danny Murphy

By John Edwards

Last updated at 10:00 PM on 5th September 2010

Rio Ferdinand may be close to pulling on an England shirt again, but Danny Murphy is adamant it should not be adorned with the captain's armband.

After being appointed John Terry's successor seven months ago, following controversy over the Chelsea centre-back's private life, Ferdinand may have taken it as read that he will return as skipper, should he achieve his aim of a recall against Montenegro on October 12.

But former England midfielder Murphy has joined the clamour for a second captaincy change this year after assessing Ferdinand's suspect fitness record and the way Steven Gerrard has lifted everyone around him in his role as stand-in skipper.

Captain Fantastic: Steven Gerrard (left) has impressed with the armband... but Rio Ferdinand (right) wants it back
Ferdinand, who began his latest comeback for Manchester United reserves against Oldham last week, has missed 16 of Fabio Capello's 30 games in charge and been sidelined since a training ground injury shortly before the start of the World Cup.

Gerrard not only took over for the tournament in South Africa but led from the front against Hungary and Bulgaria in a manner that leaves Capello with only one option, according to Murphy.

'I don't know whether Capello is giving it serious consideration, because, let's face it, who does know what he is thinking, apart from the bloke himself?' said the Fulham skipper.

'But I believe there is the strongest possible case for making Steven captain on a full-time basis, regardless of Rio's fitness.

Comeback: Ferdinand last week returned to action for the first time since before the World Cup
'He leads be example, as he has shown in the last two games, and is the best player in the England team. He should always play in his best position and should always have the armband. In my view, he is emerging as our real leader.

'He carried the armband through the World Cup finals and has been a real inspiration in the two opening games of this season. For me, there is no-one better for the job.

'This is not me having a pop at Rio in any way, shape or form. He has done absolutely nothing wrong, but, given his unfortunate injury record, I think he will be grateful, initially, just to be back in the squad. I think just being named in an England party again will be plenty for him to be going on with.

Lions: Danny Murphy earned the last of his nine England caps in 2003
'Not only that, what happens if he gets hurt again? No-one wants to think that will actually happen, but if it does, we will be turning to Steven again. He will become even more important, so for the sake of continuity, I think Capello must stick with Steven as captain.'

Gerrard hinted at a growing trust in him from Capello after revealing how the England coach gave him permission to play in the opening 11 minutes of Jamie Carragher's testimonial at Anfield on Saturday, midway between European Championship qualifiers against Bulgaria and Switzerland.

'It was important to me to be involved because I am so close to Jamie,' said the Liverpool midfielder.

'The idea with England was to have a warm-down on Saturday morning, then have the rest of the day off. I asked Fabio if I could make a brief cameo appearance at Anfield, flying in and out, and he was fine about it. It probably helped that we beat Bulgaria 4-0, but it was still greatly appreciated, because I didn't want to miss Jamie's big day.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1309232/Steven-Gerrard-England-skipper-Rio-Ferdinand-claims-Danny-Murphy.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0yh4h17Fe

WhiteJC

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/68188,sport,football,transfer-talk-mark-schwarzer-still-fuming-over-failed-arsenal-move-gunners-must-fight-for-ibrahim-afellay?
Schwarzer still fuming over failed Arsenal move

Mark Schwarzer is said to be still fuming with Fulham after the club blocked his move to Arsenal last week. The 37-year-old Aussie goalkeeper had made no secret of his desire to move across London to the Gunners, but Cottagers' manager Mark Hughes vetoed the transfer despite Arsenal offering a reported £4m for the veteran shotstopper.

Schwarzer vented his frustration against Switzerland (England's opponents tomorrow in their Euro 2012 qualifier) on Friday evening, producing a couple of blinding saves as Australia held the Swiss to a 0-0 draw in their friendly. Yet asked afterwards what he thought of his thwarted dream Schwarzer struggled to keep his emotions in check. "I would rather not say anything, I would really rather not say anything because otherwise I might say something wrong," he explained to Australian reporters. And Australia's coach, Lucas Neill, sympathised with his Schwarzer's predicament, saying: "He is the ultimate professional. He deserved to go to a club like Arsenal."

Read more: http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/68188,sport,football,transfer-talk-mark-schwarzer-still-fuming-over-failed-arsenal-move-gunners-must-fight-for-ibrahim-afellay?#ixzz0yjHLj6kx

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6359071/Look-Hughes-dreaming-of-qualification
Look Hughes dreaming of qualification

Fulham defender Aaron Hughes would love to build on the superb win over Slovenia and lead Northern Ireland into a major championship.

Hughes was a rock at the back along with Stephen Craigan as their Euro 2012 qualifying campaign got off to a perfect start.

Substitute Corry Evans, making his first competitive outing, was the match-winner in the 1-0 victory against Slovenia in Maribor.

He swept the ball home at the back post in the 70th minute following a low cross from Craig Cathcart on his debut.

Northern Ireland then manned the barricades to stun the hosts, surprise participants in the World Cup finals.

Next up are Italy at Windsor Park on October 8 with Serbia, Estonia and the Faroe Islands also in the group.

Cottagers defender Hughes, who handed the captain's armband to Craigan as he was winning his 50th cap, said: "We know our strengths, we also know our weaknesses, we know what works for us.

"If we stick to that, hopefully we can have a successful campaign and take that extra step to actually get to a finals. How good would that be?

"It's a tough group, but that doesn't lower expectations. We are setting out to qualify, no matter how difficult that might be.

"Whatever anyone else thinks outside the camp is really irrelevant to what we want to do. If we approach every game properly and do things right, we will give ourselves as good a chance as ever."

Hughes believes there is a good blend in the squad that leaves him optimistic about the future.

"We've got lads who have been about for a couple of campaigns and they are still young players," he said.

"Add that experience to the enthusiasm and promise of the young lads coming through, the likes of Johnny Gorman, Corry Evans and Craig Cathcart, you have that nice mix.

"Everyone has had a good taste of competitive football in terms of qualifying groups, so hopefully we can use that to our advantage."

Evans has yet to make a first-team appearance for Manchester United while Cathcart left Old Trafford in the summer to join Blackpool.

Sheffield-born Gorman, who attends Wolves Academy and Repton School, came on in the closing minutes which means he is no longer eligible for either England or the Republic or Ireland.

Italy, under new coach Cesare Prandelli, came from behind to defeat Estonia 2-1 in their opening qualifier.

Craigan expects them to ditch their traditional defensive ideals now Marcello Lippi has departed after they failed to get past the World Cup group stages in South Africa.

"They will be a different attacking team to the disappointing one we saw at the World Cup and maybe they were an ageing side," said the Motherwell defender. "Maybe they were together too long and they should have brought in some fresh faces but how can I tell Marcello Lippi what to do?

"We cannot read too much into what they did at the World Cup because they will be a different side and they will have a little point to prove."

White Noise

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/43206/Morning_Tittle-Tattle_Rivals_covet_Barca_wonderkid_United_eye_Italian_Van_der_Vaart_spurned_Kop_move__Houllier_decision_looms.aspx

Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City, and Manchester United could all make a move for Cagliari goalkeeper Federico Marchetti in January, after the Serie A club suggested they could offload the 27-year-old number one. Fulham, Sunderland and Aston Villa were linked with Arsenal during the summer, but reports in Italy indicate a host of the Premier League's top clubs are coveting the Azzurri stopper. (Sky Sports Italia)

HatterDon

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

White Noise

International Update

Monday 6th September 2010

Fulham FC News

There were mixed fortunes for the Fulham players involved in European Qualifiers on Friday night.

Chris Baird and Aaron Hughes both played 90 minutes on Friday evening in Maribor, as Northern Ireland beat Slovenia by one goal to nil. Both players have returned to Motspur Park ahead of Saturday's clash against Wolves.

The Republic of Ireland also made a positive start with a one-nil win over Armenia in Yerevan. Damien Duff and Stephen Kelly did not feature. On Tuesday the Republic of Ireland will be hoping to make the most of home advantage when they play Andorra in Dublin.

Fulham's Norwegian contingent of Brede Hangeland and Bjorn Helge Riise also tasted victory with a two-one win over Iceland in Reykjavic. Hangeland played the full 90 minutes whilst Riise saw 65 minutes of action. On Tuesday Norway will take on Portugal in Olso.

Zoltan Gera and Moussa Dembele both tasted defeat in their respective European Qualifiers. Gera lost two-nil as Hungary were defeated by Sweden in Solna ahead of Tuesday's match against Moldova.

Meanwhile Dembele's Belgian team narrowly lost out one-nil to Germany in Brussels. Next up for Belgium is Turkey in Istanbul on Tuesday.

In the Continental Qualifiers, John Pantsil's Ghana ran out three-nil winners against Swaziland in Lobamba whilst Rakik Halliche's Algeria side managed a one-all draw against Tanzania in Blida.

Two further First Team players were involved in friendly matches on Friday evening and played the full 90 minutes. Mark Schwarzer played out a nil-nil draw against Switzerland for Australia whilst Carlos Salcido's Mexico side lost to Ecuador in Guadalajara.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/InternationalUpdate.aspx#ixzz0ykh4Twb5

White Noise

McBride Thanks Fulham

Monday 6th September 2010

Fulham FC News

Announcing his retirement at the end of the current MLS season, former Fulham striker Brian McBride praised the Fulham fans and Chairman, Mohamed Al Fayed.

McBride has spent the last two years playing for Chicago Fire after returning to the US following his four-year spell with the Whites. During his time at Craven Cottage he twice won the Player of the Season award, in 05/06 and 06/07, and captained the Club.

"Thank you to the Fulham fans," McBride said at a press conference in Chicago. "I will cherish every moment myself and my family had while in London. Your support was second to none. My wife and I will always look back on our time there with tremendous fondness.

"The last year that I was at Fulham was amazing. The rollercoaster and then coming out OK in the end. Just the sheer jubilation at the end of that campaign and being able to celebrate with everybody was the thing that stands out in my mind.

"To the Chairman, Mr Mohamed Al Fayed, thank you for your passion, your desire. It's something that I will try to emulate. You always had time for my family and made us feel very special, thank you."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/McBrideThanksFansandChairman.aspx#ixzz0ykhiuVBC

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/fulham-striker-zamora-priority-liverpool-transfer-target-1096891?
Fulham striker Zamora priority Liverpool transfer target

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson wants a winter market deal for Fulham striker Bobby Zamora.

The People says Zamora's current deal runs to 2012 and Hodgson is certain to re-ignite his interest in Zamora in the January transfer window, if he isn't tied to a new one.Fulham had agreed to sell Zamora to Hull for £5million last summer but the player stayed and was instrumental in the run to the Europa League Final.

He won his first England cap against Hungary last month but is out of Fabio Capello's squad for the Bulgaria and Switzerland games through injury.

Zamora, 29, is Hodgson's first choice to bolster Liverpool's forward line – with West Ham's Carlton Cole a fall-back option.

Huge

I really am begining to hate that man. Two faced @rse. In Woy i trust to screw us over
The Dude abides

White Noise

Mark Schwarzer hints at Fulham frustration after move to Arsenal fell through

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 2:35 PM on 6th September 2010

Mark Schwarzer has suggested he still holds ill feelings towards Fulham after the club blocked a summer move to title-chasing Arsenal.

The goalkeeper was the subject of two bids in the region of £3million from the Gunners, both of which were dismissed out of hand by his club.

A change of manager and a late injury to stand-in David Stockdale further narrowed Schwarzer's chances of a dream move across London, leaving both the player and his proposed destination frustrated.

Safe hands: Mark Schwarzer made no secret of his desire to join Arsenal
The Australian No 1 hasn't featured for the Cottagers in the Premier League this season and being wary of upsetting the fans, refused to criticise the club. However the anger in his tone was clear.

'I would rather not say anything,' he said after producing a stunning performance against Switzerland on Friday. 'I would really rather not say anything because otherwise I might say something wrong.'

Arsenal are in much need of a top class goalkeeper, with both Manuel Almunia and Lukasz Fabianski hopelessly low on form and confidence. They are likely to return to Fulham in January with an improved bid for Schwarzer.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1309492/Mark-Schwarzer-hints-Fulham-frustration-Arsenal-fell-through.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0ylMFKmk7

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6362518,00.html

Neill - Schwarzer deserved move

Goalkeeper relieved to be away with national team

By Razwan Mirza   Last updated: 6th September 2010   

Lucas Neill claims goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer deserved to go to a club like Arsenal after Fulham's decision to block his dream move.

The former Blackburn defender, who is now plying his trade in Turkey for Galatasaray, says Schwarzer would have benefited from such a switch.

The Australia international put in a masterful display to help the Socceroos secure a 0-0 draw in Friday's friendly against Switzerland in St Gallen.

"He is the ultimate professional," Neill said.

"He deserved to go to a club like Arsenal.

"But equally he will thrive under Mark Hughes at Fulham."

Schwarzer refused to comment publicly on the issue in the post-match press conference as the 37-year-old felt he might say something untoward.

"I would rather not say anything, I would really rather not say anything because otherwise I might say something wrong," he said.

The Gunners had two bids rejected before returning with a reported £4million deadline day offer for the stopper which was rejected by the Craven Cottage outfit.

Meanwhile, goalkeeper David Stockdale has shown some impressive early season form for Fulham keeping Schwarzer on the bench.

Schwarzer will have to wait until the January transfer window before seeking his desired move across London.

The long-time Middlesbrough keeper said the current Australian camp in Europe could not have come at a better time.

"At the end of the day you have to get on with your work and coming away with the national team was a great relief for me really," he said.