watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Spread The Word

Started by Fulhamight, May 29, 2017, 09:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulhamight

With summer and hopefully for some of us a holiday on the way I wondered if any of you have spread the word on your travels?

During the times when Kevin Keegan was our manager I tended to have the odd family holiday in the south of France and would drive down along the coast road to Figueras or Barcelona in Spain. When I could afford it I bought 2 programmes as from the sixties I used to keep scrapbooks much like Ashwater Press and continued with it down through the years. When I stopped bothering with scrapbooks I decided to pack a few of the duplicate programmes in my suitcase and leave them in places where they might be discovered by football fans.
The French Pyrenees and northern Spain were left a good peppering of them but my favourite reaction was in Barcelona. I walked into the club shop near the marina and gave the stunned shop assistants a couple of our programmes. They didn't speak english and I didn't speak Spanish but we had an understanding of what it is to love your club !

Does anyone else have a story about speading the word ?

Andy S

Interesting but why would anyone buy two programmes at today's prices of £3.50 each only to give them away.

Fulhamight

Back in the day I could afford to do it because prices in the 60s through to the 90s were relatively small compared to the £3.50 today. I had used the second programme to supplement the newspaper cuttings in my scrapbook and when I no longer kept a scrap book it just seemed a fun way of sharing what have been and still are amongst the best programmes in the football world. The shop assistants in Barcelona had heard about the then manager Kevin Keegan but had little knowledge of Fulham FC. I'm a great believer in little things having a ripple impact. Fulham 2000 cost some of us money we could little afford but somehow our small donations were demonstrating someting more important than that. Perhaps we should have little flyrs which could be homemade for the price of a photocopy. It was just a bit of fun.

AlexW132

I was in Cologne in April and went to a 3 Liga (3rd tier) game between Fortuna Köln and FSV Frankfurt. I had a nice chat with some of their fans (some whose German was almost impossible to understand!) and insisted that they come to a Fulham game next time they were in England. I also spoke to their Manager and the players after the game, and even they knew who we were and that we play at Craven Cottage.

filham

In my overseas travels I have always been surprised to see the strong commercial presence of our big clubs, for instance Chelsea in Moscow and Liverpool in Lima.
I wonder if we have any representation in the States.

Fulhamight

Great to hear about your 3 Liga experience. I'm sure we have a greater profile than in the late 90s when we had been through the doldrums a bit. Good on you !

Fulhamight

Seems to me through our player/ownership connections there are numerous blogs and fans Stateside and that's only good for the club!

alfie

Just got back from Lords, what an almighty embarrassment. Lucky we won the 2previous games
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

bobbo

Agree the catches in the slips all beginners errors.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

res

Quote from: alfie on May 29, 2017, 06:19:39 PM
Just got back from Lords, what an almighty embarrassment. Lucky we won the 2previous games

Struck me that there was a "can't care less " attitude by too many players as they had already won the series and have a load of games to play this summer....but a lack of respect to the paying customers.

alfie

Quote from: res on May 29, 2017, 07:06:19 PM
Quote from: alfie on May 29, 2017, 06:19:39 PM

Struck me that there was a "can't care less " attitude by too many players as they had already won the series and have a load of games to play this summer....but a lack of respect to the paying customers.
To right that ticket cost £94
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

G_Gribby

OK then 21st June will be a day looking forward to. A lot of planning will follow for sure.
Only Sweden has Swedish gooseberries.

Supermitch

Then Sky will get hold of the fixtures and change a lot of them  :031:

SP

What odds on Reading away for the first fixture?

G_Gribby

At Twitter everything from Millwall as a starter to Sunderland a Friday evening at the Cottage is asked for.
Only Sweden has Swedish gooseberries.

Barrett487

Boxing Day at Middlesbrough anyone?

Berserker

Expect I'll be in Edinburgh Boxing day

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Fulhamfan666

Fulhamfan666

When will we find out of any friendlies happening? In CC or not?

AlexW132

Quote from: Fulhamight on May 29, 2017, 10:52:49 AM
Great to hear about your 3 Liga experience. I'm sure we have a greater profile than in the late 90s when we had been through the doldrums a bit. Good on you !
It was a really refreshing experience in that how intimate the club is. Their fans and players and coaches hang out with each other in the club bar after the game, and even opposition fans as well given that there's never animosity between fans and most of their employees are fans working part time. After the game the players went over to the family section of the stand and spent time talking to the kids for a good 15 mins as well, which I thought was also a nice touch. I'd definitely recommend going if you're ever in Cologne. I've attached some pictures below that I took.