watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jonathan Greening

Started by TonyGilroy, February 04, 2010, 07:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyGilroy

I don't think he's received the appreciation he deserves.

The results with him in the side have been significantly better than when he's left out.

Last night he played wide left and we saw constant endeavour and nous from him. Crosses, attempts on goal and potential assists.

This was one of the few games when he's had an attacking remit but still we saw the midfield shielding and tackling. When playing in front of the defence he's stayed disciplined. Presumably playing to instructions whatever they might be.

A good player IMO.

Hazey

Agreed.  Seems to be able to slot in and do a job wherever he is asked.
At clubs with bigger memberships, their supporters only touch their colours, but at FFC we have spirit. Fulham people can touch that spirit - they are the real Cottagers, they are the club

Tktd

Tony - do you have any statistics?... Do you have statistics showing the results when he's in the side and when he's not? Win/Draw/Lose!?

Would be interesting to see them!

TonyGilroy

Can't be bothered to work it out but he played throughout the period when we climbed to 9th and missed the 5 defeats in a row.

Scrumpy

He is fast becoming a favourite of mine. He is very consistent, his tempo is always high (even against the likes of Swindon, when others could not raise their game) and he niggles away at the opposition forcing them to make mistakes.

Personally, I think he should keep his place.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

dannydog

He is in my opinion a very cultured footballer , you are right we were far more successful with him in the side . I am surprised he didn't play on the right last night as he is right footed with Duff on the left , he is also good with set pieces .

Jimpav

Adds a bit of aggression to the side. I like him-very tough for a Christian.

FFCOutpostCommander

I thought that last night was his best performance to date, even if you exclude the goal. He always looked a bit short of ideas in the middle, but seemed to have lots to offer on the wing. Sure did cover a lot of ground throughout the match. Always a hard worker regardless of the opposition. Like to see more of him.
Quietly holding down the fort in Northern NJ, USA

OldBrownShoe

Good player, seems rather under-rated by some. Should keep his place on last night's performance. Have been watching the "Skylights" of the game.
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

FC Silver Fox

Very creative last night. He had a great game and was the best midfielder we had.
Anyone notice he's not Jesus Christ  any more?  It must be the new smooth streamlined look that's making him play better.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

Jimpav

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on February 04, 2010, 10:57:00 PM
Very creative last night. He had a great game and was the best midfielder we had.
Anyone notice he's not Jesus Christ  any more?  It must be the new smooth streamlined look that's making him play better.

Are you suggesting a resurrection or a second coming FC/Silver Fox?

LRCN

he was good last night, not so much as an attacking threat (although he did get a goal, which isn't bad) BUT his defensive play was really good, made some good tackles and worked hard.

os5889

He and Shorey were very balanced, Shorey very attack minded and Greening covering the gap

The Equalizer

Greening does like his crosses...   ;)

He died for our sins, he died for our siiiins, Jonathan Greening, he died for our sins....
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

dancrawford

In answer to the questions further up the thread, I did some digging:

http://hammyend.com/?p=5234

TonyGilroy

Less difference than I'd have thought but my hunch is that if you limited it to Prem matches where he started and played most of the match, the difference would be greater.

I've no time today but I might look at that over the weekend to see if I'm right.

The Europa League is different. We've seen Riise and Kelly do well in those but unable to impress in League matches.

Greening seems to offer the discipline that Hodgson wants and needs. He does what he's supposed to do and if the entire team does that we tend not to concede and create the odd chance which might be taken.

TonyGilroy

One more post and I get to be a reserve.

dancrawford

Updated with league stats:

The bottom line is, you were right Tony.

Right, got to get on with some work now ;) ...

TonyGilroy

Quote from: dancrawford on February 05, 2010, 09:50:01 AM
Updated with league stats:

The bottom line is, you were right Tony.

Right, got to get on with some work now ;) ...

Thanks.

Worth spelling out.

With Greening 22 points from 14 games = 1.57 points per match

Without its 8 points from 10 games = 0.8 points per game.

Over a season that would be 60 points or 30 - The difference between European qualification and relegation.

richie17

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/02/05/greening-neither-a-problem-nor-a-solution/

think we might be overstating his impact slightly.  In short, we've overachieved with him and without him - he has played in some of the games we would be expected to win...