News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Outstanding book about football, a must read.

Started by jarv, June 20, 2017, 02:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

For all FFC supporters, know what an intelligent bunch you all are I must recommend a book my son just bought.

Soccernomics by Simon Kuper and Stefan Szymanski, two Americans.

For all the "stats" skeptics (including me) it goes a long way to explaining how it works and what ALL teams do now. Examples of topics are as follows....

The eyeball test and many huge mistakes in the transfer market.
The worst business in the world....but..
How Lyon won the french title 5 years in a row without spending a lot.
Safer than the bank of England, why clubs dont disappear.
Financial fair play, why it is bad for soccer.
Do coaches matter.?
Are penalties unfair? Only if you are Nicholas Anelka. An economists view.
The fans?  Loyalty, suicides, happiness.
Countries. Why England lose and others win (Spain, Germany, Brazil etc)

Statistics, some surprises...Sam Allardyce was an avid user of statistics, not just the hoof it up the field tactic. Hundreds of keepers were studied a few years ago, Craig Gordon at Sunderland, believe it or not, came out as number one. The study took into account factors such as playing behind the back 4 of Sunderland is not equal to the back 4 at Chelsea. Some normalising techniques were applied.

So, if you have some spare change, I recommend this book. I have not quite finished it but could not wait til the end to post this.

callumc513

Yeah, it's an absolutely excellent book! Think Messrs Klein and Khan Jr. are likely to be fans, too (-;

cmg

Thanks for reminding me.

Incidentally, I'm not sure about the other guy but I'm fairly sure Simon Kuper is not American. He was actually born in Africa (as, I think, was, Stefan Szymanski). He wrote the excellent 'Football Against The Enemy' (brilliant on the Netherlands v Germany rivalry) and is a big expert on Dutch football. He is British.

jarv

CMG, thank you for the corrections. I should have fact checked before posting. There is already too much "fake" news out there.

love4ffc

Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?