watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

12th September restart

Started by Andy S, July 24, 2020, 08:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

I know some people think it is great having a quick turn around for the next football season. I think it could be a disaster. The summer break allows professional footballers time for operations that have been put off. It allows footballers time to take a break away to get some sun and recharge the batteries. There are benefits to clubs as well as players can consider options to move their families etc. Surely a two month break would have been better! It seems a case of more haste to me

Roberty

They have had 3 1/2 months for that during the lock down
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Andy S

No they haven't nobody knew how long the lockdown was for. Some pulls and strains need rest and physio that means travelling to the training ground. This was not done during lockdown. Pre season training has a lot of uses including bringing young players through. The rest can prolong a players career. Not resting can shorten it. Once again it is about getting revenue in the door from the tv companies. Back in the 1960s when players stayed with one club more often than today. The demands were not as great. The old division one matches were played on a Saturday afternoon. If George Cohen was called up for England we didn't have him in our team. There were 11 English players in each team to choose from that is how England won the World Cup in 1966 and that is why we won't win it again in my lifetime.

ALG01

I agree, the re start is too soon, undue haste. Mid october would seem more sendible to allow people to re group, take stock of what was achieved in these few weks and can we do better trying to get people in.meaning supporters.

The Rational Fan

If we are in the championship quite a few players won't need a big break:

Betts
Dramah Mawson MLM S.Sess
                  KMac
           Jasper  Onamah
Kamara     Stansfield    LeTorre

Whitestone

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 25, 2020, 08:45:56 AM
If we are in the championship quite a few players won't need a big break:

Betts
Dramah Mawson MLM S.Sess
                  KMac
           Jasper  Onamah
Kamara     Stansfield    LeTorre

Those players may not need a break (except Onomah) but let's be serious out of the 11 players You have listed only Kamara, Onomha and Mawson are potential starters.

I think 12 September is too early. What is even more ridiculous is that the Premier League who only play 38 games finish 2 weeks after the rest who play 46 games.

rebel

The thing is that, if the restart is delayed until October, next season with be 'messed up', they will be forever trying to play catch up, then who knows where it will end. No doubt they can continue with the breaks in each half, plus the number of subs that can be used (with Parker Ball won't make any difference).

A early intervention is the best thing, even that comes with big problems.   

Southdowns White

I think some players and coaches will moan about It but it's the same for all teams. Put in context with the real world, many people have had no break from work for years, NHS and care workers have had very tough stressful workloads. People are living every day in terrible conditions in this country. I am really not worried that professional footballers will be starting again in September.

RaySmith

I'm i favour of it, and i expect the players will be too, after such a long enforced lay -off, I doubt they want, or need another.
More practically, it's important for the clubs not to have another long,enforced lay-off too.

While  they are still able to to start in Sept,  they should go ahead, embrace it.
Most fans wlll be glad of this too, i'm sure.

The importance of 'rest' is exaggerated.

Asotosyios

If we go to the playoff final, it will mean we will start the next season in less than 40 days - probably a 7/10-day holiday for the players and back to training. For the clubs in the Europa and Champions League it's even worse, as they will start the new season barely three weeks after the final or semi-finals. It's early, but probably the lesser of two evils.

I understand all the talk about players being tired - managers complain about that all the time. However, what's the point of having a 25-man squad if you only want to use 12-15 players and complain that they are tired. Surely they are not all on the same level, but even the backup players could be good enough to play 8-10 games a year.

bobbo

When I was playing albeit much lower level many of us played Saturday and Sunday and had 42hours a week jobs and we never had the backup care pro players have got nowadays.    Just a point.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

AnOldBrownie

Not a problem for me.   I assume the players get two weeks actual time off before the preseason starts? 

If we hear players saying it's too soon, then I'd be more inclined to take issue with it.

Personally, football has made the past 2 months much less pandemic painful than they would have been without football.

Tranfer window will now FLY by and all the bullpoo transfer gossip that we normally have read through will be much less.

COYW. :54:

Milo

Happy for quick restart if they have a mid season break.

Andy S

That is what's needed now in all leagues

Fulhamfan666

filham

Think about when the 20/21 season will finish, we really don't want it to run into the summer again and clash with the Olympics, Wimbledon etc.

cottage expat

Quote from: filham on July 26, 2020, 05:27:36 PM
Think about when the 20/21 season will finish, we really don't want it to run into the summer again and clash with the Olympics, Wimbledon etc.

..,,.,.and the Euros.

Arthur

Quote from: Whitestone on July 25, 2020, 09:05:04 AM
I think 12 September is too early. What is even more ridiculous is that the Premier League who only play 38 games finish 2 weeks after the rest who play 46 games.

It's not so ridiculous once the need to allow further time to complete the play-offs is taken into account, and that the format of both the Champions and Europa Leagues means there are far fewer weeks in which a full fixture list of midweek matches can take place in the Premier League than there are in the Championship and Leagues 1 and 2.