watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-The Bogota Bandit

Started by bog, June 26, 2017, 03:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Recently I read this excellent book. It is the story of Charlie Mitten. cmg will know all about he as his pen name is based on Charlie Mitten's greyhounds. Charlie only played for us after defying the FA to go and play in Bogota for more money. When he came back his club Manchester United disowned he and after lot of ill feeling he came to Fulham. Whilst in Bogota he played in a side with Alfredo I Stefano. He rated our Charlie so highly that he wanted he to go with him to Real Madrid!
  Charlie's penalty record at United stood for 50 years. He is still in my best ever line up, only Les Barrett coming close. 

Whilst at Fulham he spoke really well of that legendary front 5 of Stevens, Robson, Jezzard, Haynes and Mitten. He really rated the Maestro and also Arthur Stevens.  Plus he felt that there was a split in the side caused by a rift between Bill Dodgin snr and Frank Osborne that affected the side.

Like so many others, what a player who made nothing for his brilliant talents. A great read which I do recommend.

092.gif   

Peabody

I am sure he made his debut for us when we beat Middlesborough 6-0. He scored 2 and remarkably Jeff Taylor got a hat-trick. Despite this, we were relegated back to div2.

cmg

What memories from you two guys.

Bit before my time, but always struck me as an interesting sort of bloke; a man who had his priorities right.
He probably didn't make much money, but I kind of hope he made a few bob more than the usual footballers' pittance from his South American adventures.

It also struck me as ironic, given his run-in with Manchester United, that he ended up as manager at Old Trafford....the White City dog track just over the road from the football ground.

Mince n Tatties

bog

Very ironic cmg. He would have played for England so many times but he took on the football authorities....and you could not do that back then and win. He could take a penalty blindfold. Yes it was a 6-0 win on his debut. What a talent.

092.gif