watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dom Dwyer and Kellyn Acosta

Started by Fulhamerica23, July 02, 2017, 01:48:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulhamerica23

Obviously, the name gives it away, but I'm an American Fulham supporter. The only reason I supported Fulham in the first place was because the likes of Keller (who I ran into the other week and was a class act. Had a chat about his time here and getting a striker in the summer!) Bocanegra, McBride and Dempsey (we wont' mention Eddie Johnson).

USMNT beat Ghana 2-1 today through goals from Dwyer and Acosta. The former, a former Norwich Academy player who just was making his debut for the team after becoming an American citizen a few weeks ago. Real poacher. On his way to scoring double digits in MLS for the fourth consecutive year. Knows how to finish a service. Been a proponent for us signing him for awhile.

Acosta on the other hand. Box to box midfielder. Insane engine and will be a mainstay in the league to come. Honestly, MLS is below him. He's developed very well, but is due a move.

My question is, what is the perception of American's playing in England? I know we've had a few gems, but overall, are clubs, and I guess supporters, big supporters of bring in "soccer" players?

aaronmcguigan

If you are trying to ignore Eddie Johnson, what do you do with Hahnemann and Eddie Lewis?!

Personally if you've got the talent and skill, who cares what country you were born in or what country you want to represent. Most recently, Tim Ream has shown adaptability and perseverance and has won the fans over, but it's not as if the fans had reservations about him due to his nationality.

Is there any Americans you think would improve us? Not ones that are too good for the MLS, any that could specifically improve our XI

filham

McBride is without doubt one of my all time Fulham favourites and I really don't think he is fully appreciated in the State otherwise he would be President by now, the completion comes nowhere near him.

YankeeJim

Hahnemann never really got a chance. Probably because the coaches didn't think him good enough. He certainly wasn't in the same mold as so many other American keepers. Lewis played some in England. He didn't fit FFC and likely wasn't Prem quality anyway. I suspect some AYSO coach saw Eddie Johnson & immediately turned him into a striker without bothering to teach him the basics of the game. That unfortunately is the story for too many American players. If you have a bad first touch, you are not going to make it in the Prem. This is changing. Many players are learning in sand lots rather than the sterile atmosphere of AYSO. This is why we are seeing so many Hispanic  names on the US Nats roster. Lets not forget that great Hispanic, Clint Dempsey. He played fairly well, outscoring  everyone else during FFC's Prem days.
McBride? Brian would have made it in anything that he did. His drive and heart was superior to most any other player.
I came to FFC for McBride and stayed for the ambiance. Where else can you love a club long distance and have that love affirmed every day on FOF?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Forever Fulham

Quote from: YankeeJim on July 02, 2017, 04:56:00 PM
Hahnemann never really got a chance. Probably because the coaches didn't think him good enough. He certainly wasn't in the same mold as so many other American keepers. Lewis played some in England. He didn't fit FFC and likely wasn't Prem quality anyway. I suspect some AYSO coach saw Eddie Johnson & immediately turned him into a striker without bothering to teach him the basics of the game. That unfortunately is the story for too many American players. If you have a bad first touch, you are not going to make it in the Prem. This is changing. Many players are learning in sand lots rather than the sterile atmosphere of AYSO. This is why we are seeing so many Hispanic  names on the US Nats roster. Lets not forget that great Hispanic, Clint Dempsey. He played fairly well, outscoring  everyone else during FFC's Prem days.
McBride? Brian would have made it in anything that he did. His drive and heart was superior to most any other player.
I came to FFC for McBride and stayed for the ambiance. Where else can you love a club long distance and have that love affirmed every day on FOF?

Hahnemann was an excellent goalkeeper. Did quite well at Reading. 

AlexW132

There isn't that much negativity towards American players, and if there is any it's usually light hearted. I for one am proud of the strong American connection we have at Fulham, I think we've really helped remove any negative stigma applied to American players in the Premier League through McBride, Bocanegra, McBride, the lot. Wouldn't mind at all if we signed either Dwyer or Acosta, or even Dwyer's other half Sydney Leroux for that matter! (probably unlikely)