watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (09/09/10)

Started by WhiteJC, September 09, 2010, 06:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6365136/Greening-vows-to-take-his-chances?
Greening vows to take his chances

Jonathan Greening has vowed to remain patient as he bids to win a place in the Fulham midfield ahead of Danny Murphy or Dickson Etuhu.

Mark Hughes has started the season with Murphy and Etuhu - who just penned a new deal - at the heart of the side but Greening intends to make the most of any opportunities which come his way.

"I am just trying to work hard and wait for my chance to get on the field," Greening told the club's official website.

"Danny and Dickson have been doing a good job so I've just got to be patient.

"I'm ready and I've got to take my chance so the manager would find it difficult to leave me out."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/HughesSolidStart.aspx?
A Solid Start

Aaron Hughes has spoken of his satisfaction with Fulham's start to the Barclays Premier League season. The Whites were handed a tricky set of opening fixtures, with away games at Bolton and newly promoted Blackpool coming either side of a home fixture against Manchester United.

"It's been a reasonably tough start having two away games plus having your home game against United, which is not easy," Hughes told fulhamfc.com. "But I think we've done ok, we've showed in the games that we're trying to do the right things and we've also shown a bit of character, having to come back in two of those three games.

"We'll always have that, the type of players we have at the Club mean that we'll always have that side to our game. It's nice to show that we have retained that characteristic having changed manager.

"There are obviously little things we can improve upon but it's early in the season and that's going to happen. Overall I think we can take a lot of positives from it."

One such positive has been the form of new signing Moussa Dembele. The Belgian international created both goals in Fulham's draw at Bloomfield Road and also put in an impressive showing against Manchester United and Port Vale in the Carling Cup.

"He looks very good so far'" Hughes assessed. "He looked very comfortable on the ball from little bits we saw against United. In the game against Blackpool he picked the pass for Dickson's goal and some of his touches, his hold-up play and the way he moved the ball were very good – he did well so he looks a good addition to the squad.

"We haven't seen much of Carlos Salcido because of the international break but we've trained with Rafik and he looks solid, good on the ball and should fit in with the way we play here. He looks another really good signing."

Following the international break, this weekend sees Fulham back in action at Craven Cottage for the visit of Wolves.

"It's a home game so you would say that it's an opportunity to get three points on the board, but Wolves aren't doing too bad themselves," said Hughes. "They've had a decent start and it's going to be a tough game. When we played them here last year it was a hard-fought draw and we had to work hard for that. So it will certainly be the same this weekend."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/HughesSolidStart.aspx?#ixzz0z0X5bnsg

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/JimmyConwayTestimonial.aspx
Testimonial Thanks

Jimmy Conway, who starred for Fulham from 1966-76 and was a member of the 1975 FA Cup Final side, was recently honoured in Oregon with a series of Testimonial events. Conway was recently diagnosed with trauma-induced dementia.

The Jimmy Conway Testimonial was organised by Jimmy's former teammates from the Portland Timbers Soccer Club as well as local amateur football organisations.

Following the testimonial events, the Organising Committee wrote to Fulham thanking the Club for its support:

"Following an incredibly successful series of Jimmy Conway Testimonial activities I would like to take this opportunity to thank you, on behalf of the Conway family and all of our volunteers for your part in making this testimonial such a huge success.

"Thanks to your co-operation we were able to present Jimmy with a framed and autographed FFC home-team shirt from last season's incredible European run and were able to raise much-needed funds for the Alzheimer's Association from the many auction items donated by friends of Jimmy Conway, including a beautifully framed and autographed Fulham away jersey.

"More than 210 guests were treated to a memorable evening at the Tiger Woods Conference Center on the Nike campus on the occasion of the Jimmy Conway Testimonial Dinner. Representatives from US Youth Soccer, Oregon Youth Soccer, Pacific University and the Oregon State University as well as Peter Mellor (Jimmy's former team-mate at Fulham during 1975), and Dave Daly (representing fans of Fulham FC and Jimmy Conway), gathered to show their respect and support for a fabulous footballer and an even greater person, James Patrick Conway.

"We were, also, able to feature personal video messages of support from some of Jimmy's former team-mates including Les Strong. Les did an outstanding job in conveying the level of respect and admiration he, and 'his club' hold for Jimmy. He is a great ambassador for the club.

"Dave Daly's eloquent, passionate and poignant speech was the highlight of the dinner program. He told us how he became a Fulham and Jimmy Conway fan and how, these many years later, he has had the privilege of getting to know Jimmy and his family culminating with the presentation of the items donated by Fulham FC and friends of Jimmy Conway (including Ken Coton the former FFC photographer). Literally dozens of guests said that Dave's speech was the perfect punctuation for an evening devoted to the celebration of Jimmy's career and his contribution to football.

"Jimmy and Noeleen are very proud to have been associated with a club that, quite obviously, cares for everyone associated with the club, including its former players. At a time when football clubs are painted as evil mercenaries by the media it is heartening to know that London's oldest professional football club has managed to retain its reputation as a family club focused on serving its members and the community.

"We offer our sincere thanks for your support and wish you and Fulham FC the success you so richly deserve."

Mick Hoban
Jimmy Conway Testimonial
Volunteer Committee Member

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/JimmyConwayTestimonial.aspx#ixzz0z0XOdry2

WhiteJC

http://fulham.theoffside.com/team-news/re-qualifying-the-euros.html?
Re-qualifying the Euros
By: timmyg | September 8th, 2010

Is it me, or was there a Premiership season going on a few weeks ago? I can't recall because this international break has sucked all the life out of me.

I know this is a Fulham blog but I am going to diverge from my usual SW6 scribing and propose a new Euro Championship qualifying method that will eliminate these tedious international breaks while still maintaining some integrity in the qualification process.

Instead of the current egalitarian formula that UEFA uses, it could easily divide the continent into two rounds of qualifying.

Why? Because the tournament is so drawn out and so many nations involved, it's quite difficult for smaller nations to catch lightning. Anytime you increase the amount of games, you decrease the chances of upsets and Cinderella's. We're just two (in some cases one) games in and already about half the teams involved are practically eliminated.

Also, Andorra scored their first goal in a year yesterday. San Marino has conceded 11 goals in two games. Are we sure they belong in Gen Pop?

By having two rounds, smaller nations can gain valuable experience by playing another in (meaningful) games and give some of the big nation's time off. Additionally, splitting the qualification process into two rounds would also make every game matter. Currently, depending on what group and place a nation is in, games against the sixth placed teams don't even count.

I did some anoraking and came up with the following method for Euro 2016 in France (I would have done 2012 but there's no point in bickering what's already been done).

Using UEFA's latest coefficient rankings, I took the bottom 25 teams a placed them into five pots, ranked by their coefficient, as seen in the image below. I'll explain why I chose 25 in a minute.

I then randomized the groups they were placed in by drawing random numbers to correspond to letters (i.e. 1=A, 2=B, etc). Below is how the First Qualifying Round could easily look.

Each nation would play its group member twice. Using this year's calendar, these games could easily occur at the following international breaks: 3/4 and 7 September 2010, 8/9 and 12 October 2010; 12/13 and 17 November 2010; and 25/26 and 29 March 2011. This would give the bigger nations some time off to recoup from the World Cup, while also limiting the interruptions to club football.

The group winners would then advance to the Second Qualifying Round. For the sake of this scenario, I just advanced the higher seeded nations.

By having 5 teams qualify out of 25, you are left with 32 countries. Making the First Qualifying Round any smaller would muddle up the math for the Second Round. So by using 25 teams it equally provides 8 groups of 4 nations. In 2016, 15 teams will be qualifying for the Euros because France, as hosts, already qualified. Euro 2012 has two host nations, but this formula could still easily be followed with a change at the very end, which you'll see in a moment.

I then put the remaining 32 nations into four pots of 8 teams, as seen below.

Like with the first round, the groups were drawn by generating random numbers that correspond with letters. The groups could look like this:

Each team would play another twice, for a total of six games. Using this year's calendar, these games could easily occur at the following international breaks: 3/4 and 7 June 2011, 2/3 and 6 September 2011, 7/8 and 11 October 2011.

The group winners would automatically advance to the Big Dance. To make up the final 7 spots, I would have the top 6 second-placed teams with the most points also automatically qualify, while the two-lowest second-placed teams have a playoff. This method would truly make every game count, unlike the current system.

I'm sure UEFA has thought of this, only to dismiss it because it means fewer games for most nations. And fewer games mean fewer gate receipts.

WhiteJC

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2010/09/08/analysis-sunderland-and-arsenal-fly-flag-for-youth-while-fulham-and-chelsea-opt-for-oldies-09090/?
ANALYSIS: Sunderland and Arsenal fly flag for youth; Fulham and Chelsea opt for oldies
By Brian Sears
9 September 2010

After all the talk last season that Chelsea had an old team in need of freshening up, they won the title, scoring record numbers of goals in the process. So just as "you'll win nothing with kids" turned out to be off the mark, a mature side shouldn't be written off.

On that basis, Fulham and Chelsea, having fielded teams so far this season with the oldest average ages (29.3 years) should be respected for their maturity.

At the other end of the spectrum, Sunderland have started the 2010-11 season fielding the youngest starting line-ups in the whole of the Premier League. The side that kicked off the season against Birmingham at the Stadium of Light had an average age of under 25, although some of the players used since have boosted that to 25.2 years old on average, still more than four years younger than Chelsea's average.

Arsene Wenger's young Gunners, aged 25.8 years, are the next youngest team (so far), and sit second in the Premier League table at this early stage of the season, intent on showing the kids are alright.

Sportingintelligence's age analysis shows the Manchester United side kicking off at Old Trafford against West Ham before the international break averaged 29.7 years; Giggs, Scholes and Van der Sar were all included.

Our analysis (table of detail below) calculates the average ages of the players used in the three starting line-ups that each club fielded in their three matches so far played.

Arsenal, Manchester City, West Brom, Wigan and Tottenham join Sunderland in backing youth, each with average ages below 27.

Chelsea, Fulham and Stoke go with Manchester United in backing experience and all have line-ups averaging beyond 29 years old.

United scoop the prize for employment opportunities for senior citizens of the game. In goal, Edwin Van der Sar (40 next month) is the oldest 'keeper, while Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes (37 and 36 respectively in November) are the oldest outfield players so far to start a Premier League game this season.

Only five teenagers have been thrown into the start of games so far, and Phil Jones at Blackburn and Jack Wilshere at Arsenal, both 18, are the youngest. Arsenal have used as many as eight under-25s, while West Ham have played as many as seven "30-pluses".

Of note is that Bolton and Newcastle are the only clubs to have fielded the same starting X1 in all three opening games.

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/john-cross/John-Cross-column-The-Arsenal-keeper-debate-proves-that-football-is-all-about-passionate-opinions-and-long-may-it-continue-article575163.html
Arsenal keeper debate proves that football is all about passionate opinions - and long may it continue

Thanks for all the feedback on my piece in last week's column on the Arsenal goalkeeping situation .

I received plenty of abuse for daring to suggest Arsene Wenger dropped a clanger by leaving himself in a situation where he has to stick with Manuel Almunia after trying and failing to get Mark Schwarzer.

Any football fan worth his salt should get behind the players in his team. Arsenal fans will do the same for Almunia who remains as number one despite knowing the manager wanted to replace him.

But football is all about opinions, or so we keep being told. There were plenty of people who agreed about the Arsenal goalkeeping situation, too.

And what is really interesting is the way some fans will even contradict their own view just to have a go back at someone having a go at their club. That shows their passion.

But remember that football is not something out of George Orwell's Ninety Eighty-Four. There's no thought police. Opinions aren't right or wrong. They're opinions not facts.

Daring to suggest a manager or club gets something wrong doesn't mean they are anti that establishment. It just means they don't agree with that decision.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/john-cross/John-Cross-column-The-Arsenal-keeper-debate-proves-that-football-is-all-about-passionate-opinions-and-long-may-it-continue-article575163.html#ixzz0z0ZuToQR

WhiteJC

http://www.footballfancast.com/2010/09/football-blogs/why-survival-beats-silverware
WHY 'SURVIVAL' BEATS 'SILVERWARE'

The Premier League title has oscillated between Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford since the 2004/05 season. It is a matter of intense debate as to how many teams can realistically challenge for the title. Possibly three or four if you were being charitable but at the other end of the table, upwards of ten sides will be looking over their shoulder at some point in the campaign. A relegation scrap treats the fan to the full spectrum of footballing emotions. Based on the often disastrous consequences of relegation, survival is far more important for a club's future than silverware. Does the exhilaration of a relegation battle eclipse the winning of potential honours?

Judgement day in the PL usually focuses on the title race and the helicopter carrying the trophy which is occasionally in limbo for the afternoon. Far more entertaining, however, is the events at the bottom of the table. The range of outcomes can be extremely diverse. In 2009 with two games left to play Newcastle, West Brom and Middlesbrough were all on 31 points while Hull were on 34, Sunderland 36 and Portsmouth 38. In the 2006/07 season West Ham made a miraculous escape whilst in 2004/05 it had been West Brom. Two summers ago it was Fulham who staged a great escape after being all but doomed. Adding to the trophy cabinet may be thrilling but for these fans a whole series of games assumed the importance of a cup final.

The assortment of emotions and sensations a relegation battle can bring is expounded in Tim Parks' book, 'A Season with Verona.' The author followed former Serie A side, Hellas Verona to every game of their 2000/2001 season. He found camaraderie with the club's long suffering fans who often had to resort to humour throughout a frustrating season. The book highlights that in the melodramatic world of Italian football, no extra exaggeration was required when it came to the latter stages of their season. Their sense of togetherness did not cease but their hope and faith almost did. With the spectre of relegation looming, fans inevitably turn to thoughts of which players will be sold, dwindling attendances and handing the advantage to local rivals. A run of victories, not manageable all season, can still get you out of the mire. If achieved that nervous, trembling feeling can translate into relief, joy and renewed hope.

These contrasting sensations would not be lost on West Ham and Fulham fans in the past few years. Having come within a whisker of winning the 2006 FA Cup final, the Hammers were stuck in a keenly contested relegation fight the following season. A change of owners, players and manager saw them function as a loose collection of individuals for the bulk of that campaign. A battling spirit was fostered belatedly as the side eventually beat the drop. This had seemed impossible after embarrassing defeats to fellow strugglers Charlton and Sheffield United. Through the remarkable spirit of Carlos Tevez, Mark Noble and Bobby Zamora, the team took 18 points from a possible 24 and then won at Old Trafford on the final day of the season to finish 15th.

At that stage of the season games merge into rather undignified battles where everyone must put their bodies on the line. Fulham will also recall an epic escape from being certainties for relegation in the summer of 2008. Ensuring their safety the west Londoners recorded three consecutive away wins for the first time in seven seasons. Their fate appeared sealed on judgement day when rivals Birmingham and Reading were both winning but Danny Murphy rose highest to head in Jimmy Bullard's free kick at Fratton Park.

The club which was once rooted to the lower reaches of the table nearly tasted European glory in the Europa League last season. None of their glamorous European nights would have been possible without that successful battle to survive. Clubs such as West Brom prudently budget for this possibility of relegation but many more do not. The travails of Portsmouth and Hull City in the Championship this year underline this. If your club find themselves in a precarious position this year it will not seem enjoyable but if successfully negotiated nothing else will better capture the range of emotions football provides.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/09/09/fulham-wait-on-danny-murphy-deal-82029-27234024/?
Fulham wait on Danny Murphy deal

HE MAY be Fulham captain – but Danny Murphy is going to have to sit and sweat before finding out the terms of any new deal.

Even though the 33-year-old is considered a pillar of the Whites midfield, nobody at the club last night was rushing to improve a contract that makes him a free agent in January.

Fulham was set to celebrate an extension that keeps striker Bobby Zamora until 2014, and made sure Dickson Etuhu will get the same length of service earlier in the week – but the future of his midfield partner is up for grabs.

In fact, Murphy, who is studying for UEFA coaching badges, is one of six more first-teamers whose contracts expire in July next year.

An insider said: "Nothing's on the immediate horizon for Danny, and it's unlikely he will be offered any kind of coaching role when it comes to discussing his future.

"(Manager) Mark Hughes already has a full compliment of backroom staff."

WhiteJC

http://swsix.blogspot.com/2008/10/hawthorns-in-my-side.html?
Hawthorns In My Side

Humans crave certainty. We don't like doubt and ambiguity. Not in important matters anyhow. And it's a prevailing paradox that even football supporters, acolytes of a game ignited from within by it's very unpredictability, are desperate to know how a season will play out, even in it's preliminary stages.

It's the natural tendency of the brain to organise, to categorise, to make sense of incongruent elements. To join the dots into what we believe is a cogent shape.

Fulham fans have been waiting for a sign; they've been searching for a pattern. Collectively, we strive to glean sufficient evidence to formulate a prospective fate for the season. This despite there being more than 30 games to be played, together with the vagaries of the transfer market, inconvenient injuries, and who knows what other whims to be visited upon a club that at times appears to be defined by such caprices.

Even after a few games we are eager to extrapolate form across a whole season, to second-guess the remaining games, and to predict our eventual standing. Do we top up our half-full or half-empty glasses, or tip the lot away and hunker down in preparation for long agonising slide into the division below?

Prior to last Saturday's visit to West Bromwich Albion, forecasting was folly. How to assess the worth of a team that had yielded such disparate results?

A tenacious, stubborn victory against Arsenal, for so long a team for whom Fulham appeared to have been tailor-made, together with an elegant dismantling of Bolton that almost dissipated at the end. A lame surrender against a Hull team that merely dared to believe that they could win, and all-too-familiar scenes of self-destruction against a mediocre West Ham side.

Of course, such divergent swings have constituted a pattern of their own in previous seasons, the only constant being insipid away displays.

Emergent themes have already been proffered: the conceding of late goals; Hodgson's tactical intransigence; defensive infirmity; and the Murphy/Bullard curate's egg.

It was intrigues such as these that lured the White Lines charabanc out of London and up towards Birmingham. Pencil poised, lead licked and pointing pitch-wards, I committed the perennial error of allowing myself to feel optimistic before a Fulham game. We were going to win.

The whistle blows. Fulham pass the ball well now. The players are comfortable with the notion, they perform it almost automatically and, for the most part, successfully, even when angles are tight and space is limited.

Dempsey appears keen and, unable to breach the defence, fires off a few speculative 20-yarders. His threat, however, is nullified by opposition changes in the second-half that are not countered. Zamora is thwarted as he tries to turn on the edge of the box a few times. Gera shrugs off his cloak of invisibility to spurn a fine chance, before suffering some kind of Prodigal Son paralysis.

Micro-patterns emerge: build-up is generally patient (i.e. slow); desire for the perfect pass is inhibiting play and reducing openings; first-time crosses are a rarity - actual crosses are over-hit.

It's a delight to see this team passing so well and with such ease, especially after the steady erosion of this aspect post-Tigana. Consequently one is hesitant to criticise, but at times it can resemble artistry for it's own sake. There is little urgency, and forward motion is tentative. In fact, it can become somewhat soporific and, like gazing into a fish-tank, one sometimes finds oneself almost hypnotised by the graceful movements being described on the pitch below. Indeed, the players often appear to lull themselves into an almost obsessive-compulsive pattern, taking reassurance from the repetition. A comfort blanket of possession.

Individual players then appear frightened of breaking the spell, of being the weak link in the chain. No-one wants to play the probing ball that might surrender possession. When there is always a backwards or sideways outlet (usually Mr. Bullard on one of the full-back's shoulders calling for the ball) it can absolve a player from making an offensive-minded decision.

Could it be that without a defensive midfielder we lack confidence in our ability to regain lost possession? Murphy fails to get recognition for his defensive efforts, but they are inconsistent and it's not in his nature, while Bullard (perhaps understandably) appears happy to never engage in a tackle again. Ball-winning is thus rendered a weakness at present, and certainly dilutes the argument for the Murphy/Bullard partnership.

At the Hawthorns, this hesitance manifested itself most notably in the wide areas. Repeatedly we saw players unwilling to take a player on or deliver an early cross. Instead they check back, and return the ball to the increasingly-crowded central area. Here the recipient, usually Murphy, is then confronted with a forest of players in front of the 18-yard box, the opposition having had ample time to regroup.

Such sights recall the latter days of Tigana's reign: exquisite passing undermined by an unhurried build-up; time granted to the opposition to re-assemble in their box and nullify all attempts at penetration; Fulham players increasingly static as the ball is passed back and forth 20 yards out.

Just as it can appear churlish to bemoan fluent passing or abundance of possession, so it may be regarded by some as sacrilege to question Jimmy Bullard. It's his role that I query, though, for Fulham's current squad can surely not be at a level yet where someone of his ability and drive could be jettisoned as surplus to requirements? Deployed correctly, he is critical.

Bullard enjoys a lot of possession and this always suggests a significant contribution is being made. But is it aimless industry? Much of his work on Saturday comprised fetching and carrying. Does he really need to collect the ball from Hangeland's feet, ping it over to Konchesky, only to chase after it and demand it back again? Is he no more than a drone, a footballing drudge?

Against Arsenal he appeared to play a much more restricted game positionally, and the team appeared more robust, as they had to be. This team is talented enough to dance through many of it's rivals, but I fear that Bullard's insatiable roaming is dulling his creative edge, and diluting his impact.

This is a quandary for Hodgson to reckon with and hopefully resolve. He has questioned Bullard's discipline before, and one wonders if this remains an issue between them.

Of course, it is to Hodgson that the questioning eyes ultimately return when results are amiss.

Without doubt, his measured manner and equanimity through good times and bad was a critical factor towards the end of last season. His refusal to over-react neither to lumpen defeat, nor thrilling comeback, enabled a calm self-belief to flourish. Such virtues, however, cannot co-exist with a swashbuckling, devil-may-care approach. They are not compatible. Hodgson is, in this respect, the anti-Mourinho. He maintains a stubborn faith that the right choice has been made and that the players and the tactics will come good. Given time.

Over the course of the season his creed may prevail. But supporters regularly stalked by relegation grow twitchy, and understandably seek short-term assurance. And so, as patterns begin to impose themselves, foreboding grows.

WhiteJC

http://www.wolves.co.uk/page/News/0,,10307~2148466,00.html?
Boss Ready For Fulham Test

Boss Mick McCarthy is expecting the usual tough test from Fulham on Saturday as Wolves head to Craven Cottage after the international break.

It's a battle of two teams currently unbeaten in their four matches apiece this season, with Fulham having drawn all three league fixtures under new boss Mark Hughes.

And he expects Hughes to continue the good work carried out by Roy Hodgson in turning Fulham from relegation candidates to European finalists.

"I watched Fulham play against Manchester United and I thought they were excellent," says Mick.

"They play with two centre forwards and two wingers who play narrow - Fulham have got good footballers.

"And let me tell you - they'll be competitive under Mark Hughes as well.

"They've got a good team - I know he lost Paul Konchesky to Liverpool but he's got Mark Schwarzer, John Pantsil, Aaron Hughes and Brede Hangeland at the back and they're solid.

"I know all about Damien Duff and then they've got Dickson Etuhu, Danny Murphy, Simon Davies and Clint Dempsey in midfield and then up front they've got Bobby Zamora, who's got into the England set-up.

"Zoltan Gera, who plays off him, is a really good player, so they're no mugs.

"Roy assembled a really good group of players there."

With an impressive track record of both club and international management, Hughes has all the credentials to continue to take Fulham forward according to the Wolves boss.

"Mark has been a success and I don't think him losing the job at Manchester City had anything to do with him at all," he added.

"It was down to circumstances, and sometimes circumstances dictate that you can't stay at a club.

"You have to wipe your gob and get on with it, and he's back at Fulham and I'm sure he'll make a success of it."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/TenYearsAtTheTop.aspx?
Ten Years At The Top

The 2010/11 season is Fulham Football Club's 10th consecutive campaign in the Premier League – our longest unbroken spell in the top tier of English football.

To celebrate this impressive landmark, the official Fulham FC magazine, Fultime, is running a series of features, breaking down your top 10 highlights of the past decade, and we need your help in choosing those moments.

For this autumn issue, we want to countdown the best 10 matches of the Premier League years. So, using the brief form provided, please tell us your top three matches, along with a couple of lines explaining why they were so great.

From taking the lead at Old Trafford in our first ever Premier League fixture, to the 3-2 comeback victory against Spurs at Loftus Road in 2002, winning the SW6 derby at the Cottage in 2006, the crucial run-in in the 2008 'great escape', and recent defeats of Manchester United and Liverpool, there are plenty to choose from, as well as the countless others that stand out for various dramatic or sentimental reasons.

Tell us which ones stands out in your mind and why, and look out for your name, and the results, in Fultime magazine this October.

(NB: Please keep your responses to Premier League matches only.)

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/TenYearsAtTheTop.aspx?#ixzz0z2kC3TI9

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/PlayerOfTheMonth.aspx
Player Of The Month

The Whites ended the first month of the new campaign unbeaten following some memorable performances in August and now it's your turn to cast your vote for Fulham's Player of the Month.

Mark Hughes' Team got their Barclays Premier League season off to a solid start, taking a well earned point (0-0) from the Reebok Stadium against Owen Coyle's Bolton Wanderers.

On Sunday 22nd August the Whites produced a stunning comeback against Manchester United at the Cottage to earn another valuable point. After Paul Scholes had given United an early lead, Simon Davies brought the Whites level just before the hour mark. Six minutes from time Brede Hangeland had the misfortune of turning the ball into his own net to hand United a late advantage.

The final five minutes of play saw the Cottage erupt, first when David Stockdale produced a stunning penalty save to deny Nani, before Hangeland made amends a minute from time with a powerful headed goal past van der Saar. Fulham's players had once again shown tremendous spirit and determination to rescue a point against Sir Alex Ferguson's side.

Three days later Hughes' side faced a potentially tricky Carling Cup tie against Port Vale at the Cottage. However the contest turned into a rout, with Fulham smashing six past their League Two opponents. The goals flew in with Zoltan Gera (2), Bobby Zamora (2), Clint Dempsey and summer signing Moussa Dembele all getting on the score sheet.

The final game of August saw Fulham travel to Blackpool to face Ian Holloway's team at Bloomfield Road. Once again Hughes' side had to come from behind late on after falling 2-1 behind. The hero of the hour was Dickson Etuhu, who scored a simply sublime goal from Moussa Dembele's through ball three minutes from time. Etuhu's strike earned Fulham their third League point of the month in a game that once again saw David Stockdale excel in goal.

It was certainly an action packed and entertaining month for Fulham with a whole host of outstanding performances - now it's your turn to tell us who should be the Club's Player of the Month for August.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/PlayerOfTheMonth.aspx#ixzz0z2kXwrds

WhiteJC

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/betting/1028/2/punters-think-jackett-required-welsh-job?
Punters Think Jackett is Required for Welsh Job

Millwall boss Kenny Jackett is the favourite for the Welsh job after John Toshack stepped down after six years in charge.

"Punters think a Jackett is required for Wales and he fits all the criteria," said Betfred.com spokesman Mark Pearson.

"He was capped 31 times for Wales and he did a great job getting Millwall into the Championship via the play-offs and he's the best backed candidate so far."

Toshack has stepped down from his role with immediate effect and the Welsh FA will have to move quickly with next month's crucial double-header with Bulgaria and Switzerland.

Two candidates to already declare their interest in the job are former Fulham manager Coleman, who is 3/1, who is out of work after being sacked by Coventry City in May, and former Wales striker John Hartson, who has never managed but has completed the relevant UEFA Pro Licence qualification at 12/1.

Welsh youth guru Brian Flynn who is also 3/1 and would be a popular successor.

As would former Wales captain Ryan Giggs at 11/1 with Betfred.com, but the superstar winger is still playing in the Premier League with Manchester United, but is doing his coaching badges.

Next Permanent Wales Manager
Kenny Jackett - 11/4
Chris Coleman - 3/1
Brian Flynn - 3/1
Dean Saunders - 8/1
Mark Bowen - 9/1
Ryan Giggs - 11/1
Alan Curbishley - 12/1
John Hartson - 14/1
Gary Megson - 16/1
Paul Trollope - 16/1
Simon Davey - 20/1