watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR July 1st 1916

Started by ron, July 01, 2017, 08:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ron

The  anniversary comes around for the 101st time...

Lest we forget  9739.gif

nose

remains a poingniant reminder of what can happen

Barrett487

Thanks for reminding us all  9739.gif

Crazy number of lives lost.

ron

Perhaps it isn't so "Non Fulham Related" after all nose......how many of those 19257 young fellows who never saw the sun set on that dreadful day were supporters of our club...young, proud, and full of hope for the future ......?

nose

i think the book and film all quiet on the western front and War Horse are probably the best 'artistic' representation of the futility of iot all.
There aren't really words to describe what we feel about such things but when you look round and see people still needlesly slaughtering other people, and the year is 2017, and we have all this technology and information to prove the extreme ideas are fatally flawed, one wonders what it will take to make people finally come to their senses.

f321ffc

Had a couple of days touring the Somme earlier in the year, something that I had planned to do for many years.
Seeing the many cemetery's scattered with thousands of headstones bearing the names of so many young men and boys was very emotional.
Stayed at a farm house B&B in the middle of nowhere, just a few houses scattered around but on that farm there was a cemetery, imagine my thoughts when visiting that cemetery when the first headstone i see is of a young soldier with the same name as me.
My Christian name and Surname are not common names and the spelling of my surname is unusual yet the first headstones young soldiers names  were spelt exactly the same as mine, still makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck.
RIP ALL THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR OUR FREEDOM :medal: 065.gif
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

ffc73

I am off to Ypres for a week in August to visit my Great Grandfathers grave for the first time.  Pte Stanley Lowe, killed on 16 August 1917 during the Passchendaelle offensive.  My Grandmother was 19 months old when her father made the ultimate sacrifice.

The THIRD battle of Ypres.  Another bloody offensive in a catalogue between 1914 and 1918.

filham

But the world never learns, for the last century there has been war after war with millions being killed and injured. Even today with advances in medicine, education , technology , agriculture and communications we are more prepared to pump billions into war preparation than to cure natural problems facing people.