watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

"Lack of signings"

Started by wheelerdeeler, July 09, 2017, 04:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheelerdeeler

Just thought I'd point this out to people complaining about a supposed "lack of signings". This time last year we'd only made two signings (not including Michael Madl who was basically a done deal already). When we got back from our first Pre-Season trip in Ireland we then proceeded to sign 5 new players in the next two weeks. Kalas, Odoi, Malone, Button and McDonald.

There was then a gap which was presumably as a result of us waiting on the McCormack money to come in whereas this year we've got our sales out of the way early with Malone, Jozabed and Stearman and I'd guess that only Sigurdsson and Bettinelli and/or Button will be on their way between now and the end of August unless a big offer came in for someone else.

We've already signed Cisse and Djalo who are good depth signings. The next two weeks will be where we conduct most of our business, and if we haven't you can all come back to this and tell me I'm wrong in saying there's absolutely no need to panic about a "lack of signings" when we're in the second week of July.

Woolly Mammoth

That's fair comment, we won't panic, but we are all agreed to a man then, that if your predictions turn out to be incorrect, we can all come back here and sue you for every penny you have.
It's a no lose situation.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

WhiteJC

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on July 09, 2017, 04:09:46 PM
Just thought I'd point this out to people complaining about a supposed "lack of signings". This time last year we'd only made two signings (not including Michael Madl who was basically a done deal already). When we got back from our first Pre-Season trip in Ireland we then proceeded to sign 5 new players in the next two weeks. Kalas, Odoi, Malone, Button and McDonald.

There was then a gap which was presumably as a result of us waiting on the McCormack money to come in whereas this year we've got our sales out of the way early with Malone, Jozabed and Stearman and I'd guess that only Sigurdsson and Bettinelli and/or Button will be on their way between now and the end of August unless a big offer came in for someone else.

We've already signed Cisse and Djalo who are good depth signings. The next two weeks will be where we conduct most of our business, and if we haven't you can all come back to this and tell me I'm wrong in saying there's absolutely no need to panic about a "lack of signings" when we're in the second week of July.

added to this both Sessegnons and TC has signed "extended" contracts and getting Parker off the books look to be a reasonable bit of business this early  :54:

Lighthouse

Frustration is because we really are only looking for  three players minimum for the first team. For that spine in the team. The same spine we needed to strengthen last year. Now we tried and failed in two positions and as for the lack of forwards, didn't seem to be close. Hence the frustration. Or at least my frustration.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Woolly Mammoth

All good comments on here. We have a month before Ko, and the another two or three weeks after that, but it would be nice to tie down a suitable striker or two, and definately another centre back, asap, I would not want to drop points because we were too mean to shell out another 500,000 English Pounds.
The exit door has been far busier that the incoming door, so it must be a lonely place at  Motspur Park at the moment.
Let's hope Jok gets the targets he needs and wants, without any interference from the Three Stooges.

Never forget your Roots.

bill taylors apprentice

The point is we need the right players in asap and not after the seasons started.

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on July 09, 2017, 09:03:37 PM
The point is we need the right players in asap and not after the seasons started.

And there's still 27 Days until the season even kicks off. As I said, in two weeks feel free to come back to this and tell me I was wrong to think we'll have done most/key bits of business between now and then. I'd say we'd be close to done by the time we play Wolfsburg.

fulhamben

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on July 09, 2017, 09:27:31 PM
Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on July 09, 2017, 09:03:37 PM

And there's still 27 Days until the season even kicks off. As I said, in two weeks feel free to come back to this and tell me I was wrong to think we'll have done most/key bits of business between now and then. I'd say we'd be close to done by the time we play Wolfsburg.
need to be. The late signing of Martin destroyed us last season. Can't waste another 6 games trying to get a key player up to speed
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Woolly Mammoth

Players need to be bedded in and become familiar with Fulham's system of play. So time is of the essence, incoming deals need to be completed before the commencement of the season.

Never forget your Roots.

Walsh

Currently 3 out (4 if you class Parker as a first team player) and 2 in (1 which isn't a position we need)

I'd put that down as a slow start, granted we have a long way to go.

Needed (priority order) :

1. ST
2. ST
3. CB
4. LB
5. CB
6. GK

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: Statto on July 10, 2017, 12:32:24 AM
Quote from: Walsh on July 10, 2017, 12:18:46 AM
Currently 3 out (4 if you class Parker as a first team player) and 2 in (1 which isn't a position we need)

1. ST
2. ST
3. CB
4. LB
5. CB
6. GK

"Needed"

1. Striker
2. CB

Anything beyond that would be nice but not necessary
IMO

Striker, Centre-Back and a Keeper and I'd say we've got the 11 set for Norwich. We obviously need more depth though, signings like Piazon.

aaronmcguigan

if a goalkeeper was nice but not necessary, we would have Betts training with our first team.

If we go into game 1 with Button/Joronen/ Rodak, 2 of which Betts was second choice to but overcame that, means it's essential that Betts gets in that first team squad or we get a number one quick. One that goes straight into the team who can deal with commanding a new defence in a new league .

I'd love the GK position to be a nice to improve on rather than essential , but not even having Betts in Poland is a clear signal of intent , doesn't matter if it was instigated by Slav or Betts.

In my mind he's earned a chance to be number 1, and by that I mean number 1 , completely supported , and actively coached to improve, but I can see why people want an instant improvement. I usually present things in a balanced way but that improvement does not include Button as number 1, and in Slavs eyes Betts isn't either so it's essential someone else comes in

nose

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on July 09, 2017, 04:09:46 PM

Actually I complained about the lack of proper signings in the last summer window as did the manager himself! I certainly complained about the lack of additions in winter. I think based on what we have seen in the last year or so we are not unreasonably very uneasy. It may all work out for the best, I hope so.

Walsh

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on July 10, 2017, 12:41:08 AM

1. ST
2. ST
3. CB
4. LB
5. CB
6. GK

"Needed"

1. Striker
2. CB

IMO

Striker, Centre-Back and a Keeper and I'd say we've got the 11 set for Norwich. We obviously need more depth though, signings like Piazon.

Who do you play at left back? Sessengnon?

Woolly Mammoth

I feel that the best signings, or should I say key signings are yet to emerge. I am sure the staff are beavering away in the background, crossing the eyes and dotting the teas, or is ir the other way round.
Anyway, I reckon they are saving the best until last.

Never forget your Roots.

nose

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 10, 2017, 11:23:04 AM
I feel that the best signings, or should I say key signings are yet to emerge. I am sure the staff are heaving away in the background, crossing the eyes and dotting the teas, or is ir the other way round.

I think the idea is to get the bulk in ASAP to give Slavisa as long as possible to mould the squad

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: nose on July 10, 2017, 11:30:28 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 10, 2017, 11:23:04 AM
I feel that the best signings, or should I say key signings are yet to emerge. I am sure the staff are heaving away in the background, crossing the eyes and dotting the teas, or is ir the other way round.

I think the idea is to get the bulk in ASAP to give Slavisa as long as possible to mould the squad

I agree 👍⚽️

Never forget your Roots.

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: Walsh on July 10, 2017, 11:14:51 AM
Quote from: wheelerdeeler on July 10, 2017, 12:41:08 AM

1. ST
2. ST
3. CB
4. LB
5. CB
6. GK

"Needed"

1. Striker
2. CB

IMO

Who do you play at left back? Sessengnon?

... or Odoi. Wouldn't have many complaints if either of them were to start against Norwich, or indeed the season.