watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Who Should Play At Right Back?

Started by White Noise, February 04, 2010, 09:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

The consensus seems to be that Kelly is too much of a risk at RB at present and I wonder if Baird is the best bet we have there.

Given KG's performance against Pompey he looks the best bet in the centre perhaps Baird should be moved to RB?

Who would you play there?

Jimpav

Kelly was awful last night but luckily Duff and Hughes could give him some support. I think we should keep faith though as Baird is a much better in midfield than right back. I'm hoping that he will only gain confidence with more practise- it wasn't long ago that JP was having shockers, yet a season later he was terrorising Drogba.

Keep the faith. 

Brede Butter Pudding

I think we should keep Kelly there. All he needs is one or two games to gain his confidence.  He was faced with an extremely energetic and wound-up Boateng/O'Hara/Yebda etc etc who aren't easy customers and I think he is athletic and is also a good crosser of the ball, even if yesterday's performance didn't necessarily show it. I would keep him there but I also feel that Baird recently has been under-par. I think that he may need a break and that Dika has now proven himself to be more than reliable and should be given a full game to show what he can do. Furthermore, Bolton on saturday will be extremely physical, and I think this suits Dika's game moreso than Baird's. It is also for this reason that I believe Okaka would be better suited up front on saturday than Nevland as he is far stronger and athletic than Nevland who may be brushed aside by Cahill and co. We will have to wait and see what Roy decides, although I'm pretty sure Nevland will start up top with Bobatov.

Hazey

Throw Stoor in for a couple of games and see what happens I say.  he can do no worse than Stoor and then we won't be left wondering if he would of made it.

Agree with KD in the middle also, maybe with Greening.  Duff and Davies on the wings.
At clubs with bigger memberships, their supporters only touch their colours, but at FFC we have spirit. Fulham people can touch that spirit - they are the real Cottagers, they are the club

Dugliss

I agree that Baird appears to have gone off the boil lately

Scrumpy

I think the team that finished on Wednesday, should all keep their places. If Nevland is still having toe trouble, maybe start with Okaka. But Baird was looking much better in the Right Full-back berth and Dick Chewy seemed to add some much-needed presence in the middle of midfield.

English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Chopper

Personally I think we should stick with Kelly as this is the role for which we bought him. However, it's very unlike Roy to remove a defender unless he's injured and seeing Kelly subbed in the last two games does suggest to me that Roy is not impressed. I'd certainly back Chris Baird at full back if Kelly is out of favour, I think he's better equipped (and supported) to do the role now than under Sanchez.
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

bigalffc

Either Baird or Stoor as long as it's not Kelly-He is definitely not good enough and should br released on a free and deported from the country for the sake of football.
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

finnster01

Deer in headlight comes to mind watching Kelly, the only difference deer can actually move under pressure
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

vagrant

It has to be Stoor.  When he first came to the club I was so pleased. Because of my Norwegian connections I had seem him play a few times for Rosenborg, and he was a very good attacking wing back who played for the top Norwegian team and his country, Sweden.  In anyone's book that makes him a half decent player.

I will be the first to admit it hasn't happened for him at Fulham.  But you could argue that's down to a number of reasons.  I don't know what he was told when he signed but because of Pantsil he never broke into the team.  Also Pantsil was becoming a bit of a cult hero with the fans because he ran round the pitch at the final whistle applauding the home fans.  Never mind the poor defending on many occasions and the errors, he was forgiven.  Unlike Stoor who, when he finally got into the team, every misplaced pass, header and error was seized upon and used against him a la Baird.

Baird has proved that he's a good player, as was blatantly obvious to all the knowledgable Fulham supporters, and I really believe that if Stoor could be. Given a decent run in the team, he would prove a success as well.  He's a confidence player, who should have our support.

One last thing about Stoor.  If he's to be treated as a bit player in the squad, why did we buy him?  An international?  Surely he was scouted?

Burt

Mr Vagrant sir, I take your point re Stoor (I think we have not seen the best of him) but having said that I wouldn't be as critical as you re Pantsil - after a slow start I think he has improved dramatically, and apart from the odd mistake here and there he has been one of our more consistent performers. If he was shocking I for one wouldn't applaud him on his lap of honour...

Chopper

Based on the performances I've seen Stoor isn't any better than Kelly. In fact the two performances that stand out in my memory were home and away against Swansea in the cup when he was considerably worse.
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

scotty

I feel that Baird is definitely our best option at the moment. I am not opposed to Stoor but surely there is a reason Roy has left him out so often.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Chopper on February 05, 2010, 09:04:15 PM
Based on the performances I've seen Stoor isn't any better than Kelly. In fact the two performances that stand out in my memory were home and away against Swansea in the cup when he was considerably worse.
You should have seen Stoor at Kettering, makes Kelly look like a superstar.

FFCOutpostCommander

I would start Baird as he was very solid when moved there last game and actually put in a few good crosses on getting forward. He also has more time in with Duff who will surely start at the right mid and we have to stop all the change ups and settle on a line up. I personally think that has been a big part of our recent drop in form. If he gets too shaky I would try Stoor as Kelly needs to find some matches with less pressure to regain his confidence. He has gone backwards since receiving more playing time and at this point might have to have a few run outs with the reserves again. I hope he makes it back as he showed a few brief good moments early on attacking.
Quietly holding down the fort in Northern NJ, USA

dancrawford

Kelly. Keep the faith - the boy will come good - he just needs a run in his natural position with a regular starter at RM in front of him. Stoor won't be playing anytime soon (that much is obvious) and we should have learned that Baird isn't a right back by now, except in the most extreme emergency.

SuffolkWhite

Give Smalling a go, I bet he would do well.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"