watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Labor Day -- non U [see what I did there?]

Started by HatterDon, September 06, 2010, 01:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

Today is Labor Day, a day ostensibly set aside to recognize the struggle of the working class and the ultimate success of labor unions. However, since to a large majority of Americans "labor unions" is a phrase one shouldn't utter in polite company, Labor Day is really the culmination of a three-day weekend associated with overeating, too much alcohol, and stupid human tricks in lakes, ponds, beaches and back yard swimming pools.

Naturally, I'm above all that, but I AM a traditionalist. It's now 0716. Two slabs of ribs have been in the smoker for 45 minutes. They'll be rescued around 1330. There'll be sausage and chicken on the grill around 1300. Around 1400, family and friends will descend upon the casa [which I'm seriously thinking of renaming "Craven Cottage, SA"], to help me with the wine, Dos Equiis Amber, and Diet Dr. Pepper. They'll be bringing with them several go-withs. Together, we'll ignore the working class and gorge ourselves on plenty.

Of course, we could always just call it The August Bank Holiday. As I remember, it regulary fell in September anyhow.

:beer:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

duffbeer

hope everyone enjoys the day.  cheers.

I've been laboring on the fixer-upper all weekend and will continue to do so today.  The only breaks will be to take in a little US Open.  Yesterday I had the unexpected surprise of seeing my former neighbor's daugter (Nicole Gibbs) playing a 15 yr old russian phenom in the junior tournament.  She fought back from 4-6, 0-4 down to get to a second set tie-break but lost. The Russian girl is 5'4", 15 yrs old and serves consistently at 110 mph - wow!  She will be a top ten player someday.  Three of the top American female juniors are from Cleveland - Nicole Gibbs, Kyle McPhillips, and Lauren Davis.  They grew up practicing together and didnt realize how good they were until Nicole played her first National tournament and won the whole thing.  

Hatter, I'll be looking for a care package from you with some ribs.  Seven hours, that's a dedicated chef.   :beer: 

LBNo11

...if ever there was a classic misnomer for a holiday, Labor/Labour day, a day where the majority of people don't work, has to be up there..!
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

White Noise

RidgeRider

Quote from: White Noise on September 06, 2010, 09:42:25 PM
God bless the workers of America.  :54:

God bless you White Noise! You just put a big smile on my face.  :045:

Hatter, hope the ribs turned out perfectly. I have no doubt they were amazing as I know you are well practiced at the art of BBQ. We didn't fire up a single charcoal this year and no over eating occured. We spent some quality time with the kids and got three good days of training in.

finnster01

Mr Hatter,

Top post.

Actually, I actually laboured the whole weekend as I had a deliverable for a client and my girlfriend was pissed because no beach, no BBQ, no nothing, just call out for a delivery.

So I am in the dog house for a bit as I guess the Americans take this holiday very seriously and no BBQ is like swearing in church...
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

RidgeRider

Quote from: finnster01 on September 07, 2010, 04:25:58 PM
Mr Hatter,

Top post.

Actually, I actually laboured the whole weekend as I had a deliverable for a client and my girlfriend was pissed because no beach, no BBQ, no nothing, just call out for a delivery.

So I am in the dog house for a bit as I guess the Americans take this holiday very seriously and no BBQ is like swearing in church...

All work and no play make Finn a very dull boy. Getting more an more Americanized each day.  :dft012:

HatterDon

The harbinger of Tropical Storm Hermine put paid to the swimming while drunk portion of the festivities, but I got all the food in on time and the rain pretty much held off until today -- we're supposed to get 2-5 inches of rain from it.

One of the day's highlights was sitting on my back porch with Ag drinking Dos Equiis and Shiner Bock and talking Fulham for a good two hours after most everyone else had left.

finnster01

Quote from: HatterDon on September 07, 2010, 09:35:48 PM
The harbinger of Tropical Storm Hermine put paid to the swimming while drunk portion of the festivities, but I got all the food in on time and the rain pretty much held off until today -- we're supposed to get 2-5 inches of rain from it.

One of the day's highlights was sitting on my back porch with Ag drinking Dos Equiis and Shiner Bock and talking Fulham for a good two hours after most everyone else had left.
Shiner Bock is excellent Mr Hatter. Sounds like a very good time was had by all  :045:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

HatterDon

Quote from: finnster01 on September 08, 2010, 08:15:04 AM
Quote from: HatterDon on September 07, 2010, 09:35:48 PM

Shiner Bock is excellent Mr Hatter. Sounds like a very good time was had by all  :045:

To the best of my recollection, I think that's correct!  :beer:

AmericanJames

At university this holiday is just an excuse for a 3 day drinking weekend and one day less of class the following week. I cant say i drank shinner bock all weekend but i think i made up for it in shear quantity  :beer:
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

timmyg

I actually did little drinking and little grilling this past holiday.

Instead, I enjoyed the fruits of my labor (my car) [see what i did there?] and enjoyed the outdoors and explored parts of MD that I and the missus had not been.
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

Steve_orino

The boy learned how to ride his bike on Saturday...

We awoke early on Sunday & drove 2 hours East to Mt. Pleasant to attend Church.  After Church we joined up with the Missus' family at their lakehouse on Lake Bob Sandlin for 'Fun on the Boat'!  Skiing, Fireworks, Steaks, & a two-hour drive back at 9:30 made for a long day...

Awoke early again on Monday to join my side of the family as we went to a local bike trail to ride about 10 miles (No Butt-Butter required).  I followed the boy around as he learned the 'customs' of trail riding and the Missus ran in preparation of a couple of K's she has signed up for.  After we ate some breakfast at a pavilion on the trail we all gathered round and played kickball!  Don't know who won but we had some good laughs.  A couple of us came back to the house for burgers, hot dogs, & brews and we jumped into the pool.

Every weekend should be a Labor Day weekend!
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

pettyfog

On Labor Day, I labored on my son's house addition project.

Shiner Bock is almost du riguer for Texicans, seems to me. I like it but I dont drink beer much and you all recall I'm happy with Sam Adams or Dos Equis, failing that Bud Light is good enuff.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: HatterDon on September 06, 2010, 01:18:51 PM
Today is Labor Day, a day ostensibly set aside to recognize the struggle of the working class and the ultimate success of labor unions. However, since to a large majority of Americans "labor unions" is a phrase one shouldn't utter in polite company, Labor Day is really the culmination of a three-day weekend associated with overeating, too much alcohol, and stupid human tricks in lakes, ponds, beaches and back yard swimming pools.

Naturally, I'm above all that, but I AM a traditionalist. It's now 0716. Two slabs of ribs have been in the smoker for 45 minutes. They'll be rescued around 1330. There'll be sausage and chicken on the grill around 1300. Around 1400, family and friends will descend upon the casa [which I'm seriously thinking of renaming "Craven Cottage, SA"], to help me with the wine, Dos Equiis Amber, and Diet Dr. Pepper. They'll be bringing with them several go-withs. Together, we'll ignore the working class and gorge ourselves on plenty.

Of course, we could always just call it The August Bank Holiday. As I remember, it regulary fell in September anyhow.

:beer:
Sigh