more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

SuperMitch's story- a lifetime supporting Fulham

Started by dannyboi-ffc, July 06, 2017, 03:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboi-ffc

Hi Guys,

We recently asked a couple of members to do a write up of their story following the Whites. SuperMitch is someone I know quite well thanks to Friends of Fulham and I'd struggle to think of a supporter I've met who rivals him for knowledge and dedication.

I hope you enjoy his story.  049:gif

Why Fulham? Well, it was very easy reason for me.  Whilst I was brought up in Staines my parents / grandparents / other family originated from SW6 (the good part).  When my Dad started taking me to games, about 5 a season, we'd go to the match by train and then go to visit my Grandad afterwards (he lived near the Fulham Road / Fulham Palace Road junction).  When I started going to matches on my own I'd continue to go to see my elderly Grandfather afterwards, he had gone blind by then but was always interested to know what was happening at Craven Cottage.  He always told me he'd been at the first game at Craven Cottage in 1896 as a 15 year old.

My first match at Craven Cottage was in September 1968, the season after relegation from the old Division 1.  It was against Blackburn Rovers and was one of the 2 matches that week televised for Match of the Day.  With the footage now available on You Tube I can see my first Fulham goal (Malcolm Macdonald) again and again.  I don't recall too much about it except that it hammered down with rain and we were in the Putney End.  It didn't put me off though and that season went a further 4 times without seeing a win.  4 league draws in another relegation season plus the FA Cup defeat to West Brom in the highest crowd I've been in (officially) at the Cottage.

It was the first game I went to of the following season that saw my first win, 4-3 v Plymouth Argyle which turned out to be Johnny Haynes last goal for the club.  I also saw his final match v Stockport County later that season.

Relatives encouraged me to keep a record of the matches I attended which I did in a large book, am so pleased I did and still maintain the record to this day, albeit all computerised now.  I loved going to matches and also attended many games at Staines Town, then in the Spartan League.  That was about a 15 minute walk for me from home.

In 1972-73 season I saw my first away games.  The first was at The Den, John Mitchell scored in the first minute or so in a 3-1 victory.  Going there was certainly an eye opener.  I also saw 2 late season defeats at Orient and QPR.
I didn't go to any of the away 1975 FA Cup run matches until Maine Road, luckily that was during the school holidays and an unforgettable night.  It was a thrill to see Fulham at Wembley but was a familiar end result on the big stage.
When I started work I was able to travel to more and more away games and got the bug of visiting different grounds, including at non-league level.

I missed virtually all the away games for a few years in the early / mid 1990's when my children were born.  My daughter was born on the day of an FA Cup replay with Gillingham and I've thanked her for her timing as we lost 2-1.  I missed a number of "new grounds" with Fulham in those years but some things are more important (despite what some may say).

The European runs were fantastic but I couldn't go to the early 2002 Inter Toto matches due to work commitments.  I made my European away debut in Zagreb and also went to Berlin that season.  There were plenty more opportunities and unforgettable trips in 2009-10 of course.
On the pitch in terms of entertainment there have been 4 real standout teams for me:  the Supermac one of 1982-83, the Tigana team of 2000-01, Sir Roy's of 2009-10 and last season's team put together by Slavisa.  There have been an equal number of seasons (probably more actually) at the total other end of the spectrum.

You'll see me selling TOOFIF by the Press Office before matches and I write the odd bit of statistical nonsense for the superb fanzine (got to get a plug in for David Lloyd's efforts).

Outside of Fulham (and football) matters I have been a member of Middlesex County Cricket Club for over 40 years and regularly go to watch them, especially the county matches.  I also play Table Tennis at local league level and help to run Ashford Table Tennis Club.

One thing that I must say is how the love of Fulham brings people together, the Fulham family.  I've got to know a great number of people through our mutual love of the club, many of whom have become really good friends.  We are all so lucky in having made the right choice / having it made for us and also for Craven Cottage being our home, no better ground in the country.

Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

e4b

Thanks for that. Perhaps we will meet when i buy my copy of TOOFIF

love4ffc

I always love reading about fellow FoF members. 

Curious, just how long as your family been supporting Fulham?  Doing the quick math it looks to be 70+ years between your grandfather's first game and your first game.

Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Burt

Supermitch

Quote from: love4ffc on July 06, 2017, 06:25:00 PM
I always love reading about fellow FoF members. 

Curious, just how long as your family been supporting Fulham?  Doing the quick math it looks to be 70+ years between your grandfather's first game and your first game.

Thanks for the comments.

My Dad was 39 when I was born, and my Grandad 39 when my Dad was born.  Both my Dad & I were (not surprisingly) the youngest of the respective children.

aaronmcguigan

Quote from: Supermitch on July 06, 2017, 09:25:37 PM

My Dad was 39 when I was born, and my Grandad 39 when I was born.

Without judging, family relations can be close, but how were your dad and granddad the same age when you were born.

Supermitch

Quote from: Newry FFC on July 06, 2017, 10:09:32 PM
Quote from: Supermitch on July 06, 2017, 09:25:37 PM

My Dad was 39 when I was born, and my Grandad 39 when I was born.

Without judging, family relations can be close, but how were your dad and granddad the same age when you were born.

Doh!  Corrected now.  My Grandad was 39 when my Dad was born.

Jonaldiniho 88

You have condensed what has spanned a greater period than I've been alive into less words than I can make my twenty years. Great read. Don't trust anything eb4 gives you. I owe it to him and I'm broke. Other than that such a great read.

jarv

Good read. I must stop by to get a copy of toofif on my next trip over. Staines Town, a mate of mine (work colleague way back) played in goal for them. About 1970 I think. Blond lad, Phil Wigley, not very tall for a keeper, any recollections ?

Supermitch

Quote from: jarv on July 07, 2017, 04:24:48 PM
Good read. I must stop by to get a copy of toofif on my next trip over. Staines Town, a mate of mine (work colleague way back) played in goal for them. About 1970 I think. Blond lad, Phil Wigley, not very tall for a keeper, any recollections ?

No sorry - name doesn't ring a bell.  Peter Archer was the keeper then, long serving stalwart.  I will ask the Staines secretary when I next see him, he's a great historian of the club and has incredible records.

e4b

Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on July 07, 2017, 12:54:29 AM
You have condensed what has spanned a greater period than I've been alive into less words than I can make my twenty years. Great read. Don't trust anything eb4 gives you. I owe it to him and I'm broke. Other than that such a great read.

You been on the ale again mate

BarneyTravers

Great stuff Supermitch...really enjoyed that.

My uncle went to the Sheff Utd  cup final defeat in 36 and told me about it but you guys go back to not the last century but the one before that.

Top man you

coyw

Fluts

Interesting read, Dave, and I know that if I need to know anything about our lovely team that I am not able to recall, you can always help me out.  Let's hope we continue to make good memories at The Cottage thus coming season

filham

Nicely presented and a good read, thank you.

bobbo

I enjoyed your read supermitch , I feel embarrassed to say my memory of matches , goals , incidents etc is poor where fulham is concerned but I'm no less dedicated to them than all you others.

Re Staines town I was very friendly and worked with George Talbot   A ferocious fullback and sadly no longer with us. I was with his brother Colin last weekend.
1975 just leaving home full of hope