watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Corners

Started by grandad, August 07, 2017, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandad

Yet again our corners are shocking. 7 awarded & not one looked like creating a goal. This has been the same story over the last few seasons. Why don´t our CB´s attack the ball as Roger Brown & to a lesser extent Hangeland did.

Even in my low level playing I took all our corners & rarely failed to deliver a telling cross. I also happened to be the RB.

Why do so many of our players find it so difficult to cross a dead ball 30 yards.
Where there's a will there's a wife

nose

I agree.
It is not just us
The art of the dead ball cross seems to be on the wain.
I  also think players spend so long holding and pushing in the box they forget to run and jump

abfg

To be fair there was the one with the nearpost flick and then header in the middle. Nearly a goal and nearly the perfect corner. Other than that generally agree, but we do have a very small team.

Holders

You know when Brown or Went went up for a corner that there was a good chance of a goal.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Chutney

We have a very short squad to be fair, especially without kmac in the team.
C O Y W

grandad

Just had a look on Youtube at some of Brown´s goals. Most of them he made his run from outside the box & timed it superbly planting bullet headers. CB´s today are more static in the box so can´t generate the momentum.
Where there's a will there's a wife

BRNicholson

Found this Guardian piece on corners from earlier in the year an interesting perspective given that we've always seemed to be awful at them.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/mar/27/in-defence-of-the-corner-a-much-maligned-set-piece

Holders

Quote from: grandad on August 07, 2017, 01:58:27 PM
Just had a look on Youtube at some of Brown´s goals. Most of them he made his run from outside the box & timed it superbly planting bullet headers. CB´s today are more static in the box so can´t generate the momentum.

Paul Went was similar. He'd amble up as the corner-taker was setting the ball. The defenders would be ball-watching or the players in the box and Paul would creep in on the blind side and plant a bullet header than amble back like a wavy-haired rhino. 
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

filham

You really would think that with ten quality outfield players at least one of them could be relied upon to deliver a reliable cross. As it is a corner to us is usually just an opportunity for our opponents to make a good break.

Snibbo

Premier Leage stats from 2 years ago:"That's a three per cent chance of a goal from a corner".*

Which suggests corners are overrated. We probable score around that % I suspect, but nobody scores too many. Pulis's sides score more than most - no surprises there.

Not to say our delivery is any good. Certainly last season it was shocking.

* https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/the-stats-on-set-pieces-in-the-premier-league-so-far-this-season-are-very-revealing-19129

ScalleysDad

I had a rant on corners and our woeful throw ins last year, many of which should be penalised, but a foul throw seems to a fairly common thing these days. The thing with corners, its an unchallenged cross for a starters, is that you have so many options and simply by mixing up the final delivery, creating chaos by filling the six yard box, staying out of the penalty area until the ball is struck or even the occasional daisy cutter things can happen even if it is just making the defence think about it. Ours are normally so predictable or poor its easy pickings for the big CB or the Keeper.