watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (10/08/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 10, 2017, 07:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

'Kids did well, didn't look out of place' Fulham Fans Delighted With EFL Cup Win+Match Report

Wycombe 0 Fulham 2: Whites See Off Wycombe Challenge

Second half strikes from Lucas Piazon and Denis Odoi secured an EFL Cup victory for Fulham over their League Two opponents. An upset never looked likely in this tie, as Fulham took control of the game from the start. The West-London side had the better of the chances in the first-half, but were just unable to make the break-through.

However, after the break, they almost went a goal down. Marcus Bean shot narrowly wide, having been presented with a decent opportunity. That was Wycombe's best chance and Fulham punished Bean for not being clinical in front of goal.

On-loan Chelsea attacker Lucas Piazon finally opened the scoring in the 67th minute. The Brazilian fired a shot into the top corner from 25 yards out. It was a goal worth waiting for. From then on, Fulham never looked likely to surrender their advantage. Denis Odoi headed home from a corner late on, to book the Championship's side's place in the EFL Cup second round. The victory ensured that Fulham won this stage of the competition at Adams Park, for the 2nd time in 3 seasons.

The possession was shared evenly in the game, well, almost. Fulham having the line share of the ball, with 55% possession. In fact, most of the statistics were fairly even. Fulham having 12 shots to Wycombe's 9, and 5 shots on target to the hosts' 3. Although, as we know, statistics don't always tell the full story.

http://soccersouls.com/2017/08/09/kids-did-well-didnt-look-out-of-place-fulham-fans-delighted-with-efl-cup-winmatch-report/

WhiteJC

Fulham: Five talking points from last night's win at Wycombe

What did you take from the Carabao Cup win?

A much-changed Fulham side featuring a sprinkling of young talent and three debuts made comfortable progress in the Carabao Cup last night with a 2-0 first round win at Wycombe Wanderers. Here's five things we learnt from the game.

Kamara will be a good signing

Okay so his first full start for Fulham might have been against a League Two side, but Aboubakar Kamara was very impressive. Showed some good skills and a determination run at defenders – hopefully he can repeat it in the heat of a Championship battle. Another recent arrival, Ibrahima Cisse, also looked good.

Another Sessegnon

We all know how good Ryan Sessegnon is, but last night Fulham fans got the first proper glimpse of his twin brother, Steven, too. The less well known sibling had a good game at right back, and there was a nice moment late on when Ryan came on as a sub, putting the twins on the same pitch. Fellow youngsters Matt O'Riley and Tayo Edun impressed as well.

Pia-ck that one out!

We all know Lucas Piazon has got a finish on him, but last night's goal was straight out of the top drawer. The on-loan Chelsea man picked the ball up 25 yards out, set his sights and arrowed a brilliant shot into the left hand corner. To cap a fine display, the Brazilian also set up Fulham's second for Denis Odoi.

Nice wing play

Wycombe's ground is in quite a rural setting, and one of the highlights of last night was an invasion of partridges. One kept swooping across the away end, to the delight of Fulham fans who named him 'Birdinho', while another invaded the press box, and one even made it onto the pitch, where he nearly accidentally met a sticky end under the boot of Marek Rodak. According to the Wycombe press officer, it's not unusual this time of year, and when rugby side Wasps shared their ground, Josh Lewsey had to put one out of it's misery with a wring of the neck after it was smashed by a ball.

Could this be Fulham's year?

Fulham have never got beyond the quarter-final, which they have reached five times, in this competiton. Even the team they beat last night, Wycombe Wanderers, reached the semis once – the Whites are long overdue an extended run in this cup.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-five-talking-points-last-13451526

WhiteJC

Fulham boss pleased to put Wycombe game to bed after Norwich sickener

Goals from Lucas Piazon and Denis Odoi were enough to give the Whites victory over the Chairboys and book their place into round two of the Carabao Cup

Slavisa Jokanovic is pleased that his Fulham side wrapped up victory over Wycombe with time to spare after they were pegged back by Norwich on the opening day.

Goals from Lucas Piazon and Denis Odoi were enough to give the Whites victory over the Chairboys and book their place into round two of the Carabao Cup.

And Jokanovic, who made a host of changes for the tie, was pleased with how his young side performed.

He said: "It was competitive. We played good. We missed a bit of quality in the last passes and in the midfield. We didn't score the goal.

"In the second half, we showed ambition to win the game. It was a quality goal and we arrived at a moment where we scored the second which killed the game and we finished the game in a comfortable way, which we didn't do against Norwich. It's good for confidence."

Denis Odoi celebrates his goal (Image: Getty Images Europe)

Matt O'Riley and Steven Sessegnon, Ryan's twin brother, made their Fulham debuts, earning themselves a spot on the academy honours board.

Jokanovic added: "It's the beginning of the season. The players we used today needed the minutes. I didn't want to change so many players.

"I only took Matt O'Riley off in the last few minutes. We are in an important competition and we are happy that we are fighting in this cup."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-pleased-put-wycombe-13452238

WhiteJC

Wycombe 0-2 Fulham: Who shone for the Whites at Adams Park?

It took Piazon, on loan from Chelsea, to find the net from range and, when Odoi struck in the closing stages, Fulham were through

Goals from Lucas Piazon and Denis Odoi were enough to give the Fulham victory over the Chairboys and book their place into round two of the Carabao Cup.

The Whites were the better side for the majority of the contest but were found wanting when it came to producing the final ball and shot in the first half.

It took Piazon, on loan from Chelsea, to find the net from range and, when Odoi struck in the closing stages, Fulham were through.

Denis Odoi celebrates his goal (Image: Getty Images Europe)

But who shone for the Whites over the course of 90 minutes and who struggled?

You can have your say on how the boys performed with our interactive player ratings system.

All you have to do is give each of the players a rating out of 10 using the sliders below and we'll gather your votes.

Don't forget to check back and see if others agree with your views and we will reveal the winner later in the week.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wycombe-0-2-fulham-who-13452938

WhiteJC

Liverpool attacker set to make decision on future – reliable journalist

Liverpool attacker Sheyi Ojo is set to make a decision on his future with both Fulham and Middlesbrough waiting to take him out on loan, according to a reliable journalist.

Former senior Sky Sports reporter Graeme Bailey has reported via his personal Twitter account on Wednesday that the 20-year-old left-winger is close to deciding on where he will move out on loan to with the Championship pair waiting.

The Championship season has of course already got underway and while Fulham drew 1-1 with Norwich, Middlesbrough suffered a 1-0 defeat against cash-rich Wolves.

However, Boro have also invested heavily this summer and they are expected to be near the top of the English second tier table as they look for an immediate return to the top-flight.

Meanwhile, Fulham will also be looking to compete towards the top as they hope to beat last season's sixth placed finish.

Ojo himself has previously spent time in the Championship with both Wolves and Wigan, returning two goals and three assists in 28 league matches and he will be hoping to reignite his career after just two FA Cup appearances for the Liverpool first team in the last campaign.

Football Insider verdict:

Ojo is a talented player and was once very highly thought of in the Liverpool ranks. However, for whatever reason he was unable to kick on in the last campaign and that stalled the England Under-20 international's development hugely. It is now thought that a move to a Premier League club would be much more beneficial to Ojo and the fact he isn't could mean that the player with three years left on his contract at Anfield doesn't have a long-term future at the Merseyside giants.

http://www.footballinsider247.com/liverpool-attacker-set-make-decision-future-reliable-journalist/

WhiteJC

Madl: An Honour

It was a proud moment for Michael Madl to lead the side out against Wycombe Wanderers and the central defender was pleased with his side's resolve.

After a tough first-half the Whites went into the break drawing 0-0 but showed their dominance in the latter stages of the game, and goals from Lucas Piazon and Denis Odoi saw us progress to the next round of the Carabao Cup.

"It's an honour to be captain of this team and to lead the team on the pitch," Madl told fulhamfc.com. "It was a very tough game against a pretty good Wycombe team.

"I think in that first-half we had a few problems, we lost the ball too easily and missed a few chances but we had some very good players out there.

"The young guys, Stevie [Sessegnon], Tayo [Edun] and Matty [O'Riley], they did a good job so the next round now becomes the most important thing."

Partnering Madl at the back was summer signing Marcelo Djalo, who impressed playing in his first competitive game for the Club.

"He's big, but he is very good on the ball, he has a very good technique and made some good passes so yeah, he is a good player.

"Playing in that back four, Denis [Odoi] played well on the left and so did Stevie on the right, so I think we did a good job in the second-half.

"We made a few mistakes but I think all together it was pretty okay."

Madl was involved in the build-up to Piazon's strike and he is keen to see more from his Brazilian teammate.

"I was stood behind him when he took the shot, I know he has a great shot, he is a good finisher so I am very happy for him and I want to see a few more of these goals," said Madl.

"Like every player in this team I want to play as much as possible, I am looking forward to the next league game and I am looking forward to the next cup game so we will see.

"There were a lot of away fans at Wycombe, it's not normal on a Tuesday night to see so many fans so I want to say a big thank you to them and we all appreciate it, it was much needed for us."

In the 72nd minute Wycombe brought on target man Adebayo Akinfenwa who posed a different type of threat to what Madl may be used to in the Championship.

"I've heard of him before, I've seen him a few times before on the TV, he is a massive guy, he is very strong and very big.

"He was on for like 15 minutes but it is always difficult to play against big guys like him but I think we had him under pretty good control. I think he would be the strongest one on our team as well," joked Madl. 

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/august/09/madl-an-honour

WhiteJC

Derby and Fulham lead Callum Robinson hunt

HITC Sport understands Derby and Fulham are leading the hunt for the Preston star.

Derby County and Fulham are frontrunners in the race to sign Preston North End attacker Callum Robinson, HITC Sport understands from sources close to the club.

Derby have earmarked Robinson to help fill the void left by Tom Ince's departure to Huddersfield and have already seen their opening offer for the former Aston Villa youngster rejected.

Rams boss Gary Rowett is refusing to give up on his pursuit of versatile forward Robinson and is set to step up his efforts to land him before the close of the transfer window.

Championship rivals Fulham are ready to battle Derby for Robinson's signature as Cottagers boss Slavisa Jokanovic looks to strengthen his squad at Craven Cottage with attacking reinforcements his main priority.

Several Premier League clubs are also understood to be monitoring Robinson's situation at Deepdale, with Burnley weighing up a move for him as they will need to bolster their attacking options should Andre Gray leave for Watford.

Robinson joined Preston last summer from Aston Villa on a permanent basis, after spending three spells at the club on loan.

The 22-year-old scored 11 goals in all competitions last season, including Preston's goal in the narrow FA Cup defeat to Arsenal last January.

Preston are keen to keep hold of Robinson, who has started their opening two games of the season, but they are expecting more offers for the player before the transfer window closes at the end of the month.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/08/09/derby-and-fulham-lead-robinson-hunt/

WhiteJC

The Tony Gale Column

It was a cruel end to the match against Norwich on Saturday. I suppose it was a fair result but you hope to see the game out when you're leading going into the closing stages. (I thought it was a diabolical celebration from the lad who equalised, by the way. I think if I was the manager I would have stuck one right on his chin!) Although it's a long old season and it's early days, those points could come back to haunt you a bit later on. Having said that, I expect Norwich to be one of the teams right up there. But what came out of that first weekend, I think there's going to be about 12 clubs chasing promotion, and everyone's going to be beating everyone. We saw a few upsets at the weekend, and that suggests it could be very open this year.

We gave a few of the Academy boys a debut on Tuesday night at Wycombe, and that makes the 2-0 win all the more pleasing in my eyes. It was a good, uncomplicated win, so well done to all involved. It would have been a special night for those youngsters. I went to AFC Wimbledon versus Brentford and they fielded second string sides as well, so I think everyone accepts that with so many games in the Championship, you are going to have to give other people a chance in the cup competitions. However, if we progress and get a big club in the competition then I would like to see us play our strongest XI because there's nothing better to get the fans excited than a good cup run.

It's back to the Madejski Stadium on Saturday, a stadium the lads will know well having played there three times last season. Their manager Jaap Stam made a bit of a statement at the weekend by only naming six substitutes, so that suggests he's having a little bit of a dig at the board. That means it could be a good time to play them, if there's any kind of disharmony in the camp. They're a good side though, a good footballing side. We don't have good memories of playing at their place last season when they did a bit of a number on us. They gave up on their philosophy to get them through the game, and that proved to be the right route to take. They did what they had to do, and it worked for them.

Our tough start to the campaign then takes us to Leeds on Tuesday, and it will be an interesting one at Elland Road. They're not without their troubles either as Matthew Pennington went off injured at the weekend. He's the lad they got from Everton and he'll be a big miss at the back. They're good going forward Leeds, but suspect defensively. I watched the game against Bolton, and whilst they always looked like scoring a goal, they always seemed as though they might concede quite easily as well, and that was reflected in the 3-2 scoreline. It's a tough game, but one that I'm quite confident going into, looking at the shape of their side.

It's a hard start to the season, but we're going to have to be picking up points against these sides if we want to have a successful campaign. That said, I don't think three points out of the next two matches would be a terrible return. Okay, we could draw two games and remain unbeaten, but that gives us a lower points tally than if we win one and lose one. Considering the calibre of opposition, if we've got four points on the board going into the Sheffield Wednesday fixture, I reckon we can be fairly content with that.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/august/09/the-tony-gale-column

WhiteJC

Chelsea loanee declares his love for Fulham after marking return with goal at Wycombe

The Brazilian picked the ball up on the edge of the area, created space with his first touch before rifling a shot into the net

Lucas Piazon has declared his love for Fulham after scoring on his first start since returning to the club on loan from Chelsea against Wycombe.

The Brazilian picked the ball up on the edge of the area, created space with his first touch before rifling a shot into the net.

And he declared as up there among the best goals he scored, made all the more special because of the club he was playing for.

"It was one of the best I've had. It's one of my best goals I have scored," he said. "I love Fulham. We had a good season last season and I was happy to come back and I want to keep improving.

He added: "I just tried to hit it as hard as I could and it went in. I think the touch was the most important part for me.

Lucas Piazon of Fulham scores his team's first goal

"I had the space and a team-mate found me. I tried to hit it as hard as I can and I was happy with the finish.

"It's always the best end to score when the fans are behind the goal."

Piazon was, overall, happy with the performance of a young Whites side, which included Steven Sessegnon and Matt O'Riley making their Fulham debuts.

"I think it went well. We created problems in the first half and created a few chances. We tried to keep playing in the second half and try to get a goal," he added.

"I believe they did very well today. They had a good opportunty to play first team football and I'm happy for them."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chelsea-loanee-declares-love-fulham-13455271

WhiteJC

OPINION: Why Slav's the man for Fulham

As the new Championship season is (finally) getting underway, punters are unsurprisingly speculating about who will reach the promised land of the Premier League come May.

Big spenders such as Middlesbrough and Wolves are of course being mentioned frequently, as are teams such as Aston Villa and Norwich City, who have only been out of the Premier League for a short while and have talented, experienced squads at their disposal.

Nevertheless, whilst by no means being a complete outsider for a return to the league they vacated in 2014, Slavisa Jokanovic's Fulham might, just as they did last year, surprise a few people. To find out why, let's head back to October 2014.

Watford were in disarray. Admittedly, they were 3rd in the Championship, level on points with the top two, but they had incredibly just appointed their fourth manager in only five weeks to take charge of a squad containing almost as many different nationalities as seats at Vicarage Road. Jokanovic was this man with the unenviable task of working under the trigger happy Pozzo family. The former Chelsea defender, however, harnessed this multicultural team into an exciting proposition, leading them to promotion to the top division with a game to spare. Jokanovic left shortly afterwards, but one has to admire the job that he did in Hertfordshire, especially considering this was his first managerial job on these shores.

Returning to the present day, Jokanovic will use that experience at Watford to help fuel Fulham's promotion bid this campaign. In keeping their key figures, such as Tom Cairney and Ryan Sessegnon, at Craven Cottage, the former Yugoslavian international has a talented squad brimming with attacking potential. The joint top scorers in the Championship last season, in which they were beaten play-off semi-finalists, Fulham have every chance of further success this year, a cause that would be greatly strengthened if they delve into the transfer market in the coming weeks to strengthen their often-leaky defence.

There's no need to worry though – Jokanovic will see them right.

http://the72.co.uk/89088/opinion-slavs-man-fulham/

WhiteJC

QPR and Bristol City eye Cyriac

HITC Sport understands Championship duo former Fulham loanee.

Queens Park Rangers and Bristol City are eyeing move for former Fulham loanee Cyriac Gohi, HITC Sport understands from sources close to the club.

Cyriac is back at Belgian club KV Oostende after spending the second half of last season at Fulham and he featured for Oostende in their Jupiler Pro League clash with Anderlecht last weekend.

The Ivory Coast international joined Fulham on transfer deadline day last January with the option of a permanent move to West London..

Cyriac made 11 appearances in all competitions for Fulham last season, but all 11 outings came from the bench for Slavisa Jokanovic's side.

Fulham had expressed an interest in signing Cyriac on a permanent basis, but they have yet to secure the target man's signature and the news has alerted several other clubs.

Queens Park Rangers and Bristol City are both understood to have made enquiries to Oostende for Cyriac and are ready to offer the striker another crack at the Championship.

The Championship duo are both looking to boost their strikeforces before the close of the transfer window and they are weighing up moves for Cyriac.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/08/09/por-qpr-and-bristol-city-eye-cyriac/

WhiteJC

Johansen, Cisse To Start – Strongest 4-3-3 Fulham Lineup To Face Reading At The Madejski

Predicted Fulham Lineup To Face Reading In EFL Championship

Fulham will need to sort out their long lying problem of relinquishing leads in games and they may even find it hard to get one at the home of their play-off foes.

A 1-1 draw at home to Norwich was a solid if unspectacular start for the West London side and they will look to carry on from where they left off last season in terms of their away form here. They should probably go with a 4-3-3 using the following XI:
Formation: 4-3-3

Manager: Slavisa Jokanovic
GK – David Button

Back in the side having lost his place in the closing weeks of last season, Button can carry on as no.1 in this game.
RB – Ryan Fredericks

The side has lost its influential attacking full-back in the shape of Scott Malone but retain their right-sided equivalent in Fredericks and he could be important here.
CB – Tomas Kalas

The on-loan Chelsea man was excellent for the club last season and will only get better as this season wears on.
CB – Tim Ream

The American brings plenty of experience and defensive nous, and has struck up a good partnership with Kalas.
LB – Ryan Sessegnon

I'd much prefer to see the youngster up in the front four but for now he seems to be settling in as an attacking full-back.
CM – Tom Cairney

Starting on the right of the midfield three but operating centrally, the highly rated midfielder will be influential once again.
CM – Ibrahima Cisse

Replaced Oliver Norwood last time but given that this game is away from home, the more defensive minded Cisse may be given a start.
CM – Stefan Johansen

A 4-3-3 may not help certain members of this squad, but any opportunity to allow Johansen to get forward more should be jumped upon and so it works for him.
RW – Sone Aluko

Working down the right in just about any formation suits Aluko who can cut inside onto his left foot to great effect.  Despite the fuss over Cairney and Sessegnon, Aluko remains one of Fulham's most important players.
LW – Neeskens Kebano

Another player who likes to cut in, Kebano should keep his place and will be seen as good support for the front man.
ST – Aboubakar Kamara

Replace Floyd Ayite last time and as a proper centre-forward, he may be given the chance to impress from the start and can carry the responsibility of being Fulham's major goal threat.
Here's how Fulham could line up:

http://soccersouls.com/2017/08/10/johansen-cisse-to-start-strongest-4-3-3-fulham-lineup-to-face-reading-at-the-madejski/

kiwian

Can someone please tell me what a wum is, I presume it isn't a very flattering label. Thanks
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

Twig

Quote from: kiwian on August 10, 2017, 09:03:20 AM
Can someone please tell me what a wum is, I presume it isn't a very flattering label. Thanks

Wind up merchant

kiwian

Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?