https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (16/08/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 16, 2017, 06:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Piazon breaks leg at Leeds
by Dan on August 16, 2017

Slavisa Jokanovic has confirmed that Fulham forward Lucas Piazon broke his leg after a challenge at Leeds last night – and was furious with an apparent suggestion by one of the match officials that this was part and parcel of English football.

Piazon, who was rewarded for his fine individual goal at Reading on Saturday with a place in the starting line-up at Elland Road on Tuesday night, immediately signalled to be substituted having been caught in the follow through of Connor Shaugnessy's tackle on the touchline during the first half of the 0-0 draw. Piazon was carried down the touchline by the Fulham medical staff and a distraught Jokanovic revealed after the final whistle that he had broken his fibula.

The 23 year-old, who had returned to Fulham earlier in the summer for a second loan spell from Chelsea after a successful year at Craven Cottage last term, is now likely to return to Stamford Bridge for treatment after such a serious injury. Jokanovic told his post-match press conference:

We are so disappointed for this situation about Lucas Piazon. I believe he broke the fibula or broke the leg. It's a very bad injury and we will lose him for a long time. It's not a question about complaining – it can be bad luck or a tackle outside of the normal.

But I'm really disappointed with what I heard from one of the referees who explained 'this is English football and this is completely legal'. I am a 48-year-old man and I've never heard an ugly answer like I heard today in this stadium.

The luckless Piazon had already endured one serious injury whilst playing for Fulham – having broken his jaw against Cardiff City last February and fought his way back to full fitness to return towards the tail end of the Championship run-in last season.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/08/piazon-breaks-leg-at-leeds/

WhiteJC

Fulham can trigger Bennett contract clause, says Warnock

Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock has confirmed that Fulham are in discussions with Bluebirds left back Joe Bennett over a potential move to London.

Speaking after Cardiff won their third league game of the season for the first time in their history and remained top of the Championship following an impressive 3-0 dismantling of Sheffield United, Warnock clarified the reasons behind the former Aston Villa full-back not featuring in the starting line-up having played in the opening two wins.

Fulham are talking to our people. I'm not aware anything has happened, but he (Bennett) has a buy-out clause in his contract and it's up to them if they meet it. They are entitled to talk to him but it doesn't mean he's going anywhere.

Reports yesterday afternoon suggested that Fulham had made an approach for Bennett as Slavisa Jokanovic seeks to add a left-back to his squad before the close of the transfer window. Fulham have been short of options in that position since the departure of Scott Malone earlier this summer – and teenager Ryan Sessegnon has started all three of the Whites' league fixtures at left back.

Warnock refused to speculate on how quickly he might move to replace Bennett insisting:

You don't know what's going to happen in the next two weeks in this game. We miss a naturally left-footer, but we've got to look at other options just in case people leave and that's what we are doing.

I might get someone in this week. I have made an offer for a player because I want to top the squad up. I want that hungry type of player who can come in to the squad and bide his time,

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/08/fulham-can-trigger-bennett-contract-clause-says-warnock/

WhiteJC

Draw was a fair result, says Jokanovic

Slavisa Jokanovic felt Fulham's goalless draw at Leeds was a fair result after his team failed to take any of the opportunities to gain their first league win of the season.

The Fulham head coach was pleased with his side's application against a well-drilled and physical Leeds side, but admitted the visitors 'lacked quality' in the final third.

In this game we showed different faces. Today we opened the game very well and we created some chances and in the end we had some problems at set pieces which we resolved well.

The second-half started better, they pressed us more on the ball and toward the end of the game I decided to put one more player on who could get some more control in the game because then if we created chances we could win the game.

At the end [I think] this result can be fair and a positive is that we are in the beginning of the Championship without losing any games, We weren't clinical in the important moments, we tried with power and with aggression to push us into scoring a goal. In the beginning and at the end of the game we missed some important chances and in the end we can say this result can be fair.

After confirming that Lucas Piazon had broken his fibula, Jokanovic conceded he wasn't sure about the level to which Championship officials are prepared to clamp down on over-zealous tackling.

Leeds, like Reading in the last game, were really aggressive and cut our actions strong. Sometimes in the Championship the limit is high and sometimes the limit is low, I don't know exactly what are the rules in this competition.

He felt Fulham were slow to adapt to Leeds' higher pressing game in the second half and, although the introduction of Northern Irish midfielder Oliver Norwood helped to retain possession, believed his side should have put away one of the late chances they created.

We didn't adapt ourselves to be honest I missed a little bit of quality where we move the ball and definitely in the beginning of the second-half when they started to press us and we weren't comfortable with the ball. I missed this quality in this part of the game toward the end of the game because I didn't find another solution, I decided to put Olly (Norwood) on the pitch because we were so many times without the ball in this period of the game.

We wanted to take a little bit more control of the game and in this period we created some chances. We weren't clinical at the end of the game and if you don't score the goal you can't complain about dropping points and thinking about three points.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/08/draw-was-a-fair-result-says-jokanovic/

WhiteJC

Chelsea loanee Lucas Piazon suffers broken leg as Fulham boss fumes at referees

Former Chelsea midfielder and current Fulham boss Slaviša Jokanović was left fuming on multiple accounts Tuesday night as his Whites battled to 0-0 draw at Leeds in the Championship but at significant cost as Lucas Piazon was stretchered off in the first half with a broken leg while the referees turned a blind, or even worse, uncaring eye towards proceedings.

Commenting after the game, Jokanović confirmed that the injury was very serious and revealed the "ugly" conversation he had with one of the referees.

"We are so disappointed for this situation about Lucas Piazon. I believe he broke the fibula or broke the leg. It's a very bad injury and we will lose him for a long time.

"It's not a question about complaining - it can be bad luck or a tackle outside of the normal. But I'm really disappointed with what I heard from one of the referees who explained 'this is English football and this is completely legal'.

"I am a 48-year-old man and I've never heard an ugly answer like I heard today in this stadium."

-Slaviša Jokanović; source: Sky

You can watch the tackle from Leeds defender Conor Shaughnessy here.

Pressed further on the comments from the referee, Jokanović decided to avoid a fine and suspension.

"It's not important. We don't need to go so deep into it. I am personally a little bit disappointed.

"I hear something, it's probably because my English is not great, because it's so ugly and I never expected to hear it in professional football.

"I'm disappointed in comments from people who need to care and save the players. I was simply surprised to hear that.

"I've never heard such silly commentary about a complex situation like I heard today."

-Slaviša Jokanović; source: Get West London

While one thing has nothing to do with the other (beyond keeping the standard of officiating to a certain level), comparing the excessive force and recklessness of that tackle with what Gary Cahill walked for on Saturday makes both decisions rather laughable. (And let's not even talk about Harry Kane's scissor tackle.)

Of course this is no laughing matter, with Piazon, who suffered a broken jaw earlier this calendar year and missed about a month, now set to be sidelined for a good long while, recovering at Cobham as per standard Chelsea policy in these sorts of situations. Broken fibulas aren't quick to heal, with standard recovery times anywhere from 3-6 months, depending on the severity of the fracture.

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2017/8/16/16155344/fulham-leeds-championship-lucas-piazon-broken-leg-tackle-jokanovic-referee-comments

WhiteJC

Fulham were not clinical enough against Leeds, according to Slavisa Jokanovic

The boss was frustrated at his side's lack of a cutting edge in front of goal at Leeds

The boss was disappointed Fulham did not take one of their chances at Elland Road (Image: Getty Images Europe)

Slavisa Jokanovic has called on his Fulham side to be more clinical in front of goal after their third successive Championship draw, at Leeds United.

The Serbian saw his side squander a number of opportunities during a strong start to the game and at the end, when a bit of composure would have seen them take all three points.

Fulham's only victory in their opening four games of the season came in the Carabao Cup at Wycombe last week and, although they are unbeaten, Jokanovic looked a frustrated figure in his post-match press conference.

Sone Aluko was guilty of missing the Whites' best chance, although Neeskens Kebano also had an opportunity only to lose his balance.

And Jokanovic was not about to claim his team deserved more after the game

"If you do not score the goal, you cannot complain about the result or start thinking about three points," Jokanovic said.

"We showed different faces today. We opened the game very well and created some chances.

"We weren't clinical in important moments. They were powerful and aggressive and pushed us to score the goal.

"We didn't adapt ourselves well to be honest, we missed the quality on the ball in the beginning of the second half. They started to press us and we weren't comfortable on the ball."

Guilty: Sone Aluko squandered Fulham's best chance late on at Leeds (Image: Andrew Redington/Getty Images)

Jokanovic brought on Oliver Norwood with just under 15 minutes remaining, because he felt the midfield was being overrun by Leeds after the break.

And he felt it was a move that paid off, with Norwood showcasing his ability on the ball during his short spell on the pitch and setting free Sone Aluko, who could not find a way past Felix Wiedwald in the Leeds goal.

"We missed quality in this part of the game," Jokanovic explained. "Because I hadn't found another solution I decided to put Oli on the pitch because we were without the ball so often.

"We lost the ball and at the end of the game, I decided to put one more player in to control the game.

"We wanted to take more control of the game and in this period we created the chances and we weren't clinical enough."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-were-not-clinical-enough-13482598

WhiteJC

Tottenham submit £25m bid for Ryan Sessegnon

Tottenham are interested in signing the Fulham defender Ryan Sessegnon this summer.

The 17-year-old left back is rated as one of the most talented young players around Europe right now and it is no surprise that the Premier League clubs are willing to pay top dollar for him.

According to the Telegraph, Spurs have already submitted a £25 million bid for the 17-year-old Fulham prodigy. However, Fulham have rejected the offer.

Despite his age, Sessegnon could make a difference for Spurs. The 17-year-old is quite mature for someone his age.

The English defender could be the ideal replacement for Danny Rose. Rose recently questioned Tottenham's ambitions and revealed that he would push for an exit if an opportunity comes his way.

Had Fulham accepted the offer from Spurs, it would have been close to what Manchester United paid for Wayne Rooney in 2004. Rooney's transfer is still the most expensive move for an English teenager.

Fulham are owned by the American billionaire Shahid Khan, and the London club are looking to secure promotion to the Premier League this season. Therefore, the club's hierarchy is not keen on losing their key players this summer.

Tom Cairney was linked with a move away as well but Fulham will not cash in on their prized prospects.

http://sportslens.com/tottenham-submit-25m-bid-for-ryan-sessegnon/214604/