more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (22/08/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 22, 2017, 07:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Football journalist: Middlesbrough considering a move for Championship defender

According to reliable journalist, Alan Nixon, Middlesbrough are considering a move for Tim Ream, if they fail in their quest to sign other targets. 

The Fulham defender is on Boro's radar, with Ryan Shotton's move from Birmingham City not making any progress over the last week.

Shotton is expected to move to the Riverside Stadium, but Birmingham are keen to find a replacement before letting the defender leave for the North East.

According to reports, Boro are lining up a move for Ream if they fail in their pursuit of Shotton.

Ream has established himself as one of the Championship's best during his time with Fulham over the last two-years.
AdTech Ad

The 29-year-old has made 67 Championship appearances for Fulham over the last two seasons, including 36 last year, as Fulham finished inside the top-six and qualified for the play-offs.

So far this year, Ream has featured in all four of Fulham's Championship fixtures, but has been unable to help Slavisa Jokanovic's side pick up three-points, with the Cottagers drawing on three occasions and losing once.

Boro and Garry Monk have also endured a mixed start to the new season, with the Teessiders having picked up just six-points from a possible 12, following two victories and two defeats.

The Verdict

It is no surprise to see Boro looking towards different targets so late in the summer, with Shotton's move from Birmingham taking longer than expected, as the Blues finalise their business.

Ream would be an excellent addition for Boro, with the defender showing his quality in the Championship, particularly last season.

However, there is a feeling that any potential arrivals in defence depend on the future of Ben Gibson, who so far looks like he is staying at the Riverside Stadium this summer, despite firm interest from the Premier League.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/football-journalist-middlesbrough-considering-a-move-for-championship-defender/

WhiteJC

McCarthy to Stick With Spence and Knudsen Against Fulham But Still Looking for Centre-Half

Mick McCarthy says he'll be sticking with the central defensive pairing of Jordan Spence and Jonas Knudsen when the Blues face Fulham in the Championship at Portman Road on Saturday but the Town manager, who would give nothing away on the reason for yesterday's trip to Sweden, says he's still looking for an additional centre-half.

Spence and Knudsen, both primarily full-backs, helped their side to a clean sheet as Brentford were defeated 2-0 on Saturday and McCarthy confirmed they will keep their places for the visit of the Cottagers, although they will be rested along with the other nine players who defeated the Bees for tomorrow's Carabao Cup tie at Crystal Palace.

"That won't be changed," he said of the pairing. "I'd be bonkers if I changed that, they were excellent.

"It wasn't like they got away with it, I thought they played very well and I think Spence has stepped up and I've always said that I thought Jonas could make a left-sided centre-back.

"And Myles Kenlock had his best game by miles [at left-back] this year because he hadn't had a great start to the season. He knows, I've told him, but I thought he was excellent on Saturday. He's stepped up to it, when he got his opportunity he came and played well.

"He didn't deserve to be in the team over Jonas at left-back. I come in here and everybody's telling me how well he's been doing and asking, 'Was it a big decision?'. No it wasn't, no not at all.

"And he knows that because he was very, very good last year and his pre-season wasn't as good as I expect.

"But when he got his chance to play in the first team, and against a good side, he came good. I was delighted for him more than anybody."

With skipper Luke Chambers (ankle), Tommy Smith (hamstring) and Adam Webster (ankle) all out for a few weeks after the international break McCarthy says another centre-half remains on his wish-list with the transfer window closing next Thursday.

"Not for Saturday, I've got one more game and I wouldn't be changing it anyway," he added.

"If I got one in I'm not going to stick him in the team for Saturday having had a clean sheet against Brentford. I don't see any reason why I would. But, moving forward, I still need one."

Asked about his Sunday trip to Sweden to watch Djurgården beat Halmstad 2-1, he said: "It was nice. I had some beef ragu and a glass of red wine for lunch and a bottle of sparkling water in the Nobis Hotel, which is a particularly nice place.

"It was on a plastic pitch, there wasn't one offside in the game. People kept walking past me, I thought it was a sponsored walk in front of me, I was losing the will to live at one stage.

"It was a good day. I caught a 6.20am flight, which was particularly nice, a half-three shout. Got back into Heathrow at 12 o'clock and I was in my bed at a quarter-past two. That was my itinerary for yesterday."

Was he willing to add any more on the reason for his trip? "I've given you a synopsis of my day, I've given you everything! I've done really well there."

Potential targets in yesterday's two squads include visitors' defender Marcus Johansson, 23, who looks a not unlikely candidate as his contract is up at the end of the Swedish season, and fellow Halmstad man Marcus Mathiesen, a 21-year-old Dane.

The home squad included veteran former West Brom defender Jonas Olsson, 34, who returned to Sweden at the end of last season.

Djurgården's Norwegian defender Niklas Gunnarsson, 26, at one time played for Hibs, although is primarily a right-back, while 23-year-old Swede Jacob Une Larsson was also in action for the Stockholm-based side.

Another possible target may have been Djurgården's 27-year-old defender Marcus Hansson, although he wasn't involved yesterday.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/32133

WhiteJC

United keen on £25m-rated Sessegnon

Manchester United are understood to be keen on £25million-rated Fulham teenager Ryan Sessegnon, also a target for Tottenham.

Sky Sports News report that the Red Devils are showing 'significant interest' in the 17-year-old left-sided star, who shone for England at this summer's European Under-19 Championships.

Sessegnon burst onto the scene last season and made 26 Championship appearances as Fulham reached the promotion play-offs.

Tottenham have been chasing Sessegnon's signature for more than a year, but Fulham have so far been able to ward off any advances.

But, should the player become available, Spurs will face competition from United with Old Trafford boss Jose Mourinho understood to be a keen admirer.

Mourinho's son was a youth team player alongside Sessegnon and would be the perfect source of inside information on the youngster.

United are willing to allow Sessegnon to continue his education at Fulham this season by loaning him back to the west London club.

https://www.clubcall.com/championship/united-keen-on-25m-rated-sessegnon-1860390.html

WhiteJC

Fulham v Bristol Rovers
TUE, 22 Aug 2017EFL Cup
Venue: Craven Cottage

Marcus Bettinelli is a former England Under-21 international

Fulham could hand a first appearance of the season to keeper Marcus Bettinelli, who is back from a hamstring problem.

Slavisa Jokanovic is likely to rotate his squad, with Steven Sessegnon, Ibrahima Cisse, Sheyi Ojo and Marcelo Djalo among those hoping to feature.

Sam Slocombe will continue in goal for Bristol Rovers if Adam Smith has not recovered from a hand injury.

Defender Dan Leadbitter may return from a thigh problem, with several more Rovers players carrying knocks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40932077

WhiteJC

Cisse: Press On

Ibrahima Cisse is eyeing a return to winning ways when Fulham welcome Bristol Rovers to Craven Cottage on Tuesday evening.

A league victory has eluded the Whites thus far in 2017/18, and Cisse is targeting confidence boosting progression in the Carabao Cup prior to Saturday's trip to Ipswich.

"The cup is just another game and we are working hard in training just as we normally would," he told fulhamfc.com. "I am working hard each game to improve.

"I try to take on all the instructions the coach gives me and try to give my all, whether it's in the cup or the league – it's the same thing, there's no difference, we always want to win.

"We had a good start when we played against Wycombe. I was able to get a full match underneath me and I felt great.

"The cup gives some of the younger players a chance to get a game and I will give my all if I'm selected.

"It will be nice to play at home in front of our fans and look to get the win, and look to press on in the competition."

Our Round One victory at Adams Park saw Cisse play 90 minutes for the first time, something he repeated at Leeds United a week later.

The midfielder impressed at Elland Road, and was unfortunate not to open his account for the Club after seeing his low strike come back off the post in the first half.

"I enjoyed the game, the team played well too, we gave everything and we took a valuable point there," Cisse stated. "I didn't have any regrets at the end of the match and I have to continue in this way.

"I would have liked to score that goal and I thought it was in. I have to carry on trying and one day I will succeed.

"It was great to go and get my full [league] debut at a place like Leeds and be able to contribute to the team straight away."

Cisse was one of the first signings through the door in the summer, and whilst he has settled quickly, he's keen to help Fulham get some more points on the board as soon as possible.

"It's a little bit difficult now, but it's not finished," he explained. "We have to keep our head up and try to work hard as we have been doing in training.

"Above all, we mustn't give up. There is belief in the team that we can turn things around sooner rather than later.

"I am feeling very good, and have settled in well with the group. Everyone has welcomed me, everything is going well and I hope this continues.

"I knew Neeskens [Kebano] from before and he helps me a lot here and is around to assist me, [Denis] Odoi too, and this helps makes my integration easier.

"I have really enjoyed my time here so far and hope I can continue to grow and show my qualities."

Secure your place at Craven Cottage on Tuesday as Fulham host Bristol Rovers in the Carabao Cup, with tickets priced at just £10 for adults and £5 for juniors/concessions.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/august/21/ibrahima-cisse-press-on

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: WhiteJC on August 22, 2017, 07:53:08 AM

If a Man Utd bid materialises, Fulham simply must not hold their star man back

Ryan Sessegnon was an absolute revelation at Fulham last season, with the 17-year-old left sided player playing a significant role in the Cottagers run to the play offs.

The first player born in the 21st century to score a goal in the Football League, Sessegnon has an extremely bright future in the game, and his form is already attracting the interest of England's top clubs.

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic will be keen to keep hold of his whizz kid ahead of his bid for a place in the top six, but a big money offer will surely convince the Serbian boss to part ways with the player.

Tottenham had already been linked, but Jokanovic will be sweating over reports that Manchester United are set to up their interest in one of the brightest prospects in the English game.

Jose Mourinho's men have enjoyed an electric start to the season, winning each of their opening two Premier League fixtures by four goals to nil.

The Portuguese has his eye on the title following an extremely disappointing sixth place finish last season, and could be lining up a move for Sessegnon to bolster his squad.

The Old Trafford outfit are fighting on four fronts this season, and their return to Champions League football will mean that Mourinho may seek further reinforcements in the coming weeks.

United have a number of talented young talents in the squad already, and Sessegnon would rapidly excel his growth as a player at the Premier League giants.

Fulham cannot stand in the way of Sessegnon if United come in for the player, and any bid in excess of £25 million surely has to be accepted for the 17-year-old.

Such a fee could allow Fulham to bolster their squad enough to reach the top six, and finally return to the top flight after several years in the second tier.

Sessegnon could become a global sensation at Old Trafford, and Fulham must allow the player to flourish, provided they are properly reimbursed.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/if-a-man-utd-bid-materialises-fulham-simply-must-not-hold-their-star-man-back/

What nonsense.... Flourish at United,he want even start for them.

WhiteJC

Man Utd Ready To Break Transfer Record For An English Teenager Again, Eye

Manchester United have joined the race to sign Fulham teen sensation Ryan Sessegnon, as per reports.

Tottenham Hotspur have been monitoring the England youth international for about a year, but now face competition from the Red Devils, according to the online edition of Sky Sports.

The 17-year-old Sessegnon is one of the hottest prospects in English football and has been linked with all the big teams in the Premier League, including Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool.

The Sun has reported that a bid to lure Sessegnon away from Craven Cottage would likely make him the most expensive English teenage player ever.

Manchester United broke the transfer record for an English teenager when they spent £30 million to secure the signature of Wayne Rooney from Everton in 2004, meaning the Old Trafford side must be prepared to spend more than that figure for the acquisition of the Fulham left back.

The Cottagers are reluctant to sell but United are planning to buy the defender and loan him immediately to the Championship club, like the case of Tottenham's capture of Dele Alli.

Igho Kingsley

http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24311

WhiteJC

Former Manchester United and Fulham striker Louis Saha makes Premier League one season wonder list

We look at the players to score more than 15 Premier League goals in one season, to never get do so again

If he has another poor season, Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy could be labelled as one of the Premier League's biggest one season wonders.

Vardy scored 24 goals as the Foxes famously romped home to the title in 2015/16. But he only scored 13 last season - a disappointing return for the England striker.

It means that Vardy is up in second place in a list of Premier League players who scored 15 or more goals in a season only to fail to repeat the feat again.

Here, GetWestLondon list the players who scored the most goals in one Premier League season only to never reach the 15 goal mark again.

We've excluded players who left the division the season after they first passed the 15 goal mark (e.g. Gareth Bale) and also those who scored 15 or more in the old First Division as well as in the Premier League (e.g. Peter Beardsley).

And a former Fulham favourite makes the list...

Marcus Stewart - 19 goals for Ipswich in 2000/01

Stewart finished as the Premier League's second top scorer in his first of just three seasons in the division. His 19 goals for Ipswich saw them finish fifth, five points ahead of sixth placed Chelsea. He only managed to score six the following season though and just one the season after for Sunderland.

Michael Bridges - 19 goals for Leeds in 1999/00

Bridges' 19 goals in his first season at Elland Road helped Leeds finish third in 99/00 and qualify for the Champions League. Injuries ruined any chances of him following up on that success though. He never scored a Premier League goal again.

Roque Santa Cruz - 19 goals for Blackburn in 2007/08

Another player to have been blighted by injuries. The Paraguayan forward never recaptured his goalscoring form following a big money move to Manchester City. He scored just three Premier League goals for City. Santa Cruz managed to score a total of just seven English league goals following that 19 goal season.

Jurgen Klinsmann - 20 goals for Tottenham in 1994/95

This is a bit of a harsh one as Klinsmann didn't play in consecutive seasons for Spurs. He moved to Bayern Munich following his memorable 94/95 campaign at White Hart Lane, but did return in 1997/98. He only played in 15 games that season and still managed to scored nine goals. Sadly, that's below the 15 goal marker so he makes our list.

Louis Saha - 20 goals for Fulham and Manchester United in 2003/04

Saha scored 13 for Fulham in the first half of the 03/04 season and seven for United in the second half. Things never really worked out for Saha after that though. The most he ever scored in a single season for United was eight in 2006/07. A four season spell at Everton also proved unfruitful, with the 13 goals he grabbed in 2009/10 being the most he ever scored in a season for the Toffees.

Yaya Toure - 20 goals for Manchester City in 2013/14

The Ivorian midfielder wasn't really signed for his goalscoring prowess but that didn't stop his bagging 20 league goals for City on their way to the title in 2014. He's yet to rediscover that goalscoring form, coming closest in 2014/15 when he scored 10.

Andrew Johnson - 21 goals for Crystal Palace in 2004/05

Johnson's 21 goals weren't enough to stop Crystal Palace from going down in 2005. They no doubt helped to persuade David Moyes to spend over £8m on the striker the following summer though. Sadly, it never worked out for Johnson. The most he ever scored in a subsequent Premier League season was 11.

Daniel Sturridge - 21 goals for Liverpool in 2013/14

The Liverpool forward was in fine form when his club missed out on the title in 2014. He finished as the division's second top goalscorer with 21 goals behind only his teammate Luis Suarez who scored 31. He's been blighted by injuries since then though scoring just four, eight and three goals in the following three seasons.

Stan Collymore - 22 goals for Nottingham Forest in 1994/95

His 22 goal haul for Forest in their first season back in the Premier League secured Collymore a move to Liverpool for £8.5m, an English record at the time. He scored 14 league goals in his first at Anfield which is the most he ever scored in a single season again.

James Beattie - 23 goals for Southampton in 2002/03

Beattie score 91 Premier League goals in his career but the 02/03 campaign was his only one truly prolific season, bagging 23 league goals for Southampton. The most he ever scored in a single season again though was 14, which he managed in 2003/04.

Jamie Vardy - 24 goals for Leicester in 2015/16

Vardy's goals were essential for Leicester when they won the title in 2016. He struggled to match that last season though, scoring just 13.

Kevin Phillips - 30 goals for Sunderland in 1999/00

It might seem a bit ridiculous to put a man who scored 92 Premier League goals in a list of one season wonders, but Phillips only passed the 15 goal a season mark once in the top tier. That was in his debut season in the division when he scored 30 goals in 36 games for Sunderland, finishing as top scorer above Alan Shearer.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-manchester-united-fulham-striker-13509165

WhiteJC

Manchester United keeping close eye on Fulham's Ryan Sessegnon after Spurs deny making bid

PLUS: Has Eric Bailly dropped a massive hint about Zlatan Ibrahimovic?

Manchester United aren't giving up their interest in Fulham's Ryan Sessegnon, according to reports.

Tottenham have long been connected to the 17-year-old who has been impressing in the Championship for Fulham.

The London club continue to insists he's not for sale but the Daily Mail say Man United are keeping a close ete on him.

Tottenham denied making a £25million bid for him last week.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-keeping-close-eye-11029598

WhiteJC

Marcus Stewart quips 'we need the money' ahead of Bristol Rovers' game against Fulham

Pirates assistant boss says landing a big draw is a big bonus

"We need the money" - says Pirates assistant manager Marcus Stewart jokingly.

Well that's one reason Bristol Rovers are looking to beat Fulham tonight in the second round of Carabao Cup according to assistant coach.

Asked how much importance the club put in the competition, and would they risk any players carrying knocks and niggles, Stewart said: "We need the money, there are loads of scenarios, loads of thought going into it, and there are loads of players at this club who can do a really good job."

But prize money, gate money, and the potential to land a giant tie with the likes of Manchester United, Liverpool or Arsenal, who all enter the draw for the first time in the third round, is also a motivator.

Stewart said :"We had Chelsea last year, at this round. We are not too far away tomorrow really are we, in Fulham. Of course that is another reason to get into the next round."

Rovers lost that match 3-2 thanks to a brace from Michy Batshuayi, who had just signed for the Premier League champions for £33m. Peter Hartley and Ellis Harrison scored for the Pirates.

Stewart said the club are taking the Carabao Cup seriously this season and said: "Listen we are not going to be taking this game lightly, it's the League Cup. It's an opportunity to get into the next round against a big club and to win another game.

"The players want to win a game. The players win will want to win another game, first and foremost, regardless of who it is against - Fulham or Cambridge - we want to win the game. Because winning breeds confidence; as we have seen from the weekend the lads have come in vibrant and happy today because that is what winning does and we try and instill that in them straight away.

"It's about winning the game not matter who you are playing against and off the back of it we will see who we get in the next round - hopefully someone quite big."

The Bristol Post will cover Rovers' against Fulham with a live blog from 5pm this afternoon.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-rovers-want-beat-fulham-357858

WhiteJC

Let's Push Things Forward

As the cliché goes, winning breeds confidence. And Denis Odoi is looking for a victory against League One Bristol Rovers to push Fulham into Round Three of the Carabao Cup.

"It's always good to play cup games," he tells Tuesday's official matchday programme. "It's an opportunity to come up against some big opponents if we can get through to the next round. If we could get a nice fixture in the next stage that would be good, but I'm sure Bristol Rovers will be thinking the same.

"Everyone wants to win every game. Winning matches is good for the atmosphere in the dressing room so the game against Bristol could be a nice one for us to get in the winning mood."

To read the full interview with Odoi, pick up a programme on Tuesday.

Other highlights from the magazine include:

Slaviša Jokanović discusses team selection for the visit of Rovers
    Skipper Tom Cairney says he's getting close to full fitness
    Gordon Davies pens his regular column
    Four eventful cup ties against Rovers from down the years are recalled
    We also trace what happened to the starting XIs when Fulham hosted Rovers in September 1976
    And the countdown continues on the transfers that have made the biggest splash in Fulham's history

Priced £3, the 60-page publication is available from various sellers on Stevenage Road from two hours before kick-off. Or order it online from ProgrammeMaster where you can also purchase an annual subscription and past editions.

For just 99p, the programme is also available as a digital download on your iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, PC or Mac via Apple's Newsstand or Pocketmags from 1am on Tuesday morning.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/august/22/odoi-programme-bristol-rovers

WhiteJC

Focus On: Fulham

When the draw for the Carabao Cup Second Round threw up an away game for Bristol Rovers at Fulham there was an immediate collective memory of the 3rd Round FA Cup tie in January 2008.

Memorably Rovers drew 2-2 at the Premiership team's Craven Cottage and won the replay at the Mem on penalties.

Rovers will go into the tie with a boosted confidence after an exhilarating display at Bury on Saturday.

Despite losing two late goals to make the final scoreline close Rovers were rampant. Meanwhile with no win in the first four league games of the season with only two goals scored, one of them from the now injured Lucas Piazon and the other an own goal, and three conceded the West London team are not where they are expected to be.

Fulham went on a really strong finish to last season and many people were tipping them for an automatic promotion spot.

Slavisa Jokanovic's outfit, with just two goals from three successive league, draws before losing 1-0 at home to Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.

Wednesday had the first chance to take the lead when Gary Hooper headed over from David Jones' cross.

Fulham fought back and almost led themselves when Stefan Johansen smashed a half-volley just over the bar.

But Steven Fletcher broke the deadlock just after the hour mark with a left-footed volley from Adam Reach's delivery.

Fulham Boss Slavisa Jokanovic said after the game, "Our lack of goals is a worry. It was the same story that we have had before. We were the better team but we couldn't put it in the net. We couldn't get the quality opportunities.

"We are missing a little bit of speed with the ball. That would make a difference and it's something we must work on. We need to find more quality with our finishing. We are a work in progress and I am still getting my message over."

There have been a total of 62 games between Rovers and the west London team and surprisingly overs have slightly the better record, having 25 victories to Fulham's 24.

The very first meeting took place on 22 September 1928 and the Cottagers thrashed Rovers 6-1, the following February Rovers gained some kind of revenge by winning 5-3 at Eastville.

Rovers must have dreaded visiting Craven Cottage as they lost the next two games there 6-2! In the first three games, they conceded 18 goals!

The highest aggregate score in games between the teams was recorded on 5 November 1955 and there were fireworks from the Rovers team as they ran out 5-3 winners.

In more recent times Rovers recorded a 4-0 in West London on 25 May 1989 as they were on their way to a Play-Off Final defeat to Port Vale.

In a remarkable night goals by Billy Clark, Ian Holloway, Denis Bailey and Andy Preece gave Rovers a convincing 4-0 victory.

The last League meetings between the teams took place in the 1998-99 season with Fulham winning both games, 1-0 in London and 3-2 at the Mem, where Paul Trollope was amongst the Fulham scorers.

News from the cottage is that Marcus Bettinelli could make his first appearance of the season having recovered from a hamstring injury and is in line to replace David Button.

Steven Sessegnon, Ibrahima Cisse, Sheyi Ojo and Marcelo Djalo could also feature as boss Jokanovic looks to rotate his squad. Chelsea loanee Lucas Piazon is out with a broken leg.

https://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news/2017/august/22.08.17---focus-on-fulham/

WhiteJC

Soares Signs

The Club is delighted to announce the arrival of Rafa Soares on a season-long loan deal from Porto.

Fulham fought off two major European clubs for Soares' services, with the player keen to test himself in English football.

The 22-year-old left-back took in a similar spell with top flight Rio Ave last term, whom he helped to a seventh placed finish, narrowly missing out on a UEFA Europa League spot by a point.

He played 32 times in the league and contributed three goals, along with five assists. It followed his first taste of senior football when he spent the second half of the 2015/16 campaign with fellow Primeira Liga outfit Académica Coimbra.

A regular for Portugal's youth teams, Soares has amassed an impressive 72 caps from Under-16 to Under-21 level. Most of his appearances came for the Under-19s for whom he scored twice in 30 appearances, but he has also been selected nine times at Under-21 level.

Soares is currently recovering from an ankle injury and will return to training after the September international break.

Tony Khan, Vice Chairman and Director of Football Operations, said: "Rafa was worth the effort to pursue and, once he steps onto the pitch, our supporters will also see that he is worth the wait.

"We were well aware of his injury during the recruitment process and are more than comfortable moving ahead, as Rafa's talent and body of work as a defender speaks for itself, as evidenced by the interest and buzz around him this summer.

"We'll count on Rafa to bring a new dimension to our back line once he returns to play and that's not far off, possibly early autumn, but we will be smart and patient. We have an excellent squad as we stand now and Rafa will make it that much better when he suits up. Come On You Whites!"

Speaking to fulhamfc.com at Motspur Park after putting pen to paper, Soares said: "I'm very happy.

"I came here to help the Club achieve its goals this season and I hope to experience a lot and do a good job. I have ambitions to improve myself too, and help the Club to have a good season.

"I had other options, other clubs were interested in me, but the way Fulham acted, I was decisive that I wanted to come here, and I think it's the right time to be here.

"Fulham has a reputation of a Premier League club and this season I want to help put the Club back in the place it belongs."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/august/22/soares-signs

WhiteJC

Fulham confirm loan signing of Soares

Fulham have confirmed the signing of left-back Rafa Soares on a season-long loan from Porto.

The Portugal Under-21 international is currently recovering from an ankle injury and is due to return to training next month.

Announcing the signing, Fulham said they "fought off two major European clubs" to sign Soares, 22, and that he is keen to test himself in English football.

Soares told Fulham's website: "I had other options, other clubs were interested in me, but the way Fulham acted, I was decisive that I wanted to come here, and I think it's the right time to be here.

"Fulham has a reputation of a Premier League club and this season I want to help put the club back in the place it belongs."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/football-news-soares-snubs-two-major-european-clubs-join-fulham

WhiteJC

Rafa Soares: Fulham complete loan signing of Porto left-back

Rafa Soares (right) helped Rio Ave to eighth in the Portuguese top flight last season

Fulham have signed Porto left-back Rafa Soares on a season-long loan deal.

The 22-year-old is yet to play a competitive first-team game for Porto but has had loan spells with Academica Coimbra and Rio Ave.

He will not be available until after September's international break because of an ankle injury.

"Fulham has a reputation of a Premier League club and this season I want to help put the club back in the place it belongs," he told the club's website.

Fulham say they fought off "two major European clubs" to sign Soares, who has been capped by Portugal at under-21 level.

Tony Khan, vice-chairman and director of football operations, said: "Rafa was worth the effort to pursue and, once he steps onto the pitch, our supporters will also see that he is worth the wait.

"We were well aware of his injury during the recruitment process and are more than comfortable moving ahead, as Rafa's talent as a defender speaks for itself."

Fulham's attempts to sign Cardiff left-back Joe Bennett were thwarted when he turned down a move to Craven Cottage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41011256

WhiteJC

Tony Khan says Fulham's move for Porto man Rafa Soares 'will add a new dimension' to the side

The left-back joins the Whites on a season-long loan from Porto after Fulham fought off two major European clubs for his services.

Fulham have announced the signing of Rafa Soares.

The left-back joins the Whites on a season-long loan from Porto after Fulham fought off two major European clubs for his services.

The 22-year-old spent ast season on loan at Portuguese top flight side Rio Ave, where he made 32 appearances, contributing three goals and five assists.

A regular in the Portugal youth set up, Soares racked up 72 caps from under-16 to under-21 level.

Soares is currently suffering with an ankle injury, but is expected to return to training with his new team after the international break.

"We were well aware of his injury during the recruitment process and are more than comfortable moving ahead, as Rafa's talent and body of work as a defender speaks for itself, as evidenced by the interest and buzz around him this summer.

"We'll count on Rafa to bring a new dimension to our back line once he returns to play and that's not far off, possibly early autumn, but we will be smart and patient. We have an excellent squad as we stand now and Rafa will make it that much better when he suits up. Come On You Whites!"

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tony-khan-says-fulhams-move-13510948

WhiteJC

Fulham sign Rafa Soares on season-long loan from Porto

Fulham have announced the arrival of Rafa Soares from Porto on a season-long loan.

The 22-year-old, who has 72 Portugal caps at youth level, has joined the Championship club injured and is not expected to return to training until after the international break in September.

Fulham have claimed that they "fought off two major European clubs" to sign Soares, who spent last season on loan at Rio Ave, where he made 32 appearances and scored three goals.

"I'm very happy," the left-back told the Cottagers' official website. "I came here to help the club achieve its goals this season and I hope to experience a lot and do a good job. I have ambitions to improve myself too, and help the club to have a good season.

"I had other options, other clubs were interested in me, but the way Fulham acted, I was decisive that I wanted to come here, and I think it's the right time to be here. Fulham has a reputation of a Premier League club and this season I want to help put the club back in the place it belongs."

Vice-chairman Tony Khan added: "Rafa was worth the effort to pursue and, once he steps onto the pitch, our supporters will also see that he is worth the wait. We were well aware of his injury during the recruitment process and are more than comfortable moving ahead, as Rafa's talent and body of work as a defender speaks for itself, as evidenced by the interest and buzz around him this summer.

Fulham are yet to win a league game this season, drawing three and losing one.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/transfer-talk/news/fulham-sign-soares-on-loan-from-porto_305374.html

WhiteJC

'Now we are talking' – Fulham fans react to transfer deal

Fulham have today completed the signing of Porto defender Rafa Soares on a season-long loan deal.

The left back links up with the west London outfit having rejected interest from two major European clubs, and boss Slavisa Jokanovic will be delighted to have secured the services of such an exciting young talent.

Soares joined the Porto academy in 2005, but is yet to make a senior first team league appearances for the Champions League regulars.

The player spent last season on loan with Rio Ave in the Portuguese last flight, scoring three times and providing a further five assists as the club narrowly missed out on Europa League qualification.

The 22-year-old is held in high regard in Portugal, and has represented his country at various youth levels on no less than 72 occasions.

The player is currently recovering from a minor ankle injury, and will return to full training after the international break in September.

Fans have been reacting to the signing of Soares on Twitter, with fans excited by the new arrival...

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/now-we-are-talking-fulham-fans-react-to-transfer-deal/

WhiteJC

Three To Watch: Fulham

Take a look at the potential threats in the ranks of Tuesday's opponents, Fulham

Fulham went on a really strong finish to last season and many people were tipping them for an automatic promotion spot.

Slavisa Jokanovic's outfit, with just two goals from three successive league, draws before losing 1-0 at home to Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.

The Cottagers progressed through the First Round of the Carabao Cup after defeating Wycombe Wanderers 2-0 thanks to second-half goals from Lucas Piazon (who is now injured) and Denis Odoi.

Sone Aluko - Striker

Sone Aluko (pictured above) joined Fulham on a two-year deal in July 2016, following the expiry of his contract at Hull City.

A product of Birmingham City's youth academy, Aluko took in loan spells at both Aberdeen and Blackpool while on the books of the Midlands club.

Aluko also has an FA Cup runners-up medal, after coming on as a substitute in their extra-time defeat by Arsenal at Wembley in 2014.

It's been Aluko's job to lead the line for the Cottagers following the injury to Lucas Piazon however, he has found goals hard to come by this season failing to register a goal in any competition.

Aboubakar Kamara - Striker

On Monday 31st July 2017, the Club announced the arrival of striker Aboubakar Kamara as the Frenchman joined from SC Amiens for an undisclosed fee, on a four-year contract.

2016/17 was a highly productive one for the forward, as he helped Amiens win promotion to the top flight for the first time in their history.

Having taken the squad number 47 to the create the new nickname AK47, Kamara has made five appearances this season with all but one of them coming from the substitutes bench and the Frenchman is yet to register his first goal for the club.

Denis Odoi - Defender

Fulham completed the signing of Belgium International defender Denis Odoi in July 2016 from Lokeren for an undisclosed fee

The 28-year-old full-back, who is comfortable on either side, arrives from Belgian top-flight outfit Lokeren for an undisclosed fee on a three-year deal, with a Club option for a further 12 months.

Odoi began his career at Oud-Heverlee Leuven, before moving to Sint-Truiden in 2009. Belgian giants Anderlecht then signed him for a reported £1.3m in 2011, and in each of his two seasons at the club, he won the Belgian Pro League, whilst also representing Anderlecht in Europe.

Odoi has represented his country at Under-20 and Under-21 level and was handed his Belgium debut in 2012 in an international friendly against Montenegro.

The defender has already been on target in this competition as his late header secured Fulham's passage into the Carabao Cup Second Round.

https://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news/2017/august/22.08.17---three-to-watch/

WhiteJC

Fulham sign left-back Rafa Soares on loan from Porto

Rafa Soares has joined Fulham on a season-long loan

Fulham have signed left-back Rafa Soares on a season-long loan deal from Porto.

The 22-year-old spent last season on loan at Rio Ave and has been capped nine times for Portugal U21s.

He is currently recovering from an ankle injury and will not feature for Fulham until after the international break.

"I'm very happy," Soares told the club's website.

"I came here to help the club achieve its goals this season and I hope to experience a lot and do a good job. I have ambitions to improve myself too, and help the club to have a good season.

"I had other options, other clubs were interested in me, but the way Fulham acted, I was decisive that I wanted to come here, and I think it's the right time to be here.

"Fulham has a reputation of a Premier League club and this season I want to help put the club back in the place it belongs."

Soares also becomes manager Slavisa Jokanovic's ninth signing of the summer transfer window.

"Rafa was worth the effort to pursue and, once he steps onto the pitch, our supporters will also see that he is worth the wait," Fulham vice chairman and director of football operations, Tony Khan, said.

"We were well aware of his injury during the recruitment process and are more than comfortable moving ahead, as Rafa's talent and body of work as a defender speaks for itself, as evidenced by the interest and buzz around him this summer."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11000157/fulham-sign-left-back-rafa-soares-on-loan-from-porto