watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Club's paywall policy

Started by Rambler, September 02, 2017, 10:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gloss White

I don't subscribe and now never go on the club site. Loads of news elsewhere so go with that.
I don't earn much so everything goes on the 6-10 games I can afford to watch a season

RaySmith

GJ's commentary, which is what  most fans subscribe for, is a brilliant resource as far as I'm concerned, as  someone who can't go to many games..

We're so use to  having it, for free as well, that we probably take it for granted.
The charge the club makes for this isn't exorbitant, along with extras, I don't think - in fact, it seems reasonable.

It's just that we  expect to get it for free, but this isn't the case with most other clubs, and the League has said that the club has to charge a certain amount, which is why, the club has stated, they do it.

I do feel ripped off by football - mainly ticket prices, though I don't blame the clubs themselves, because  they have to pay the wages and transfer fees the market has created. But obviously there are a lot of problems with football, with long term, and poorer, fans often being priced out. Football is no longer a cheap form of entertainment for local working people, as it was when I first started going. Though society has changed in a lot of ways.

Other countries, lie Germany do it differently - and look at their national team compared to ours, with all the top foreign stars playing in the Prem with the  influx of TV money.

Nero

If you want my thoughts on this please donate £3.49  to the site and I will post a video of my typing my reply only at FoFTV

toshes mate

TV money is the problem for football since it has allowed affluence to take almost all professional sport away from its 'natural' fan bases.  Rights contracts are invitations to monopoly money (look at the size of the TV rights package for cricket's IPL which is close on £2 billion).  Anything you can stream will be streamed to you at a price if you are in an area where someone has purchased the right to do so.  If you are not in such an area then tough or you can try to break the law or the rules.  In other words the business is not about increasing customers it is about increasing revenue from the customers you already have because they have no alternative but to pay up.  In my opinion it's a pretty sick way of doing things, when football needs all the help it can get to get youngsters wanting to play professionally or just for fun or turning up as a fan week in, week out, or watching the game via subscription on TV or the Internet or whatever.   

Life isn't about doing what you are told to do, it is about deciding when you have had enough of the order 'Be stupid'.

Logicalman

Quote from: Fulham Joe on September 04, 2017, 07:30:48 PM
I make it my policy to never part with any cash to look at content on the internet, whether that be on the Racing Post, The Times, The Fulham site, or wherever.
If I was minted, it might be different, but I'm not.

The paid subscription is not your run-of-the-mill 'Internet Content' though, it is closer to pay-per-view cable subscriptions I would say. So, if the FFCTV only subscription was available via your cable/satellite provider at 120 quid a season, would you subscribe?
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Logicalman

Quote from: Andy S on September 05, 2017, 11:09:24 AM
It's the way of the world that if somebody has a product they can sell and make money they do it. I'm sorry it upsets some people so much but back in the 1970s if Fulham played an evening game we had to wait until the following days papers to find out the score. When club call was introduced we had to make a 5 minute call at £1 per minute and the result may not even be on there. Believe me this is luxury and most information can be obtained from one source or another free.

Or watch New At Ten if I recall correctly!  :005:
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Logicalman

Quote from: Rambler on September 05, 2017, 01:29:27 PM
With all due respect we have moved on a lot since the 70s.
A few years ago we had free coverage and highlights of the games. We have now gone backwards behind a paywall.
When more and more information is available for free on the internet why should we regress back and not progress forwards.
Point being we aren't being given enough for fans that don't want to pay for FFC tv.

That's where I don't see it as going backwards though.

You are perfectly correct that we progressed on from the 70's to have the free coverage, though that was for very limited number of games on TV, and when it comes to the internet, that started out well, but then all the crap started appearing (cue Social media) and the good stuff got lost in the mix of absolute crap out there. Additionally, there has been a massive increase in the cost of footie over the past couple or three decades, with rising costs came to need for clubs (substitute businesses in there) to try and make a coin out of the services they provide, both live and via media.

Perhaps in the future we will get to a place where it's again relatively 'free' (promotion would increase those chances), but for any team outside the top tiers of footie, it's not coming too soon I would think.