News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What is the most important element to feature on the Fulham crest?

Started by The Fulham Boy, September 02, 2017, 06:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you had to choose one element from previous crests to be included as part of a redesign what would it be?

The letters 'FFC'
41 (46.6%)
The Crossed Swords
34 (38.6%)
The Ship
4 (4.5%)
The Knight's Helmet
9 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Voting closed: September 05, 2017, 06:25:21 PM

Holders

MJG - your poll was very clear across all age groups. If the new badge is 15 years old, why should the club be wanting to change it again? Something like this needs consistency through the years, not changed like a fashion.

If any badge does need changing it's that 1960s/70s monster from Bournemouth & Boscombe AFC.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Holders on September 04, 2017, 09:46:55 AM
MJG - your poll was very clear across all age groups. If the new badge is 15 years old, why should the club be wanting to change it again? Something like this needs consistency through the years, not changed like a fashion.

If any badge does need changing it's that 1960s/70s monster from Bournemouth & Boscombe AFC.

Is that the badge with the red background and BFC in white plastered over it ?
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

MJG

The reasoning was its reached the end of its life. All 'brands' need updating at some stage.
Personally I think it still has a lot of legs in it and would be just an expense to the club that I dont think is needed at this time.
Just the views of a long term fan

Holders

Quote from: MJG on September 04, 2017, 10:05:07 AM

The reasoning was its reached the end of its life. All 'brands' need updating at some stage.
Personally I think it still has a lot of legs in it and would be just an expense to the club that I dont think is needed at this time.

If part of the argument for changing to the new one 15 years ago was that the previous one was not commonly recognised, it makes no sense to change to something new again!

MJG

Quote from: Holders on September 04, 2017, 11:10:51 AM
Quote from: MJG on September 04, 2017, 10:05:07 AM

If part of the argument for changing to the new one 15 years ago was that the previous one was not commonly recognised, it makes no sense to change to something new again!
Depends if its a dramatic change or a subtle tweak.
My own company changed its logo a couple of years ago, but unless you are a geek you would not actually see it from afar.

ron

I think MJG's poll results above says it all about the most liked crest across the age groups......

....it just happens to be my choice as well. An elegant, quality image to grace all the replica shirts

Holders

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 04, 2017, 10:01:16 AM

No, the idiot leaning backwards balancing a ball on his nose.

aaronmcguigan

I think the next move to modernise the logo will be further simplifying of it. That's the way it's going, a la Juventus logo , I can see the shield coming away and just leaving the FFC in black , and changed to suit different backgrounds, the start of which you can already see with the colour of the badge changed on the training kits to suit different backgrounds.
There's no need for it yet and the badge is fine as it is. I'd like to think the badge means Fulham, and Fulham means the history, the culture, the "Londons Original" so that's everything I see when I see the badge. But different strokes for different folks i guess

MJG

Quote from: ron on September 04, 2017, 11:37:41 AM
I think MJG's poll results above says it all about the most liked crest across the age groups......

....it just happens to be my choice as well. An elegant, quality image to grace all the replica shirts
Not the majority tho in any age group.
I think the wide range of scores also show that is highly unlikely any one badge would be one to satisfy all needs.

Burt

I was a bit of a cynic when the current logo came out, as I had grown up with and had more attachment to the variants of the ship/swords/helmet ones that evolved over the years.

Over time I have warmed to it. It's a simple, instantly recognisable design in the way that prior ones weren't, and more importantly a whole generation (like Burt Jr) have grown up with it and equate it with success - premier league years, 7th place, Europa League, etc.

So I actually find myself in the unusual position of actually suggesting that we leave it be...

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Holders on September 04, 2017, 11:39:02 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 04, 2017, 10:01:16 AM

No, the idiot leaning backwards balancing a ball on his nose.

I thought that was a Sea Lion.

Never forget your Roots.

aaronmcguigan

It was developed after a logo appeared on a club program saying "Heading for the top"
It was dropped  in favour of a logo with cherries on it but brought back early 80s and been there ever since. Looks odd but again , it symbolises Bournemouth, and it's been modernised through the years removing all the clutter, removing red and white stripes in favour of red and black.

snarks

I know it's not an option, but like the cockerel or the gun, a badgers head over the FFC shield that is currently there would do me.

Oh and I remember going to Bournemouth when the new logo was unveiled in the days of John Bond, Ted MacDougall and Phil Bowyer to name but 3 (who ended up at Norwich along with half the team), much better than the old one, and it has been updated

ron

Quote from: MJG on September 04, 2017, 11:57:20 AM
Quote from: ron on September 04, 2017, 11:37:41 AM

Not the majority tho in any age group.
I think the wide range of scores also show that is highly unlikely any one badge would be one to satisfy all needs.

Oh dear.....hung parliaments reach into every corner of our lives......!

Woolly Mammoth

Never forget your Roots.

The Fulham Boy

Results:

Twitter only (151 votes):

The letters 'FFC'- 27%
Crossed swords - 40%
The Ship - 23%
The Knight's helmet - 10%

Twitter and @FriendsOfFulham combined results (Total 239 votes)

Letters 'FFC' - 34%
Swords - 39%
Ship - 16%
Helmet - 10%

Holders

Quote from: The Fulham Boy on September 06, 2017, 06:17:00 PM
Results:

The letters 'FFC'- 27%
Crossed swords - 40%
The Ship - 23%

Letters 'FFC' - 34%
Swords - 39%
Ship - 16%
Helmet - 10%

The poll wasn't objective and these are not valid results. Clearly the new badge, the letters "FFC", is one entity whereas the swords, helmet and ship are simply separate elements of another. You could just as easily add those three components together and get a different result; but if you'd given the opportunity to vote for swords, ship and helmet together you'd have got another result again.   

The Fulham Boy

Quote from: Holders on September 06, 2017, 06:28:24 PM
Quote from: The Fulham Boy on September 06, 2017, 06:17:00 PM
Results:

The letters 'FFC'- 27%
Crossed swords - 40%
The Ship - 23%

Letters 'FFC' - 34%
Swords - 39%
Ship - 16%
Helmet - 10%

The poll wasn't objective and these are not valid results. Clearly the new badge, the letters "FFC", is one entity whereas the swords, helmet and ship are simply separate elements of another. You could just as easily add those three components together and get a different result; but if you'd given the opportunity to vote for swords, ship and helmet together you'd have got another result again.   

Thanks.

I agree that if you asked a different question, you would get a different answer.

People are free to interpret as they wish.

The letters 'FFC' does not mean the current badge, it could be the style of letters from previous badges, or even a new design completely. The idea was to select a single component that would be most important for you to see on the Fulham badge if it were to be redesigned.

Given that it was an opinion poll, it will be very difficult for it to be objective as I am asking people to tell me what they think and their personal believe.

As the original post stated, it was only for a bit of fun anyway.

FYI I was limited to four options due to Twitter and wanted to ask the same questions on both sites for consistency.

Holders

People obviously like the badge before the present as it won all three of MJG's polls. Perhaps FFC and 1879 added to that might be a compromise.

aaronmcguigan

Quote from: Holders on September 06, 2017, 07:39:12 PM
People obviously like the badge before the present as it won all three of MJG's polls. Perhaps FFC and 1879 added to that might be a compromise.

I liked the last badge because it was the one plastered on to the side of a bus when they won promotion, it's the one in all the photos when the club last lifted a decent trophy that wasn't the intertoto. If we win promotion again, no doubt the results of the survey may start altering a bit.

Think current badge is simple and effective, and 1879 should maybe be added once every 10 years to celebrate 140yrs, 150yrs, 160yrs etc. It was added in 2004 to celebrate 125yr anniversary.
The long list of previous badges should be remembered as it is in the clubs retro range.