watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (03/09/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 03, 2017, 07:38:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Kevin McDonald impressed with Liverpool loanee Sheyi Ojo as Fulham's new boys get settled

The 20-year-old impressed the Scotsman in the Ipswich win but McDonald believes there's more to come from the Liverpool man

Kevin McDonald has been impressed with Fulham's new boys, but Liverpool loan Sheyi Ojo has stood out in the Scotsman's eyes.

The 20-year-old , who won the U20 World Cup with England in the summer, played with McDonald during a loan spell with Wolves in the 2015/16 season where he impressed the Scotsman, despite his young age.

Ojo started the game against Ipswich, while other new boy Rui Fonte got his first Fulham goal when he smashed the ball home from an acute angle before having to come off with an injured groin.

And McDonald revealed that Ojo told the changing room after the game that he wasn't as sharp as he should've been, with the 28-year-old looking forward to the 20-year-old getting into the rhythm of things.

He said: "The international break has come at the right time - we got a win on the board and we aren't going into it on the back of a defeat.

(Image: Paul Burgman/Press-Photos.com)

"I think the new boys have done well - Sheyi was good at Ipswich, I've played with him at Wolves so I know what he can do and I thought he did very well, both on and off the ball.

"In the changing room afterwards he said he didn't feel as sharp as he should do which can only be a positive for us after seeing how good he was today.

"So he did well and then Rui came and he's clever and got his goal, unfortunately he got his knock but a couple of weeks of rest and he'll be good to go for the next game against Cardiff."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kevin-mcdonald-impressed-liverpool-loanee-13563175

WhiteJC

USMNT Player Ratings: Cameron and Ream fall flat in Costa Rica upset

The center backs struggled as the Americans dropped a 2-0 result in World Cup qualifying at Red Bull Arena

HARRISON, N.J. — For nine months, Bruce Arena was unbeaten in his second stint as U.S. national team coach. As the Americans moved up the standings in World Cup qualifying and claimed the CONCACAF Gold Cup title, it seemed as if the 65-year-old could do no wrong.

That was, until Friday at Red Bull Arena.

Tasked with choosing a center back pair in the absence of the injured John Brooks, Arena sat the proven duo of Omar Gonzalez and Matt Besler in favor of a first-time partnership: Tim Ream and Geoff Cameron.

And that lack of chemistry was apparent as the Americans' World Cup hopes grew increasingly tenuous, with both veterans making crucial errors in a 2-0 loss to Costa Rica. While several players delivered off-nights at an inopportune time, it's the Cameron-Ream duo that will draw the most scrutiny ahead of Tuesday's trip to face Honduras in San Pedro Sula.

Here are Goal's full player ratings from the Americans' loss to Costa Rica:

GK TIM HOWARD, 4: Wasn't tested much aside from the two goals, and those are two he'll want back.

D GRAHAM ZUSI, 5: Got the job done defensively — for the most part — but wasn't overly involved going forward in a game the U.S. needed to dominate out wide.

D GEOFF CAMERON, 3: Delivered an uncharacteristically sloppy performance, failing to develop an understanding with Ream while making miscues in distribution — including a brutal giveaway that led to Marco Urena's second strike.

D TIM REAM, 3: Got the start but didn't seize the opportunity, struggling to contain Urena throughout and looking particularly vulnerable on the opener.

D JORGE VILLAFANA, 5: Was exposed at times while also making some decent interventions. Like Zusi, didn't offer much in the attack before exiting in the second half.

M CHRISTIAN PULISIC, 6: Found himself isolated on the right flank but still caused problems with his pace and precision on the dribble. Did struggle to get going after halftime.

M MICHAEL BRADLEY, 5: Won battles in midfield and occasionally offered dangerous distribution, though breaking down the Costa Rican defense proved difficult.

M DARLINGTON NAGBE, 6: Dropped deep to spark a couple U.S. attacks with a bold commitment to building out of the back. Just couldn't find the final ball, though.

M FABIAN JOHNSON, 4: It was another uneventful outing in midfield before he dropped to left back for the first time in the Arena era.

F JOZY ALTIDORE, 6: Was a handful for the Costa Rican back line thanks to his movement and physicality, giving the U.S. its most consistently dangerous option going forward. Perhaps deserved to earn a penalty in the first half.

F BOBBY WOOD, 4: His combination play didn't come off, even if he worked hard on both sides of the ball.

Substitutes

F CLINT DEMPSEY, 5: Never found a rhythm after entering to much fanfare midway through the second half.

M JORDAN MORRIS, N/A: Got off the bench as the U.S. searched for the equalizer but came on just as the deficit turned to two goals.

M PAUL ARRIOLA, N/A: Made a late cameo.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/usmnt-player-ratings-geoff-cameron-and-tim-ream-fall-flat-in/1euxcvq4f0i3o18n6x5ifn7y7m

WhiteJC

Everton's new signing Dennis Adeniran pens leaving message after eight years at Fulham

The 18-year-old left for Merseyside in a Deadline Day move from boyhood club Fulham and he has penned a leaving message to fans of the club

Everton's new signing Dennis Adeniran has penned a leaving message after his deadline day move from Fulham to the Merseyside club.

The 18-year-old, who has been at Fulham since he was ten-years-old, joined Everton and their U23 side in a Deadline Day move.

Adeniran made his professional debut for his boyhood club last season and made it a scoring debut when his header hit the back of the net in an EFL Cup tie against Leyton Orient before making his league debut against Nottingham Forest as a sub.

He first joined the club as a striker but made the move to midfield, playing a key role for Peter Grant's U23 Fulham side and England's U17 and U18 age groups.

Here's what he had to say on leaving the club:

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/evertons-new-signing-dennis-adeniran-13563392

WhiteJC

Matt Smith reveals truth behind Fulham's Tom Cairney reported Deadline Day swap deal for Newcastle man Dwight Gayle

Reports had suggested that a swap deal between Cairney and Gayle was being considered, but the man himself had no idea about any move

Matt Smith has revealed the truth behind a reported Deadline Day swap deal behind Fulham's Tom Cairney and Newcastle's Dwight Gayle.

Fulham had attempted to sign the Newcastle striker on the final day of the Transfer Window, but the move fell through with Gayle wanting to stay on Tyneside before reports stated a swap deal between Cairney and Gayle was being touted.

Newcastle had been interested in Cairney earlier on in the window before he signed a new contract at Craven Cottage, and speaking to BBC Fighting Talk, Smith revealed he was sat next to Cairney watching the TV, with both confused when the reported swap was announced.

He said: "It was my best mate Tom Cairney at Fulham, he's not leaving, which means I've still got my next door neighbour and my coffee partner after training which is good.

"I was actually sat with him on the sofa watching Deadline Day and then all of a sudden, out of nowhere, it goes we're hearing Tom Cairney is in for a swap deal with Dwight Gayle and I looked at him and said 'T, I've been sat with you for two hours and you've not mentioned a thing' and he's said 'I don't have a clue about this one!'"

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/matt-smith-reveals-truth-behind-13563484

WhiteJC

International Whites

Oliver Norwood played the full 90 as Northern Ireland left it late but ended up comfortably winning 3-0 in San Marino. Charlton Athletic's Josh Magennis hit a five-minute brace in the latter stages of the game, before former Fulham midfielder Steven Davis made sure of the points from the penalty spot.

The result leaves Northern Ireland second in Group C, seven points ahead of the Czech Republic, for whom Tomas Kalas played the entirety as they were unfortunate to go down to 2-1 to Germany in Prague. Timo Werner put the World Cup holders in front early on, only for Vladimir Darida to equalise from distance. Mats Hummels headed home in the 88th minute, though, which means the Czechs need to beat Northern Ireland on Monday to stand any chance of snatching second place.

Norway are also in Group C, but their hopes of qualifying for Russia are effectively over, despite a 2-0 home win over Azerbaijan. Stefan Johansen captained the side as they secured a routine victory, with a Josh King penalty and Rashad Sadygov's own goal doing the damage.

On the other side of the world, Tim Ream couldn't prevent the United States from slipping to a 2-0 defeat to Costa Rica. On his return to New York, Ream's side were beaten by Marco Urena's double, the first of which was assisted by ex-Whites playmaker Bryan Ruiz. It is a result which dents the States' qualifying hopes, as they now only have eight points from seven matches.

At Under-21 level, Marek Rodák was in goal as Slovakia claimed a 2-1 win in Estonia to ensure their European Championship qualifying campaign got off to an ideal start.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/september/02/international-round-up

WhiteJC

So, what kind of transfer window was it?
by Dan on September 2, 2017

I thought it best to let the dust settle after all the drama and emotion of deadline day. When Fulham failed to get past Reading in the play-off semi-finals last May after such an incredible end to the regular season, I felt that the team that had gloriously swept their way into the top six under Slavisa Jokanovic would gradually be broken up as a consequence. The lure of the Premier League, I pessimistically presumed, would be prove too strong to retain the likes of Tom Cairney and Ryan Sessegnon – and maybe even the head coach himself. Tomas Kalas, so painfully penalised on that agonising night at the Madjeski Stadium, would probably find top flight football with other employers.

By the start of this season, it was clear I was wrong. Arguably, the club's best bit of business was ensuring that both Cairney, newly established as the Fulham captain following the retirement of Scott Parker, and Sessegnon signed new deals early in the summer. Kalas and Lucas Piazon – after a certain amount of negotiation with their 'parent' club – opted for another year at Craven Cottage and Jokanovic, despite noises to the contrary, remained to prowl the Riverside dugout. One Twitter correspondent claimed that adding these names to any analysis of the summer transfer window imparted 'more spin that New Labour'. I'm obviously biased there – but I think any estimation of the business Fulham have done during the summer months has to begin with the players they've preserved from last season because keeping the key men makes Slavisa's job that bit easier.

Equally, there would be compelling cases for considering both Scott Malone and Sone Aluko as pivotal performers in that side. Both are plying their trade elsewhere. In Malone's case that in the top flight with newly-promoted Huddersfield Town – with both the dream of Premier League and the value of a fee that could reach £5m proving irresistible. Malone's move to the Terriers also opened a spot for Sessegnon at left back, even if the teenager will shortly be contesting that position with Rafa Soares. Aluko's departure is the more arresting one, given how integral he proved to last season's side, and Jokanovic's very public insistence that losing the Nigerian forward would be a 'disaster' in pre-season. I can think of about £7.5m remains why the Serbian might now have revised his opinion.

Aluko would himself admit that he has never proven a prolific goalscorer and Fulham are, as a result of the rest of business conducted during August, now supremely well-stocked in the wide positions. Even allowing for Piazon's prolonged spell on the sidelines, Jokanovic now has to perm two wingers from Neeskens Kebano, Floyd Ayite, Sheyi Ojo, Jordan Graham, Yohan Mollo, George Williams and possibly Ryan Sessegnon too. Kebano offered a shining example of his ability against Ipswich whilst Ojo has plenty more he can display in a Fulham shirt having turned down a surfeit of other suitors to move to London.

The acquisitions of both Graham, whose fitness problems seemed to count against him after an impressive pre-season with Wolves, and Mollo are intriguing. The latter's spell with Zenit St. Petersburg ended both abruptly and unhappily but it shouldn't mask the talent he oozed earlier in his Russian stay and at the start of his career with Marseilles, Nancy and the French under-21s. There's a clearly a feisty and artful winger in there – and we'll see whether Jokanovic can extract something extra.

Even signing eleven players over the summer does leave some question marks. With Rui Fonte limping out of the win at Portman Road and Aboubakar Kamara clearly still acclimatising to the unique demands of English football, Fulham still feel somewhat light in the striking department. Kebano and Ayite filled in admirably at the tail end of last term whilst Stevie Humphrys has been banging them in for the Under 23s, but you can see why Fulham were willing to splash the cash on Dwight Gayle. Moves for Fernando Forestieri and Jota never really materialised, but that could have the added impact of freeing up funds for January – where Fulham haven't spent significantly since Roy Hodgson ended Brede Hangeland and Erik Nevland in 2008.

There are also worries about the strength in depth at the heart of the defence should anything happen to Kalas or Tim Ream, who has proven a revelation since returning to the starting eleven. Marcelo Djalo has yet to convince when he has had the chance, which has seen Denis Odoi switch to centre back despite being a natural full-back. The Belgian did the job brilliantly when the Whites went a man down inside 31 seconds at the Madjeski last month. Michael Madl, rumoured to have been on his way to Legia Warsaw, remains a very capable option in central defence.

The late moves for Aluko and Denis Adeniran, who Fulham lost to Everton later on Thursday evening, mean that the club's net spend seems negligible, which should help ensure that the Whites comply with the FFP regulations put in place by the EFL. A window that delivered plenty of new signings, held onto the club's prized assets and ensured that Fulham remained on a sustainable footing doesn't sound so disastrous to me.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/09/so-what-kind-of-transfer-window-was-it/