Main Menu

NFR: John Motson to retire

Started by Barrett487, September 06, 2017, 12:13:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrett487

One of the voices of football imo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41159991

John Motson: Commentator to end BBC football career after 50 years

Legendary commentator John Motson will call time on his BBC career aged 72 after the conclusion of the current football season.

The broadcaster, popularly known as 'Motty', is in his 50th consecutive year with the corporation.

He covered 10 World Cups, 10 European Championships, 29 FA Cup finals and more than 200 England games.

"I've absolutely loved my time commentating for BBC Sport," said Motson.

"I've been fortunate enough to witness some of the biggest moments in football history mere yards away from the action, so I've really been very lucky."

Motson, known for his trademark sheepskin coats and encyclopaedic knowledge of the game, wants to continue his links with the sport.

"I'm hoping to keep my association with football and with broadcasting - I'm not retiring from everything, I'm retiring from the BBC," he said.

'Farewell tour' for commentator

He will commentate on 18 games over the course of the Premier League season as part of a 'farewell tour' before a last appearance during the BBC's FA Cup final programme in May 2018.

The announcement comes as Motson makes his return to the Match of the Day programme at Brighton v West Brom on Saturday.

Barbara Slater, BBC director of sport, said: "John Motson is a real asset to the football world and he will be sorely missed.

"It isn't hard to see why he is so highly treasured, not just by the BBC but also by the nation, due to his instantly recognisable voice, wonderful sense of humour and his incredible dedication to the sport.

"As he moves on from commentating for BBC Sport, we wish him the best of luck for the future."

Memorable Motson moments

"Radford again. OH WHAT A GOAL! What a goal! Radford the scorer" - The blistering strike from non-league Hereford's Ronnie Radford that helped put Newcastle out of the FA Cup in 1972 and placed Motson on the map as a commentator.

"For those of you watching in black and white, Spurs are in the all-yellow strip" - Commentating on a Tottenham game.

"Villa...AND STILL RICKY VILLA! What a fantastic run! He's scored!" - Ricky Villa's winning goal for Spurs in the 1981 FA Cup final replay.

"And there it is, the Crazy Gang have beaten the Culture Club!" - The final whistle as Wimbledon defeated Liverpool in the 1988 FA Cup final.

"This is almost fantasy football" - Norwich City go 2-0 up against Bayern Munich in the Olympic Stadium during the Canaries' Uefa Cup run of 1993.

"Ohhh, this is getting better and better and better. One, two, three for Michael Owen!" - Owen completes his hat-trick in England's 5-1 win over Germany in 2001.

"And the referee has gone across now with his hand in his pocket. He's been told about it. He's off, it's red, it's Zidane! You can't excuse that - Zidane's career ends in disgrace!" - Zinedine Zidane's sending off in the 2006 World Cup

'The perfectly pitched voice'

The son of a Methodist minister, Motson joined the BBC in 1968, following stints as a reporter on the Barnet Press and Sheffield Morning Telegraph.

After starting out as a sports reporter on Radio 2, he made his breakthrough on Match of the Day during the famous FA Cup replay between Hereford and Newcastle four years later.

Originally billed as a five-minute segment, Hereford's shock 2-1 win - thanks to Ronnie Radford's 30-yard strike - saw the match promoted to the main game, with Motson capturing all the drama.

Despite rivalry with Barry Davies, from 1979 to 2008 Motson was the BBC's voice on major finals such as the FA Cup, European Championships and World Cup.

That run included his record-breaking sixth World Cup final in Berlin in 2006 and his 29th FA Cup final in 2008.

In 2001, he became an OBE for services to sports broadcasting.

"I thought about wearing my sheepskin, but I didn't think it was appropriate," said Motson, standing resplendent in morning dress.

Research by speech experts that year found Motson had the perfectly pitched voice for football commentary.

The study said he had twice the range, spoke at double the speed and could be twice as loud or soft as the average person.

He was caricatured by a virtual 'Mini Motty' on the BBC Sport website and topped polls asking for the nation's favourite commentator.

Lighthouse

The very last of the big name football commentators. In the days when we didn't have as many. Kenneth Wolstenholme, David Coleman, Barry Davies, Brian Moore and I guess the regional ones on ITV. Gerald Sinstadt etc. Then Motson came along and was the last of them. Nowadays they all merge into one for me. But as in all things I may be looking back with a rose coloured voice box.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Barrett487

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 06, 2017, 12:41:08 AM
The very last of the big name football commentators. In the days when we didn't have as many. Kenneth Wolstenholme, David Coleman, Barry Davies, Brian Moore and I guess the regional ones on ITV. Gerald Sinstadt etc. Then Motson came along and was the last of them. Nowadays they all merge into one for me. But as in all things I may be looking back with a rose coloured voice box.

There were fewer commentators in those days, but the quality seemed higher. Tony Gubba was ok as well.

westcliff white

he was a good commentator in his day, last few years I have found his tone dull. Its a shame but football moved on and his style was still where it was.

As I say good in his day, and a shame the last of the great names of commentary is retiring.

Wish him well
Every day is a Fulham day

Fulham1959

I remember seeing a letter from a teenage (presumably) John Motson in an old Football Monthly.

Motty is a 'legend', I know, but I always preferred the minimal approach of Barry Davies.  David Coleman was excellent, too, and always came off as authoritative and knowledgeable.

ron

Quote from: Fulham1959 on September 06, 2017, 10:47:20 AM
I remember seeing a letter from a teenage (presumably) John Motson in an old Football Monthly.

Motty is a 'legend', I know, but I always preferred the minimal approach of Barry Davies.  David Coleman was excellent, too, and always came off as authoritative and knowledgeable.

I agree with the idea of minimal approach. Richie Benaud always described the art of cricket commentary being in knowing when to keep quiet.

Carborundum

The thing I like about Motson's commentary is that everything he says stems from a simple fact: he loves football. Not broadcasting, not himself, not a particular team.  It's made him very easy to identify with.

filham

A truly great commentator who will really be missed by the BBC.
He has stated that one of his favourite football grounds is the Cottage.

Holders

Quote from: ron on September 06, 2017, 11:02:30 AM
Quote from: Fulham1959 on September 06, 2017, 10:47:20 AM

I agree with the idea of minimal approach. Richie Benaud always described the art of cricket commentary being in knowing when to keep quiet.

A fine example. So many football commentators seem to think that they have to prattle non-stop.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Holders

Quote from: filham on September 06, 2017, 11:48:38 AM

ONE of his favourite grounds?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

hovewhite

Quote from: Holders on September 06, 2017, 02:57:44 PM
Quote from: filham on September 06, 2017, 11:48:38 AM

ONE of his favourite grounds?
A true fan of the beutiful game with a passion,fitting his last game the FA Cup FInal,doubt we will listen to his like again.thanks motty sheepskin n all!

gezkc

I've never really been a fan of Motty to be honest. Brian Moore and others mentioned above were far better imo, but good luck to him in his retirement.

bog

There was one commentary when his voice broke with excitement. One of the bets is Motty. I recall the BBC had a competition before a World Cup for the public to enter to find a commentator, some bloke from Wales won it, I wonder what happened to he? 

092.gif