watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Mathew Briggs

Started by bog, September 03, 2017, 12:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

I see Mathew Briggs has signed for Chesterfield. Now aged 25 I think he still holds the record for the youngest debut in the Premier League?

092.gif

Bassey the warrior

Found his level then. I always thought he was overhyped. I wonder if Woodrow's career will pan out the same way.

bog

I hope it doesn't. Seems hard to believe that Harry Kane went the same as Woodrow at Spurs. On loan to so many clubs and not really regarded highly and now.....

092.gif

Supermitch

Quote from: bog on September 03, 2017, 12:36:45 PM
I see Mathew Briggs has signed for Chesterfield. Now aged 25 I think he still holds the record for the youngest debut in the Premier League?

092.gif

Correct - still has the record at 16 years and 65 days.  Think he was one who may have been let down by his attitude.

Carborundum

Well, he's making a living as a professional footballer.  I'm a bit jealous. 

res

Quote from: bog on September 03, 2017, 12:36:45 PM

092.gif

Made his debut, as a sub., at Middlesborough I think, just after his 16th birthday. I thought it was a gimmick at the time, by our then manager, Sanchez, as there was no particular reason for bringing him on.
Went to Millwall under Holloway, and then to my home town, Colchester, where the general comment was that no-one could work out whether he was a full back, centre back, or a wing back. Didn't hear any comments about bad attitude, just that he wasn't strong or physical enough...also prone to ball watching. Picked up a bad injury last year which precipitated Colchester not renewing his contract.
Just wish him better luck at Chesterfield.

filham

Yes, we all had high hopes for Briggs and now at his prime he is in the lower divisions.
Of couse it begs the question could Sess. end up at a similar level and therefore should we cash in on him now and let a big club take the risk on his development.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: filham on September 03, 2017, 05:58:48 PM
Yes, we all had high hopes for Briggs and now at his prime he is in the lower divisions.
Of couse it begs the question could Sess. end up at a similar level and therefore should we cash in on him now and let a big club take the risk on his development.

An obvious difference being Sess is already a far better player that Briggs ever was.

res

Quote from: Stefan The Viking (The Moose) on September 03, 2017, 07:24:47 PM

An obvious difference being Sess is already a far better player that Briggs ever was.

There's no comparison between Briggs and Ryan S

bog

In the FA Cup final when  United played Millwall didn't Denis Wise, as player/manager of them Lions, bring  a very young sub on so as to be the youngest to play in a final? Anyone recall his name?

092.gif

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: bog on September 04, 2017, 08:14:00 AM
In the FA Cup final when  United played Millwall didn't Denis Wise, as player/manager of them Lions, bring  a very young sub on so as to be the youngest to play in a final? Anyone recall his name?

092.gif

Forgot Dennis Wise was a manager in a fa cup final - what happened to that guy? Your fella by the way is Curtis Weston who went on to the heights of Gillingham before ending up 30 at Barnet. Bless him.

filham

Quote from: res on September 03, 2017, 08:23:02 PM

Rememember Sess. has yet to be tested in the Premiership.

MJG

But would not the club management lose all credibility in doing that? Or at least thats what you said about the TC possible swap.
Just the views of a long term fan

masterhaynes

Quote from: filham on September 04, 2017, 11:46:18 AM

You could say Briggs was not really tested ether with Duff having to defend by constantly dropping back front of him to defend him and instruct Briggs the whole 90 mins on what to do, where to position himself and when to overlap(and this was in our last season in the Premiership in his early 20's). I always puzzled on what others saw, to me Briggs just didn't seem to be able to work out what was happening around him. I still feel he was at fault for our early exit from the EUFA cup with the last minute goal Odense scored to knock us out,  he gave so much time and space for their player to time and pick his cross for that equalising goal. He just couldn't see the danger even though they had a couple warnings with Odense realising he was the weakness and playing the ball out to their left to cross a number of times in last 10 mins of that game.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: masterhaynes on September 04, 2017, 04:20:06 PM

You could say Briggs was not really tested ether with Duff having to defend by constantly dropping back front of him to defend him and instruct Briggs the whole 90 mins on what to do, where to position himself and when to overlap(and this was in our last season in the Premiership in his early 20's). I always puzzled on what others saw, to me Briggs just didn't seem to be able to work out what was happening around him. I still feel he was at fault for our early exit from the EUFA cup with the last minute goal Odense scored to knock us out,  he gave so much time and space for their player to time and pick his cross for that equalising goal. He just couldn't see the danger even though they had a couple warnings with Odense realising he was the weakness and playing the ball out to their left to cross a number of times in last 10 mins of that game.

Briggs did score a decent goal at Crusaders. I wonder if he'd have had more luck if he'd been pushed forward a bit more similar to how Sess has been used. 3 goals in 120 would suggest no however.

bog

Quote from: masterhaynes on September 04, 2017, 04:20:06 PM

I will never forget that sickening end to our involvement.  fp.gif

092.gif

aaronmcguigan

Quote from: bog on September 04, 2017, 04:31:48 PM
you could say Briggs was not really tested ether with Duff having to defend by constantly dropping back front of him to defend him and instruct Briggs the whole 90 mins on what to do, where to position himself and when to overlap(and this was in our last season in the Premiership in his early 20's).

Briggs only played 2 sub appearances in our relegation season.
Pointing out premier league and Europa games is no good. A fair comparison is what Briggs done on loan in the championship at Peterborough, Bristol City and Watford where he done alright, but at that time the championship seemed to suit him. He's now played in every league division and hasn't stood out in any of them . Hopefully he can sort out some consistency and form to save him going down in memory as that statistic being the youngest premier player, and nothing else

SouthfieldWhite

There's also a different Matthew Briggs who plays for Dorking Wanderers that a few league clubs have been looking at him.