https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Betting Advertising on Shirts

Started by Logicalman, September 06, 2017, 04:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holders

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 06, 2017, 07:50:26 PM
Quote from: hovewhite on September 06, 2017, 07:46:26 PM
Politicians appearin to be concerened about peoples welfare,pul the other one ,what next controls on alchohol re introducing the beer escalator tax.
these people anti anything enjoyment so put more tax on it all,thats what the last labour goverment did.big brother believing they know best.they should keep there nose out.

Exactly

Quite right - all that employment protection sh*t.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Lighthouse

Quote from: Holders on September 06, 2017, 05:38:22 PM
Lighthouse, is there anything that should be banned or should people have full freedom of choice? In other words, where would you draw the line, if at all? Hard drugs?

It is difficuilt isn't it? I object to censorship but clearly some parts of society have to be protected. I don't think shirt advertising is going to pull kids and vulnerable people into habits they can't control. We need Governments and Political Parties to help control certain 'vices'. It would help by stopping fixed odds machines in betting shops. Even stopping all night betting being on main stream tv. Hard drugs are already illegal so clearly one can't advertise those on shirts. But then people can become easily addicted to legal prescription drugs. I think making a point about advertising is a cheap, no nothing way of trying to prove that a political party is trying to do something while in fact they are doing nothing. 
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Southdowns White

Personally I think most advertising on shirts looks cheap and does nothing to enhance the visual aspect of them. I went to the shop and asked if I could have a plain shirt with no advertising which is what I got. Most people probably don't mind the adverts but I run and play football in mine and it is the one thing that dates the shirts. I like people to see the badge of the team I support but not the adverts for products I care nothing about.

Holders

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 06, 2017, 08:14:01 PM
Lighthouse, is there anything that should be banned or should people have full freedom of choice? In other words, where would you draw the line, if at all? Hard drugs?

It is difficuilt isn't it? I object to censorship but clearly some parts of society have to be protected. I don't think shirt advertising is going to pull kids and vulnerable people into habits they can't control. We need Governments and Political Parties to help control certain 'vices'. It would help by stopping fixed odds machines in betting shops. Even stopping all night betting being on main stream tv. Hard drugs are already illegal so clearly one can't advertise those on shirts. But then people can become easily addicted to legal prescription drugs. I think making a point about advertising is a cheap, no nothing way of trying to prove that a political party is trying to do something while in fact they are doing nothing. 

I'm not one for over-prescriptiveness either, I just think that gambling is another vice like smoking and drinking and it might be a small start - it would show that it's not quite mainstream and wouldn't be there to perhaps encourage people, in however minor a way. There's no doubt that attitudes to smoking and drinking have changed drastically in my lifetime and particularly since the restrictions and campaigns started.

Lighthouse

Quote from: Holders on September 06, 2017, 08:21:36 PM

I'm not one for over-prescriptiveness either, I just think that gambling is another vice like smoking and drinking and it might be a small start - it would show that it's not quite mainstream and wouldn't be there to perhaps encourage people, in however minor a way. There's no doubt that attitudes to smoking and drinking have changed drastically in my lifetime and particularly since the restrictions and campaigns started.

Banning smoking in pubs and public places has I would suggest done more. Banning sugar amounts in drinks etc. If you want to ban fixed odd machines or public gambling on tv. Then go for it but sport shirts is not a place to start. Please don't let them ever ban cake though. Let me go from a cake overdose.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Holders

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 06, 2017, 08:29:14 PM
Quote from: Holders on September 06, 2017, 08:21:36 PM

Banning smoking in pubs and public places has I would suggest done more. Banning sugar amounts in drinks etc. If you want to ban fixed odd machines or public gambling on tv. Then go for it but sport shirts is not a place to start. Please don't let them ever ban cake though. Let me go from a cake overdose.

I'm a non-smoker and wasn't that enthusiastic about banning smoking in pubs - if I didn't like the smell I could use my free will to take my business elsewhere. However, there's no doubt that it's been a great success. I didn't interpret banning gambling adverts on football shirts as a political point, it just seemed a fair point that anyone might make and maybe a small step in the right direction - in that impressionable kids wouldn't associate the vice, even subconsciously, with their heroes. 

So you're not in favour of banning Bake-off?

hovewhite

It just shows people making decisions that we elect ,none of em live in the world that we all exist in.

alfie

A friend of mine is an alcoholic, he does not need any advertising, he knows it's here and where to get it.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Woolly Mammoth

I am addicted to Football, can anybody help, and what advice would you give me.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Twig

Betting is a huge problem and addiction has destroyed countless lives. I am not anti but I certainly recognise the problems.  I recently took Sky and have been shocked how much gambling advertising there is during day time on the sports channels when lots of kids are viewing. For me that is where controls are needed as a far higher priority than shirt advertising.

hovewhite

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 06, 2017, 09:13:15 PM
Thats the perscription its your fix enjoyment so keep taking the mdicine and its a expensive perscription.

gezkc

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 06, 2017, 09:13:15 PM
Start following Reading. You'll never want to watch another game of football again.

Jurassic Parker

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 06, 2017, 05:29:38 PM
Why not ban fast food, holiday destinations,toy adverts, drink adverts, banks. In fact anything that is aimed at taking our money in case we are put under pressure to spend money we don't have. Lets just have Union and Labour party adverts as frankly we are all so weak we need to be led around by our noses by those who are far superior to us and know how we should behave.

Why not take down statues of people we don't agree with anymore. Let's not even allow people to debate in schools or Universities. Let's face it these people are better than us know how we should behave.

Or they could actually leave us alone and start sorting out their own deep problems.

EDIT: I feel I should perhaps just say, after reading and realising how long my post is. Just because I agreed with Lighthouse and went on a ramble, it doesn't mean he agrees with me

Lighthouse, I could not agree with you further.
Before I type this, and whilst I am aware perhaps a disclaimer is not needed as there is the possbility that no one will care about this post, I want to say I have not read past Lighthouses post on the first page, so apologies if I have missed anything.

However as hyperbolic as your post may seem, it rings very true. We are currently living within a logical fallacy, or so it would seem. It seems we al constantly living in illogical thoughts, me included, momentary emotional projection reign supreme. The current logical fallacy that was once deemed by dare I say 'the right', is the slippery slope; the slippery slope argument was once deemed as right wing fallacy. But at what point will you say 'hey, you can't tell us what to do'?.

There are people in this thread advocating for this. 'It was cigarettes first, we should continue', 'gambling destroyes lives!' etc etc. Well tell you what, the west is experiencing an obesity crisis. Every local pub has its alcoholics. Diebetes is on the rise. Yet I still see those go down to the stands at half time for a pint of lager, a pie, and a bottle of coke for the little one.

I am in danger of making this political, espeically with mention of the ever ambiguous terms of 'the left' and 'the right'. As such I will state that I am libertarian in many senses. I don't think libertarianism makes sense as a political viewpoint as it assumes everyone will do right and act right, I believe in my own ability to act and do right (unfortunately I can't expect others to do the same, the issue of libertarianism). As such I only believe it right for others to do the same, but as said, you can't epect them to. If they can not resist gambling away their life because of advertisements glamourising it, then I believe perhaps they will not be particularly succesfull anyway.

With that said, and to devils advocate against myself, it will be interesting to see how the cigarette packet change and lack of advertisement availability effects sales. We are still waiting to see sugar demonised unfortunately as big sugar such as coca-cola convinced the world its fat making us have diabetes. And god knows the socially acceptable alcohol is a socially acceptable strain as much as we all love it.
I'm ready to be shown wrong. But I believe in personal responsibility, I don't believe gambling advertisements are doing anything but showing those pre-disposed another place to gamble - third world countries don't need Bet365, they just need a pair of dices.

and with this highly self-righteous post, I will add that I drink too much and smoke too much. Vices are vices, control your own, lets  stop trying to control the vices of others. Society needs to create better mothers and fathers, it shouldn't try and replace them with the state.

love4ffc

I just wish we could have the option to pay more for a shirt with no sponsor. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Southdowns White

Pressure from the majority of the public is the only thing that will get gambling, drinking, smoking, sugar etc banned from view. If you have seen close friends and family die or suffer from anything related to any of these things it may change your mind on the issue of advertising, But I feel most people don't really care about advertising as they think it doesn't affect them directly. It would take a very brave government to deal with the issue of advertising products that have problems associated with them as they rely on the revenue created from these industries. Look how many years it has taken to deal with some of the aspects around smoking, we have know for 60 years that smoking kills.
You only need one terrible disaster like Grenfell to change the way we deal with the causes surrounding it yet every day thousands of people are suffering because of smoking, gambling, drinking and obesity. How can this happen in a country mad on health and safety? The answer is quite simple, Money. Things will change and the governments of the future will gradually find other ways to get the money needed to run the country but until then it's Gamble .com on the front of our football shirts. 

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Jurassic Parker on September 07, 2017, 01:31:58 AM
Quote from: Lighthouse on September 06, 2017, 05:29:38 PM
Why not ban fast food, holiday destinations,toy adverts, drink adverts, banks. In fact anything that is aimed at taking our money in case we are put under pressure to spend money we don't have. Lets just have Union and Labour party adverts as frankly we are all so weak we need to be led around by our noses by those who are far superior to us and know how we should behave.

Why not take down statues of people we don't agree with anymore. Let's not even allow people to debate in schools or Universities. Let's face it these people are better than us know how we should behave.

Or they could actually leave us alone and start sorting out their own deep problems.

EDIT: I feel I should perhaps just say, after reading and realising how long my post is. Just because I agreed with Lighthouse and went on a ramble, it doesn't mean he agrees with me

Lighthouse, I could not agree with you further.
Before I type this, and whilst I am aware perhaps a disclaimer is not needed as there is the possbility that no one will care about this post, I want to say I have not read past Lighthouses post on the first page, so apologies if I have missed anything.

However as hyperbolic as your post may seem, it rings very true. We are currently living within a logical fallacy, or so it would seem. It seems we al constantly living in illogical thoughts, me included, momentary emotional projection reign supreme. The current logical fallacy that was once deemed by dare I say 'the right', is the slippery slope; the slippery slope argument was once deemed as right wing fallacy. But at what point will you say 'hey, you can't tell us what to do'?.

There are people in this thread advocating for this. 'It was cigarettes first, we should continue', 'gambling destroyes lives!' etc etc. Well tell you what, the west is experiencing an obesity crisis. Every local pub has its alcoholics. Diebetes is on the rise. Yet I still see those go down to the stands at half time for a pint of lager, a pie, and a bottle of coke for the little one.

I am in danger of making this political, espeically with mention of the ever ambiguous terms of 'the left' and 'the right'. As such I will state that I am libertarian in many senses. I don't think libertarianism makes sense as a political viewpoint as it assumes everyone will do right and act right, I believe in my own ability to act and do right (unfortunately I can't expect others to do the same, the issue of libertarianism). As such I only believe it right for others to do the same, but as said, you can't epect them to. If they can not resist gambling away their life because of advertisements glamourising it, then I believe perhaps they will not be particularly succesfull anyway.

With that said, and to devils advocate against myself, it will be interesting to see how the cigarette packet change and lack of advertisement availability effects sales. We are still waiting to see sugar demonised unfortunately as big sugar such as coca-cola convinced the world its fat making us have diabetes. And god knows the socially acceptable alcohol is a socially acceptable strain as much as we all love it.
I'm ready to be shown wrong. But I believe in personal responsibility, I don't believe gambling advertisements are doing anything but showing those pre-disposed another place to gamble - third world countries don't need Bet365, they just need a pair of dices.

and with this highly self-righteous post, I will add that I drink too much and smoke too much. Vices are vices, control your own, lets  stop trying to control the vices of others. Society needs to create better mothers and fathers, it shouldn't try and replace them with the state.

I have to agree with most of what you say, especially the last paragraph.
If the state ever got its way completely, we would be in a right state.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Holders

All the above brings to mind that recently the bloke who advocated birth-control for chavs got forced to withdraw that statement.

toshes mate

Perhaps addiction isn't really about advertising at all.

In the 1970's with drug use running high in the USA, an experiment with a solitary rat in a cage with two bottles of water, one pure and one laced with cocaine and heroin.  The rat returns to the laced bottle of choice for its drink and continuously does so until it dies from its addiction.  This experiment was used in an advertisement to illustrate the perils of hard drug addiction.  However another interested Canadian scientist, Professor Bruce Alexander, wondered what would happen if the experiment was repeated with several rats in an environment with lots of things to do and the freedom to choose what they did.  Water was provided from two sources, a pure bottle and a laced bottle with cocaine and heroin.  The result was that less than a quarter of the laced water was consumed over the same time scale with rats preferring the pure bottle out of choice.  The experiment was repeated several times with the same result.  Not one rat died from addiction. 

The Professor then decided to take isolated and addicted rats (from fifty seven days consuming laced water) and introduce them to the 'adventure' park.  Astonishingly the rats weaned themselves off the laced water and ceased to be addicted but entirely capable of consuming the laced water out of choice if they wanted to.  The experiments raised all manner of conflicting messages about society and addiction even allowing for the big difference between rats and humans in anatomy if not character.  The debates about addiction and its causes continue but the facts of these experiments remain.    Does this indicate that when we are happy and free we tend not to hook ourselves to something that will eventually harm us and know when to stop?

Skatzoffc

They take enough tax revenue from these companies so it all strikes a tad hollow with me. They don't give a hoot about addiction of susceptible people.
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

westcliff white

i understand people's resistance to gambling sponsorship, but where will it end. Banning supermarkets / shops / food companies sponsoring due to obesity, banning gaming companies for the same reasons as kids just sit there not exercising, banning drinks companies due to alcoholism (same as gambling right now as in not on kids shorts, banning coke from advertising as too much sugar etc.

Do one then doo them all, there all a kind of addiction.

Basically, lets ban all on short advertising and go back to how the game was in the 70's. What makes me laugh is that everyone who wants these things banned probably does one or other of them, a sweepstake on the national, a rum and coke, a burger etc, it becomes hypocritical to a degree

Every day is a Fulham day