watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (13/09/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 13, 2010, 07:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premiership/fulham-beat-wolves-but-bobby-zamora-faces-long-layoff-14947028.html?
Fulham beat Wolves but Bobby Zamora faces long lay-off

Fulham 2 Wolves 1: Fulham's Craven Cottage victory over Wolves was tempered by the news that Bobby Zamora could be out for at least four months with a broken leg.

The striker, who has just signed a new four-year deal with the club, was caught by Karl Henry in the 29th minute and collapsed in agony.

Zamora needed lengthy treatment before being carried off the pitch wearing an oxygen mask. Fulham's manager, Mark Hughes, said: "If the injury is as we think it is, then he will be out for four months after surgery. If the break is just above his ankle bone, he could be out for even longer.

"I don't blame [Henry], there is always a danger legs can get trapped. I don't think there was any intent."

Wolves had taken the lead in the 10th minute through Jelle Van Damme, but Fulham hit back with two second-half goals from Moussa Démbéle. Mick McCarthy's side were reduced to 10 men when Christophe Berra was sent off in an unhappy day for Wolves.

Hughes was delighted with Démbéle's contribution. The striker, signed from the Dutch side AZ Alkmaar for £5 million in the transfer window, was impressive, and Hughes tipped the 23-year-old to have a bright future at the club.

He said: "Moussa is an good young player. When he is in possession, you can expect him to do something exciting with the ball, and not many players have that ability. He will get better the more he plays in the Premier League."

Wolves went ahead when Van Damme connected with Kevin Doyle's cross to hammer home at the far post for his first goal for the club. Fulham searched for a route back into the match, Zamora going close with a free-kick from the edge of the box that fizzed over the bar. But that proved to be his final contribution after he suffered his serious ankle injury.

Fulham scored a deserved equaliser in the 49th minute when Démbéle kept his cool to slot past Marcus Hahnemann. It could have been worse for Wolves had the referee, Phil Dowd, awarded Fulham a clear penalty when Simon Davies was fouled by Hahnemann. Both sides had further chances, with Doyle heading wide for Wolves and Démbéle also shooting wide from distance. But the striker was on target again in stoppage time when he fired home from 25 yards following a well-worked set-piece after Berra had fouled Eddie Johnson to earn himself a second yellow card.

McCarthy had no complaints about the sending-off, but felt his side deserved a share of the points. He said: "We gave a silly free-kick away and the wall did not stand together. Berra had been booked and it looked like another foul to me, so I have no complaints.

"I am disappointed not to have got a point. When we got to the 90th minute, I thought we'd done it. We had defended well and had chances, but we could not see it off. I'm pleased with our start overall but we should have had a point."

Substitutes: Fulham: Gera for Zamora (30), Baird for Pantsil (46), Johnson for Dempsey (83). Wolves: Fletcher for Van Damme (46), Jones for Doyle (61), Guedioura for Ebanks-Blake (85).

Bookings: Fulham: Pantsil, Hangeland, Murphy. Wolves: Ward, Berra, Henry, Mancienne, Jarvis, Jones.

Sending-off: Wolves: Berra.

Attendance: 25,280

Referee: Phil Dowd

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premiership/fulham-beat-wolves-but-bobby-zamora-faces-long-layoff-14947028.html?#ixzz0zOEj3Pgy

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6372961,00.html?
Successful op for Zamora
Club reveal striker suffered ligament damage with broken leg

Fulham striker Bobby Zamora has undergone a successful operation on the broken leg he suffered in Saturday's 2-1 victory against Wolves.

The England international suffered a broken fibula when he fell awkwardly under Karl Henry's challenge during the game at Craven Cottage.

The 29-year-old was given oxygen on the pitch and was stretchered off before being taken to hospital and manager Mark Hughes admitted it could be at least January until Zamora is back in the fold.

However, news that ligament damage was also discovered during the operation could mean that the striker faces being ruled out for longer than the initial diagnosis of four months.

Zamora, who scored 19 goals for Fulham last season, only signed a new four-year contract last Friday.

A statement on the club'sofficial website on Sunday read: "This morning, Bobby Zamora underwent an operation on the injury sustained in Saturday's match against Wolverhampton Wanderers.

"The operation was viewed as successful by the surgeon and the fracture to the fibula was repaired, ligament damage was also discovered and repaired during the operation."

WhiteJC

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/10/09/12/SOCCER_Fulham_Hughes.html&TEAMHD=soccer
ONUS NOW ON DEMBELE, ADMITS HUGHES

Mark Hughes hopes Fulham match-winner Moussa Dembele will fill the void left by Bobby Zamora's injury-enforced absence.

Zamora has been ruled out for four months after sustaining the break just above his right ankle in the 2-1 victory over Wolves.

The 29-year-old England striker, who has undergone surgery, will face a longer lay-off if further damage to the ankle is discovered.

Fulham overcame his first-half departure to complete a last-gasp comeback victory sealed by Dembele's first Barclays Premier League goals.

The £5million summer signing from AZ Alkmaar has impressed since his arrival at Craven Cottage and now has a crucial role to play.

With Andy Johnson still several weeks from a first-team return following his battle with a knee injury and Zamora out for four months, Dembele has become a key player.

"We hope Moussa can get the goals - there's a big onus on him now that Bobby's gone," said Cottagers boss Hughes.

"But it's a big ask, you can't just hang a hat on Moussa. He'll get good support from the guys around him and that will help him become the success we think he will be.

"The beauty of Moussa is that he can play in a number of positions.

"That's the attraction from my point of view because I like players who have that flexibility."

Dembele fired the equaliser against Wolves with a well directed, if tame, shot and then blasted an injury-time free-kick through the wall for the winner.

Hughes was aware of the 23-year-old when he was Manchester City manager and reacted immediately when he learnt of his availability.

"Moussa is always very positive, everything he does has a positive slant on it. That's the key to the way he plays," he said.

"He can drive the game and is an intelligent footballer.

"I kept track of him because I've always been impressed with him.

"When it was flagged up that he was in the last year of his contract and likely to be sold, we moved quickly."

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1311387/Fulham-2-Wolves-1-Bobby-Zamora-hit-bad-tackle-despite-leg-break-insists-Karl-Henry.html?
Fulham 2 Wolves 1: Karl Henry won't take the rap as Bobby Zamora KO'd for six months

Karl Henry insists he did not intend to injure Fulham striker Bobby Zamora, whose right leg was broken in a tackle by the Wolves midfielder.

Zamora, who also has ligament damage, will be out for as long as five to six months despite a successful operation.
His right leg crumpled upon hitting the ground in Fulham's 2-1 win but no foul was awarded by referee Phil Dowd.

Henry said: 'I know Bobby, we have the same agent (Gary Porter) and we were away together with the England Under 21s. I would never go out to hurt anyone, let alone him.

'I just tried to win the ball and I could see he was in agony straight away and I called over the physio. I felt it was a fair tackle and I tried to win the ball. I am sorry that I have done any damage to him because that is the last thing I would have wanted.'

Television pictures showed Fulham forward Clint Dempsey pointing the finger of blame at Henry and the 27-year-old said other Fulham players were targeted throughout the match.

Henry said: 'It was disappointing. I was having a go at him (Dempsey) and he was having a go at me.

'I don't want to hear from another professional that I have gone out to "do" somebody. That wasn't the case.

'It was disappointing that a few of them were trying to have a go at me. I think they were fine with it until they realised how badly he was hurt, which was a load of rubbish because I didn't try to do anything deliberately. I would never try to do anything deliberately to hurt anybody.'

Wolves went ahead early on through Jelle van Damme, only to be beaten by two second-half goals from Moussa Dembele, the winner coming after 89 minutes.

Mick McCarthy's men were shown seven yellow cards - just as on August 28 in their 1-1 draw against Newcastle - and saw Christophe Berra sent off for a second bookable offence.

Fulham fans at Craven Cottage shouted that the visitors were a 'disgrace' to the Premier League and Henry is wary his side's burgeoning reputation could count against them.

'We felt maybe our cards were marked,' he said. 'We were getting booked for things and getting fouls for things we didn't think were fouls. Maybe we have to look at that and learn from it.

'I think it is because we are a smaller club. We don't spend the money that Fulham and the top clubs spend and we have to go at it a different way. We have to close these teams down. At no stage does the manager say go and kick lumps out of anybody and I don't think you have seen that today.

'Unfortunately, the thing with Bobby Zamora that has happened has made this situation worse. But it was a clearly good tackle and I am sure more will be made out of it than needs to be.'

Over to Moussa
Is new signing Moussa Dembele the man to score Fulham's goals this season?
Mark Hughes hopes so, with Bobby Zamora AND fellow striker Andrew Johnson out.

What does Dembele, who prefers midfield, think?
'Wherever the manager plays me I will do my best. I can play in that role though it's not my favourite.'

What's his scoring record like?
Well, he managed 10 goals when AZ Alkmaar won the Dutch League in 2009 and 24 in 118 appearances in four years at the club.

What did he cost?
Fulham pipped Birmingham City to pay £5million for a player who has 28 Belgium caps.
Hughes first spotted Dembele playing in Holland a few years ago when he was checking on another player.

What did Hughes like about him?
'He understands when he can drive the game and other times when he has to drop off and make a new position. He's an intelligent footballer.'

And his strengths?
Quick, strong, useful on the wing or in a more central position and possessing a sweet left foot, as Wolves found out twice on Saturday.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1311387/Fulham-2-Wolves-1-Bobby-Zamora-hit-bad-tackle-despite-leg-break-insists-Karl-Henry.html?#ixzz0zOGMvls8

WhiteJC

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/840721-bobby-zamora-injury-gives-moussa-dembele-a-big-chance-to-shine?
Bobby Zamora injury gives Moussa Dembele a big chance to shine
Mark Hughes hopes Fulham match-winner Moussa Dembele will fill the void left by Bobby Zamora's injury-enforced absence.

Zamora will be sidelined for at least four months after sustaining a break just above his right ankle in Saturday's 2-1 win over Wolves.

The 29-year-old striker yesterday had successful surgery with surgeons also working to repair damaged ligaments.

Fulham overcame his first-half exit, however, to complete a last-gasp comeback victory sealed by Belgium international Dembele's first Premier League goals.

The £5million summer signing from AZ Alkmaar has impressed since his arrival at Craven Cottage and now has a crucial role to play, especially with Andy Johnson still several weeks from a return from his knee injury.

'We hope Moussa can get the goals – there's a big onus on him now that Bobby's gone,' said Cottagers boss Hughes. 'But it's a big ask, you can't just hang a hat on Moussa.'

Dembele, though, has adapted quickly to English football, scoring his third Fulham goal against Wolves when cancelling out Jelle van Damme's opener and later he blasted an injury-time free-kick to earn all three points.

As well as his eye for goal, Hughes is impressed with Dembele's versatility.

'The beauty of Moussa is that he can play in a number of positions,' the Welshman added.

'That's the attraction from my point of view because I like players who have that flexibility.

'Everything he does has a positive slant on it. That's the key to the way he plays.'

WhiteJC

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/199208/Wolves-Karl-Henry-We-re-not-bullies?
WOLVES' KARL HENRY: WE'RE NOT BULLIES

WOLVES skipper Karl Henry is worried his side are being marked down as bullies and denied setting out to hurt Bobby Zamora, who suffered a broken leg.

That was the accusation levelled at Henry by some Fulham players after a sideways tackle that resulted in Zamora's surgery yesterday.

Zamora's strike partner, Clint Dempsey, was subsequently involved in a verbal spat with Henry that was picked up by TV cameras.

The seven yellows Wolves collected for a second consecutive game – Fulham got three – did little to dispel the fans' anger as they chanted, "You're a disgrace to the Premier League", or the impression Wolves are over-physical.

Henry said: "It was disappointing a few of them were trying to have a go at me. They were fine with it until they realised how badly hurt he was, which was a load of rubbish because I didn't try to do anything deliberately.

"I never would try to do anything deliberately to hurt anybody. I was having a go at Dempsey and he was having a go at me. I don't want to hear from another professional that I have gone out to 'do' somebody. That wasn't the case and is disappointing.

"It was a fair tackle and I tried to win the ball. I am sorry that I have done any damage to him because that is the last thing I would have wanted. I know Bobby and we have the same agent. We were away together with the England Under-21s.

"I would never go out to hurt anyone, let alone him. I have just tried to win the ball and I could see he was in agony straight away and called the physio."

Referee Phil Dowd, who later sent off Wolves defender Christophe Berra for two yellows, did not give a foul against Henry.

"After what happened last week – and that was well publicised with our match against Newcastle – we felt our cards were marked," said Henry. "We were getting booked for things we didn't think were fouls. A lot of our bookings were unjust. We don't want a reputation of being bullies. It is not the way we go out to play."

Manager Mick McCarthy defended Henry, saying: "It does concern me as it has been overly publicised that he is a nasty player, and that is not the case." The injury to Zamora overshadowed Mark Hughes' first league win as Fulham manager, which maintained his unbeaten start.

Zamora, 29, could be out for longer than Hughes' initial four-month assessment, maybe until mid-February, because ligament damage was discovered yesterday. Fulham said: "The operation was viewed as successful and the fracture to the fibula was repaired. Ligament damage was also discovered and repaired during the operation."

After Jelle van Damme fired the visitors into a 10th-minute lead, fellow Belgian Moussa Dembele turned things around with two left-foot strikes. And Hughes, who does not believe Wolves are a dirty side, looks to have a gem in his £5million signing from AZ Alkmaar.

Dembele, 23, said of Wolves' tactics: "They deserved the cards they got. It was a very physical game and there are some physical teams in this league.

"We looked better as the game went on. We have players who can play nice football, and we must do that. That is the best way to beat them."

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1311415/Graham-Poll-Stuart-Attwell-ready-ref-Premier-League.html?
'Ghost goal' ref Stuart Attwell is not ready for the Premier League

Stuart Attwell's performance at Arsenal showed again that he was promoted to the Premier League too soon.

This is not because he is only 29 - Michael Oliver is 25 and deserves to be there - it's because he is not yet good enough.

'Ghost goal' referee Attwell, who is now unwisely being pushed in Europe by his mentor David Elleray, may yet become a leading official but the jury is still out.

At the Emirates, he harshly sent off Bolton's Gary Cahill for a cautionable challenge on Marouane Chamakh just seconds after he and his assistant Phil Sharpe missed an obvious foul on Lee Chung-yong.

I wonder whether Attwell's over-reaction to the Cahill tackle was an attempt to respond to criticism of his handling of Wolves against Newcastle a fortnight ago.

He booked seven Wolves players but struggled to manage what was a difficult game. Phil Dowd showed seven more yellow cards to Wolves at Fulham on Saturday and was correct not to penalise Karl Henry for the challenge which broke Bobby Zamora's leg.

Henry slid in and took the ball; sadly Zamora's momentum caused his leg to become trapped. But Wolves were lucky that Dowd missed a clear penalty when Marcus Hahnemann brought Simon Davies down, and Mick McCarthy's team need to look at their discipline after 13 bookings in two games.

Sunderland manager Steve Bruce, meanwhile, had every reason to be furious with his hapless captain Lee Cattermole, who saw red for the second time this season.

The midfielder just doesn't seem to learn. After a routine first yellow he rounded on referee Andre Marriner and yelled, 'F**k off' at him.

Cattermole escaped action for that outburst but then wiped out Wigan's Hugo Rodallega and was dismissed after just 22 minutes.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1311415/Graham-Poll-Stuart-Attwell-ready-ref-Premier-League.html?#ixzz0zOIZYDYi

WhiteJC

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/sep/13/fulham-wolves-premier-league-bobby-zamora?
Fulham's Bobby Zamora eyes January return after successful surgery

Bobby Zamora underwent surgery on his broken right ankle yesterday, an operation that went successfully and which could mean the Fulham forward is back in action by January. Four months had been the guess of Mark Hughes, the Fulham manager, but, despite the surgeon also finding ligament damage, Hughes will hope to have the England international, the club's leading goalscorer last season with 19, back for the second half of the campaign.

Karl Henry was one of six Wolves players cautioned as the visitors tried in vain to cling on for a point, having taken the lead through Jelle van Damme, although his yellow card was not for the tackle that led to Zamora's exit. Hughes took issue with the challenge – from behind, if round the side – but Henry pleaded innocence.

The midfielder is gaining a bruising reputation, especially after his crusade against Joey Barton last month in the draw with Newcastle United. But here he had reasons to be careful. "I know Bobby, we have the same agent and we were away together with the England under-21s," Henry said. "I would never go out to hurt anyone, let alone him. I have just tried to win the ball. I could see he was in agony straightaway and I called over the physio. There was nothing from me that I tried to do him or anything like that which a few of their players were suggesting."

Zamora's right foot was caught between Henry's legs, after Henry had won the ball cleanly. Mick McCarthy, who heard the home fans calling his players "a disgrace to the Premiership" as the bookings stacked up, came to Henry's defence. "It has been overly publicised that he is a nasty player and that is not the case at all. He competes and they have to in midfield."

McCarthy, who had Christophe Berra sent off a minute from time for a second yellow card, feels his team are gaining an unjust image as spoilers. "We had one game, a really tough one [against Newcastle], and Match of the Day highlighted all of the challenges. There were similar challenges on our lads and it was a tough game. But TV drew attention and you guys write about it. It is media-led. I am not blaming you, it is the way that it is. Then we have the crowd singing that we are a disgrace, which is completely untrue."

With Zamora out and Andrew Johnson still a few weeks away from a possible return, Moussa Dembele guided Fulham's comeback with his first league goals since signing from AZ Alkmaar for £5m last month. The Belgium international, 23, toe-poked his first from the edge of the box after Stephen Kelly's cross but needed some luck with the winner.

Berra's foul, that led to his dismissal, gave Dembele a free-kick from 25 yards and, with the help of a deflection, his shot beat Marcus Hahnemann. But the club will still wait anxiously for Zamora's return.

Man of the match Moussa Dembele (Fulham)

WhiteJC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/7998888/Wolves-are-not-a-disgrace-to-Premiership-says-Mick-McCarthy-following-Fulham-defeat.html?
Wolves are not a 'disgrace to Premiership', says Mick McCarthy following Fulham defeat
Fulham 2 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1

Are Wolves a "disgrace to the Premiership" as Fulham supporters sang on Saturday? Or has Mick McCarthy simply built a side in his own image, which is hard but fair?

One incident in the 28th minute, which resulted in Bobby Zamora incurring a broken leg that is likely to keep the Fulham striker out of action until well into 2011, summed up the situation.

Zamora was running towards goal with the ball until Karl Henry tackled him, slightly from behind and from the side. Henry won the ball cleanly, but their legs became entangled and Zamora went down, his fibula fractured four centimetres above the ankle. The crowd bayed for Henry's blood but it was not until later that the Wolves captain became one of six players in gold shirts to be cautioned by referee Phil Dowd, who did not consider the challenge on Zamora to be worthy of a free-kick.

Fulham's fans sensed that Wolves were out to kick their side off the park, an accusation that had been levelled publicly at McCarthy's team after their draw with Newcastle two weeks ago.

They were further aggrieved that the referee waved away three penalty appeals, two of which were "stonewall" penalties according to Mark Hughes. But they may have felt justice was done in the closing minutes when Wolves defender, Christophe Berra, was sent off for a second yellow card, which resulted in the free-kick from which Moussa Dembele scored the winning goal, having earlier equalised the opening strike from Jelle van Damme.

McCarthy, though, was upset by the accusations against his team and the growing reputation as a 'dirty' side. "We had one game that was a real tough one, with Match of the Day highlighting all the challenges, that brought it to everyone's attention," said the Wolves manager.

"Then we get the crowd chanting 'disgrace to the Premiership' which is totally untrue. For the past two weeks we have spent all our time practising possession and passing."

Hughes was delighted with the result and the contribution of his new young striker, but devastated for Zamora, who underwent a successful operation on his fractured fibula and damaged ligaments yesterday.

"It's cruel as he'd got to a point where he was playing at a really high level," he said. "To be taken out for four months is a big disappointment."

Hughes did not criticise Henry and sympathised with McCarthy. "I don't think there was any intent to hurt Bobby and I lay no blame on the player, but sometimes legs can get trapped underneath each other and that is what happened.

"Sometimes people revert to type in the way they look at teams."

WhiteJC

http://www.imscouting.com/global-news-article/Fulham-may-renew-bid-to-land-Roma-goalkeeper-Alexander-Doni/10461/?
Fulham may renew bid to land Roma goalkeeper Doni

Fulham are considering renewing their bid to land Roma goalkeeper Doni , according to Italian sources.

The Brazilian was close to a summer move to the Cottagers but the deal broke down at the last moment.

The transfer would have paved the way for Mark Schwarzer 's departure for Arsenal.

Schwarzer is desperate to quit Fulham and is ready to sign a pre-contract agreement with another European club in January ahead of a move away when his deal is up next year.

And Fulham could again line up a move for 30-year-old Doni as a potential replacement for the want-away Australian.

WhiteJC

http://www.football.co.uk/fulham/dembele_must_fill_zamora_boots_-_hughes_rss1261652.shtml
Dembele must fill Zamora boots - Hughes

Zamora has been ruled out for four months after sustaining the break just above his right ankle in the 2-1 victory over Wolves on Saturday. The 29-year-old England striker, who was due to undergo surgery on Sunday, will face a longer lay-off if further damage to the ankle is discovered.

"We hope Moussa can get the goals - there's a big onus on him now that Bobby's gone," said Cottagers boss Hughes. "But it's a big ask, you can't just hang a hat on Moussa. He'll get good support from the guys around him and that will help him become the success we think he will be."

Fulham overcame his first-half departure to complete a last-gasp comeback victory sealed by Dembele's first Barclays Premier League goals.

The £5million summer signing from AZ Alkmaar has impressed since his arrival at Craven Cottage and now has a crucial role to play.

With Andy Johnson still several weeks from a first-team return following his battle with a knee injury and Zamora out for four months, Dembele has become a key player.

Hughes added: "The beauty of Moussa is that he can play in a number of positions. That's the attraction from my point of view because I like players who have that flexibility."

Dembele fired the equaliser against Wolves with a well directed, if tame, shot and then blasted an injury-time free-kick through the wall for the winner.

Hughes was aware of the 23-year-old when he was Manchester City manager and reacted immediately when he learnt of his availability.

"Moussa is always very positive, everything he does has a positive slant on it. That's the key to the way he plays," he said.

"He can drive the game and is an intelligent footballer. I kept track of him because I've always been impressed with him."

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2010/09/fulham-v-wolves-player-ratings/
Fulham v Wolves – Player Ratings
by LORK on SEPTEMBER 12, 2010

A game which leaves a bitter taste in the mouth thanks to Bobby's injury but a deserved win nonetheless as we dominated an average Wolves team in the second half and had 2 clear cut penalties ruled out. I hope we don't make a habit of waiting to the 90th minute to score though! Anyway, player ratings.

Schwarzer – 6, only made one save so didn't have much impact on the game at all. Seemed to punch quite alot which I thought wasn't always necessary, but to be fair to him his punches got good clearance on them and relieved pressure on the defence. Apart from that he wasn't tested at all, his distrubution was ok and he kept concentrated which is all you can ask for when you're a goalie in that situation. Decent return for him.

Kelly – 7, did really well defensively, infact I don't think Wolves created anything down his side. In the first half he kept a lively Jarvis very quiet and in the second half, when Jarvis switched sides after the suprising substitution of the impressive Van Damme, nullified the threat from at first Fletcher then Jones. He was also a willing runner going forward and made several good runs far into the Wolves half which weren't fully taken advantage of, and it was his cross that eventually led to our equaliser. His lack of left foot was noticable though, Kelly cut back inside almost every time he had the ball and only used it for a couple of poor crosses, although he did link passes up with the team well enough. Salcido. who didn't play because of visa issues, is, like Kelly, predominately right footed but also has confidence and ability with his left so I don't think this'll be a problem when he plays against Blackburn.  Other than that though I was impressed with him, assuring to know that he's our reserve fullback. Briggs was injured with a thigh problem, but seeing as Kelly started ahead of him at Blackpool I don't think that changed Hughes' ideal starting line up

Pantsil – 4, had a shocker before being substituted at half time. The goal once again was his fault, he let the ball run across his body which meant Van Damme behind him had a free shot from a tight angle, almost a replica of the goal Pizarro scored for Werder Bremen. All it needed was a simple clearance and maybe the own goal was still playing on his mind, but it wasn't made and that interrupted what was a really good start from us to the game, we didn't get going again until after half time. Other than that he made some really poor clearances, put a regulation backpass behind for a corner, completely mishit a cross when in a promising position, left Jarvis completely unmarked at a Wolves free kick, gave the ball away at the edge of our area and was lucky not to be sent off after tripping up Doyle who was clean through (and offside, but the lino on that side had a shocker all game). Did have a nice left footed shot and made a couple of neat interceptions but that was about it as far as positives go. He's carrying on his poor form after the international break which is worrying and Baird's, performance and actually Kelly's too will give Hughes a tough decision to make. People have speculated as to why he's started the season poorly, some say it's because the new attacking system exposes him more than under Roy but good players don't turn bad overnight so I think he deserves to stay in for Blackburn and Stoke at least. If he performs badly up there then it's time to think about his place in the team.

Hughes – 6, solid again. Doyle dominated him in the air similar to how Zamora dominated Evans when we played United but apart from that he was fairly comfortable, just the usual composed Hughes performance.

Hangeland – 7, impressed against a really good forward in Doyle. Won alot in the air and on the ground, and as per usual his distribution was good. He made some good interceptions with balls into the box and won a key header at the far post from the free kick I mentioned with Pantsil above, when there were two Wolves players attacking the ball. Played well.

Etuhu – 6, thought it was a bit of a so so game for him. I actually voted him as my player of the month and he did some good stuff but gave the ball away a fair bit. Defensively he did ok but we didn't see him make his regular bursts forwards so much in the first half although that changed completely in the second when in the last 10 minutes he basically played as a striker. He made a couple of neat passes but as I said he also made some stupid ones and his first touch let him down a couple of times. It would be nice to see him be more aggressive with his play and use his physical prescence more, especially when we're defending.

Murphy -7, completely controlled our midfield. I thought he had a good game yesterday but it took a re-watch on a recording for me to appreciate just how influential he was. He played one gorgeous ball to Davies to set him up but it wasn't that which impressed me but how he kept the ball moving. All in all he made 72 passes from 77 attempts which is impressive in itself before you take into account the pressure Wolves applied on him when he had the ball. He gave the ball away a couple of times in dangerous positions but his passing was very good otherwise. Also helped out with a couple of good tackles and even gave Wolves a piece of their own medicine at the end of the game when he barged unceremoniously in to Henry's back. He didn't even try and hide it!

Davies – 6, got involved alot in the game but missed two sitters, the first when he was one on one with the keeper (he was fouled which was missed by the ref, again, but that shouldn't have been a possibility, it should have been scored) and the second when Demebele played the ball into the box and Davies hit it wide. I think that wide left is a much better position for him than on the right because although he was allowed a pretty free role when on the right which is shown when he burst through the middle and got fouled through on goal which the refs missed, again, but on the left he has much more of the pitch to take advantage of his intelligent movement and passing. He's a good crosser of the ball but he doesn't have much pace to go around the outside of players which if you're right footed and you're playing on the right you need to do, and his left foot is quite poor so he can't come into the middle of the pitch comfortably enough. He's made a good start to the season though and doesn't show any sign of the injuries of last season which is positive.

Dembele – 8, class act, his balance, technique, movement, composure, acceleration, intelligence, looks like a very, very good player. I was suprised when he started on the left and Dempsey started behind Zamora because I actually think they're better in each others starting position. Dembele is a very accomplished passer of the ball and doesn't seem the type of person to go wide and get crosses in from the byline, and infact when he did go to an attacking midfield role he wondered out to the right hand side several times which allowed him to cut in on his stronger left foot, so from that alone he should be in the middle rather than the left. The first goal was struck nicely but it took a big deflection and the free kick was again nicely taken but I still don't have any idea what that Wolves wall was doing. It was in his creative build up play, running on the ball, which was at the heart of almost everything good we did. I also love how he's not afraid to get stuck in. Unlike most fair players he's fairly aggressive trying to win the ball and he works really hard. It's only 4 games though so he could fall away completely but from what it looks like we have a very good player on our hands.

Dempsey – 5, had a poor game. Started as an attacking midfielder when as I've just said he's better suited to left midfield. So many times he got tackled when on the ball in the middle of the pitch whereas on the left he'd get more space and like Davies on the left he'd have much more of the pitch to run with the ball into. Several times Dempsey tried to run and do too much but it petered out to nothing, if that didn't happen it was because he couldn't control the ball in the first place. I just don't think he can play with his back to goal. Mind you with Bobby out till January it looks as if he'll be playing upfront, at least until AJ gets back, and I think if he does that we as a team need to play differently and more through midfield rather than asking Dempsey to hold it up for us. What disappointed me most though was he didn't fight for the ball enough. He's good at drawing a foul (a very under rated skill) which he did a couple of times yesterday but a few times he just fell over. It makes me wonder if 2 years of solid football has taken it's toll, perhaps he needs a rest. Definately didn't suprise me when he went off though.

Zamora – 6, played okay before he was stretchered off. He held off challenges well from Craddock and Berra, won a couple of headers but picked up such an unfortunate injury from what was a pretty good tackle by Henry. All I can say is I hope he recovers soon but with the ligament damage found today it looks like he'll be out for well longer than the original 4 month guess.

Subs:

Gera – 6, passed the ball around well, played a lovely ball to Baird over the top and had a decent overhead kick at goal which went over (whilst having his shirt pulled by Mancienne who got a yellow in the first half for the same offence!). He had a decent game, coming on in difficult circumstances, and played on the right which is the same place he played against Arsenal, the game which I think turned around his Fulham career, although I didn't think he had too much impact on the game. Gera got the assist on Dembele's first too.

Baird – 6, came on at half time and was a definate improvement on Pantsil. Good in possession, positionally and in the air although we didn't see him get forward as much as Kelly apart from a rare burst into the box where his first touch let him down in a promising crossing position. His lack of pace was exposed couple of times by Jarvis who isn't a great footballer but has pace with some to spare, which included what eventually led to a free kick 2 yards from the area. From the resulting free kick Baird saved us with a clever goal line clearance off Doyle's header, and it was also Baird's quick thinking free kick which lead to our first goal. Solid performance from a player who has completely turned round his Fulham career, and it gives doubts over Pantsil's place for next week.

Eddie Johnson – 6, sent on with 10 minutes to go and actually did ok! The loan spell at Aris seems to have sharpened him up a fair bit and he got involved with play a couple of times. Won the free kick which lead to the red card and the winner, and wasted around 45 seconds by keeping the ball in the corner which was nice to see. He kept his passing simple and his pace will always unsettle defences so a decent enough sub by Hughes for the struggling Dempsey. Who knows, maybe Zamora's injury will be the making of Eddie Johnson.

WhiteJC

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~2151992,00.html?
Hughes: Dembele must step up

Zamora has been ruled out for at least four months after sustaining the break just above his right ankle and ligament damage in the 2-1 victory over Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday.

The England international suffered a broken fibula when he fell awkwardly under Karl Henry's challenge and underwent a successful operation on Sunday

A statement on the club's official website on Sunday read: "This morning, Bobby Zamora underwent an operation on the injury sustained in Saturday's match against Wolverhampton Wanderers.
"The operation was viewed as successful by the surgeon and the fracture to the fibula was repaired, ligament damage was also discovered and repaired during the operation."

KEY PLAYER

The £5m summer signing from AZ Alkmaar has impressed since his arrival at Craven Cottage and now has a crucial role to play.

"We hope Moussa can get the goals - there's a big onus on him now that Bobby's gone," said Cottagers manager Hughes. "But it's a big ask, you can't just hang a hat on Moussa. He'll get good support from the guys around him and that will help him become the success we think he will be."

Hughes added: "The beauty of Moussa is that he can play in a number of positions. That's the attraction from my point of view because I like players who have that flexibility."

"Moussa is always very positive, everything he does has a positive slant on it. That's the key to the way he plays," he said. "He can drive the game and is an intelligent footballer. I kept track of him because I've always been impressed with him."

WhiteJC

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/wolves-fc-news/2010/09/13/fulham-2-wolves-1-bill-howell-s-match-stats-and-player-ratings-97319-27257852/?
Fulham 2, Wolves 1: Bill Howell's match stats and player ratings

HAHNEMANN..................6

Got away with foul on Davies, which could have been a penalty, but not his fault with goals.

FOLEY.............................6

'Steady as he goes' will be his epitaph, nothing fancy, nothing daft.

CRADDOCK.....................7

Appeared to clip Davies in the box early on but thereafter rock solid.

BERRA............................6

Not his day. His deflection led to the equaliser then blocks on Dempsey and Johnson led to red.

WARD.............................5

Playing well within himself at present, as if Van Damme is stealing his thunder.

JARVIS............................7

Remarkable run from halfway line, Fulham kept a tight watch on this potential match-winner.

HENRY............................7

Took a while to recover from Zamora incident, where he was blameless, but tireless display.

MANCIENNE....................5

His third debut was a non-event, picked up a 'nothing' booking and thereafter didn't do enough.

MAN OF THE MATCH:★ VAN DAMME................7

He's here, he's there, he's every- bloomin'-where. Belgium can produce more than chocolatel.

DOYLE............................6

Saw a header cleared off the line and made the goal with quality clipped pass.

EBANKS-BLAKE...............6

Flashes of his old self (or should that read 'new-found' self) but not a lot went for him.

SUBSTITUTES:

Fletcher (for Van Damme, h/t): Woeful defending in the wall and offered little.........................................................5

Jones (for Doyle, 61): Lost his place and seems to have lost his spark...................5

Guedioura (for Ebanks-Blake, 85)

Not used: Hennessey, Elokobi, Stearman, Bent.

FULHAM (4-4-2): Schwarzer; Pantsil (Baird, h/t), Hughes, Hangeland, Kelly; Davies, Etuhu, Murphy, Dembele; Dempsey (E Johnson, 83) , Zamora (Gera, 30). Subs: Etheridge, Riise, Greening, Halliche.

SENDING OFF: Berra (90+1, two yellow cards) – Wolves.

BOOKINGS: Pantsil (foul, 42), Murphy (foul, 90+2), Hangeland (foul, 90+4) – Fulham. Mancienne (foul, 23), Ward (foul, 59), Jarvis (foul, 70), Berra (foul, 77), Henry (dissent, 78), Jones (foul, 85), Berra (foul, 90) – Wolves.

CROWD WATCH.................................6

Filthy atmosphere for the most part after opening goal and injury to Zamora. Attendance: 25,280.

REF WATCH.......................................5

P Dowd (Staffordshire): Appeared to cave in to the crowd by frittering cards like confetti.

THE MANAGER..................................6

Mick McCarthy perhaps made the wrong call by bringing on Fletcher instead of Guedioura.

GAME RATING...................................6

Good in parts. Awful in others.

INJURY WATCH

Jelle Van Damme limped off as did Kevin Doyle.

WhiteJC

http://www.newcastleunited-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/karl_henry_targets_barton_one_week__zamora_the_next_558054/index.shtml
Karl Henry Targets Barton One Week - Zamora The Next!
By Nu Mad

Wolves captain Karl Henry, having defended his side's "attack" on bad boy Joey Barton two weeks ago (when the Toon player was singled out for rough treatment from the Wolves players) ...
... Henry insists he did not mean to hurt Fulham striker Bobby Zamora on Saturday after the player underwent an operation over the weekend after sustaining a broken leg which is set to leave the forward out for at least four months.

Wolves picked up seven yellow cards, including Christophe Berra's two yellow cards, and Henry blames Joey Barton for the reputation Wolves have earned as thugs trying to kick their way through the Premiership.

Henry: "After what happened last week - and that was well publicised with our match against Newcastle - we felt our cards were marked.

"It was disappointing a few of them were trying to have a go at me.

"They were fine with it until they realised how badly hurt he was, which was a load of rubbish because I didn't try to do anything deliberately.

"I never would try to do anything deliberately to hurt anybody.

"I was having a go at Dempsey and he was having a go at me. I don't want to hear from another professional that I have gone out to 'do' somebody. That wasn't the case and is disappointing.

"It was a fair tackle and I tried to win the ball. I am sorry that I have done any damage to him because that is the last thing I would have wanted.

"I know Bobby and we have the same agent. We were away together with the England Under 21s.

"I would never go out to hurt anyone, let alone him. I have just tried to win the ball and I could see he was in agony straight away and called the physio."

Wolves picked up seven yellow cards, including Christophe Berra's two yellow cards, and Henry fears they are being targeted as an aggressive team.

"After what happened last week - and that was well publicised with our match against Newcastle - we felt our cards were marked," added Henry.

"We were getting booked for things we didn't think were fouls. A lot of our bookings were unjust. We don't want a reputation of being bullies. It is not the way we go out to play."

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/9/13/1685373/andy-johnson-expected-back-in-four?
Andy Johnson Expected Back In Four Weeks

With Bobby Zamora going down with a long term injury some good news regarding another Fulham striker was just revealed. According to the Fulham Chronicle, Andy Johnson is expected back in four weeks.

Johnson was out for the majority of the season last year. The story mentions that the 29 year old striker could be available for the Tottenham Hotspur match next month at Craven Cottage. This information on the time-frame is according to manager Mark Hughes who is also quoted in the Fulham Chronice post.

Below is the quote from Mark Hughes which comes from the Fulham Chronicle article.

Hughes said, 'Andy should be back in four weeks.'

As you can imagine this is great news regarding Johnson. When he was healthy he was a quality option up front for Fulham. I will be following the Johnson progress and will have updates on his situation.   

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/dembele-delighted-fulham-double-1112071?
Dembele delighted with Fulham double

Moussa Dembele was delighted with his brace for Fulham in their defeat of Wolves.

Dembele scored both of the Cottagers' goals on Saturday and reckons he and Clint Dempsey can provide the firepower while Bobby Zamora recovers from his broken leg.

Belgian Dembele said: "I played well with Clint and we seemed to have a good understanding. We divided the work between us, it worked well and I'm sure it would again."

Dembele was not due to take the injury-time free-kick that won the game and added: "Some of the guys said I should so I went for it. I'm glad I did."

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2010/09/gatesys-newsround/?
Gatesy's Newsround
by GATESY on SEPTEMBER 13, 2010

In what's becoming something of a habit for me, other than about twenty minutes of five live straight after the match, I caught absolutely no football results other than ours at all until this morning. So if like me you were busy being a social butterfly or you're some kind of hermit, I thought I'd be kind and give you the gift of a weekend roundup.

Many of the members of the press have picked up that we as a crowd weren't too keen on Wolves brand of football, many reproducing a selection of our songs aimed at the team and their gaffer. Many of us feared for Bobby when he went down, especially with the stretcher and oxygen being brought straight over to him. While reports are that he also suffered some ligament damage meaning his spell on the side lines could be extended by a few months, the Daily Star give us hope that he can't have been that bad as he was busy ordering some Krispy Kreams as he was carried out of the Cottage.

McCarthy didn't see much wrong with his tactics saying "We tackle properly and we're going to continue doing the same." However the 74 fouls they've committed in four games so far this season (averaging 19 a game stat fans), and in the last two matches they've managed to collect 12 yellow cards and a red card too. No, not much wrong there then Mick.

A gentleman behind me at the Cottage on Saturday said that the referee was so bad he'd consider throwing something at him. Somebody up at The City of Manchester Stadium went one better than considering it and did indeed wazz a bottle at Diouf (surely if there was one player you are allowed to throw things at without retribution he'd be right up there on the short list?) The Guardian certainly felt he may have, at least in some way, brought this on himself:

'El-Hadji Diouf, reverting to type, was bare-chested as he walked towards the tunnel, the last man on the pitch, waving to the home supporters, getting a kick from their disappointment ... a one-man cabaret. Feelings were running high and a plastic bottle was thrown from the Colin Bell Stand. Diouf smiled some more and started kissing his biceps, right then left, whooping with malicious pleasure.'

Over in the East London Slums West Ham are doing all they can to beat Wigan to that coveted bottom relegation spot with a whimpering defeat to Chelsea. Already on minus ten goal difference Bongo Dave is pinning his hopes on the club having a good October to get clear of trouble. Well, they're pretty much guaranteed the points off us as always I suppose... Looking back it's hard to see how any of us imagined, with Green in goal, we stood any chance at the World Cup. Even West Ham fans turning on him, and we all know that they are the self appointed best fans in the world...ever!! Perhaps Chelsea bagging another three points and their seventieth goal of the season may go some way to reassuring the BBCs Steve Claridge who mused 'I was not entirely convinced by Carlo Ancelotti at Chelsea last year.' Yeah, winning the double at your first attempt would leave you with some doubts...

A team you could file under 'The Club That Keeps on Giving' are Spurs. They achieve mediocre success, lose to a team called Young Boys, lose to Wigan, players getting injured left right and centre and then struggle to a draw at West Brom. I'm certainly looking forward to their European (mis)adventure this season.

Seemingly on a one team mission to make me look like a tool, Blackpool notched up another three points. Their 'keeper Gilkes having a blinder and starting calls for us Fabio to nick him from under the Scotch teams' noses.

Elsewhere Wigan, who beating is usually like taking pennies off of a dead mans eyes, took a point off of Sunderland, Everton left it late after Rooney bottled it and Bolton got beat by the Arse with the help of another cracking referee.

Konch made his debut for Roy's Liverpool as they scraped a draw against Brum. Roy seems to have caught the 'I'm at a big club so am perfectly allowed to contradict myself' syndrome many of the Big Four© gaffers possess. Talking about Mascerano bullying his way into a move "But it's a selfish situation when they want something and then expect the club and me to bow down and accept they're going to get their way."

Whereas, flash forward a few days, when Konch, who told Sparky he wouldn't be renewing his contract with us should we not let him move to the Scouse didn't see too much wrong with it, "he was in the last year of his contract and he made it clear that if they [Fulham] didn't let him go he wouldn't sign a new contract. That was useful for us because otherwise it would have been very difficult to get him"

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2010/09/tactical-variety-vs-wolves/?
Tactical Variety vs Wolves
by NICKW on SEPTEMBER 13, 2010

Something at the Fulham-Wolves game really sprang to my attention. In contrast to the disciplined 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1/4-2-3-1 that the team played under Hodgson, there was a fair deal of variety in the way the team lined up on Saturday. Watching the team's set up during goal-kicks is always a fairly good indicator (if not a perfect one) of the formation in which they are being set up by their manager.

The flexibility really derived from the versatility of the three D's – Davies, Dembele and Dempsey.

The game kicked off with a fairly basic 4-4-2, with Davies and Dembele on the wings, and Dempsey just off Bobby Zamora.

However, there was a variation that I hadn't seen a recent Fulham side use. Having seen the way Manchester City played under Mark Hughes (and continue to do so now), it certainly appears that this slight change has his mark all over it.

Whilst the back four remained the same way as it was, the midfield turned into a three. Murphy dropped slightly deeper as the pivot. Whilst Etuhu remained alongside him (although in a slightly more advanced position), Simon Davies moved inside and did the same. Now, Fulham had three central midfielders.

Bobby Zamora remained the sole man up front, but now had two men supporting him on either side – Dembele just off his to his left, Dempsey to the right. Perhaps surprisingly, however, they were not stationed out wide, but in rather central positions, trying to get into the gap between the Wolves defence and midfield.

The team were lining up as a 4-3-2-1.

The arguments for this slight change seem to be that Hughes wanted more bodies in the middle of the pitch. It came at a time when Fulham were being hacked to pieces, and rather losing out in the midfield battle. Hughes wanted to make up more competitive in the midfield, and play two of our most creative/threatening players in areas where they could do the most damage if they received the ball. Dembele has already spoken of how he feels he is developing "an understanding" with Dempsey – if this can work in advanced positions just off Zamora, it could be very dangerous. Play the ball up to Zamora, and he immediately has the trickery Dempsey and Dembele supporting him.

However, a repercussion of this change was that the full-backs suddenly had more on their plate. As well as having to offer width themselves, they now had to deal with the opposing wingers with less help than they had previously. Whilst Kelly dealt well with the pacey Jarvis, Pantsil was clearly struggling, and this did little to help his performance.

Pantsil's confidence levels are clearly low this season. Perhaps he's struggling now that Hodgson is no longer at the club. Maybe the talk that Hughes was looking to replace him and ship him off to West Brom has affected him. Or he's still shattered after the World Cup. Either way, he's looked poor this season, and this slight change in formation did little to help him.

The 4-3-2-1 was short-lived. Zamora went off injured soon after, and one full-back was struggling and lucky to stay on the pitch. Seeing the game through to half-time became essential, so Fulham reverted to the hard-to-break-down 4-4-1-1 that Hodgson instilled.

In the second half, the full-backs were instrumental in our improved performance. Kelly charged forwards and offered an outlet on the left hand side – not in the same league as Konchesky, but with Davies cutting inside, it provided some vital width after a narrow first half, and led to the equaliser.

Baird's introduction was always a key factor. Not only was he less error-prone than Pantsil (although Jarvis left him for dead at one stage), but his distribution was terrific, finding Gera, Murphy and Dembele with regularity. In addition, he provided an option on the overlap as Gera drove inwards with the ball.

Finally the addition of Eddie Johnson towards the end was a decent move. Dembele, Dempsey, Gera and (to an extent) Davies all like to play in similar positions. All, essentially, are attacking midfielders – none are out-and-out forwards. Johnson's introduction meant that the side now had someone up top at all time, and injected some pace to the side at the expense of the tricky but rather sluggish Dempsey. Dempsey was being targeted by the Wolves players (he was the most fouled player on the pitch), and his control was not at the levels he would perhaps set himself.

Johnson's introduction meant that the side had a pacey option up top, and a strong player who would work the channels. Whilst the Wolves centre-halfs were robust, neither had a good deal of pace – amply demonstrated by Berra's body check when Johnson played the ball past him, and his immediate dismissal. In addition, it meant that Dembele could work just behind a front-man, rather than be the most advanced player on the pitch. Now, the side had someone whose role was to be "the" forward man, rather than one who likes to drop off into space and clutter the midfield further.

As a result of Zamora's injury, adding to those of Andy Johnson and Diomansy Kamara, Eddie will find himself with quite a role to play for the rest of the season.

WhiteJC

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/wolves-fc-news/2010/09/13/fulham-2-wolves-1-bill-howell-s-big-match-verdict-97319-27257858/?
Fulham 2, Wolves 1: Bill Howell's big match verdict

MORE bookings than Bobby Davro and Kenny Lynch's double-act in a summer season on Blackpool Pier.

More cards than Brucie Forsyth – Higher! Lower!

More cautions than a serial shop front piddler.

Mick McCarthy's men are trotting merrily down a Yellow Brick Road.

They're not the messiahs, they're very naughty boys.

Daffodils, buttercups, budgerigars. The beer stain on an aged place mat. A song by Coldplay.

"Look at the stars, look how they shine for you and everything you do," warble, warble.

Yellow is the colour. Football is the game, we're all together and name taking is our aim.

So much yellow in their bloodstreams you'd think they'd got jaundice.

Seven more here to add to the seven noted by Stuart Attwell against Newcastle.

Ouch! Count those £25,000 Football Association fines.

And here, in much the same way as Attwell's incompetent management of the infamous Karl Henry versus Joey Barton scrap led to a merry free-for-all with cards dished out like confetti, Stoke's finest whistle-blower Phil Dowd appeared to cave in to a vocal and vociferous home following.

Alan Hansen, Alan Shearer and Gary Lineker have a lot to answer for. In highlighting seven tackles made by Wolves on Barton on Match of the Day they had implied Wanderers were, well, rather dirty.

So when Jody Craddock got away with a slide-tackle in the box that perhaps clipped Simon Davies, when Bobby Zamora broke his leg after a perfectly fine tackle by Henry, when Kevin Doyle got away with a shirt-tug on Brede Hangeland before chipping a perfect cross for Jelle Van Damme's opening goal all hell broke loose in the stands.

Grown men used very grown up language indeed and very schoolboy-like actions.

An Alex Higgins look-alike, complete with black Fedora and huge green gloves, was enjoying a rather heated debate with a balding bloke in his 50s at the front of the Grade II-listed Johnny Haynes Stand.

In between all the 'f' words there was a lot of pointing and it became clear that the pair were intending to settle their dispute outside.

All this in leafy Fulham. Leafy, plush, posh, luxurious, rich, costly, deluxe, elegant, lavish, luscious, lush, luxury, opulent, palatial, ritzy, silken, sumptuous Fulham by the Thames.

The sixth Baron Craven, who owned a cottage on what is now the centre circle and was surrounded by royal hunting grounds 200-odd years ago would not have been amused.

Dowd booked Michael Mancienne for what appeared a minor indiscretion indeed. Daring to look Danny Murphy between the eyes or some such misdemeanour.

Below, 'Alex Higgins' continued his tete-a-tete with the gentleman bearing a resemblance to Tube union leader Bob Crow.

To be fair to them the action had taken a lull. Fulham had started well, Clint Dempsey was running the show, but they'd fallen behind and Zamora's withdrawal had left them somewhat reeling.

But Diddy David Hamilton' ushered in a second half of changing fortunes. Van Damme was no more. Like namesake Jean-Claude he'd been all-action for 45 minutes but clearly picked up a knock.

With Steven Fletcher making a three-man forward line, initially, Wolves slept and allowed former Blues target Moussa Dembele to score with a weak shot that went in off Christophe Berra.

Zoltan Gera was by now becoming a chief tormentor, making just as much of mischief maker to Wolves as he did in his blue-and-white-striped shirt of old.

But Wolves were snaffling and snarling, they were chasing and harrying. They were pestering and bothering. A point looked secure.

It was too much for the Craven hordes who dubbed them a "disgrace to the Premier League".

It was too much for Dowd who busied himself by scribbling seven/elevenths of the Wolves team in his notebook, some admittedly legitimately like in Berra's dual case.

The pity for Wolves though is that the dye is now cast. They are the villains in this Premier League pantomime.

The irony that there hasn't been one bad tackle in their two recent league games.

The winner was horrid. Marcus Hahnemann's defensive wall parted rather like the Red Sea under command from Moses as he led the Israelites to safety from the pursuing Egyptians. Fletcher span into the air and turned his back. The ball didn't so much squeeze through a gap as put on its overcoat and drive its gleaming new Bentley through it. So defeat number one. A good start has become a solid one. Wolves have done okay so far, but haven't ever really left first gear, save for perhaps their second halves against Stoke and Everton.

A point or better is not beyond them against a Tottenham team beaten twice last season and heading for Europe in midweek. But they'll have to be allowed to tackle by the referee. And that's no forgone conclusion.

As for 'Alex Higgins' and 'Bob Crow'? Remarkably, they departed into Stevenage Road the best of friends. Football, eh?