watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Railway Pub in Putney closed

Started by _Putney_, September 14, 2017, 05:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Putney_

They said it was coming but now it's shut. Hopefully replaced by another pub, but we all know it will be pizza express.

mrmicawbers

Heard it was going to be a Revolution Pub.There is one in Clapham Junction by all accounts.

hovewhite

Shame Saturdays will gave to be golden lion or the rocket.

jarv

Why does nobody use the Dukes Head. Best beer in town (in England). Used to be my local many years ago. I do know it is a lot smaller now since they turned the river view room into a restaurant. Still good beer though.

The Equalizer

Quote from: jarv on September 14, 2017, 06:33:50 PM
Why does nobody use the Dukes Head. Best beer in town (in England). Used to be my local many years ago. I do know it is a lot smaller now since they turned the river view room into a restaurant. Still good beer though.

You should try the lager in there. 100% flat 100% of the time - and about £6 for the privilege. Classic Youngs pub syndrome: see The Boathouse, The Coat and Badge, The Old Spotted Horse (even after the refit) and The Queen Adelaide.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

The Equalizer

Quote from: _Putney_ on September 14, 2017, 05:30:22 PM
They said it was coming but now it's shut. Hopefully replaced by another pub, but we all know it will be pizza express.

The Railway is protected from redevelopment by Wandsworth Council. It has to be a pub by all accounts.

http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/news/article/13477/wandsworth_council_protects_120_pubs_from_redevelopment
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

_Putney_

Quote from: The Equalizer on September 15, 2017, 10:20:50 AM
Quote from: _Putney_ on September 14, 2017, 05:30:22 PM

The Railway is protected from redevelopment by Wandsworth Council. It has to be a pub by all accounts.

http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/news/article/13477/wandsworth_council_protects_120_pubs_from_redevelopment

Looks like the rumour about it being Revolution is accurate.  But... that's hardly a pub. Just a rubbish modern bar.

Mince n Tatties

In Newmarket we have lost several local pubs,ever since Wetherspoons came along...Hate the places,souless glorified restaurants, never frequent them.

gerrys

Yes was really put out about that, to put it mildly.......come over to England once in a blue moon arrange to meet friends there and drink real beer and they close it down......had to go to the Fox & Hounds as I was told the Rocket was rather over full....and they ran out of cask after my first pint!!!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on September 15, 2017, 11:10:54 AM
In Newmarket we have lost several local pubs,ever since Wetherspoons came along...Hate the places,souless glorified restaurants, never frequent them.

I agree with you, there are a couple near me in Ashtead, Surrey, one in Leatherhead and one in Epsom.
Not much atmosphere unfortunately, as well as the beer being close to the sell by date.
Hence the reason why it's a little cheaper.
They remind of the old Ale Houses at the turn of the Nineteenth Century.  🍺🏋️‍♀️💣
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

mrmicawbers

The revolution people were also trying to get permission to get the old night club in the basement reinstated. Anyone remember the old place?Had some great nights down there back in the day..

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: mrmicawbers on September 16, 2017, 08:02:30 AM
The revolution people were also trying to get permission to get the old night club in the basement reinstated. Anyone remember the old place?Had some great nights down there back in the day..

Yes when I had a flat in Putney, the Railway which was called Flanagans was my local. I remember the basement Disco in my Hippy days, late 60s early 70s, a few villains use to frequent the pub in those illustrious days. 
I have many memories of that basement, have I, blimey I have to keep them to myself, don't tell my wife or my girlfriend.
The manager was called Malcolm and he use to let me sleep on the cushioned seats round the edge of the Disco after a session and the cleaner use to wake me up in the morning, I literally lived there.
There was also a Disco Sunday evenings on the first floor, I think I ended up sleeping there or any of the adjoining rooms if I hadn't pulled.
I drunk so much there they offered me shares. But I am a good boy now.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.