watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Another loss with 70% possession

Started by The Rock, September 16, 2017, 05:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rock

Happened a lot last year and 1/2. I can not remember this happening to any club this much ever.

I wasn't there today, but I am assuming it was the same story? Bad decision making, 13 missed chances, not clinical enough, poor ref, and oh we would have won except Ream fell asleep and the ref called a soft penalty and Burton were really persistent and organized and hung on?

Let me know if I am wrong, but guessing this isn't far off.

F(f)CUK

You missed out the usual lots of shots but barely any on target. We have also hit the woodwork more times than we have scored.

Logicalman

90% of that 70% was in the bottom 2/3 rds of the pitch, with very little in the final third at all. Burton were happy to let us play with ourselves in our own half once they were ahead, but we didn't quite fathom that out.

Poor performance, possession might be 9/10ths of the law, but, as we have proven time and time again, it's got sweet FA to do with grinding out results on the pitch and that's down to the guv!
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Supermitch

I was there yesterday but have waited to pass any judgement, it is very easy to over re-act straight after a disappointing defeat.  We started very brightly and could have scored very early on but we didn't of course and the game settled down.  70% possession and only 2 shots on target was in my view the telling statistic.  A lot of passing and runs but the Burton defence were well organised and generally coped well.  When we did get a good opportunity either the ball was blazed high / wide or (in Ojo's case) rattled the bar when the chance should have been buried.

Having no recognised forward from the start was a bit strange in my view, indeed this game would have been ideal for Kamara who is a bit more physical and would have given the central defenders something to think about.  By the time Fonte was introduced the pattern of play had already been settled and he had no real chance to show his qualities.

I certainly prefer Sess to play further forward with Odoi in at left back.  The problem with that however is that we have 4 players for 1 position assuming Fonte / Kamara play up top.

The officials were very poor, the ref had a shocker and the linesman (ok - asst ref) on the main stand side was very poor.  I was in the seats behind him level with the penalty spot and he got quite a few decisions clearly wrong in both halves (for both sides it has to be said).  It was not however the referee and lino who failed to clear the ball properly (first goal) or miss chances when easier to score.

Burton as always a good trip and day out but one to forget for the 90 minutes.

hovewhite

Quote from: Supermitch on September 17, 2017, 04:51:11 PM
I was there yesterday but have waited to pass any judgement, it is very easy to over re-act straight after a disappointing defeat.  We started very brightly and could have scored very early on but we didn't of course and the game settled down.  70% possession and only 2 shots on target was in my view the telling statistic.  A lot of passing and runs but the Burton defence were well organised and generally coped well.  When we did get a good opportunity either the ball was blazed high / wide or (in Ojo's case) rattled the bar when the chance should have been buried.

Having no recognised forward from the start was a bit strange in my view, indeed this game would have been ideal for Kamara who is a bit more physical and would have given the central defenders something to think about.  By the time Fonte was introduced the pattern of play had already been settled and he had no real chance to show his qualities.

I certainly prefer Sess to play further forward with Odoi in at left back.  The problem with that however is that we have 4 players for 1 position assuming Fonte / Kamara play up top.

The officials were very poor, the ref had a shocker and the linesman (ok - asst ref) on the main stand side was very poor.  I was in the seats behind him level with the penalty spot and he got quite a few decisions clearly wrong in both halves (for both sides it has to be said).  It was not however the referee and lino who failed to clear the ball properly (first goal) or miss chances when easier to score.

Burton as always a good trip and day out but one to forget for the 90 minutes.

Agree 100% and have said in another post elsewhere,this game was made for AK,as for the linesman he had a job keeping up with play and giving dicisions when not in line with play and the last 15 minutes he stopped getting over the 18 yard line because of the stick he was getting.