watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (14/09/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 14, 2010, 07:39:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6376231,00.html?
Baird stays in Fulham nest
Defender signs new contract until 2013

Fulham have confirmed defender Chris Baird has signed a new deal at Craven Cottage.

As revealed by skysports.com earlier on Tuesday, Baird has agreed a new three-year deal to keep him in West London until 2013.

Baird joined Fulham from Southampton in the summer of 2007 and he has established himself as a key member of the squad.

Fulham were keen to keep the versatile Northern Ireland international as he has helped provide cover in defence and midfield for the Cottagers.

The news is a boost for Fulham boss Mark Hughes as he looks to secure the futures of a number of players who are coming to the end of their contracts.

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/f/fulham/8997731.stm?
Fulham defender Chris Baird signs new three-year deal

Fulham defender Chris Baird has signed a new contract that is set to keep him at the club until the summer of 2013.

The 28-year-old arrived from Southampton in July 2007 and was a key part of the Cottagers team that reached the Europa League final in May.

The Northern Ireland international made over 50 appearances during the 2009/10 season, playing both in defence and midfield domestically and in Europe.

Baird came on at half-time in Fulham's 2-1 victory over Wolves on Saturday.

WhiteJC

http://www.england.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=213174
England - Zamora adds to Defoe woe
England's preparations for next months Euro 2012 qualifier has been disrupted further by the injury to Bobby Zamora that is likely to keep him out action until the New Year.

Zamora joined fellow striker Jermain Defoe, who is out for up to 3-months, on the sidelines to leave Fabio Capello with an attacking selection headache...

The Fulham man has been unable to feature in any of England's qualifiers so far after making his debut as a sub against Hungary in a friendly in August.

Peter Crouch, Carlton Cole and Darren Bent a 'probably' going to be the ones fighting it out to determine who will play alongside Wayne Rooney.

Read more: http://www.england.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=213174#ixzz0zVCfePkR

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/roma-assure-fulham-doni-still-available-1115021?
Roma assure Fulham Doni still available

AS Roma goalkeeper Alexandre Doni's move to Fulham will depend on Mark Schwarzer's contract talks.

Doni saw his switch to Craven Cottage fall through on deadline day as Arsenal failed to meet Fulham's asking price for Schwarzer.

Cottagers boss Mark Hughes has since declared he hopes to secure the Australian to a new deal, though the experienced keeper is weighing up a Bosman move abroad.

Itasportpress.it says Roma have informed Fulham that Doni remains available for a January transfer to London.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/BairdOnNewDeal.aspx?
So Happy To Sign

After signing a new deal that will keep him at the Cottage until at least the summer of 2013, Chris Baird spoke of his delight at securing his future with Fulham Football Club on Tuesday afternoon.

"I'm chuffed to bits and really happy," Baird told fulhamfc.com. "I really enjoyed myself under Roy Hodgson and the new Manager, Mark Hughes, seems to like me. I like what he's [Hughes] doing and how things have started with the Team, so I'm really happy to sign a new contract."

Baird joined Fulham from Southampton during the summer of 2007 and showed true character to emerge from a testing first year at the Club to become one of the stars of last season's remarkable campaign, amassing 52 appearances.

"My first year at the Club wasn't the best," Baird explained. "But from there I got a run in the Team and played a lot of games. I wasn't playing in my favourite position when I first came into the side and I knew I wasn't playing too well. Hopefully the fans have warmed to me and that my good form continues."

Baird put in some exceptional performances last season and featured in Fulham's historic victories over Manchester United, FC Basel, Liverpool, CSKA Sofia, Shakhtar Donetsk and Juventus, not to mention a UEFA Europa League Final appearance. Following such a memorable 12 months, Baird is now looking to replicate that personal and collective success under Mark Hughes.

"Last season was by far the best season of my career," said Baird. "I was delighted with my performances, whether I was playing at right-back, centre-back or in midfield. I was just happy to be in the Team and getting a good run and that's what I'm looking for this season.

"Obviously Johnny Pantsil is the original right-back and he's been doing well there. It's going to be hard for me to get into the Team, whether it's at right-back, centre-half or in central midfield because everyone's fit and playing well. I'll have to bide my time and take my chance like I've done before.

"I'm looking for the same again and hopefully we can qualify for Europe or win a cup. We've had a good start in the League so we'll just see how things progress and take it from there."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/BairdOnNewDeal.aspx?#ixzz0zVXwwu2q

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/FFCDonation.aspx?
Full Support

On Tuesday Fulham Football Club became the latest Premier League team to back the Evening Standard's Dispossessed campaign.

Chairman Mohamed Al Fayed and the players donated £80,000 to the Dispossessed fund after being moved by the stories of poverty in London.

Mr Al Fayed said he was "proud" to be involved with the campaign and praised the footballers for deciding to join the fight against poverty in the capital.

"I am delighted that my players have contributed so generously to the Evening Standard's Dispossessed Fund," said Mr Al Fayed.

"At a time when footballers are receiving headlines for all the wrong reasons, it is fitting that the players at Fulham can create them for the right reasons.

"The Dispossessed Fund is an initiative that I am proud to be involved with because it directly benefits those less privileged and can have a positive impact on their lives. Fulham is a club with strong values, and the players' generosity is testament to this."

Fulham Captain Danny Murphy, told how he was "shocked" to read the Standard's stories of child poverty and said being able to donate money was "a great pleasure" for all the players.

He said: "I was shocked when I heard of how many children and their families live below the poverty line in London, a city that is always associated with wealth and glamour.

"I know how easy it can be to take for granted the privileges we as footballers become accustomed to. However many of us are from towns and cities that are far from wealthy and fully understand the issues that can arise from a life in a deprived area, so to be able to give something to the disadvantaged families of London is a great pleasure for us all."

Norwegian defender Brede Hangeland, who lives in Twickenham, called on Londoners to continue to support the campaign. "When you think of London, you think of a wealthy city," said Hangeland. "Reading about the poverty in London was a big surprise to us all and we really want to help.

"But more needs to be done and all Londoners need to get behind the campaign and do what they can. This is something all the players believe in."

Although Hammersmith and Fulham is considered to be one of the most affluent areas of the capital, it has pockets of extreme deprivation. It has the 16th-highest level of child poverty out of the 32 boroughs in London.

The players said they decided to contribute to the fund after they were told about the Dispossessed campaign by Mr Al Fayed.

Midfielder Simon Davies added: "When we were told about the Dispossessed Fund by the Chairman, we had no idea just how bad things had become in London for so many young people and their parents.

"Having to think about not being able to put food on the table, things that we simply take for granted, was a sobering experience."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/FFCDonation.aspx?#ixzz0zVoXngsQ

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6376419/Wolves-and-Henry-deserve-fair-treatment?
Wolves and Henry deserve fair treatment

Some are labelling Wolves as the Premier League's new bad boys, and Karl Henry the new devil incarnate - but TEAMtalk's Mark Holmes disagrees.

On Saturday, Wolves played their 42nd game back in the top-flight after successfully avoiding the drop last season.

Going into the 41st against Newcastle, there was no negative perception of them or their style of play - yet now, 180 minutes of football later, Wolves find themselves under heavy criticism, with their captain Karl Henry no longer labelled a footballer but a thug.

I was at Wolves' first game of the season, at home to Stoke, and saw Kenwyne Jones stretchered off after a hefty challenge from Jody Craddock. I was initially upset about the tackle, but Craddock did win the ball and was absolved of blame by Tony Pulis.

The next weekend, Wolves went to Everton and drew 1-1 thanks to an equaliser which saw Adlene Guedioura poleaxe John Heitinga in the build-up to Sylvan Ebanks-Blake's strike. David Moyes refused to criticise Guedioura for his challenge but there were some murmurs of discontent from the Everton fans, who felt Wolves adopted spoiling tactics at Goodison.

Still, there was no overall negative perception of Mick McCarthy's side going into their third game, at home to Newcastle.

Wolves were outmuscled and outplayed in the early stages of that game but eventually they began to match the Magpies in the tackle and played their part in what was an old-fashioned 'blood-and-thunder' affair.

Neither side shirked the battle but one player that came in for particular heavy treatment was Joey Barton, who was clearly targeted by Wolves as a player they needed to stop.

Newcastle boss Chris Hughton described the treatment of Barton as "part and parcel of the game", but the turning point in how Wolves are viewed came later that evening when Match of the Day decided to show a montage of Henry's challenges on Barton.

And from that moment on, thousands of football fans that saw only those highlights and not the full game were quick to flood the TEAMtalk Your Say pages in apoplectic rage. They claimed that Wolves were now a bona fide team of cloggers, with Henry - harshly sent off against Arsenal last season - the leader of their snarling pack.

Henry made a staunch defence of his style in the build-up to the fourth game of the season at Fulham but disaster struck at Craven Cottage as Bobby Zamora broke his leg following a tackle from the Wolves skipper.

I was watching the game live at TEAMtalk Towers and realised instantly that Henry was not to blame, but we were soon receiving Your Say messages claiming it was 'no surprise' Henry and Wolves were involved in this sort of incident.

I doubt there would have been the same reaction had an Arsenal, West Ham or in fact Fulham player caused such an injury, but Wolves fans will have quickly realised in the last week that it is hard to shift a tag once you have been handed it.

It was not all that long ago that Wimbledon were revered by the press for the way they went about beating the big boys, but Bolton, Blackburn, Stoke and now Wolves are football's equivalent of a mouthy Northerner turning up at a Kensington party, baring their backside and vomiting in the corner.

The Black Country outfit will soon find themselves as popular as haemorrhoids in Fleet Street and unfortunately that small group of journalists are able to influence the opinions of millions.

I just hope for Wolves and Henry's sake they are given a fair crack of the whip. Mark Hughes certainly helped matters, by following Hughton's lead in labelling Wolves' approach "part and parcel" of the game, but there are actually very few managers or players that have a problem with the way Wolves and the other 'naughty Northerners' play.

That is why supporters of other clubs must listen to the words of Pulis, Moyes, Hughton and Hughes and ignore the ramblings of those with an agenda or wanting to sensationalise.

In fairness, Wolves were pretty cynical at Craven Cottage and there was certainly an evidence of 'anti-football' in that they were happy to give away fouls in midfield to stop Fulham in their tracks.

That clearly frustrated the home supporters and understandably so but, like it or not, it has always been a part of the game and something that all the top clubs do.

Darren Fletcher was accused of it last season and in Nemanja Vidic and John Terry, you have two of the league's most cynical defenders. I sincerely hope nobody with a spoiler in their team would be hypocritical enough to lambast Wolves for what they did at Fulham.

The Black Country outfit are physical and fully committed and their manager is clearly canny enough to know when to bring out the less glamorous tactics. However, rather than criticise McCarthy, we should applaud him for the fine job he did last season and welcome another side in the Premier League that will bring competiveness and not roll over against the big sides.

As for Henry, I urge you to ignore the nonsense about him being a 'thug'. He is a player that typifies the attitude of Wolves but is certainly not malicious. He is in no way deserving of the criticism that has come his way in the last few weeks.

Neither he nor Wolves will change their style, and I fear for the day their commitment and physicality is outlawed in the Premier League.

WhiteJC

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/1123/7/fulham-keep-kamara-after-zamora-injury?
Fulham to keep Kamara after Zamora injury

Fulham are set to resist any attempts to take Diomansy Kamara on loan following Bobby Zamora's horrific leg injury.

A number of clubs were thought to be keen on offering Kamara first-team football, with the Senegalese star struggling to become a Craven Cottage regular.

But after Zamora was ruled out for a minimum of four months after breaking his leg in Saturday's 2-1 win over Wolves, Kamara is set to be given a second chance.

The former West Brom star spent four months on loan at Celtic last season.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=213233
Fulham - Johnson Returns!
With Bobby Zamora sidelined until the New Year, at the earliest, courtesy of a broken leg, it`s great to hear that long term injury victim, Andrew Johnson, could soon be returning to the first team squad.

Johnson, who has had a wretched run of injuries, is rumoured to be looking at a comeback next month and supporters will be delighted that our £10.5 million signing has been nurturing himself back to fitness without losing any of the traits that saw Fulham pay-out such a large amount.

Having only played 13 times last season, the most memorable in our history, Johnson will be looking for a better return this time out and speaking about his ordeal has commented,

"Worst year of my life."

"I`ve done everything I can to make sure I haven`t lost any speed."

"If it`s the end of September, October, or whenever. I can see the light now."

Fingers crossed that all goes well as Johnson nears the end of his rehabilitation from his shoulder and groin injuries, we could certainly do with his striking talents with Zamora sidelined now as well!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=213233#ixzz0zWKUw0r3