more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (23/09/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 23, 2017, 07:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fun Day in Bishops Park

Join us this Saturday in Bishop's Park before Fulham take on Middlesbrough for our Fun Day, with a number of free activities taking place for both adults and juniors to enjoy.

An event for all the Family, our Fun Day begins from 11:45am and includes inflatable activities, a chance to meet Billy the Badger, face painting, our talented balloon modeller and activities led by the Fulham Foundation!

Supporters will also be in with a chance of winning some fantastic prizes courtesy adidas, as well as have the opportunity to try out the new 2018 Pro Evolution Soccer video game.
With food and drink also available to purchase, be sure to join us for an afternoon of fun.

Tickets for Fulham's match against Middlesbrough are still available to purchase online from £15 for juniors and £35 for adults.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/september/22/fun-day-in-bishops-park

WhiteJC

Steve Sidwell shares another bizarre tale from Felix Magath's time as Fulham manager

Sadly, Felix Magath's time as manager of Fulham didn't work out too well for the club and its supporters.

Appointed in February 2014, the German could do little to prevent their relegation from the Premier League three months later. Allowed to stay on in the hope he could take the west London club straight back up again, he was dismissed after losing the first four games of the next season.

Since then, we've gained a sense that Magath's unorthodox methods weren't all that well received by some of the players he had in his squad at Craven Cottage.

Take Brede Hangeland, for example. In the past, the former defender has described Magath as "an awful human-being", and shared one or two stories of their time together at Fulham - most notably the most bizarre remedy for a dead leg ever known to man...

Another player on the payroll at Fulham at that time was Steve Sidwell, who shared another couple of Magath-related tales while on 5live Sport. Beginning with his former manager's insistence that his players met for a pint on the eve of every away game, Sidwell gets round to telling the story of how he once reacted to a particularly poor performance on the road (this can be viewed in the video that follows).

Magath, angry at his players' lack of effort in the game, ordered them into training on what had been scheduled to be a day off and asked them to get into position on the training field in the formation in which they had began the game the day before.

Sidwell recalls: "He said: "Right, you didn't want to run around yesterday, we're not going to run around today." He blew the whistle and everyone stands still.

"It was a cold day, there was a couple of lads with gloves on - they were off straight away. There were leaves blowing across the pitch... You couldn't make eye contact with anyone, you just had to stand there. I think we were there for about 40 minutes."

It's a wonder Magath's stint as manager didn't last longer than nine months...

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/steve-sidwell-shares-another-bizarre-tale-from-felix-magaths-time-as-fulham-manager-142745

WhiteJC

Rufus Brevett FOF'erview

In this FOF'erview Dannyboi speaks to the one and only Rufus Brevett. 2 promotions, the Intertoto Cup and playing in the Premier League. It's a fantastic Fulham career and one of the many reasons RUUUFUUUUS was so popular.

Dannyboi Hi Rufus. Thanks for agreeing to speak to us, its an honour for me personally as your team gave me the best memories so far as a supporter and that Tigana side remains my favourite team.  I suppose I'll start off by telling you what a legend you are and that you're very popular with supporters. How did you feel about your relationship with the fans?

Rufus Right from the minute I signed the fulham fans have been amazing with me, the chants of Ruuufffuuusss use to make me give everything for them and the club, great fans who deserve to be back in the premiership.

Dannyboi I've met you a few times, most recently at the Cottage. I saw you and Barry Hayles in McBride's last game of last season against Bolton. All the supporters were queuing up for a photo with Tunnicliffe and I tapped you on the shoulder and said "sod him, I want a picture with the legends lol". I don't suppose you remember, you must get this a lot?

Rufus Yes I remember, it's always nice to be appreciated from the fans for my time there.

Dannyboi You played for Doncaster, QPR, Fulham and West Ham amongst others. What club do you class as home?

Rufus I loved my time at Doncaster Rovers. Its where it all started for me. But QPR and Fulham I class as home (even though I'm not a Londoner!).

Dannyboi Lets talk about how you started out for a second. Who was your role model in football growing up?

Rufus I loved watching Kenny Sansom and Stuart Pearce, I replaced Kenny at QPR which was very strange.

Dannyboi Did you always set out to be a left back?

Rufus I started playing as a striker then moved to left midfield. When I got released by my home club team Derby County, Doncaster Rovers needed a left back and the first time I played left back was for Doncaster on trial, I signed the next day and was in the first team 3 months later!

Dannyboi How did you become a footballer?

Rufus Being a footballer is always what I wanted to do, when I got released from Derby I was determined to proved them wrong, I did that when I signed for Fulham. Arthur Cox, who released me at Derby was now the Director of Football at Fulham, and said to me "I knew you'd make it". I didn't reply!

Dannyboi Looking back at your career, when it became clear that you were not going to get an opportunity to play for England, were there any other countries you were eligible for and do you look at it as a missed opportunity that you never played international football? Barry Hayles played for Jamaica for example, and Matthew Briggs has a cap for Guyana!!!!

Rufus I had a chance to play for Jamaica but there was a lot of unrest in their squad with all the English jumping on the band wagon so I decided not to. I regret that decision...

Dannyboi What made you choose Fulham? Was it the fact it was a straight forward move from QPR, Kevin Keegan or a different reason?

Rufus I never wanted to leave QPR but I was told if I didn't leave I would be stuck in the reserves. Kevin Keegan sold it brilliantly and all what he said came true. In a phone call to me he said "this is Kevin Keegan, we are the big club around the corner from your little club", I laughed because QPR were a division higher, and he said you won't be laughing in a couple years! He was true to his word!

Dannyboi Was it weird playing under Bracewell after just being promoted with him as your team mate?

Rufus Brace is a great guy and a proper football man, we all wanted him to succeed and he tried is best.

Dannyboi What was the reaction of the squad when Tigana arrived and did he have all the players teeth checked? I bet that was a first lol?!

Rufus We all knew what a world class player he was and there were rumors going round that he would bring all his own players in. I had been out for 6 months when he came in and only just started pre season, he set out how he wanted us to play from Day One. I ended up getting a gold tooth!!

Dannyboi A game that's often spoken of is the famous win over Blackburn with Seany Davis popping up with the winner. "IN YOUR FACE SOUNESS!!!" Sorry, got a bit carried away there lol. Obviously this game was a mixed bag for you as you were sent off in the first half. I know how I felt during the game and then afterwards. What was going through your mind in the changing room and how did you react to that goal?

Rufus That was one of the most satisfying wins of my career , a lot said before the game from Souness how they were the best team in the league and right from the start they tried to rough us up. I stupidly got sent off and I just thought I'd let everyone down. When Sean scored it was an amazing feeling. Even the usually-quiet Tigana showed some emotion running down the touchline! He just said to me to learn from it. We stayed up north and clinched promotion on the Saturday

Dannyboi It was a special occasion at Old Trafford for the first premier league game. Was this the first time you'd played there and can you describe how it felt? I was there and I remember feeling the whole occasion was surreal, like a dream. But the team didn't seem overawed by the occasion, if anything we looked the better team for most parts.

Rufus I was suspended for that game, there was no pressure on us and we were magnificent on the day.

Dannyboi Where's your medal for winning the Intertoto Cup? It's always a trophy that is the butt of most jokes and of course we have the song "we won it one time". But deep down I think Fulham Fans are proud we won it, I certainly am. It's just a shame we won it "over there" rather than at the home of football – the Cottage. Where does it sit in a list of your proudest career achievements?

Rufus It will be in a drawer somewhere, it's a very proud moment lifting the tiny cup, it was a great experience playing teams in Europe. I captained the team so I was thrilled .

Dannyboi How many of your Fulham team mates would make up the best eleven you've ever played with throughout your career?

Rufus

Maik Taylor

Me
Melville
Coleman
Finnan

Boa
Collins
Davis
Goldbaek

Les Ferdinand
Saha

Subs
Van Der Sar
Goma
Lee Clark
Di Canio
Hayles

Dannyboi What was Al Fayed like?

Rufus Al Fayed was brilliant, who else would bring Micheal Jackson to a championship match??

Dannyboi The promotion under Keegan was also special but it gets forgotten a bit, overshadowed if you like by the Tigana promotion. Yet both teams achieved 101 points. Do you prefer one to the other looking back or are you equally proud of both?

Rufus Both were great achievements, and both teams played without fear. I think Tiganas team kept the ball more than the other team who would get tired trying to chase the ball, then gaps would open and we'd be 3 or 4 up.

Dannyboi This is a tough one. Who's got a bigger mouth, Clinton Morrison or his mother?

Rufus For the record his mum never had a go at me, Clinton had all the mouth on the pitch but couldn't back it up off the pitch! He started trying to talk Jamaican to me so I politely reminded him that he was actually Irish 😂😂😂

Dannyboi Who was your room mate when staying in hotels?

Rufus Wayne Collins was my roomie.

Dannyboi Who were you closest to in the team?

Rufus We all got on with a great team spirit. Collins, Coleman & Finnan if I had to pick.

Dannyboi Do you keep in touch with anyone?

Rufus A few via twitter.

Dannyboi During your time at FFC who was the best player that you played with?

Rufus Best player played with has to be Van Der Sar or Saha.

Dannyboi You played for Keegan, Bracewell and Tigana. What were the differences between the 3 of them?

Rufus Tigana was a great coach and had a "total football" approach. Keegan was a great motivator. Bracewell was very organized.

Dannyboi Do you remember either of your two Fulham goals (one was a winner v Stoke in a league match, the other was an equaliser v Rochdale in the league cup).

Rufus Stoke was a 1-2 with Bracewell and a finish from a tight angle. Rochdale was on 9/11, we got to the hotel and saw the pictures on the TV, just awful. We were losing the game and I gambled on a flick on and shot from inside the box, my celebration was taking my shirt off only because that's what their player did when they scored! Very embarrassing.

Dannyboi When you joined West Ham it was a bit sudden. Was there any particular reason why you left?

Rufus Because Tigana told me he was leaving, if I knew Coleman was going to be the manager I would've stayed.

Dannyboi You're back in management now with Hanworth Villa. How did that opportunity come about and how do you feel about the upcoming season? Have you clashed with the stats guy over transfers yet??

Rufus We have a good bunch of players, finished third last season so hopefully we can build on that.

Dannyboi And finally, it's a Friends of Fulham tradition to ask........pie or pasty (which filling)

Rufus Pie, steak and kidney please .

Dannyboi Thanks again Rufus for giving us so much of your time and effort. We really appreciate it. On behalf of Fulham fans everywhere, thank you for some very special times and I wish you the best of luck with Hanworth Villa.

Rufus Thank you.

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=68

WhiteJC

Fulham focus: Praised & tipped so why the struggle - and will Middlesbrough face backlash?

Dominic Shaw takes a closer look at Fulham in a match preview of this afternoon's game at Craven Cottage

Praise tends to follow Fulham around the Championship.

Ahead of today's, Boro boss Garry Monk described the west Londoners as the best team he came up against in the Championship last season.

Fulham won't blush at the acclaim and admiration, for they must be used to it by now.

Earlier this week in an interview on talkSPORT, Cardiff boss Neil Warnock said he sticks by the the six teams that he thought would be in the promotion mix before a ball was kicked. Boro were in there, so too Saturday's opponents, for whom he reserved special praise.

"Nobody else plays like Fulham," he said, "Fulham will have a good run at some stage."

Warnock, like Monk, had also described the Cottagers as the best team his Cardiff side played last season.

But the kind words aren't simply reserved for the way Jokanovic had Fulham playing last term.

After Fulham had brought Ipswich's winning start to a shuddering halt at Portman Road in August - enjoying 70% of possession in the process - Mick McCarthy strolled into his press conference, paused, took a slurp of his hot drink and said: "Call the police...there's just been a murder on the pitch.

He added: "Fulham are tops. They've spent a few quid and they've got some good players. I missed Slavisa (Jokanovic) afterwards, which is a shame because I like him. They've done both sides of the game today – it's one thing all the nice football, but they also did the pressing and the tackling and the work rate. I've no doubt they will be promotion contenders again. Today shows how far removed we are from them."

Slavisa Jokanovic

McCarthy used Fulham as a benchmark for what's required to challenge at the top, yet despite his rich praise for the London side, his Ipswich team are currently five points better off having played a game less.

Indeed, Fulham have won just two of their eight games so far, languish in the bottom half and have exactly the same record - and goal difference - as Aston Villa. Consider that Steve Bruce is a man under pressure after a below-par start and you can understand the feeling in this area of London that Fulham need to find their feet rather quickly.

Then again, they don't have to look far for proof of how a slow-ish start doesn't always mark the end of play-off and promotion hopes.

On October 1 last year, Fulham lost at home to QPR - a defeat which left them in the bottom half of the table and eight points behind the leaders.

However, the gap between themselves and top spot is seven points now and they've played three games fewer.

Their odds have inevitably tumbled but at 7/2 favourites to win promotion and 14/1 to win the title, they've hardly been written out of the race.

They need to find some consistency, though, and quickly, for they're yet to string two victories together on the bounce.

They looked to be finding their feet with a three game unbeaten run but then lost to Burton Albion, a result Tomas Kalas described as "kind of embarrassing".

So what's the reason for their slumberous start?

Well there are two obvious answers: the first being the absence of Tom Cairney, the midfield man who makes the side tick but has been missing through injury. The sooner they get him back, the better.

The second is goals. Last season no side managed to hit the net on more occasions than Fulham; so far this year no team from 17th up-over has scored fewer than the eight served up by the Cottagers.

Yet they're creating chances. Against Burton last time out they managed 15 shots on goal! The problem being, only two of them were on target.

So are Boro to expect somewhat of a backlash this afternoon?

"We will look to create many chances and must put the ball in the net," said Jokanovic, previewing the game.

"I expect we will show quality and be more lucky. I always believe we will win the next game. We must be confident, brave and solid.

"Boro are favourites at this moment. It's one of the toughest games in the Championship and we'll be motivated."

It has the makings of a fascinating game that's pleasing on the eye for those in attendance. Not only does it see two of the two most fancied teams in the league go at it, it involves two teams who try to play the game - perhaps slightly rare in a league in which organisation is such a prized quality.

In an interview with the East Anglian Daily Times this week, Ipswich striker David McGoldrick name-checked both Boro and Fulham as he made a case for the Tractor Boys lasting the pace.

"Why can't we stay up there? Every year we all say 'the Championship is harder' and talk about this team and that team, but I don't think there is a stand out team to be scared of," he said.

"Middlesbrough have spent big money, but there's not a team like Newcastle last year where you thought they could blow anyone away and really run away with the league.

"In the Championship anyone can beat anyone. We got proper beaten by Fulham, they were really good on the day, then they go to Burton and lose 2-1. The league is crazy."

Which Fulham side will Boro come up against this afternoon?

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-focus-praised--tipped-13660217

WhiteJC

Summer signing will be in Fulham squad for Middlesbrough clash after being axed for Burton Albion defeat

Aboubakar Kamara was not in the Whites squad for the game away at Burton Albion on Saturday

Aboubakar Kamara has played a part in all but one of Fulham's Championship games this season.

The anomaly was last weekend's clash with Burton Albion, which the Whites lost 2-1.

The summer signing from Amiens was nowhere to be seen, not a part of the Fulham 18 for the clash, and manager Slavisa Jokanovic has admitted that was a tactical decision.

The Fulham boss also revealed that Kamara would be part of the squad to face Middlesbrough today.

Jokanovic said: "I always choose what I believe is best for my team, I thought for this game behind us, I didn't see him as a player that could help me against Burton and I made a different choice.

"All the players need time to adapt and understand what we're going to do on the pitch. The language, trying to understand what we expect of them, for this game in front of us he'll be part of the squad and if I need him I can use him.

"We signed him for four years and at the beginning of this season I choose different players, it's simple because I do what I believe is the best option for the team."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/summer-signing-fulham-squad-middlesbrough-13662191

WhiteJC

Three Players to Watch: Matchday 9 vs. Middlesbrough
After a miserable loss to Burton, Fulham will have to better these three players from the fellow promotion favorites

Let's be blunt about this. Last Saturday's 2-1 loss to Burton was a difficult one to swallow. Yes, the refereeing was awful and it seems like that has been a disaster throughout almost the entirety of the season for Fulham. But with eight games in, the numbers are beginning to take shape and it is not pretty at all for Fulham.

Let's start by stating that this club's targeted goal ever since the season started has been playoffs or bust and this is assuming worst case scenario. Welp, we're in worst case scenario territory right now. Rui Fonte is expected to return for today's game at Craven Cottage, but if rumors hold true, it is looking like Tom Cairney might need another month to recover from his injury.

While the defense and David Button's goalkeeping have come leaps and bounds last season, their attack has no where near been as prolific. In Slavisa Jokanovic's first season, Fulham generated a league leading 1.71 expected goals per game and averaged 0.110 expected goals per shot. This year, that total has dwindled to a mediocre 1.20 expected goals per game and 0.091 expected goals per shot. Even when you take away the Reading game where Fulham played with ten men for almost 90 minutes, that efficiency only improves to the tune of 1.31 expected goals per game and 0.092 expected goals per shot.

It's one thing to underachieve this poorly against stiff competition. After all, Fulham have faced three teams that are in the current top six and five within the top half of the table. But consider that five of their next six games are also within the top twelve of the Championship table. Teams and seasons change within the course of every week, so Fulham's excuses are running out.

Middlesbrough know what it's like to deal with such pressure. This is now their fourth season in which they are either near or at Premier League level. The majority of the squad has been retained from those campaigns and they have replaced any that have been lost with quality players from the Championship.

Middlesbrough may be seventh in the table, but their +5 goal differential in their eight games is only bettered by Preston North End and Leeds United. If Fulham are to get three points at home, they will have to overcome these three players to make it happen.

Britt Assombolanga

There is no denying who is the most lethal goal scorer for not just Middlesbrough, but also for the possibly the entire Championship. At 24, Assombolonga came from Nottingham Forest for £15 million and is already proving to be worth every penny to the club. Even with missing fourteen months of football due to a serious knee injury he picked up in 2015, his goal scoring record has been an incredible 0.56 goals per 90 minutes in the past four seasons.

Beyond being an above average passer, the Congolese central forward does not do much in terms of being involved in the run of play. That being said, name any goal poacher in world football and it will be difficult to find their statistical profiles deviate from Assombolanga's. Still, his 2.57 shots per 90 minutes this campaign can get better, but it's uncertain if that is due to the lack of creativity coming from the rest of the team.

No other Boro player has scored more than one goal and the team as a whole only average 11.6 shots and 9.1 key passes per 90 minutes. Not a single one of those numbers is within the top seventeen of the Championship. So if Fulham get to the head of Middlesbrough's snake, they are off to a great start.

Cyrus Christie

Two things that Gary Monk's team has done well in attack this season has been dribbling and getting the ball into the box. This is evidenced by their league-leading 12.6 dribbles per 90 minutes and their 24.8% of all crosses connecting this campaign. To put things into perspective, the always poor Fulham only complete 19.3% of their crosses. The team leader in both categories who play over one-quarter of the season (or 180 minutes) has been the ex-Derby County fullback.

While Assombolanga rightfully gets all the attention at Teeside, but don't discount what Christie has done for Gary Monk in his first season with the club. He has bombed forward when it is required and his past has proven that he can be capable of more. Like Jokanovic, Monk has been employing a 4-3-3 with having both of his fullbacks supporting his forwards at the run of play. George Friend is also one to watch out for on such matters and Fulham's midfield and defense will have to be ready to deter them from getting beyond their defensive position.

Adam Clayton
All data from whoscored.com

Lastly, when Fulham do have the ball, they will have to deal with a defense that have only given up five goals this campaign and a joint third-best 22 shots on target. Part of that has to do with steady center back Ben Gibson and Darren Randolph has been brilliant since fleeing from West Ham's logjam in goal. However, you'll be surprised that it has actually been the center of midfield where you'll be finding where the defense really begins.

At 28, Clayton is leading the team in combined interceptions and tackles with 37. Along with that, his 3.34 tackles per 90 minutes will be his highest rate in the past five campaigns If the season were over. Now Clayton may not be the same midfielder he was back in Middlesbrough's promotion season 2015/16 where he was delivering 3.57 interceptions and 6.66 long ball passes per 90 minutes. However, he still has plenty to offer in Monk's system and will be a key leader in stopping Fulham's attack.

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2017/9/23/16348680/three-players-to-watch-matchday-9-vs-middlesbrough

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic urges Fulham to 'be brave' against Middlesbrough

Boss says he always tells his players to shoot at the target

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic has called on his players to "fix the problems" from last week's defeat to Burton Albion.

The Whites were surprisingly beaten 2-1 at the Pirelli Stadium last Saturday to continue their slow start to the Championship campaign.

And the boss has admitted his players need to be brave when they take on Boro at Craven Cottage today.

Jokanovic said: "We have some kind of problems in both boxes, especially in the opposition box and we must be 100 per cent focused on finishing the action.

"It's the same in our box, we need the resolve a little bit better. We are without end product in both boxes.

"We must be brave, be solid and show the quality we have. At the moment when we attack it's like it's ok [not to score] because next time we're going to score the goal, but this doesn't exist in football, you have one chance you must be focused on finishing the action because next time nobody knows.

"We had 15 shots on goal [against Burton] and people complain that we shoot only two times at the target. When I order them to shoot, I order them always to shoot at the target believe me!"

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/slavisa-jokanovic-urges-fulham-be-13663227

hovewhite

Quote from: WhiteJC on September 23, 2017, 08:44:19 AM

Slavisa Jokanovic urges Fulham to 'be brave' against Middlesbrough

Boss says he always tells his players to shoot at the target

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic has called on his players to "fix the problems" from last week's defeat to Burton Albion.

The Whites were surprisingly beaten 2-1 at the Pirelli Stadium last Saturday to continue their slow start to the Championship campaign.

And the boss has admitted his players need to be brave when they take on Boro at Craven Cottage today.

Jokanovic said: "We have some kind of problems in both boxes, especially in the opposition box and we must be 100 per cent focused on finishing the action.

"It's the same in our box, we need the resolve a little bit better. We are without end product in both boxes.

"We must be brave, be solid and show the quality we have. At the moment when we attack it's like it's ok [not to score] because next time we're going to score the goal, but this doesn't exist in football, you have one chance you must be focused on finishing the action because next time nobody knows.

"We had 15 shots on goal [against Burton] and people complain that we shoot only two times at the target. When I order them to shoot, I order them always to shoot at the target believe me!"

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/slavisa-jokanovic-urges-fulham-be-13663227
Im glad that slav tells them to shoot really am!

WhiteJC

Fulham gaffer confirms summer signing will return for 'Boro game

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic has confirmed to Get West London that summer signing Aboubakar Kamara will return to the squad for today's game with Middlesbrough.

The summer capture was dropped from the squad against Burton Albion, a game which saw Fulham under perform and drop points, but his manager has confirmed he will be back involved today.

"I always choose what I believe is best for my team, I thought for this game behind us, I didn't see him as a player that could help me against Burton and I made a different choice.

"All the players need time to adapt and understand what we're going to do on the pitch. The language, trying to understand what we expect of them, for this game in front of us he'll be part of the squad and if I need him I can use him." said Jokanovic.

Kamara had previously been involved in all the Cottagers' games this season and will be looking to come back firing following his dropping against the Brewers.

He signed for the Championship club in the summer on a four-year deal from Amiens. The Cottagers missed out on promotion last season following a playoff semi-final loss to Reading, and have made a sticky start to the life in the second tier this term.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-gaffer-confirms-summer-signing-will-return-for-boro-game/