https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Well done but how did we hang on.

Started by The Swan, September 29, 2017, 09:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black and White Town

Oh, and how the ref found 9 minutes of added time is a total mystery

grandad

I was watching the match live on Sky which may have been a different one to those who say we were poor. QPR were unbeaten at home. Slavisa knew they would rough us up, and boy how they did. Our defence was superb the whole game. Slavisa made the non enforced subs at the right time. OK Ojo had one of those games where not much went well for him, Every player will have one of those days.
How QPR finished with 11 men baffles me. 2 of their players really should have been red carded.
We have played 2 difficult games with only 2 days between, scored 5 goals, conceded 2 & got 6 points.
Why are some still so negative ? It is the same people every game, win lose or draw. We have hardly fielded our 11 best starters due to a massive amount of injuries.
Talk the Club & players up & not down.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Lighthouse

Had their keeper scored from the corner in the new extra time rule we seem to have been playing then I would be spitting bile and abuse. Had Ojo been given the foul and the QPR player sent off then the game would have been completely different.

As it is we can all be happy that we may not be able to take penalties or have a proper out and out forward without Kamara. But hey we have learned to win when we don't dominate sides. Hurrah for that.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 29, 2017, 10:01:43 PM
We hung on because we are developing a mental strength of thou shalt not pass. Some great blocks and covering. We had more quality overal.

I concur. Fulham had more quality about them.

alfie

Quote from: filham on September 29, 2017, 10:22:25 PM
I thought we were poor tonight and rather lucky to win. Again we confirmed that we can't take penalties or keep clean sheets.
However we have just had back to back away wins and again demonstrated fighting spirit even when playing badly.
Why lucky? It's not luck things happen because they happen, QPR had chances but they did not take them, that's not luck on our part it's bad finishing on their part.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

toshes mate

Quote from: grandad on September 30, 2017, 12:24:37 AM
How QPR finished with 11 men baffles me. 2 of their players really should have been red carded.
So pleased you, at least, saw the same game I saw.  Robinson, last defender, shoves Ojo to the ground, straight red card. (Ojo made life difficult for himself for the whole game the first time he went down having lost control of the ball but appealing to the referee for a foul).  He got nothing but an injured shoulder after that.) Mackie doing his best WWE move on Johansen, already booked, but a straight red in any competent referee's eyes.  It was another inept referee failing to protect players which is getting to be the norm in football and it has to stop.  QPR were lucky to have the chance to apply pressure on us for the last several minutes since they ought to have been nine men trying to stop the flood of goals. 

It may have made for good entertainment but surely football is about skill and craft and not thuggery and cheating.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: alfie on September 30, 2017, 08:05:04 AM
Quote from: filham on September 29, 2017, 10:22:25 PM
I thought we were poor tonight and rather lucky to win. Again we confirmed that we can't take penalties or keep clean sheets.
However we have just had back to back away wins and again demonstrated fighting spirit even when playing badly.
Why lucky? It's not luck things happen because they happen, QPR had chances but they did not take them, that's not luck on our part it's bad finishing on their part.

I would rather be lucky than unlucky.
Sometimes and in fact most times you make your own luck. 
The harder you work, the luckier you get. ⚽️⚽️
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Mince n Tatties

The 9 minutes was correct, Ojo the time he was hurt was about 5 mins,Kalas and Sess  as well.

Woolly Mammoth

I look upon it as another nine minutes of free spectating, and showed we can defend a lead until the 99th minute, good practice as well, and appears we have learnt lessons.

Never forget your Roots.

hovewhite

Felt we defended really really well from front to back,mackie should have been sent off yes after that violent lunge on stefan.But proud of the team.

res

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 30, 2017, 01:59:48 PM
I look upon it as another nine minutes of free spectating, and showed we can defend a lead until the 99th minute, good practice as well, and appears we have learnt lessons.

I thought we defended the last few minutes quite well, the only thing we could have done better was to keep the ball for longer in the odd moments when clearances fell to our player...but, in the box, there were lots of bodies on the line.

Artful Dodger

We defended well when it mattered but in the last 20 minutes couldn't pass out from the back, lost every second ball in midfield and the front 2 looked like they couldn't trap a bag of sand....and QPR still couldn't beat us! We definitely got a bit lucky in hanging on but as has been said, its a good sign to win when not at our best.....
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

Wingnut

Quote from: knightwest on September 29, 2017, 11:06:58 PM
I thought fonte showed real strength of character to create and play that ball to johansen. Considering he just missed a pen.

That was a very good piece of play by him, to be fair. Don't think he is going to be a goalscorer for us.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

The Swan

Apart from the two goals we scored the most important bit was the goal line clearance by Kalas in the last few minutes of the added time.
The Swan

Woolly Mammoth

That was some clearance, basically prevented us from dropping two points.
I shall drink to his health. 🍺

Never forget your Roots.