https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (15/09/10)

Started by WhiteJC, September 15, 2010, 07:50:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=823125&sec=england&cc=5739
Wolves chief insists: We've nothing to apologise for

Wolves chief executive Jez Moxey insists the club have nothing to apologise for after they were criticised for an overly-physical approach in the wake of Bobby Zamora's broken leg.

Mick McCarthy's side have endured an avalanche of negative headlines after their game against Newcastle in August, as they were accused in some quarters of targeting midfielder Joey Barton.

And when Karl Henry's tackle on Fulham's Zamora led to the striker breaking his leg on Saturday, Cottagers fans sang "You're a disgrace to the Premier League," at McCarthy and his team.

The 13 yellow cards and one red shown to Wolves players during the last two matches have earned the club a £75,000 fine from the Football Association. But Moxey joined McCarthy and Henry in defending Wolves' style of play and praised the players for showing commitment to the club.

He told the club's website: "We don't have to apologise for anything. Football is a very physical game and it's the referee's job to make decisions as he sees fit.

"I do not see a problem with how our players have conducted themselves at all. We don't want anyone thinking Wolves plays over aggressively or in a manner not befitting the game because that would be wrong.

"I'm sure the team will remain competitive and will carry on playing as hard as they can, because we have to. Part of the team's make-up is the need to play in a competitive style and our fans want to see that as well. On occasions in the past, pre the Mick McCarthy era, teams have been accused of not playing hard enough for the Wolves jersey.

"This group of players are totally committed to the cause and are conscientious, genuine players but (neither) they, nor Mick, would have them resort to being overly physical.''

Moxey described Zamora's broken leg as a freak injury and admitted he is concerned Wolves may be gaining a reputation that could affect the way they are treated by referees.

He continued: "The only concern we have is the publicity that has been generated after these last two games and the potential it has to possibly affect the perception of the officials going forwards, which we hope won't be the case.

"The Fulham fans and the media immediately seized on Bobby Zamora's unfortunate leg break during a fair tackle by Karl Henry - and everyone is sorry when a player is badly injured - but it was not a foul, just a freakishly unfortunate accident.''

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6376891,00.html
Stockdale sets sights on recall
Inexperienced goalkeeper vows to put pressure on Schwarzer

David Stockdale has warned Fulham number one Mark Schwarzer he will be pushing him for a first-team recall.

Schwarzer was left out for the start of the season as Arsenal aimed to sign the 37-year-old Australia international, meaning Stockdale was given his Premier League debut two years after joining the Cottagers from Darlington.

Schwarzer has ended up staying at Craven Cottage but Stockdale, who turns 25 next week, took full advantage and was a unanimous choice as the club's star man in August.

The promising keeper played on despite picking up an ankle injury in the 2-2 draw at Blackpool, which robbed him of a surprise England call-up.

And although Schwarzer returned for Saturday's 2-1 win over Wolves, Stockdale is eager to earn another stint between the sticks.

Player of the month
"I'm definitely surprised I won the player of the month award and hopefully now I can get fit and push Mark for his first-team place," he told the club's official website.

"He's a great goalkeeper so I can't push my luck and I'll cover him until my opportunity comes around again.

"I waited two years for my chance to come so it was really disappointing to get injured but the fans know they've got someone behind Mark now.

"I got injured after 60 minutes against Blackpool but I didn't want to come off. It was mentally tough out there with the injury but I just wanted to carry on and show determination."

Fulham's 20-year-old keeper Neil Etheridge was on the bench against Wolves but Stockdale hopes to make a speedy return to full fitness.

Injury
"The injury is a lot better and we're hoping I'll be back in full training in 10 days time," he said. "I'm aiming to be back on the bench for the Everton game.

"Unfortunately it's meant I've had to sit out a few games but they said it would have been about the same time if I'd come off anyway."

Stockdale played in all four of Fulham's games in August, with the 2-2 draw at home to Manchester United particularly memorable.

"My favourite game was the Manchester United match," he added. "I've got links to Leeds with my family so there's a bit of added rivalry for me.

"The fans were behind me in the first half and they were really encouraging me - I was delighted I came through those matches in August."

WhiteJC

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/153898/Fulham-braced-for-keeper-deals/
Fulham braced for keeper deals

FULHAM are bracing themselves for Arsenal to reignite their interest in want-away keeper Mark Schwarzer by lining up a cut-price move for Julian Speroni.

Schwarzer, 37, was disappointed a move to the Emirates didn't materialise during the summer transfer window.

But Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is set to return for the Australia international in January.

Doubts persist over Arsenal's current first- choice stopper Manuel Almunia and understudy Lukasz Fabianski.

Schwarzer's deal finishes at the end of the season and Fulham will consider letting him leave at the turn of the year
rather than lose him for nothing next summer.

Cottagers boss Mark Hughes has started to prepare for Schwarzer's exit by lining up a second move for Crystal Palace
keeper Speroni, 31.

The Argentine is stalling on a new contract and Eagles boss George Burley is willing to sell him for £750,000 in

January rather than let him leave on a free next June.

Fulham made a formal approach for Speroni on the final day of the summer transfer window with a view to a £1.7m
deal after it looked like Schwarzer would finally land his dream move.

But the deal fell through after he was forced to stay at Craven Cottage.

WhiteJC

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/we-all-wish-bobby-zamora-a-speedy-recovery
We all wish Bobby Zamora a speedy recovery
Fulham correspondent: Moussa Dembele eases the pain of Bobby blow

Just as all the football writers (including this one) were checking back over Mark Hughes record of draws during his tenure at Manchester City’s Lottery HQ, the first three points of the season thankfully arrived with the 2-1 weekend win against Wolverhampton Wanderers.

It will have come as a relief to Hughes and means a four game unbeaten start to the season – even though he will still be recalling that during his spell at City he only suffered one defeat and that still led to his dismissal – something that still, understandably, irks him.

The victory over a determined Wolves side had many plusses...

A Moussa Dembele double continued to support the claim that he could turn out to be the bargain of the season, a sign that the free flowing Fulham style is safe under Sparky and that the togetherness and character of the side is not only alive and well but thriving under his management.

And of course Mark Schwarzer returned to claim the keeper’s jersey. However, it came at what could be a huge cost.

Bobby Zamora broke his fibula. A successful operation on Sunday to mend the fibula and repair the ligament damage is good news but tempered by the fact that Bobby is likely to be out until the end of January.

It is a huge personal blow for Zamora – not to mention a damaging one for Fulham - whose season had started so brightly with his first international cap followed by signing a new four-year contract just a day before suffering the leg break. 

And it is a big loss to Fulham too as Zamora has become a focal point of our attack and now puts, as Hughes himself highlighted, a big onus on new-boy Dembele. It also brings a shuddering halt to their partnership which was showing all the signs of becoming one of the strike pairings that teams would fear the most.

So, the bedding in period for Dembele has come to a dramatic end and both Clint Dempsey and Zoltan Gera are going to have work hard at limiting Bobby’s temporary demise.

It remains to be seen whether Hughes decides to have a look at any potential Bosman signings – the only ones available to him – or whether he feels he has enough to get through the next four or five months.

The next couple of games are going to be crucial in limiting the effect of Zamora’s absence.

Disclaimer: The views in this article are that of the writer and may not replicate those of the Professional Footballers' Association.

WhiteJC

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2010/09/14/stephen-kelly-backs-fulham-new-boy-to-fill-bobby-zamora-s-boots-64767-27258896/
Stephen Kelly backs Fulham new-boy to fill Bobby Zamora's boots

MOUSSA Dembele will score the goals crocked team-mate Bobby Zamora can't, according to Stephen Kelly.

The Fulham frontman will be sidelined for at least four months after sustaining a broken leg in Saturday's win against Wolves.

But Dembele stepped up to the plate to bag a second-half double to fire Mark Hughes's men to their first Premier League win of the campaign.

And Kelly insists the Belgian international can fill the void left by Zamora's absence.

He said: "We're all gutted for Bobby. It's a massive blow, he's been massive for us last year and this season already.

"Moussa scored two great goals - he seems to be on fire. He's a very good technical player, good on the ball and keeps it really well.

"I really think he's going to be a big star for us this season."

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/fulham%E2%80%99s-stockdale-keen-push-schwarzer-all-way-1115581
Fulham’s Stockdale keen to push Schwarzer all the way

Fulham goalkeeper David Stockdale is keen to push the club’s number one stopper Mark Schwarzer all the way.

The 24-year old was used by Cottagers boss Mark Hughes in the opening three matches of the season whilst Schwarzer was still involved in his summer transfer saga and impressed with the gloves, so much so he received the Fulham Player of the Month for August.

Stockdale was injured in the 2-2 draw with Blackpool a fortnight ago, which denied him a surprise England call-up, paving the way for Schwarzer to start his first game in the 2-1 win over Wolves on the weekend.

However, Stockdale has warned the Australian veteran that he is keen to regain his place in the first team after having a taste of the Premier League.

"I'm definitely surprised I won the player of the month award and hopefully now I can get fit and push Mark for his first-team place," he told the club's official website.

"He's a great goalkeeper so I can't push my luck and I'll cover him until my opportunity comes around again.

"I waited two years for my chance to come so it was really disappointing to get injured but the fans know they've got someone behind Mark now.

"I got injured after 60 minutes against Blackpool but I didn't want to come off. It was mentally tough out there with the injury but I just wanted to carry on and show determination."

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/arsenal-likely-move-fulham%E2%80%99s-schwarzer-january-1116011
Arsenal likely to move for Fulham’s Schwarzer in January

Reports suggest that Arsenal are likely to pursue Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer in the January transfer window.

The Gunners missed out on the 37-year old Australia gloveman in the recent summer opening but the Daily Star suggests that they may return for his services at the start of 2011.

News that Fulham may again come in for Crystal Palace’s Julian Speroni indicates that Mark Hughes is preparing to lose Schwarzer in January for a fee rather than let him leave for nothing at the end of the season when his current contract runs out.

Schwarzer has hinted that he was seeking a pre-contract with a European club in January so he was able to leave Craven Cottage next June as a free agent.

WhiteJC

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/43667/Moxey_hits_back_at_Wolves_detractors.aspx
Moxey hits back at Wolves detractors

Wolverhampton Wanderers chief executive Jez Moxey has hit back at the critics who have laid into his team's physical approach.

The criticism has surfaced after tough-tackling captain Karl Henry was involved in a challenge that saw Fulham striker Bobby Zamora break his ankle at the weekend.

But Moxey believes the blame does not lie at the step of the Molineux-based outfit and he insists the players are conducting themselves in a professional manner.

"We don't have to apologise for anything. Football is a very physical game and it's the referee's job to make decisions as he sees fit," he suggested.

"I do not see a problem with how our players have conducted themselves at all.

"We don't want anyone thinking Wolves plays over aggressively or in a manner not befitting the game because that would be wrong.

"I'm sure the team will remain competitive and will carry on playing as hard as they can, because we have to. Part of the team's make-up is the need to play in a competitive style and our fans want to see that as well.

"On occasions in the past, pre the Mick McCarthy era, teams have been accused of not playing hard enough for the Wolves jersey."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamweb.co.uk/news/Ex-Man-Utd-Carlos-Queiroz-offered-Fulham-job.aspx
Ex-Man Utd Carlos Queiroz offered Fulham job

Former Real Madrid coach Carlos Queiroz has suggested he rejected the chance to replace Roy Hodgson as Fulham's new manager this summer, and has made it clear he's not worried about his future after being fired as Portugal coach earlier this month.

The 57-year-old was recently handed a six-month ban for obstructing the work of the Portuguese doping authorities. The Seleccao's disastrous start to the Euro 2012 qualifying campaign made things even worse for Queiroz and the Portuguese FA eventually opted to fire the former Manchester United assistant.

Queiroz has now revealed that he received some interesting offers last summer and he's confident that he'll find a new job soon.

"I did already receive a number of interesting offers earlier this summer, when I was still under contract with the Portuguese football association," Queiroz was quoted as saying by RTP.

"Fulham made an attempt to sign me, while I could also have taken over as head coach of Japan's and Australia's national sides. Therefore, I'm not too worried about my future. New opportunities will come up.

"I will probably not stay in Portugal, as I prefer to coach abroad."

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/fulham-boss-hughes-takes-kamara-market-1116761

Fulham boss Hughes takes Kamara off market

15.09.10 | tribalfootball.com

Fulham boss Mark Hughes has decided to drop plans of offloading Diomansy Kamara.

The Senegal international was set to be offloaded on-loan.

But after Bobby Zamora was ruled out for a minimum of four months after breaking his leg in Saturday's 2-1 win over Wolves, Kamara is set to be given a second chance.

White Noise

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/10/09/15/manual_104858.html&TEAMHD=soccer

DIKGACOI FOCUSED ON COMEBACK

Kagiso Dikgacoi is looking for more game time at Fulham as he nears full fitness following yet another injury setback.

The South Africa nternational, who arrived at Craven Cottage in August 2009, has spent the first weeks of the new season on the sidelines due to a thigh strain.

But the 25-year-old midfielder is hoping to resume full training with Mark Hughes' squad sooner rather than later.

"I am getting better everyday, I am getting treatment everyday, doing weight sessions and some fitness work in the gym," he said.

"I have started rehabilitation work and should start proper training next week sometime."

Dikgacoi has made just a dozen appearances for the Cottagers since joining the club and he wants to improve on that record.

"It's been another bad start for me as I start the season with an injury but I am certain I will recover soon," he said.

"My goal this season is to play more games than I played last season."

White Noise

Skill Set

Wednesday 15th September 2010

Share Whilst last Saturday's win against Wolves at Craven Cottage came at a cost, namely the injury sustained by Bobby Zamora, Fulham ultimately got the reward their positive play deserved when Mousa Dembele netted the game's winning goal in the 90th minute of play.

Following a scrappy first-half, the Whites showed admirable discipline to maintain their composure and successfully carry out their game plan.

"What we have to do is get the ball down," explained Manager Mark Hughes as he looked back on the game. "We need to play creative football, try and pass around people, and be dynamic in terms of taking people on, getting away from people and being creative in the last third of the pitch. We're really pleased with what we've produced in the four games so far.

"We're in the top half of the table which is where we want to stay this season and if we play like we have done at the beginning of the season, I'm sure we'll be fine."

Saturday's two-goal hero, Mousa Dembele, certainly delivered the goods and with Zamora set for a period on the sidelines, Hughes is confident that Dembele and the rest of the Team have the tools to adapt.

"There's a big onus on Mousa now," the Manager explained. "But it's a big ask for him because he's new to the Premier League, he's made a really positive start, as everybody has seen. He'll get good support from the guys around him; he's got some good players around him who will help him become the success that we think he could be.

"He understands when he can drive the game and when to pop the ball off and make a new position. That's how an intelligent footballer plays the game – Mousa's certainly an intelligent footballer.

"He understands the game and that's what I like about him. In Holland it's a different type of football – it's technical and tactical. So he understands where he needs to be on the field to be effective. We're just tapping into that at the moment.

"He can play in a number of positions, that's the real attraction from my point of view. I like players who have that flexibility of position. We actually have a number of players of that type. It means that if a shape isn't working, you can move people around on the pitch, you don't have to take personnel off and replace them."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/HughesonDembele.aspx#ixzz0zathVRl2

White Noise

Fulham v Everton

Barclays Premier League

Saturday 25 September

Kick-Off 15:00

A limited number of tickets remain for the visit of David Moyes' Everton side to Craven Cottage on Saturday 25th September (Kick-Off 3pm). Fans are encouraged to secure their seats now to avoid missing out.

On-sale dates
Season Ticket Holders on sale (unlimited)
Fulham Club Members on sale (unlimited)
General Sale on sale (max 4)
Loyalty points: 3 (more info)|

Buy tickets now|

My First Matchday Package
My First Matchday offers Junior supporters and an accompanying adult the opportunity to see what really goes on behind the scenes at Craven Cottage in the build-up to matchday. Pretend you're a radio commentator in the press box, run down the tunnel, pretend you're directing the players from the Manager's seat in the dugout, interview a guardian in front of the TV interview boards, see our trophy cabinet and even meet a Fulham FC legend! More info and prices| †

Matchday Executive Suites
While only a limited number of match tickets remaining, fans wanting to experience the match from an exclusive Executive Suite can do so from just £115 (+VAT) per person. 

Allow your dedicated hostess to take care of everything as you sit back and enjoy your choice of fabulous food options in the warmth and comfort of your own lounge before stepping outside to enjoy the match.

Find out more about hospitality available| or call 020 8336 7555 (Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm) to book your place.†

How to Buy Tickets
buy tickets online  - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day. Save on booking fees by booking online*
by phone on 0870 442 1234 (option 1) - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day
in person from the Ticket Office: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm; non-match day Sat 10am-12pm
by fax 0207 384 4810 (download printable form )
by postal application to FFC Ticket Office, Stevenage Road, Fulham, SW6 6HH enclosing a stamped addressed envelope (download printable form )
Seatwave - the official fan-to-fan ticket exchange
* Lower booking fees compared to telephone booking

† Special offers and packages only available on advance bookings and not on the day of the match.

Prices
Category B prices apply to this match.

NB: Blocks A and AL are a designated Family Area and are not available to  book online. To book, call the Ticket Office on 0870 442 1234 opt.3 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm).

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/tickets/games/EvertonHome.aspx#ixzz0zauUDnDx

WhiteJC

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2010/09/15/arsenal-to-make-crucial-3m-move-in-january/?
Arsenal to Make Crucial £3m Move In January

Fulham are bracing themselves for another Emirates bid.

Fulham are bracing themselves for Arsenal to reignite their interest in want-away keeper Mark Schwarzer by lining up a cut-price move for Julian Speroni.

Schwarzer, 37, was disappointed a move to the Emirates didn't materialise during the summer transfer window.
But Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is set to return for the Australia international in January.

Doubts persist over Arsenal's current first- choice stopper Manuel Almunia and understudy Lukasz Fabianski.

Schwarzer's deal finishes at the end of the season and Fulham will consider letting him leave at the turn of the year rather than lose him for nothing next summer.

Cottagers boss Mark Hughes has started to prepare for Schwarzer's exit by lining up a second move for Crystal Palace keeper Speroni, 31.

The Argentine is stalling on a new contract and Eagles boss George Burley is willing to sell him for £750,000 in
January rather than let him leave on a free next June.

Fulham made a formal approach for Speroni on the final day of the summer transfer window with a view to a £1.7m
deal after it looked like Schwarzer would finally land his dream move.

But the deal fell through after he was forced to stay at Craven Cottage. (Daily Star)

It still remains a mystery as to why Arsene Wenger failed to sign a goalkeeper this summer, and although the team have enjoyed a successful start to the season, there are still defensive worries.

The team clearly need a goalkeeper capable of organising their sometimes shaky defence, and Schwarzer is obviously Wenger's first choice, but would Arsenal fans prefer to see a younger goalkeeper take over as the club's number one?

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/roma-assure-fulham-doni-still-available-1115021

Roma assure Fulham Doni still available

14.09.10 | tribalfootball.com

AS Roma goalkeeper Alexandre Doni's move to Fulham will depend on Mark Schwarzer's contract talks.

Doni saw his switch to Craven Cottage fall through on deadline day as Arsenal failed to meet Fulham's asking price for Schwarzer.

Cottagers boss Mark Hughes has since declared he hopes to secure the Australian to a new deal, though the experienced keeper is weighing up a Bosman move abroad.

Itasportpress.it says Roma have informed Fulham that Doni remains available for a January transfer to London.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/09/15/fulham-star-wants-to-finish-career-at-craven-cottage-82029-27258828/?
Fulham star wants to finish career at Craven Cottage

SIMON Davies wants to finish his career at Craven Cottage.

The Fulham flyer recently signed a new three-year deal that will keep him in SW6 until 2013.

Davies is approaching his 150th appearance in a white shirt following his switch from Spurs in 2007.

And the Welshman, who turns 31 next month, expects to see out his playing days by the Thames.

He said: "It's a contract that takes me to a point where I'll be 34 or so, so to be honest, I can see myself finishing my career here.

"Whenever you find a club where you feel comfortable and settle you have to make the most of it because I've had the experience of being somewhere which wasn't quite right for me."

WhiteJC

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/10/09/15/SOCCER_Fulham.html&TEAMHD=soccer
DEMBELE HOLDS KEY TO FIREPOWER

Fulham boss Mark Hughes hopes Moussa Dembele will fill the void left by Bobby Zamora's injury-enforced absence.

Zamora has been ruled out for four months after sustaining the break just above his right ankle in the 2-1 victory over Wolves, secured by Dembele's injury-time free-kick.

The £5million summer signing from AZ Alkmaar has impressed since his arrival at Craven Cottage and now has a crucial role to play, with Andy Johnson still several weeks from a first-team return following his battle with a knee injury.

"We hope Moussa can get the goals - there's a big onus on him now that Bobby's gone," said Cottagers boss Hughes.

"But it's a big ask, you can't just hang a hat on Moussa. He'll get good support from the guys around him and that will help him become the success we think he will be.

"The beauty of Moussa is that he can play in a number of positions.

"That's the attraction from my point of view because I like players who have that flexibility."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/WinAndSeeEltonJohnLive.aspx?
Rocket Man

Fulham's Official European Airline Partner, Air Malta, is offering Fulham fans the chance to win a flight to Malta and a ticket to see Elton John live in concert, in Malta on Sunday 26th September 2010.

To be in with a chance of winning this fantastic prize, simply follow the link below and answer the question about Fulham's victory over Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday.

Enter online now

Note: Terms and conditions apply, accommodation not included as part of this prize.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/WinAndSeeEltonJohnLive.aspx?#ixzz0zbknXmLX