1-1
West Ham
Liverpool
1-0
Man City

WhiteJC

Mitrovic back fit and firing as Fulham hold Bournemouth

Fulham 2-2 Bournemouth

WHAT do the rickety wooden chairs in Craven Cottage's Johnny Haynes Stand and the brand new plastic ones in the Riverside Stand have in common? Both were barely occupied when Dominic Solanke sent a cushioned volley flying past Bernd Leno a minute and four seconds into this: the Scott Parker-less Scott Parker derby.

Bournemouth arrived in west London on the back of a five-game unbeaten run. So strong is their recent form that many of their fans have been calling for caretaker manager Gary O'Neil to be handed the reins full-time. Marco Silva's Fulham were also promoted from the Championship last season but despite a strong start, they had only won one of their last four league games.

With Bournemouth flying and the Cottagers slumping of late, perhaps it was no surprise that the away fans in the Putney End were first to lift themselves from their seats with delight. With little over a minute on the clock, Marcus Tavernier crossed early for Solanke, who approached the box, fed Billing, and waited for the Dane's pullback to land in his path. When it did, he volleyed home with confidence.

As the Fulham faithful begged aloud for their team to find some urgency, Andreas Pereira did a Cruyff turn from his right foot onto his left and then struck wildly over the bar. It was a poor finish, but it triggered the injection of impetus his teammates needed.

On 22 minutes, they had their equaliser when Pereira's devilish in-swinging corner was helped in by Issa Diop. The summer signing from West Ham had his first Fulham goal, and Fulham had their equaliser. Goalkeeper Neto, minutes after receiving treatment to his groin, could only aid the header into the net.

Bournemouth were one of the Premier League's most dangerous counter-attacking sides during their last spell in the top tier. Little has changed. Within seven minutes, the Cherries had restored their lead when Adam Smith fed Solanke, who crossed low for Jefferson Lerma. The Colombian international stroked the ball into the corner with finesse.

But after the break, this match became a microcosm of Lerma's Bournemouth career as a whole. Never the most disciplined player in the world, he was penalised for grabbing Aleksandar Mitrovic — fit to play but pocketed to this point. Here was the Serbian's chance to score his first goal in over a month. He passed his penalty into the bottom right corner, sending Neto the wrong way.

O'Neil and Silva have both turned their sides into shrewd teams punching well above their weight. Yet you always felt the visitors were more likely to edge in front. Solanke forced Leno into a fine save from a tight angle, before Lerma glanced a free header inches wide of the sprawling German's post.

Fulham looked vulnerable on the break but also showed character. They dug in as they penned Bournemouth in for much of the final half-hour of a match in which they'd already twice come from behind to level.

Substitute Willian's west London fame came while wearing the blue of Chelsea, but he nearly made a decisive contribution from the bench, assisting Mitrovic who curled the ball into Neto's grateful gloves. Bournemouth bedded in, sat back, and settled for a point.

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/s/mitrovic-back-fit-and-firing-fulham-hold-bournemouth

WhiteJC

Fulham Women fire eight past Aylesford

Hat tricks from Helen Ogle and Ede Buchele fired Fulham Women to an 8-0 win over Aylesford at Motspur Park this afternoon.

The Whites, forced to start with three central defenders for the second week in succession, took a while to impose themselves on the division's bottom side with plenty of patient passing but a lack of penetration in the early stages. Buchele almost pounced on a defensive mistake to give the hosts the lead in the tenth minute, but Steve Jaye's side went in front through predatory finishing from Ogle.

The excellent Georgia Heasman's cross was guided goalwards by Buchele but the Aylesford goalkeeper spilled what should have been a simple save and Ogle reacted quickest, steering the loose ball into the corner superbly from close range. It took just three minutes for Fulham to double the lead with Heasman racing onto a brilliant through ball by Sophie Modak and finding the far corner.

Heasman turned provider for Fulham's third ten minutes before the break, playing in Ogle who grabbed her second of the afternoon with a composed finish. Edie Kelly made sure Aylesford didn't find a route back into the contest despite some slack marking at a set play as she made a superb reaction save.

Fulham switched to a 4-3-3 at the start of the second half as Lauren Armstrong came on to play right back and were much more fluent as a result. Under-18 star Buchele scored her first Fulham goal within four minutes of the restart before linking up impressively with Heasman to lay own Ogle's third. Ogle's consistent performances have been one of the reasons why the Whites have been able to bounce back from two deflating defeats and the understanding between Fulham's front three appeared almost telepathic at times.

Buchele made it six on the hour guiding home an inviting cross from Heasman with a modicum of fuss. The youngster's afternoon got even better thirteen minutes from time when she smashed home a third to complete her own outstanding treble. There was still time for Heasman, who was superb along the right throughout, to add a deserved second when she powered home a strike from eleven yards after more excellent play from Buchele.

Jaye's side will hope to follow up this comprehensive victory with progress in the FA Cup. The Whites face Maidenhead at Motspur Park on Sunday afternoon, with kick off at 2.30pm.

FULHAM WOMEN (3-4-3): Kelly; Southgate, Stormer, Modak; Foreman, Mendes, Lambird, Konan; Ogle, Heasman, Buchele. Subs: Woodland, Armstrong.

GOALS: Ogle (17, 35, 54), Buchele (49, 60, 77), Heasman (20, 83).

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/10/fulham-women-fire-eight-past-aylesford/

WhiteJC

Fulham boss picks out two players who made an 'impact' against Bournemouth

Who impressed Fulham's boss yesterday?

Fulham boss Marco Silva has hailed the influence of substitutes Willian and Tom Cairney yesterday. The Cottagers brought the pair on at half-time and helped their side pick up a draw.

The London club drew 2-2 at home to AFC Bournemouth at Craven Cottage. They fell behind after just two minutes when Dom Solanke scored for the visitors, only to equalise through defender Issa Diop on 22 minutes.

The Cherries took the lead again shortly after through Jefferson Lerma but the hosts were able to find an equaliser after the break with Aleksandar Mitrovic scoring from the penalty spot.

'Made an impact'...

Silva praised Willian and Cairney after the game, as per Fulham's official club website:

"We made some changes half-time, not just the players but some important details that made an impact in the game. TC and Willian made a great impact in the game as well and our second half was all ourselves.

"They played with nine players around their box, with just Solanke up front. I know that they were winning, the responsibility for ourselves was to get control of the game. It's tough to play against nine players around the box, plus the goalkeeper.

"We equalised the game and I think with playing so many times around their box, we could score even more goals. That was something that our players probably deserved with the effort and with the character they showed. It's one point and we have to keep going."

Fulham are now three games without a win in the league but have still made a decent start to life back in the Premier League. They are 10th in the table after picking up 12 points from their opening 10 outings.

Next up for Silva's men is a home clash against Aston Villa on Thursday as they look to get back to winning ways. They then have an away trip to Leeds United next weekend.

https://www.londonworld.com/sport/football/fulham/fulham-boss-picks-out-two-players-who-made-an-impact-against-bournemouth-3881816

WhiteJC

£25m Leeds United man's loan isn't going to plan, he was hooked at half-time yesterday - opinion

It's never a good sign for a player to head down the tunnel at half-time, only for fans to see his number shown by the fourth official at the start of the second half.

That's the fate that on-loan Leeds United winger Daniel James suffered yesterday, with Fulham 2-1 down against Bournemouth.

James was replaced by fellow new signing Willian, and the Whites went on to earn a point thanks to Aleksandar Mitrovic's penalty.

It's a worrying sign for James that he was the man sacrificed to change the game on Saturday.

Signed on deadline day from Leeds when it became apparent he wouldn't be first choice at Elland Road, James hasn't kicked on yet at Craven Cottage.

Marco Silva has an abundance of wide players to choose from in his squad.

In order to stay in the team, James needs to be at his very best, and possibly more importantly, get the best out of Mitrovic.

However, James may now find himself further down the pecking order, especially as fellow Welshman Harry Wilson has returned from injury.

James loan move not going to plan
For much of the summer, James wanted to stay at Leeds and his manager Jesse Marsch was happy to keep the Welshman.

He was closely linked with a move to Tottenham, but the move never materialised.

However, on deadline day, it became obvious that James would have to leave Leeds if he wanted to play more first-team football.

Newly promoted Fulham was where James eventually ended up, but he's failed to make an impact since joining.

James hasn't registered a goal or assist yet, and was the man Silva sacrificed with Fulham looking for a goal on Saturday.

The return of Harry Wilson, who was pivotal to Fulham's promotion last season, might spell bad news for James.

With Willian having a good game against Bournemouth off the bench, and Neeskens Kebano also impressing, he could find himself quite far down the pecking order.

He's yet to work out how best to combine with Mitrovic in the middle, although he did offer makeshift right-back Bobby Decordova-Reid some defensive cover.

James' loan deal really isn't going to plan, and he'll need to step up quickly if he wants to avoid a wasted season in west London.

Rumours are still circulating that Tottenham are interested in James, who originally signed for Leeds for £25m.

Football London report that Conte is still considering a move for the Welshman.

Fulham may be tempted to cut their losses on James in January, and Spurs could pounce then if they're still interested.

https://tbrfootball.com/25m-leeds-united-mans-loan-isnt-going-to-plan-he-was-hooked-at-half-time-yesterday-opinion/

WhiteJC

Injury updates on eight Aston Villa players as they head to Fulham

Aston Villa are gearing up for a trip to Leeds United with Steven Gerrard giving the latest on the injury front.

Aston Villa are back in Premier League action in the week when they travel to newly promoted Fulham on Thursday. Villa's mini unbeaten run of four matches was brought to a sharp end on Sunday as they were beaten by Chelsea at Villa Park.

Villa did so without a host of key players who are missing through injury; summer signings Boubacar Kamara and Diego Carlos are both missing with various set-backs suffered in the early parts of the season, while Lucas Digne is also currently sidelined.

Still, the football won't wait for the Lions to be at full strength and Steven Gerrard will need to make do with what he has available for the time being - starting with at Fulham in the week.

With that in mind here's the latest injury state of play from Bodymoor Heath...

Boubacar Kamara

Injury: Knee

Possible return date: vs Liverpool (December 26)

The latest: Kamara has sustained knee ligament damage, Villa officials have confirmed, with the Frenchman likely to miss the remainder of 2022. The Frenchman picked up the injury during a challenge with Southampton's Mohamed Elyounoussi with head coach Gerrard speaking of his worry afterwards. French media have outlined that Kamara would miss the next two months prior to the World Cup.

Villa's statement read: "Aston Villa can confirm Boubacar Kamara suffered a knee ligament injury during last Friday's victory over Southampton. The midfielder sustained the damage during the first half of our encounter with Saints and was replaced by Douglas Luiz shortly before half-time. As a result of the injury, Kamara was forced to withdraw from the French national squad for this round of UEFA Nations League fixtures and has begun a rehabilitation programme."

What Gerrard has said: "Bouba will be missing until after the World Cup, unfortunately, so that's a huge blow."

Lucas Digne

Injury: Ankle

Possible return date: vs Chelsea (October 16)

The latest: Digne is to have further tests on a "possible stress fracture" of the ankle, it has been reported. The left-back was withdrawn from the France squad for the current international break ahead of Nations League games against Austria and Denmark.

According to French newspaper L'Equipe, despite initial fears that the 29-year-old's stress fracture in his ankle would keep him sidelined for a significant period of time, the defender's latest scans appear to show that his injury is not as bad as first feared and he could be missing for between two to three weeks.

What Gerrard has said: "Lucas is a unique situation, he has a heel problem, and it's one we're going to have to monitor as we go along, so it's very difficult to [give] a timescale on Lucas, but he'll certainly be missing in the coming weeks."

Cameron Archer

Injury: Groin

The latest: Young striker Archer has made cameo appearances in the Premier League this season but he's been struggling with a groin niggle lately and Gerrard has hinted that it might require surgery.

What Gerrard has said: "Cameron Archer's groin is still niggling away so we're going to have to do something with him at a later date but he's still available for selection."

Tyrone Mings

Injury: Ankle

Possible return date: Expected to be fit for Fulham

The latest: Mings rolled his ankle late in the game against Chelsea and, while he did complete it, he did hobble off the pitch at full time.

What Gerrard has said: "I think he'll be alright for Thursday. I think he'll be alright. I didn't see him with any ice on or any medical people around him so I presume he'll be alright."

Leon Bailey

Injury: Muscle injury

Possible return date: Fulham away on Thursday

The latest: Bailey only played an hour of Villa's game with Chelsea under medical advice but appeared to come through the game okay.

What Gerrard has said: "Medical advice for Leon was 30 (minutes) or 60 tops. Leon has been one of our brightest players this year and I decided to go with the 60 rather than the 30. In a selfish world, I didn't really want to take him off but Leon's health, body and medical advice is more important to what I want at that moment."

Ludwig Augustinsson

Injury: Hamstring

Possible return date: Newcastle away

What Gerrard has said: "Luda (Ludwig Augustinsson) should be available at the end of the month as well."

Jed Steer

Injury: Achilles tendon

Possible return date: N/A

What Gerrard has said: "Steer has been out on the pitch with us. There's no date on him. He's stepped his rehab up. He's had the same injury on a couple of occasions. It's one that we don't want to rush. We have to get his rehab right so it's a patient one."

Diego Carlos

Injury: Achilles

Possible return date: N/A

The latest: The defender had successful surgery last month and will now start the road to recovery as he continues his rehabilitation.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mings-archer-aston-villa-injury-18896713

WhiteJC

McAvoy 'buzzing' ahead of Celtic test

Fulham's Scottish under-21 international Connor McAvoy is 'buzzing' ahead of Tuesday night's Premier League International Cup meeting with Celtic's under 21s at Motspur Park.

Steve Wigley's side go into tomorrow's clash looking for a win after being held to a goalless draw by Valencia at Craven Cottage earlier this month, but McAvoy says the young Whites are full of confidence after keeping three consecutive clean sheets and putting seven goals past Leicester City in their last league outing.

The classy centre back told Fulham's official website:

"We're all feeling really good. We've kept three clean sheets in our last three games so for me personally, I'm buzzing. The 7-0 against Leicester was a huge win which was pleasing because it's been a while since we've really dominated a team like that. Steve Wigley always tells us to outwork the opposition right from the off and I think that's one of the main reasons we do well. We work so hard together as a team from the front all the way to the back. Everyone works tirelessly and that's why we've been keeping clean sheets. Everyone is doing their job."

McAvoy attributes his development as a footballer to last season's loan spell with National League Wealdstone.

"I always tell people that it was the best nine months of my career so far. I really enjoyed getting the experience and it helped me with my game so much. I could clearly see the benefits of it once I came back and started playing Under-21s football again. When any of the lads ask me about going out on loan I always encourage it because it's so good for you playing men's football."

The Chertsey-born defender is on Marco Silva's radar having impressed during the summer tour of Portugal and has been training with the first team this season.

"You never know when you're going to get the call to train with them. It's often on the day in the morning and it always feels good. I've been there quite a few times this season and I really enjoy it. Being around the first team players and learning off them is as good as going out on loan. Being in and around that environment and seeing what Marco wants definitely helps me."

Tickets for Tuesday night's Premier League International Cup match are available via Fulham's website, priced at £5 for adults and £1 for concessions. The game kicks off at 7pm.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/10/mcavoy-buzzing-ahead-of-celtic-test/