watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Brian McBride Evening

Started by mrmicawbers, October 19, 2017, 10:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmicawbers

Couldn't make it myself. I'm sure some of you chaps went.How did the night pan out?

copthornemike

Excellent evening.

Sometimes meeting a legend in person can lead to disappointment due to high expectations - but Brian I am sure met or indeed exceeded those of the attendees. Very humble, personable, humorous and a good alround human being. Was more than happy to speak to take the time to talk to anyone and be photographed despite having only arrived from the sates that morning. His wife attended as well and she was a delight - really are a lovely couple whose clear first priority is family.

Two interesting annecdotes - he revealed Al Fayed offered him a contract extension but he and his wife decided the timing was such due to their children's education that it was best to move back to the States. Personally I also got the impression that he also felt injuries has caught up to him to some greater or lesser extent. 
Also when asked if he tried to talk Clint out of moving to Spurs he said he was unaware that Clint was moving, but if he had he would have tried to have persuade him to stay.

Oh - and a big thank you to the Postal Service and Maestro (FoF administrator). After the original winner of the FoF site draw for the ticket was unable to go the ticket was offered again on this site to the first person who replied and had entered the original draw. I was the lucky second time round winner - the ticket was posted 1st class on Thursday and reached me on Friday so I could attend.   

The Rock

I assumed it would just be on the website - but he was very laid back and a very down to earth guy. We grew up by each other, so it was nice to see a local face. He took the time to get a picture with anyone who wanted etc. He's just a regular guy and always was and always will be I think, taking the kids to school, etc.

A few other notes of interest:

Roy - no surprise here, but had everyone knowing what their part was. Very organized. You knew your options on the pitch and directed to where you would be. Everyone knew their options. Eventually after 1k times of repeating something, everyone knew their role and made the team far more difficult to break down.

Danny Murphy - during the great escape Danny Murphy came up to him and asked him how he heads a ball - he hadn't a clue and never incorporated it into his game. Brian told him what to do and how to do it, and sure thing, on that last day vs. Pompey he produced perhaps his only header of his career.

Maf - Great escape -  On the last day and/or the second to last day vs. Birmingham Maf was in the dressing room with the team in the trenches and was much much more involved in the team than Khan is. Not saying it's right or wrong, but I liked that about Maf.

mrmicawbers

HatterDon

Just wondering if the timing of his invitation was planned to include PNE who were, after all, the first club in England he turned out for
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

paulbrookersmazydribbles

Quote from: HatterDon on October 19, 2017, 10:48:29 PM
Just wondering if the timing of his invitation was planned to include PNE who were, after all, the first club in England he turned out for

It was suggested by the Fulham Supporters' Trust that the fixture would work best - especially with Brian not having TV commitments - and the Club moved very quickly to make it happen.

Jimpav

Thanks for the reports, sounds like a great evening.

Missed him a few years back when the event was cancelled because of the weather and then missed him again because of babysitting duties - hopefully he will be back!

filham

Thanks for all the good reports. We were lucky to have Brian with us in his playing days and now we are lucky to have him as a legend without a blot on his character.