Started by ex-Pat, October 25, 2017, 02:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ex-Pat

Dixie

13:38
'Foden & Sessegnon excellent'

Trevor Sinclair
Ex-England and Man City winger
I think Pep was astounded by Foden's ability at Manchester City. I think he has the perfect partner in Sessegnon down the right, that trigger as to when to make the movement. They have been excellent all evening.
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!

Dixie

That is an excerpt from the BBC live commentary by the way
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!

Delboy

3-1 to England, a hat-trick for Brewster, into injury time now.

MaidenheadMick

Watched it over in Florida. The whole team was outstanding. Sessegnon looks like he'll outdo his brother. He was immense

Delboy

Well done the Young Lions, Wouldn't be a World Cup Final with England in it without a Fulham player.

toshes mate

A cracking semi-final from what I believe were two of the best sides in the tournament to date.  Sheer entertainment for ninety odd minutes - what more could you ask for?

cmg

Quote from: Delboy on October 25, 2017, 02:34:15 PM
Well done the Young Lions, Wouldn't be a World Cup Final with England in it without a Fulham player.

Yep. Jumping the gun by a few months, but Sheyi Ojo featured in the England u20 WC triumph in the summer.

Twig

Our young players are some of the best in the world. Under 20's winning finalists and now under 17's in their final.  So my question is; why can't we develop a winning national side? What goes wrong?

cmg

Quote from: Twig on October 25, 2017, 03:39:28 PM
Our young players are some of the best in the world. Under 20's winning finalists and now under 17's in their final.  So my question is; why can't we develop a winning national side? What goes wrong?

It's the first time we've had much success at either of these age groups Wold Cups (3rd in the 1993 Youth WC being about the best we've done), so we'll have to see how this lot turns out.
As we, ourselves, know there is a lot that can happen between junior and senior level.

Woolly Mammoth

Absolutely brilliant team performance ⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

cmg

As a matter of possible interest, I looked up the England side that finished 3rd in 1993:
Apart from the great and wonderful Ian Pearce it was hardly choc-full of future world beaters:
David WATSON
(GK)   
Steve WATSON
David UNSWORTH
Ian PEARCE
(-57')   
Andrew MYERS
Chris BART-WILLIAMS
Darren CASKEY
(C)   
Jamie POLLOCK
Alan THOMPSON
Julian JOACHIM
Anthony HUGHES

The two most successful in the future, I'd say, were on the bench - Nick Barmby and Andy Johnson

Keynsham

Julian Joachim is still playing.  064.gif

bog

I didn't realise this was on the red button, only saw the last 5 mins! Did Steven start the game then?

092.gif

hovewhite

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bog on October 25, 2017, 05:02:08 PM
I didn't realise this was on the red button, only saw the last 5 mins! Did Steven start the game then?

092.gif

Yes sir.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

HatterDon

Quote from: Twig on October 25, 2017, 03:39:28 PM

Your young players are content to take decent money with big English clubs who don't use them instead of going over the channel and finding a regular gig. It's brilliant to see the one lad going over to Dortmund. It would be a shame if Brewster and Fodem spend their late teens and early 20s playing in reserve matches, rather than playing against serious competition in France, Portugal, Holland, Belgium, or even Germany.

By the way, England looked brilliant again.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

mrmicawbers

The problem with these very good youth players is they won't get a decent run in their in many cases Premier League teams.They just won't risk their results.To much of a resting on it.These clubs want all the young talent so no one else can have them and pay top dollar in terms of wages and ruin them.We won't have a good National side until something is done about it.They could start by stopping the poaching prior to the youngsters signing their first pro contract.We were very fortunate the Sess boys saw the long game.Most boys and their parents don't so more protection is required IMO.

bog

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 25, 2017, 07:20:29 PM
Quote from: bog on October 25, 2017, 05:02:08 PM

092.gif

Yes sir.

Thanks.

Thank you and good night

092.gif