more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham News 24/10/17

Started by Friendsoffulham, October 24, 2017, 08:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

Podcast: Villain of the Villains

A worrying afternoon for Fulham on Saturday as we fall to our third defeat of the season at Villa Park including a stomach-churning goal from our old friend John Terry.

On tonight's podcast we look back at that defeat and ponder whether Slavisa's lack of plan B without Tom Cairney is really starting to cost this Fulham side. Rumours of discontent are starting to appear amongst fans, and we examine if there's any justification in those.

Moreover we preview the upcoming must-win game against struggling Bolton Wanderers, in which we all unanimously agree that nothing less than three points is satisfactory. Going back to John Terry, we also discuss the players that Fulham fans have loved to hate down the years

As ever, there's time for your questions and insights into the goings on at Fulham FC.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/podcast/2017-10-23-villain-of-the-villains/

Andy S

Why are we fixated with a plan B. There is no reason to believe a total change in play would work any better time than a system that has been worked on in training. You cannot change everything a team and its manager believe in and expect immediate results. I say stick to plan A and work at it until it works. Improvement is the answer

hovewhite

filham

Plan A is rigid and without a fully fit Cairney lacks a really good playmaker, opposing managers now know exactly what to expect from us and are able to apply tactics to nullify our efforts.

Friendsoffulham

Thorsteinsson hat-trick sinks Wolves

Jon Dagur Thorsteinsson scored a hat-trick as Fulham earned a 4-1 Division 2 win over Wolverhampton Wanderers at Telford.

Thorsteinsson curled in a 14th-minute opener from distance but Aaron Collins hammered in a long-range equaliser in the 53rd minute.

Three goals in the final 10 minutes clinched Fulham's victory.

Elijah Adebayo powered in an 82nd-minute header and straight from the restart, Thorsteinsson struck on the rebound before completing his treble with a solo goal in stoppage time.

Wolves, who drop to 10th, next take on Division 2 leaders Middlesbrough at the Riverside Stadium on Sunday 29 October, while seventh-placed Fulham host Norwich City at Motspur Park on Friday 27 October.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/500037

Andy S

Ever since I have watched football a team that does well in a season gets found out in the next one. I have always thought that managers and coaches will get found out to a degree. But it is about improvement and not throwing the baby out with the dirty bathwater

Friendsoffulham

Thorsteinsson treble trounces Wolves

Jon Dagur Thorsteinsson's fantastic hat-trick helped Fulham under 23's to a resounding 4-1 win over their Wolves counterparts in Telford last night.

The Icelandic winger continued his rich vein of form for Peter Grant's side by opening the scorer inside 15 minutes at the Bucks Head. He cut into the box from the left wing and engineered enough room for a shot, which flew into the top right corner – leaving Wolves goalkeeper Harry Burgoyne grasping at thin air. Thorsteinsson might have doubled Fulham's lead a few minutes later but this time his composure deserted him as he lifted an effort from Matt O'Riley's corner high over the crossbar.

In what became a very open contest, Wolves also posed a constant threat. Aaron Collins sent a long-range effort just over the crossbar before Luca Ashby-Hammond, impressive on his U23s debut at just sixteen years old, produced two excellent reaction saves in quick succession to deny Dan Armstrong. The assured Ashby-Hammond also smothered a deflected Christian Herc shot just before half-time to preserve Fulham's advantage.

The home side began the second half at quite a tempo with Armstrong heading wide from Oscar Buur Rasmussen's dangerous cross and it was little surprise when Wolves drew level in the 52nd minute. It took a terrific effort to beat young Ashby-Hammond with Collins' dipping drive from more than 20 yards out rattling the underside of the crossbar on its way in. The Fulham keeper then got a strong hand to Donovan Wilson's angled strike as Wolves looked to move in front.

The game was in the balance until the final ten minutes when Fulham finished off the contest with impressive ruthlessness. A searching pass from Matt O'Riley put Rob Atkinson clear down the left and Elijah Adebyao powered home an excellent header. Almost straight from the restart, Fulham had a third. Michael Elstone could consider himself unfortunate not to get on the scoresheet himself, with his strike rattling the woodwork but Thorsteinsson reacted quickest to control the rebound and slot home. Thorsteinsson completed his hat-trick two minutes into stoppage time racing through the remnants of the Wolves defence and deftly dinking the ball over the advancing Burgoyne to put a thoroughly convincing gloss on the scoreline.

WOLVES U23s (4-2-3-1): Burgoyne; Rasmussen (Xavier 85), Breslin, Odoffin, John; Goncalves, Watt (Yang 59); Armstrong, Collins, Herc; Wilson. Subs (not used): Osbourne, Heredia, Finnie.

BOOKED: Odoffin.

GOAL: Collins (53).

FULHAM U23s (4-2-3-1): L. Ashby-Hammond; Jenz, Atkinson, Djalo, Davies; Edun, O'Riley; de la Torre, Thorteinsson, Elstone; Adebayo. Subs (not used): Wickens, Harris , Nabay, Pearce, Kwietniewski.

GOALS: Thorteinsson (14, 83, 90+2), Adebayo (82).

REFEREE: S. Chalkey.

ATTENDANCE: 154.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/10/thorsteinsson-treble-trounces-wolves/

Friendsoffulham

Geoff Eltringham to Referee Fulham v Bolton

October 24, 2017 | By Chris Mann  URL  Championship, Fulham, Geoff Eltringham
Geoff Eltringham will referee Saturday's Sky Bet Championship fixture between Fulham and Bolton at Craven Cottage.

Wanderers go into the game on the back of a 1-1 draw at home to Queens Park Rangers last Saturday, while Fulham were beaten 2-1 at Aston Villa on the same afternoon.

Eltringham, who will take charge of the game, has officiated 12 matches so far this season - issuing 40 yellow cards and no red.

His most recent outing was on October 13, when he was the man in the middle for Birmingham City's 1-0 victory over Cardiff City at St Andrew's. The County Durham official produced three yellow cards in that game, two of which went to members of the home side.

Eltringham's last match in charge of Bolton was on September 9, when they were beaten 3-0 by Middlesbrough in a Championship clash at Macron Stadium. Two cautions were issued that afternoon, including one to Wanderers midfielder Jem Karacan.

The last time he refereed a Fulham fixture was on April 8, as they ran out 3-1 winners over Ipswich Town in a Championship encounter at Craven Cottage. Four players entered the book that day, including Whites trio Scott Malone, Kevin McDonald and Tim Ream.

Below is the full set of officials for Saturday's game between Fulham and Bolton:

Referee: Geoff Eltringham
Assistant Referees: Mark Pottage and Shaun Hudson
Fourth Official: Keith Stroud

https://www.burndenaces.co.uk/2017/10/24/geoff-eltringham-to-referee-fulham-v-bolton.html

Friendsoffulham

Man Of The Match Result

Stefan Johansen has been named as your Man of the Match against Aston Villa after picking up 23 per cent of the vote.

The Norwegian's supreme free-kick levelled the scores just before the break after a John Terry header, but Albert Adomah's 49th minute goal sealed a 2-1 win for Aston Villa. 

Unfortunately he was replaced by Ibrahima Cissé with 17 minutes left to play due to injury but before his departure he made two interceptions and completed 49 passes including seven which were played into the final third of the pitch.

David Button was Johansen's nearest competitor to the accolade, picking up 18 per cent of the vote while Kevin McDonald pipped Ryan Sessegnon to third spot with 13 per cent.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/october/24/man-of-the-match-result-villa

Friendsoffulham

Chelsea loanee Tomas Kalas still believes being at Fulham is the 'perfect scenario' for his career

The loan man last year described staying at Fulham for another season as the 'perfect scenario' and he still believes that despite an indifferent start.

Chelsea loanee Tomas Kalas still believes being at Fulham is the perfect scenario for him and still believes his side are one of the best in the league.

The 24-year-old rejoined the club on loan in the summer having spent the entirety of the last campaign at the Cottage, where he described coming back as being the 'perfect scenario' for him .

13 games into the season and with Fulham 10th, the Czech international still believes that statement and despite the club not playing as well as it has done, Kalas is backing them as one of, if not the best side in the division if they concentrate on what they can do.

When asked if he was still the perfect scenario, he said: "Yes - it's the way I wanted it and it took a bit longer than last season but obviously I wanted it that way.

"Hopefully Fulham wanted it that way too and at the end it would be nice if we could get promoted but we will see what is going to happen.

Fulham's season so far - we take a look at the stats behind the side's start to the Championship
"I would be lying if I said I wasn't frustrated, three games when we conceded goals in the last minute it could have been six points and we could've been somewhere else, but everything is if.

"We just need to stabilise the team and play week-in, week-out the same performances as we can do because it seems like one game we are playing and dominating, like against Nottingham I think we were the better side and then we come back and we can't just keep that level.

"We need to get a few games going for us then I think it will start because we had that run after last season so I'm sure it will come soon and we just need to concentrate on what we can do and not try to do anything else because if we do what we can do we are on the best teams or the best team in the league."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chelsea-loanee-tomas-kalas-still-13803791

Friendsoffulham

Fulham Need to get more Physical

Slipping to a defeat, at the hands of Aston Villa last weekend, was disappointing.

Even more so when you consider that it was Fulham who had the greater share of possession.

But Aston Villa were more clinical than Fulham, in front of goal and that`s why the points were lost.

Following the defeat, our goalkeeper, David Button, had this to say to the media relating to the defeat,

"Away from home teams are going to be strong and physical. We`ve got to stand up to that.

"We are fine on the ball because we have got the quality of players to be that way. But we need to make sure we are hard to beat."

Some fair points from Button there, but what`s the answer to our current ills?

Come January 2018, when the transfer window opens, should Fulham be looking to recruit a more physical presence in the heart of the team?

Your views on the subject matter, in our comments facility, would be most welcome.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=509476#ixzz4wRdO4VdG

YankeeJim

Quote from: hovewhite on October 24, 2017, 09:21:32 AM
more of plan A.

The answer is more cheese. Where would we be without injuries? Yes, all teams have injuries but only to key players? Not so much.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

YankeeJim

Quote from: Friendsoffulham on October 24, 2017, 05:41:56 PM
Chelsea loanee Tomas Kalas still believes being at Fulham is the 'perfect scenario' for his career

The loan man last year described staying at Fulham for another season as the 'perfect scenario' and he still believes that despite an indifferent start.

Chelsea loanee Tomas Kalas still believes being at Fulham is the perfect scenario for him and still believes his side are one of the best in the league.

The 24-year-old rejoined the club on loan in the summer having spent the entirety of the last campaign at the Cottage, where he described coming back as being the 'perfect scenario' for him .

13 games into the season and with Fulham 10th, the Czech international still believes that statement and despite the club not playing as well as it has done, Kalas is backing them as one of, if not the best side in the division if they concentrate on what they can do.

When asked if he was still the perfect scenario, he said: "Yes - it's the way I wanted it and it took a bit longer than last season but obviously I wanted it that way.

"Hopefully Fulham wanted it that way too and at the end it would be nice if we could get promoted but we will see what is going to happen.

Fulham's season so far - we take a look at the stats behind the side's start to the Championship
"I would be lying if I said I wasn't frustrated, three games when we conceded goals in the last minute it could have been six points and we could've been somewhere else, but everything is if.

"We just need to stabilise the team and play week-in, week-out the same performances as we can do because it seems like one game we are playing and dominating, like against Nottingham I think we were the better side and then we come back and we can't just keep that level.

"We need to get a few games going for us then I think it will start because we had that run after last season so I'm sure it will come soon and we just need to concentrate on what we can do and not try to do anything else because if we do what we can do we are on the best teams or the best team in the league."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chelsea-loanee-tomas-kalas-still-13803791

Were these comments before or after Terry skinned him for his goal?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

NogoodBoyo

Quote from: YankeeJim on October 24, 2017, 09:17:51 PM
Quote from: Friendsoffulham on October 24, 2017, 05:41:56 PM

Were these comments before or after Terry skinned him for his goal?
I think old MacDonald was marking Terry.
Nogood "and he had a farm at that, isit" Boyo

kiwian

Enjoyed the video of u23s v Wolves, some great goals, but please what is with that background noise??????
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?