more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Behind Closed Doors Today - Southampton 5 Fulham 1

Started by Horsfield_No9, November 09, 2017, 04:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YoungsBitter

Quote from: BedsFFC on November 10, 2017, 01:23:59 PM
We have some pretty fundamental problems we face both on and off the pitch. There is no denying that at all.

A ball going in our net 5 times against Southampton is the least most important thing we face as a team and a club. Players are naturally competitive and it would have hurt for about 10 seconds and if our coaches are as professional as they clearly are, it would have hurt for about 5 seconds. Of course, as fans, we want to win every game.

The two coaching set up's would have spoken to each other prior to arranging the game and would have explained what each wanted to get out of it. If those criteria fitted with each team, they would have gone ahead on that basis. Without question, each team would have been asked to do certain things in play that would enable them to get most from the session. Winning the match should have been the least most important thing for each side.

Each team would be working on micro-objectives in play. I haven't seen the game but would hope that one of the criteria would have been quick transition from defense to midfield. We would have focused on lots of small things that we are struggling with this season. Only time will tell if it has been useful.

I'm not saying we don't have a problem (we do) and I am not saying I am in any way happy this season (I am not) but our criteria for this game had zero to do with the result.
Our players will play constant small sided games and concede goals. They will be annoyed for seconds. This training session would have been a slightly more competitive version of that.

Nice logical explanation of what was probably discussed and the goals of the exercise. However, from everything I have read, cannot pretend to know from personal experience as I have never played more than Sunday League, that professional players are very confidence driven. I would expect from what we have seen the last few games that confidence is missing from many of the first team and that makes people cautious or timid in their approach, taking the simple option instead of pushing for an attacking but more risky pass. Arguably that is exactly what we have witnessed the last 5 games and its been getting progressively worse.
Therefore getting thumped by Saints has done nothing to help that and has continued the slide. TC was caught out within 2 minutes for the first goal, a perfect example of the impact of low confidence on a previously standout contributor. As has been mentioned elsewhere goal scorers need goals to build confidence and yet again Fonte didnt score. On balance I would have really preferred playing Sutton or Bromley, especially as we rotated the squad after 40 mins anyway.
Quark, strangeness and charm

The Rock

I don't think anyone cared is what it looks like.

Why even have a friendly if you aren't going to participate?

hovewhite

Quote from: Jonnoj on November 10, 2017, 04:50:31 PM
Most worrying thing about that game for me is that after we went 4-0 down Jok took off all the big names. It was 41 mins apparently so made a point of taking them off before half time.  After that we tightened up it seems.
Might suggest that all is not well between the likes of Cairney and Macdonald and the manager?
That could be nearer the truth.

MJG

Quote from: hovewhite on November 11, 2017, 09:24:56 AM
Quote from: Jonnoj on November 10, 2017, 04:50:31 PM
Most worrying thing about that game for me is that after we went 4-0 down Jok took off all the big names. It was 41 mins apparently so made a point of taking them off before half time.  After that we tightened up it seems.
Might suggest that all is not well between the likes of Cairney and Macdonald and the manager?
That could be nearer the truth.
it was an 80 min game so it was HT.
Just the views of a long term fan