watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

“Moneyball”

Started by TXWhite, November 03, 2017, 11:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TXWhite

087.gifAs I seem to recall, one of the main benefits of using a stats based approach is that you get good value for money by unearthing gems vs signing players who are more of a known quantity. Looks like we've got the worst of both worlds, then - we've spent:

£9M on Fonte
£5M on Kamara
£4M on Kebano
£2M on Cisse

Completely mugged off. Tony Khan needs to take a back seat on transfers and leave it to Talbot and the manager - that "world class" model he has built is clearly absolute pony.

Meanwhile Wolves spend less combined on Neves, Jota and Bonatini.

Wearethewhites

Quote from: TXWhite on November 03, 2017, 11:14:59 PM
087.gifAs I seem to recall, one of the main benefits of using a stats based approach is that you get good value for money by unearthing gems vs signing players who are more of a known quantity. Looks like we've got the worst of both worlds, then - we've spent:

£9M on Fonte
£5M on Kamara
£4M on Kebano
£2M on Cisse

Completely mugged off. Tony Khan needs to take a back seat on transfers and leave it to Talbot and the manager - that "world class" model he has built is clearly absolute pony.

I wouldn't trust Talbot either, was got rid of by FFC, then brought back, and then we added his Son. Doesn't help when you have a director making decisions, that's got about >< this much knowledge of the game.

HatterDon

Quote from: Wearethewhites on November 03, 2017, 11:28:11 PM

£9M on Fonte
£5M on Kamara
£4M on Kebano
£2M on Cisse

I wouldn't trust Talbot either, was got rid of by FFC, then brought back, and then we added his Son. Doesn't help when you have a director making decisions, that's got about >< this much knowledge of the game.

Be careful criticizing Fulham directors on FofF. Trust me on this.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Fulham76

Quote from: HatterDon on November 04, 2017, 01:11:31 AM

£9M on Fonte
£5M on Kamara
£4M on Kebano
£2M on Cisse

If you're suggesting they, or their people, read these forums, surely they're big enough to take some honest feedback?

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Fulham76 on November 04, 2017, 09:56:12 AM
Quote from: HatterDon on November 04, 2017, 01:11:31 AM

£9M on Fonte
£5M on Kamara
£4M on Kebano
£2M on Cisse

If you're suggesting they, or their people, read these forums, surely they're big enough to take some honest feedback?

What exactly are these Directors going to do about it if they do read this forum. Send Christian Wolfe down to tell us he is going to take us all for a little ride.
Or is it maybe a joke, it has to be.
The Directors need to wise up and enter the real world of Association Football and inform us how they are going to attempt to get us out of this hole they dug themselves.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

toshes mate

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 04, 2017, 10:02:29 AM
The Directors need to wise up and enter the real world of Association Football and inform us how they are going to attempt to get us out of this hole they dug themselves.
Absolutely Woolly.  Let's have Khan Jnr to explain how 'his team' were sent out after dark and got mugged twice in four days and having checked the stats it was, according to his system, an almost impossible outcome.

hovewhite

Quote from: toshes mate on November 04, 2017, 01:47:15 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 04, 2017, 10:02:29 AM
Absolutely Woolly.  Let's have Khan Jnr to explain how 'his team' were sent out after dark and got mugged twice in four days and having checked the stats it was, according to his system, an almost impossible outcome.
If khan jr doesnt read this forum maybe an email to explain what the hell is going on off the pitch at our club.

Lyle from Hangeland

The big data analytics of sports is here to stay, and will arguably grow as technology grows. That said, it's not an either or proposition, between no stats and stats. The stats guys are supposed to support the manager or general managers in identifying suitable players and possibly assist with squad selection against a particular opponent. It's smart business to try and not to overspend on players. Teams can literally go out of business for mismanaging their player/staff wages. Data on players can help with this by helping properly monetarily value them. Players are assets with a value. Fulham is obviously keeping to a budget and wants to stay within that. Data may also help in exploiting an opponents weakness or understanding our own. Having a football manager who is data illiterate, who can't have knowledge of all players, and who is possibly financially illiterate shouldn't be left alone to make every single decision (I don't mean Jokanovic). This is how many a club has gone to poo.

What Fulham needs and deserves, is the manager needs to trust the stats guys and the stats guys need to understand how to communicate with their manager. This isn't the case at Fulham apparently, which is sad. Baseball and football/soccer are poor comparisons, but what Fulham should strive for is something like what the Houston Astros have (who just won the World Series). They have a highly analytical front office; an owner/chariman who is business/financially experienced just like Khan and who understands the role of data in helping make better decisions; and a field manager who takes the information he is given, understands it, and does the best he can with it, or not, as he sees fit.

The days of football managers making every last decision about their team are just gone. They can't possibly be competent to do everything with so much at stake. Fulham needs a forward thinking manager who is capable of working with an innovative backroom staff, who can also manage and organize players, and bring out their best.