more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Advice for my first visit to Craven Cottage

Started by TexanCottager, November 08, 2017, 11:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mitch

Quote from: TexanCottager on November 09, 2017, 04:24:33 AM
So I was poking around the club ticket site this afternoon, about to book a spot in H5 when I get a personal message alert from this site. A member of this forum has offered to meet me before the match, GIVE me a spare ticket in H6, and show me to the correct entrance!

I can't thank this community enough for such a warm welcome and guidance... I've only been a member for 24 hours.

I will defer to my benefactor to announce himself if he chooses, as I did not ask his permission to make the offer public.

Excellent. Hope you have a great time Texan.

Keynsham

Just take in the surroundings and the atmosphere and enjoy it.  Without a doubt it is the best ground that I have ever set foot in and it is at it's very best on an Autumnal/Winter weekend when the floodlights come on.

You'll love it.

G_Gribby

I will bring two US Cottagers to the Derby match. One lady from New Jersey and one chap original from Georgia. We have tickets at the Riverside.
Only Sweden has Swedish gooseberries.

filham

Quote from: thebumponleroyshead on November 08, 2017, 06:00:46 PM
The Dove pub, you won't regret it. History, ale, atmosphere. Followed by walk along the Thames then the Crabtree. :54:
Be careful at the pubs, you may not be used to the lovely warm British beer.

filham

The Dove pub, you won't regret it. History, ale, atmosphere. Followed by walk along the Thames then the Crabtree. :54:
Be careful at the pubs, you may not be used to the lovely warm British beer and pints are imperial pints not U.S.measures.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: filham on November 10, 2017, 11:11:00 AM
Be careful at the pubs, you may not be used to the lovely warm British beer.

Try the English beer it's a lot colder and a lot stronger and far better for you. Keep away from the lager, it's nats pee.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

TexanCottager

Ah yes, thanks for the warnings.

One thing I DO know is beer. And while many of your fine English ales are certainly stronger than the piss lager that passes for beer in most of the world, my liver is qualified on even higher ABV American IPAs, Double IPAs, Imperial Stouts, and assorted other strong ales.

Also, I've been privileged to enjoy a drink in a good number of countries by now, and no one has served me a warm beer yet. Cellar temperature is appropriate for many styles. Please continue to excuse the ignorance of the unwashed masses who think beer must be served cold enough to form ice crystals. Most of the swill that lot drink could not be choked down otherwise.

love4ffc

Sorry coming to this conversation late.  Advise from a fellow Yank;
I like what Filham and Southcoastffc have suggested and would make sure you give yourself plenty of time to enjoy everything.  Coming from the Eurostar underground station I would take the Piccadilly line to Earl's Court station.  From there get the District line to Putney Bridge station.  From there it is just a short walk to the Golden Lion.  Some on here will say it's a dump but I enjoyed myself there and found lots of supporters hanging around outside singing pregame. 

From the Golden Lion you will have a fantastic walk through Bishop Park with lots of Fulham and away supporters.  Fantastic walk with a great atmosphere.  If you can get to the Cottage with extra time so you can visit the gift shop and have a pint.  Also, don't forget to purchase a TOOFIF magazine outside the stadium.   

After the game, walk through Bishop Park again only this time turn right and walk across the Putney Bridge to the Rocket for your after match pint.  Great atmosphere and pretty good burger to boot. 

Anyway, that's my two pence  082.gif
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

alfie

If you get in the Hammersmith be prepared to jump up and every time we get a throw in or make any movements towards the goal, that is why I have now moved to Putney end as my old legs can't handle Hammersmith any more, and it's a good view
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Jims Dentist

Quote from: Twig on November 08, 2017, 05:02:26 PM
You will probably arrive at Hammersmith Station as it is far better served than Putney.  Start by walking down Fulham Palace Road then turn left into Chancellors Road and follow the road down to the River Thames.  You can then walk along the riverside path to the Crabtree which is the nicest of the local pubs.  From there it is a short walk to the ground.  The Hammersmith End has the best atmosphere but don't take a row that is too low i.e. near ground level; the view is not as good.  However the sides, Riverside or Johnny Haynes stands will offer a better view of the action at both ends especially if you are near the centre.  It depends whether atmosphere or view take precedence.

After the game I strongly recommend a walk back along the river all the way under the beautiful old Hammersmith suspension bridge to a pub called the Dove.  It is an old and very historic pub where the words to Rule Brittania were penned and where Charles II courted Nell Gwynne.  It also does decent after match food.
Don't be tempted to go in The Chancellors.
The beer is crap and the manager is a miserable old git with disgusting teeth.

Delboy

Love you to post on how your day goes TC. Please share your thoughts with us on a very special day. COYW.

Woolly Mammoth

Don't forget to wipe your boots when you leave the Golden Lion.

Never forget your Roots.

King_Crud

Get to the ground early and have a pint at the ale tent, it's located on the river, at the corner of Hammersmith and Riverside stands

TexanCottager

Quote from: Delboy on November 12, 2017, 07:31:30 PM
Love you to post on how your day goes TC. Please share your thoughts with us on a very special day. COYW.

Yes, I will definitely follow up and let everyone know how many of the suggestions here I was able to accomplish!

mrmicawbers

I sit in the Johnny Haynes stand.Interested to know if you can use the real ale stand in the Riverside if you are sitting in the Hammersmith End?

King_Crud

Quote from: mrmicawbers on November 14, 2017, 06:58:56 PM
I sit in the Johnny Haynes stand.Interested to know if you can use the real ale stand in the Riverside if you are sitting in the Hammersmith End?

yes, it's all open, just walk towards the river

flyingfish

Quote from: King_Crud on November 15, 2017, 07:53:27 AM

Really?how do you get to it?once your in jh theres no way out

Twig

Quote from: flyingfish on November 15, 2017, 09:25:38 AM

It isn't in the JH stand it is in the corner (not the side) of the ground by the river.  I have an ST on that side of the Hammersmith stand and can access it easily.

flyingfish

Quote from: Twig on November 15, 2017, 10:47:21 AM
Quote from: flyingfish on November 15, 2017, 09:25:38 AM

It isn't in the JH stand it is in the corner (not the side) of the ground by the river.  I have an ST on that side of the Hammersmith stand and can access it easily.

I know where it is but King Crud suggests that JH ticket holders can access it. There's no way out of JH at the Hammersmith end is there, to access the beer tent? I have always thought once you were in JH, there's no way out.

Woolly Mammoth

There is no way out going by what my mate told me when he got locked in the JH Stand most of one season, as they thought he would not return for the next home game.

Never forget your Roots.