watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Advice for my first visit to Craven Cottage

Started by TexanCottager, November 08, 2017, 11:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southcoastffc

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

8MPW1

I know the thread isn't even a year old, but any additional advice for this season? We are attending the Crystal Palace opener in a few weeks. We are a mid-30s couple taking our 18 year old nephews on a trip before they go off to school in the fall. We'll be sitting about halfway up H4 as we prefer a lively atmosphere and want to be proper fans while we visit. Am I safe in assuming we won't have any problems getting those around us to help with what to sing and shout?

From the input in the thread, the very tentative and flexible itin I've got sketched out is... train to Putney Bridge, pints at the Golden Lion then chips at Fishers, walkthrough the park to the ground. Post match stroll north to Crabtree for a few and then on to the train again.

HV71

Cracking afternoon ahead and your nephews can enjoy a pint as well !!!

Maidstone Lee

Quote from: Jims Dentist on November 12, 2017, 06:53:00 PM
Quote from: Twig on November 08, 2017, 05:02:26 PM
You will probably arrive at Hammersmith Station as it is far better served than Putney.  Start by walking down Fulham Palace Road then turn left into Chancellors Road and follow the road down to the River Thames.  You can then walk along the riverside path to the Crabtree which is the nicest of the local pubs.  From there it is a short walk to the ground.  The Hammersmith End has the best atmosphere but don't take a row that is too low i.e. near ground level; the view is not as good.  However the sides, Riverside or Johnny Haynes stands will offer a better view of the action at both ends especially if you are near the centre.  It depends whether atmosphere or view take precedence.

After the game I strongly recommend a walk back along the river all the way under the beautiful old Hammersmith suspension bridge to a pub called the Dove.  It is an old and very historic pub where the words to Rule Brittania were penned and where Charles II courted Nell Gwynne.  It also does decent after match food.
Don't be tempted to go in The Chancellors.
The beer is crap and the manager is a miserable old git with disgusting teeth.

Really?? The Chancellors is a great little pub, a little crowded, but the beer has always been good and bar staff very friendly. The manager always talkative and put on free food before the Play-off final.
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

Vinnieffc

Quote from: Maidstone Lee on July 23, 2018, 04:56:10 PM
You will probably arrive at Hammersmith Station as it is far better served than Putney.  Start by walking down Fulham Palace Road then turn left into Chancellors Road and follow the road down to the River Thames.  You can then walk along the riverside path to the Crabtree which is the nicest of the local pubs.  From there it is a short walk to the ground.  The Hammersmith End has the best atmosphere but don't take a row that is too low i.e. near ground level; the view is not as good.  However the sides, Riverside or Johnny Haynes stands will offer a better view of the action at both ends especially if you are near the centre.  It depends whether atmosphere or view take precedence.

After the game I strongly recommend a walk back along the river all the way under the beautiful old Hammersmith suspension bridge to a pub called the Dove.  It is an old and very historic pub where the words to Rule Brittania were penned and where Charles II courted Nell Gwynne.  It also does decent after match food.

Really?? The Chancellors is a great little pub, a little crowded, but the beer has always been good and bar staff very friendly. The manager always talkative and put on free food before the Play-off final.

Chancellors was my local for 7 years.  Great little pub. Friendly bar staff and locals.  Beer's fine. Fans more than welcome.  What else do you want?

8MPW1

"Beer's fine" = good enough for my list... Thanks!

Jims Dentist

Quote from: Maidstone Lee on July 23, 2018, 04:56:10 PM

We all have our own perceptions, but I must say I always found the lager warm and for a back street pub expensive.
As for the Manager, Jim, he can't take a bit of banter back and he seriously needs to get his teeth seen to.

mrmicawbers

Don't drink in there myself,but a lot of Fulham supporting pals do and speak very highly of it.

Dr Know

The opening scene from Saturday night fever  , John Travolta with the paint tin of,  was shot outside the chancellors !

Jims Dentist

Quote from: Dr Know on July 25, 2018, 09:50:07 PM
The opening scene from Saturday night fever  , John Travolta with the paint tin of,  was shot outside the chancellors !
I believe there was an attempted egging there once Dr.

8MPW1

Wanted to report back and give thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. Despite the crazy District line mess on Saturday (it took us 45 mins and 5, FIVE!!!, different trains to make it from Gloucester Road to Putney Bridge. They kept changing service and we crossed the platform at Earl's Court 2x) we had a great time. Walked by the Kings Arms (wish we would have stopped) to go to a absolutely packed Golden Lion, which we skipped since I had to pick up tickets at the trailer outside the ground. Stopped at Fishers for a few bags of cod and chips which were a huge hit. Fantastic walk through the park to the ground. Few pre-game beers along the river watching the end of the Spurs match.

Fantastic seats in the middle of H4 with a great first half atmosphere. We picked up most of the songs quickly and tried to help all we could. The 2nd half was obviously a little more subdued, but still a great time. Post match walk to the Crabtree for a couple beers and then back on the District line from Hammersmith.

Thanks again to all. It was definitely one of the highlights of our London trip and created a few new fans in the process.

Barrett487

Y'know 8MPW1, i'm wondering whether there should be a sticky guide for first time 'long distance' fans. When i clicked on this thread i expected Texas Cottager to be spouting lyrically about his/her wondrous experiences.

Glad you enjoyed the occasion  049:gif