watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Like the 1950's

Started by bog, November 22, 2017, 01:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

4-5 what a scoreline. Scruffy silver surfers like me will recall this type of result common place in the long gone 1950's.  One season we beat Swansea at home 7-3 and 5-4 at Vetch Field. Some may not like this type of result but I love 'em! Attacking football depends on your ability to score the goals and last night against one of the league's form sides it worked.   :clap_hands: :yay: 049:gif

Thank you and good night

092.gif

Woolly Mammoth

and a very good night to you bog.
Brian Clough once said, footballs a simple game played by working class people, and the object of the exercise is to score more goals than the opposition.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Mince n Tatties

It reminded me of Tim Gudgin who died last week, reading out on Grandstand... East Fife 4 Forfar 5.

Fulham1959

"In the league match between Forfar Athletic and East Fife on Wednesday, 22 April 1964, the result was Forfar 5, East Fife 4."

As posted on another thread, I was at Birmingham in October 1968 to witness B'Ham 5-4 Fulham.  Fulham had been down 3-0 at Half Time and Jimmy Greenhoff scored 4 for B'Ham that day.

Mince n Tatties

So it was the other way round then 1959.
Eric Morecambe used to go on about it as 4-5.

bog

Not a 5-4 but a 4-3 at Spurs. February '66. 3-0 down came back to 3-3 and lose 4-3 and I think all the goals were in the first half. There a photo of a very young Les Barrett scoring.

092.gif 

filham

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 22, 2017, 01:31:52 PM
Brian Clough once said, footballs a simple game played by working class people, and the object of the exercise is to score more goals than the opposition.
That may be difficult to translate to some of our modern non Brtiish managers

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: filham on November 22, 2017, 02:48:18 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 22, 2017, 01:31:52 PM
That may be difficult to translate to some of our modern non Brtiish managers

You can say that again, Cloughie would have made mincemeat out of them. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Can you imagine a match in those old days when at half time we had registered but one shot on target. Goalkeepers' pay would have been reduced below the normal £20 per week.