watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Where's the rivalry between Crystal Palace and Brighton come from

Started by General, November 29, 2017, 11:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

If my memory serves me correct, all I can remember is, in 1976 in a Cup Match, Brian Horton had to retake a penalty and he missed, and Albion lost, and Alan Mullery was Manager of Brighton & Hove Albion, and Terry Venables was Manager of Palace,  and that day Alan Mullery made a two fingered gesture at Crystal Palace supporters over something during or after the match, between the two sides. I believe he was fined by the FA over this incident. Aledgedly Mullery has coffee thrown at him by Palace fans, and he threw some money he took out of his pocket saying words to the effect that, that was all they were worth.
He then made a statement in a post match interview berating the referee who he accused of costing Albion the match.
He then went on to slag the Palace fans in a fit of temper. But the whole scenario goes back further than that, many years before, it's just that Alan Mullery because he was angry and probably over reacted fanned the flames even more.
Obviously there is more to it than that, but the memory fades.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

RaySmith

Local rivals, who've often played each other over the years  -Brighton's not that far from Croydon.
And some needle over incidents as mentioned above.

hovewhite

the OP thats about spot on also led to believe personal insults between mullers and venables,made worse by the poyet regime at brighton over someone having a dump from brighton on the palace changing room floor a few years ago and leaving it there.

bog

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 29, 2017, 11:51:20 PM
If my memory serves me correct, all I can remember is, in 1976 in a Cup Match, Brian Horton had to retake a penalty and he missed, and Albion lost, and Alan Mullery was Manager of Brighton & Hove Albion, and Terry Venables was Manager of Palace,  and that day Alan Mullery made a two fingered gesture at Crystal Palace supporters over something during or after the match, between the two sides. I believe he was fined by the FA over this incident. Aledgedly Mullery has coffee thrown at him by Palace fans, and he threw some money he took out of his pocket saying words to the effect that, that was all they were worth.
He then made a statement in a post match interview berating the referee who he accused of costing Albion the match.
He then went on to slag the Palace fans in a fit of temper. But the whole scenario goes back further than that, many years before, it's just that Alan Mullery because he was angry and probably over reacted fanned the flames even more.

You are right here Woolly. What I find staggering is that Alan Mullery ended up as Palace manager! He faced a constant barrage of abuse and one day was attacked on his way to his car.

092.gif

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: RaySmith on November 30, 2017, 12:40:32 AM
Local rivals, who've often played each other over the years  -Brighton's not that far from Croydon.
And some needle over incidents as mentioned above.

That is something that generally winds me up when people seem to completely overlook that fact you mention .
Its only about 45 miles . Before Crawley joined the league Palace was Brightons nearest club, marginally nearer than Pompey who draw their support from completely different areas .Theres also a big crossover with support in places like Haywards Heath & Crawley, worked with some Palace fans from there & they had loads of 'banter' with Brighton pals.

Lighthouse

Yes I am afraid it simply they are the nearest club and as such are local rivals.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Holders

When I worked in Crawley, everyone seems to be a Palace fan or a Brighton fan. Something to do with the A23 and the railway, I suppose.

That was before the Mullery incident.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Keynsham

Woolly has it. 

Plus there is a vast expanse of land (pre-Crawley Town) through Surrey and Sussex where there are no other sides around.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bog on November 30, 2017, 08:24:35 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 29, 2017, 11:51:20 PM

You are right here Woolly. What I find staggering is that Alan Mullery ended up as Palace manager! He faced a constant barrage of abuse and one day was attacked on his way to his car.

092.gif

That is correct bog, they made his life a misery, he was in fear of his safety. I am surprised he took the job, and I am surprised they offered it to him.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: hovewhite on November 30, 2017, 07:42:39 AM
the OP thats about spot on also led to believe personal insults between mullers and venables,made worse by the poyet regime at brighton over someone having a dump from brighton on the palace changing room floor a few years ago and leaving it there.

Blimey Its one thing to have a dump on the dressing room floor, but leaving it there is out of order. I was told by an associate some time ago that Palaces toilet and ablution facilities were pre 19th Century and outdated, but I didn't realise it had reached to that extent.
I hope it's not still there, and somebody has shovelled it up, as Roy wouldn't appreciate having to step over it.

Never forget your Roots.

SP

Seem to recall a stabbing on the railway somewhere around East Croydon or Purley area. East Croydon in those days had very little police presence on a matchday so ideal for those people looking to start trouble.