News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Can no-one write bl00dy English anymore?!

Started by Scrumpy, February 05, 2010, 01:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrumpy

>:( I'm sorry for this rant which is barely Fulham related. I can fully understand, and accept, small errors in spelling and grammar from posters on this board. We're from a massive cross-section of backgrounds and ages. I cannot believe, however, that Fulham do not have some kind of 'in house' proof-reader who checks their website articles before they are uploaded on-line. I seem to spot errors on an almost daily basis.

Roy said:
"If we get something from the game and then something from the game against Burnley we'd of started February well and once more nosing towards the top end of the table and leaving the bottom end of the table behind us."

More and more people seem to be writing "we should of" when they mean "we should have" (or more accurately "we should've"). I wouldn't normally mind, but hearing about some of the books that Roy has read in his day, I am sure he would be mortified to see these simple errors attributed to him.

Sorry if some of you think I am making a fuss over nothing. Just pass on by and let me froth at the mouth in my own little corner!! >:( >:( >:(
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

The Doctor

The funny thing is, when this gets mentioned on TIFF the offending article is edited shortly afterwards.  Maybe FFC are saving on proof-readers by getting us to do it for them?

blingo

Scrumpy

dannydog

CorkCity

"don't dwell on reality ,it will only keep you from greatness"

Scrumpy

Chopper

My Dad never let me get away with saying "Should of" without taking the opportunity to remind me it was "should have son, get it right". Used to drive me mad at the time, but with hindsight at least I get it right now. It didn't stop me from getting it wrong at the time but now I can't fail but think exactly the same whenever I hear or read the same phrase. It takes a mighty effort for me to stop saying the same thing my Dad used to say. Maybe I should just give in to my inner grammar-nazi!  ;)
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

cebu

Quote from: Chopper on February 05, 2010, 05:15:55 PM
Maybe I should just give in to my inner grammar-nazi!  ;)

Yes, giving in to temptation is good. Just ask John Terry.

Lighthouse

The problem is that English and its usage changes. Besides, on an MB we are not writing a formal letter but communicating a thought. I have had to deal with so many business people who know nothing of punctuation that I really don't care anymore.

We live in a Country where people say Haitch for the letter H. So I am passed caring.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

EdenRob

Quote from: Lighthouse on February 05, 2010, 07:13:50 PM
The problem is that English and its usage changes. Besides, on an MB we are not writing a formal letter but communicating a thought. I have had to deal with so many business people who know nothing of punctuation that I really don't care anymore.

We live in a Country where people say Haitch for the letter H. So I am passed caring.

This is one of my pet hates and let people know it too. I'm often accused of being a pedant or a language fascist but I don't care. Language does change but there are certain rules which need to be kept in order for it to work at all. Scrumpy, I 'm with you!

Steve_orino

...and how is this Fulham related?  ;)

Should have posted this in the 'mercans section...we're the ones that need the English lesson!
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

scotty

Apologies, I know I am at fault many times. All message boards are full of them though  ;)

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Lighthouse on February 05, 2010, 07:13:50 PM

Guilty as charged  on the Haitch thing, but i'm from a London council estate, and that's how people speak. I'm not ashamed of where i come from or how i speak, though i wish i wasn't on a council estate and had been brought up speaking the Queens English, but even if i won tonights 85 million euro jackpot i wouldn't have the big long word beginning with E that i wont even begin to try to spell lessons to speak proper, my best mates are from Northolt , and i wouldn't suddenly ditch them and pretend to be a toff, infact i'm rather proud of my London accent, the only thing i would change is i fecking swear to much. Saying that i really hate the way youngsters now say innit and bred and blood, but i really dont count that as an English thing.