watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-

Started by bog, December 16, 2017, 09:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Who else recalls the totally unexpected 4-1 away win at Roker Park in the FA cup 3rd round in January 1969? Us just relegated and them Div 1. Unknown Brendan Mullen scored two and appeared on the Big Match the next day. I would settle for that scoreline today.... 

Thank you and good night

092.gif

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bog on December 16, 2017, 09:47:47 AM
Who else recalls the totally unexpected 4-1 away win at Roker Park in the FA cup 3rd round in January 1969? Us just relegated and them Div 1. Unknown Brendan Mullen scored two and appeared on the Big Match the next day. I would settle for that scoreline today.... 

Thank you and good night

092.gif

Good night and thank you.  049:gif  092.gif

Yes I remember that day.
Correct me if I am wrong, but was that Brendan Mullen's debut game along side Ivan Murray who were both signed from the same club.
Because ironically neither lasted very long in the first team, and seem to dissapear just as fast as they appeared, and were never heard of again.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Fernhurst

I looked forward to that interview so much . Jimmy Hill interviewed Brendan, the lad was so nervous it didn't really go well with Jimmy having to do the majority of the talking and the lads accent was so strong he struggled.
I do remember him claiming both goals were volley's ..... were they?.

Funny what you remember....... I thought Jimmy worked for BBC and Brian Moore did The Big Match on ITV.... Maybe he was on Match of the Day as well?
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Woolly Mammoth

Yes it was rather an awkward interview.
I vaguely remember Brendan Mullen being asked if he meant to score one of the goals the way he did.
Which was rather a scuff or a miskick and he replied that he did mean it.
But anyone watching could see it was a bit of a fluke, but he can be forgiven for that.
He was a hero for one day, and that was his moment of fame really, as he seemed to dissapear off the face of the earth after that.

Never forget your Roots.

bog

Quote from: Fernhurst on December 16, 2017, 09:58:39 AM
I looked forward to that interview so much . Jimmy Hill interviewed Brendan, the lad was so nervous it didn't really go well with Jimmy having to do the majority of the talking and the lads accent was so strong he struggled.

Funny what you remember....... I thought Jimmy worked for BBC and Brian Moore did The Big Match on ITV.... Maybe he was on Match of the Day as well?

Jimmy worked for both I think. I recall the lad was really tongue tied. Never forget these things do you.

092.gif

bog

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 16, 2017, 09:55:41 AM
Quote from: bog on December 16, 2017, 09:47:47 AM

Thank you and good night

092.gif

Yes it was his debut, and that Ivan. Brendan was famous for a day but I think he did well in Irish football.

Good night and thank you.  049:gif  092.gif

Yes I remember that day.
Correct me if I am wrong, but was that Brendan Mullen's debut game along side Ivan Murray who were both signed from the same club.
Because ironically neither lasted very long in the first team, and seem to dissapear just as fast as they appeared, and were never heard of again.

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

not that match but not forgetting our very own Jimmy Dunne pulling his pants down & showing his derrier to all the Sunderland fans for all the flack that they were giving him!

COYW!

bog

Woolly, yes he and Ivan did make their debuts. Brendan did well in Irish football later on. But that interview was not the most flowing.

092.gif

bog

Quote from: AnotherVicHalomLoveChild on December 16, 2017, 10:21:05 AM
not that match but not forgetting our very own Jimmy Dunne pulling his pants down & showing his derrier to all the Sunderland fans for all the flack that they were giving him!

COYW!

I had forgotten that! I recall United's keeper David Gaskell doing likewise and Ian Wright also when going on as sub to annoy Bruce Rioch!

Woolly Mammoth

COYW!

Talking about Jimmy Dunne. Can you remember him and Alan Mullery in the 70s during the Home match v Brighton & Hove Albion, when we scored 5 goals.
John Mitchell had just scored at the Hammy end, and Mullers who was Captain I believe, and Dunne were swoping punches on the halfway line, while the rest of the team were congratulating Mitch.
Fortunately none of the Officials spotted it. Or maybe they just didn't want to spot it. Thank goodness they didn't.

Never forget your Roots.

bog

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 16, 2017, 10:41:26 AM

COYW!

Talking about Jimmy Dunne. Can you remember him and Alan Mullery in the 70s during the Home match v Brighton & Hove Albion, when we scored 5 goals.
John Mitchell had just scored at the Hammy end, and Mullers who was Captain I believe, and Dunne were swoping punches on the halfway line, while the rest of the team were congratulating Mitch.
Fortunately none of the Officials spotted it. Or maybe they just didn't want to spot it. Thank goodness they didn't.

No I was not there for that! They must not have not got on at all then.

092.gif

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bog on December 16, 2017, 11:48:11 AM

COYW!

No I was not there for that! They must not have not got on at all then.

092.gif

Well on that day, I was sitting on the Cottage Balcony as I had complimentary tickets from a member of staff who was working there at the time.
When I asked him at a later date if he knew what happened, he said that apparently, Mitchell's goal came from a corner Fulham had won. But aledgedly Mullers has instructed Dunne to stay back at the halfway line in case Brighton cleared the corner and countered.
It appears Jimmy Dunne disobeyed the instruction or an instruction by Mullers which ended up in this disagreement which clearly got out of hand, and maybe they did not get on that well anyway, and this was the tipping point.
But it was bizarre to see two of our own players having handbags at ten paces.

Never forget your Roots.

keith

COYW!

I think Muller's had a go at Dunne because soon after Mitchell's goal Brighton equalised. The goal was scored by their Centre Forward who Dunne was supposed to be shadowing, hence being told to stay back at our corner. Luckily, we won 5_1. I  think their CF was called Ken Beamish ???..

Peabody

Quote from: Fernhurst on December 16, 2017, 09:58:39 AM

Jimmy started his TV career on London Weekend prior to moving to the Beeb. Hence him being the analyst on The Big Match with Brian Moore.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: keith on December 16, 2017, 01:01:21 PM

COYW!

I think Muller's had a go at Dunne because soon after Mitchell's goal Brighton equalised. The goal was scored by their Centre Forward who Dunne was supposed to be shadowing, hence being told to stay back at our corner. Luckily, we won 5_1. I  think their CF was called Ken Beamish ???..

Yes, what you have explained sounds more like it.
The name Beamish rings a bell. But I cannot place him.

Never forget your Roots.

keith

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 16, 2017, 01:48:31 PM
Quote from: keith on December 16, 2017, 01:01:21 PM

COYW!

Yes, what you have explained sounds more like it.
The name Beamish rings a bell. But I cannot place him.
No, I can't remember what he looks like. I must look this up.