watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

New stand

Started by DevonFFC, December 13, 2017, 10:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmicawbers

Can't see the problem myself.If the Chairman want to stick his hand in his large pockets and fund the new stand himself I'm all for it.From what I can see the Matchday and Non Matchday income with the new design will significantly increase what the club will receive compared to the previous design.The main reason I would like to see it completed beside the raised revenues would make sure that our place at Craven Cottage would be secure for another generation .

MJG

Quote from: Statto on December 17, 2017, 06:21:15 PM
Quote from: b+w geezer on December 17, 2017, 05:43:38 PM
Quote from: Statto on December 17, 2017, 02:53:31 PM
and the total sterilisation of the matchday experience?
This I don't get. Why so? how so? The stand facing the pitch is conventional, never mind what's at the back of it. During the 90 mins people like us will still be watching the pitch (and groaning). What aspect of the proposals makes that improbable?

In fairness the expression "total sterilisation" was unduly strong. As I said in my first post on this threads I'm in two minds about the stand overall, having both positive and negative views. If the design is such that fans can sit in the stand and not be conscious of the flats, hopsitality and other non-football functionality behind them, as you seem to envisage, then fine. My expectation is I will feel more like I'm in a shopping centre than a football stadium, but given that's based on just a few photos of the model, I admit it may well be wrong.
I think when you look at the plans you can see that the far ends where the apartments are planned to be will not be overlooking the pitch, they have no windows that direction. That area is actually levelk with the seating at the Putney and Hammersmith ends. Having sat at Villa looking at the stand i'd hate Fulham to have those kind of seats.
Then when looking forward to the possible Putney/Hammersmith end developments that future planning has taken into account they are dead areas as such.

Just the views of a long term fan

DevonFFC

Quote from: MJG on December 17, 2017, 06:33:24 PM
Quote from: Statto on December 17, 2017, 06:21:15 PM
Quote from: b+w geezer on December 17, 2017, 05:43:38 PM
Quote from: Statto on December 17, 2017, 02:53:31 PM
and the total sterilisation of the matchday experience?
This I don't get. Why so? how so? The stand facing the pitch is conventional, never mind what's at the back of it. During the 90 mins people like us will still be watching the pitch (and groaning). What aspect of the proposals makes that improbable?

In fairness the expression "total sterilisation" was unduly strong. As I said in my first post on this threads I'm in two minds about the stand overall, having both positive and negative views. If the design is such that fans can sit in the stand and not be conscious of the flats, hopsitality and other non-football functionality behind them, as you seem to envisage, then fine. My expectation is I will feel more like I'm in a shopping centre than a football stadium, but given that's based on just a few photos of the model, I admit it may well be wrong.
I think when you look at the plans you can see that the far ends where the apartments are planned to be will not be overlooking the pitch, they have no windows that direction. That area is actually levelk with the seating at the Putney and Hammersmith ends. Having sat at Villa looking at the stand i'd hate Fulham to have those kind of seats.
Then when looking forward to the possible Putney/Hammersmith end developments that future planning has taken into account they are dead areas as such.

Do you have a link for these plans

MJG

All 201 planning documents are available on the Hammersmith & Fulham planning site.
I'm working on apaper which will give the main points of interest I think fans want to know and  also the club are doing a digital document for fans to look at after suggesting it at last week's FST meeting.

SuffolkWhite

All looks good to me, and as mentioned above if it goes ahead then Craven Cottage is secure for generations to come.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Riversider

Would love to see work on this stand get under way next year, but if this season carries on in the same downward spiral as it has been going, and the gates continue  to dwindle then I fully expect before June 2018 is out , that the FST are given some lame excuse again as to why there is another delay (who could forget "They've forgotten to order the steel" )
We need a good transfer window, the team to finish with a flourish,  supporters to come flooding back, then and only then can I see this project starting next year.

MJG

Quote from: Riversider on December 18, 2017, 09:08:34 AM
Would love to see work on this stand get under way next year, but if this season carries on in the same downward spiral as it has been going, and the gates continue  to dwindle then I fully expect before June 2018 is out , that the FST are given some lame excuse again as to why there is another delay (who could forget "They've forgotten to order the steel" )
We need a good transfer window, the team to finish with a flourish,  supporters to come flooding back, then and only then can I see this project starting next year.
IF all goes to plan with the planning meeting in March and they follow the timetable in the planning application then the Riverside stand should be knocked down in June 2019.
So plenty of time to order steel ;-)

Twig

Have to say I've reached the point where I just want to see the construction work start.  Each set of plans has it's own advantages and disadvantages but none has been dreadful. If the Chairman is happy and ready to press ahead then just do it.

b+w geezer

I'd also be pleased and would wish to encourage, but am prepared for the eventuality that this is an excercise in gaining and retaining planning permission (the latter achieveable by just making a small start) with full-scale go-ahead then able to take place whenever the owner -- whether Khan or a successor -- decides.

flyingfish

Quote from: b+w geezer on December 18, 2017, 09:45:31 AM
I'd also be pleased and would wish to encourage, but am prepared for the eventuality that this is an excercise in gaining and retaining planning permission (the latter achieveable by just making a small start) with full-scale go-ahead then able to take place whenever the owner -- whether Khan or a successor -- decides.

If that's the case they could have just started the old one,rather than go to the expense of preparing a whole new application.

We will find out soon enough if season ticket renewals in the riverside are possible. If they are, then it's not a start until mid 2019 at the earliest.

Riversider

Quote from: MJG on December 18, 2017, 09:25:09 AM
IF all goes to plan with the planning meeting in March and they follow the timetable in the planning application then the Riverside stand should be knocked down in June 2019.

If that's the case then surely we will know by April or May as that's the time that season ticket renewals will have to be sent out and the Riversiders will all have to be rehoused,
So basically 4 months from now we should know whether it's going ahead or not.

MJG

Quote from: Statto on December 18, 2017, 12:40:38 PM
Quote from: Riversider on December 18, 2017, 12:34:33 PM
Quote from: MJG on December 18, 2017, 09:25:09 AM

If that's the case then surely we will know by April or May as that's the time that season ticket renewals will have to be sent out and the Riversiders will all have to be rehoused,
So basically 4 months from now we should know whether it's going ahead or not.

Next summer is 2018
The year we are currently in is 2017
We should find out in April 2019
So 16 months from now
Unless I am really missing something
The work should start in May 2018 if planning is granted in March, but there will be no need to close down the riverside stand until end of 2018/19 season and then the stand is due to be knocked down.

May to June 2018 would mainly be prep work behind the Hammersmith end Concourse
Nov 2018- Apr 2019 would be mainly River works aiming to end in time for knocking stand down.

If we get planning In march and none of it starts next summer then of course something is not right.

b+w geezer

Quote from: flyingfish on December 18, 2017, 12:32:18 PM
If that's the case they could have just started the old one,rather than go to the expense of preparing a whole new application.
The respective looks of the old and new are a matter of taste, but what's for sure is that the new proposal accommodates similar seating capacity but a lot more besides than the old one did. So that's why there's this new bite of the cherry. It's a bite which, however, makes sense whether or not full execution is immediate.

Once permitted, it could be carried out straight away, or it could be made permanent via just making a start and then left for either Khan or a successor to build in full when they chose. The fact that this time it's a scheme of Khan's own devising increases the chances he'll go through with it as soon as poss, but is miles from making that certain.  It could also be a scheme, once permitted, he'd feel would enhance the sale prospectus.

Khan has a complicated land asset, under-exploited, and would (I'm not doubting) sincerely like to establish a way ahead for it. And is doing so.  But this could be with any of three scenarios in mind, that's all. And I wouldn't personally be scandalised if he wasn't sure himself yet which he'll be plumping for.

mrmicawbers

I was surprised to learn that the Riverside only holds 4689 thought it was more than that for some reason.Assume that if it does get redeveloped we will only give the away fans 1800 in the Putney End.This would leave approx 1900 for home fans which would be plenty at this time.

flyingfish

Quote from: mrmicawbers on December 18, 2017, 08:50:11 PM
I was surprised to learn that the Riverside only holds 4689 thought it was more than that for some reason.Assume that if it does get redeveloped we will only give the away fans 1800 in the Putney End.This would leave approx 1900 for home fans which would be plenty at this time.

Interesting thought. Talk g over the Putney end should mean that home attendance levels are maintained.

Keynsham

I've decided that I am a little wary (massive over statement there, but I can't think how else to say it) about this now, despite the whole thing looking great.  I could be totally wrong as I don't know how these things work, but is there anything about the precedent of housing being built on the site making it easier to obtain further planning permission in the future?

I don't for one second think that is Kahn's intention, I'm thinking more about future owners of the club and the land that comes with it.

For once, I would quite like it if somebody told me that I was totally wrong and need to hush my scaremongering mouth.  049:gif

MJG

Quote from: Keynsham on December 19, 2017, 09:37:40 AM
I've decided that I am a little wary (massive over statement there, but I can't think how else to say it) about this now, despite the whole thing looking great.  I could be totally wrong as I don't know how these things work, but is there anything about the precedent of housing being built on the site making it easier to obtain further planning permission in the future?

I don't for one second think that is Kahn's intention, I'm thinking more about future owners of the club and the land that comes with it.

For once, I would quite like it if somebody told me that I was totally wrong and need to hush my scaremongering mouth.  049:gif
We (FST) have looked into this and it does not change the usage of the land from what it was before. Its a difficult subject to get to grips with and we would all prefer no flats on the land, but rightly or wrongly this is the route they are taking.Remember also there was flats in the previous plan put forward by MAF so its not all down to Khan.

BedsFFC

Question to FST.

If anyone reads my posts (I wouldn't blame you if you didn't) you will understand that I am fairly optimistic about the current owners in the long term.

One little thing is niggling me though. I remember reading a pre-FST meeting post that they were going to raise the issue of why the development of the stand had gone quiet. It certainly coincided with our poor form in the Championship. I did remember posts implying that at that current time, with crowds getting lower that there didn't seem to be much point.

Things lately seem to have really moved at pace. It seems to have coincided with the upturn of form last season when the goal of promotion seems a bit closer.

Do you think that is a coincidence?

MJG

Quote from: BedsFFC on December 19, 2017, 11:48:10 AM
Question to FST.

If anyone reads my posts (I wouldn't blame you if you didn't) you will understand that I am fairly optimistic about the current owners in the long term.

One little thing is niggling me though. I remember reading a pre-FST meeting post that they were going to raise the issue of why the development of the stand had gone quiet. It certainly coincided with our poor form in the Championship. I did remember posts implying that at that current time, with crowds getting lower that there didn't seem to be much point.

Things lately seem to have really moved at pace. It seems to have coincided with the upturn of form last season when the goal of promotion seems a bit closer.

My own opinion is its sort of is and isn't.
IF we had found ourselves getting promoted in the first or second year of being in championship I believe we would now be looking at a building site or almost finished stand. But I also think they were never really happy with the old design anyway which was basically a bolt on around the old stand.
So the extra time if you like has led them to this design, which has been in the works since early to mid this year.
I always think having spoken to the parties they do want to build this thing, but its been a moving project in so many ways. Its this poo or bust time now I reckon.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: MJG on December 19, 2017, 12:00:28 PM
Quote from: BedsFFC on December 19, 2017, 11:48:10 AM
Question to FST.

My own opinion is its sort of is and isn't.
IF we had found ourselves getting promoted in the first or second year of being in championship I believe we would now be looking at a building site or almost finished stand. But I also think they were never really happy with the old design anyway which was basically a bolt on around the old stand.
So the extra time if you like has led them to this design, which has been in the works since early to mid this year.
I always think having spoken to the parties they do want to build this thing, but its been a moving project in so many ways. Its this poo or bust time now I reckon.
And, FWIW, one of the strong themes from yesterday's posting of comments from supporters of Jacksonville Jaguars was that the Khans are deliberate, prudent, cautious but steadfast.  That gives me some hope.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.