more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Worst statues

Started by tommy, December 15, 2017, 03:07:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommy

Fernhurst

Just makes you appreciate how good Johnny's statue is outside our ground, one to be super proud of.

Does anyone know if the same design team were behind the creation of George 's statue. A fitting tribute but not such an impressive effort IMO.

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

The Old Count

I was always disapointed by the reaction to the Jackson statue.  Did I like it? No.  Did I think it was appropriate? No.  Did I think that the Chairman should have been alowed this whim with no fuss, given what he'd done for the club? Yes. 

The reaction to the Jackson statue by a great number of Fulham fans was one if the reasons why Mr Al Fayed decided to pull out of the club.

Woolly Mammoth

The worst Statue I ever saw was Berbatov on the pitch, he actually is responsible for the emergence of walking football, which has brought happiness to a lot of people including himself, especially as he made a very successful career out of it. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Wolf

The Jackson statue should have been destroyed not passed to a museum for enduring ridicule.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

filham

Yes, we are so lucky to have that statue of Haynes, everything about it is so right and it has been put in exactly the right spot. However you do have to ask the question how can we then miss the target by so much with Cohen.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Old Count on December 15, 2017, 12:08:23 PM
I was always disapointed by the reaction to the Jackson statue.  Did I like it? No.  Did I think it was appropriate? No.  Did I think that the Chairman should have been alowed this whim with no fuss, given what he'd done for the club? Yes. 

The reaction to the Jackson statue by a great number of Fulham fans was one if the reasons why Mr Al Fayed decided to pull out of the club.

I am dissapointed if that was the reason Alfayed made his decision.
As I feel it was absurd to place a Statue of MJ in our Football Ground. It left us open to ridicule, of the highest order.
Plus even more important was the fact that it in my opinion was an insult to two of our greatest players and loyal servants, Johnny Haynes and George Cohen.
For those reasons alone it was the right thing to do in removing the Statue.

Never forget your Roots.

Twig

Quote from: filham on December 15, 2017, 12:32:43 PM
Yes, we are so lucky to have that statue of Haynes, everything about it is so right and it has been put in exactly the right spot. However you do have to ask the question how can we then miss the target by so much with Cohen.

Strangely enough I don't think the Cohen statue is a bad statue, just a p1ss poor likeness of the man himself.

Carborundum

He told us we could go to Hell or watch Chelsea if we didn't like it.  Granted given all he did for the club, he earned the right to tell me to go to Hell.  But some things are outside the boundaries of decency.

MikeW

I remember the day that MJ visited: I was in the JH stand and remember shielding my eyes against the sun while my lad - much more savvy than me -  said, "Dad, that really is him!"  I, like quite a few, thought it was a wind up but with MAF beside him (and all the blokes in black suits) soon realised this was for real.  The statue though, oh dear.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

filham

Quote from: Twig on December 15, 2017, 03:13:43 PM
Quote from: filham on December 15, 2017, 12:32:43 PM

Strangely enough I don't think the Cohen statue is a bad statue, just a p1ss poor likeness of the man himself.
If we are just looking for artistic merit then we have no real quibble but our need is to be reminded of one of our best ever and most loyal players.

grandad

It is wonderful to have a statue of George but sadly it looks nothing like him.
Where there's a will there's a wife

The Old Count

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 15, 2017, 12:41:51 PM

As I feel it was absurd to place a Statue of MJ in our Football Ground. It left us open to ridicule, of the highest order.
Plus even more important was the fact that it in my opinion was an insult to two of our greatest players and loyal servants, Johnny Haynes and George Cohen.

It wasn't the sole reason, it was one of the reasons he decided to quit - maybe the tipping point.
As for leaving us open to ridicule - we're big enough to take a bit of ribbing. No one can make you feel ridiculous without your acquiesence.
The statue showed no disrespect to Haynes or anyone else. Just an innocent whim of someone who did a huge amount for the club.

HillingdonFFC

George Cohen statue is awful, bears no resemblance to him whatsoever, looks like Bobby Moore.
Im not sure if its the way its positioned? But the Johnny Haynes one is simply magnificent, how did the same people do the Cohen one ?

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Old Count on December 15, 2017, 07:19:16 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 15, 2017, 12:41:51 PM

It wasn't the sole reason, it was one of the reasons he decided to quit - maybe the tipping point.
As for leaving us open to ridicule - we're big enough to take a bit of ribbing. No one can make you feel ridiculous without your acquiesence.
The statue showed no disrespect to Haynes or anyone else. Just an innocent whim of someone who did a huge amount for the club.

Innocent whim or not, AlFayed should have known better.
We are an English Football Club, not a Walt Disney Park.
If we want to be taken seriously as a Football Club with a unique tradition, then that is not the way to go about it.
Hence why it was ridiculed not only by supporters through the Football League and beyond, but by Fulham supporters also as a laughing stock.
The Statues of JH and GC were there for a reason, as they were both loyal servants throughout their careers to Fulham FC, who both also achieved international status with England, but it was primary because of the way they both served Fulham throughout their footballing careers.
Placing a Statue of MJ in Craven Cottage not only undermined the reason for the presence of our two Fulham Footballing Legends, but was also disrespectful. 

Never forget your Roots.