Started by White Noise, September 18, 2010, 07:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6385452,00.html

Hughes feels hard done by

Cottagers boss questions officials

By Chris Burton  

Last updated: 18th September 2010    

Mark Hughes felt Fulham were denied three points at Blackburn by some questionable refereeing.

The Cottagers picked up a share of the spoils at Ewood Park, from a 1-1 draw, but could have left with much more.

In truth, they were second best for long periods of the game, but defended resolutely.

They found the target during a much-improved second-half showing, as Clint Dempsey powered home a header.

Hughes, though, was left to contemplate what might have been as the opening goal of the game arrived in contentious circumstances.

Fulham keeper Mark Schwarzer appeared to be bundled to the ground as Chris Samba nodded into an empty net after half-an-hour.

Difficult
Hughes felt there was a clear foul on the Aussie shot-stopper and believes the inexperience of the officials on display cost his side.

"It was a foul, that's the top and bottom of it," he said.

"We were disappointed and we felt our second-half performance merited a win. But it's difficult for the referee, I don't think he has refereed a game like that before.

"I think it was only his second game in the Premier League and I feel there was a lot going on off the ball. You need an experienced referee to recognise that and understand what's going on.

"Maybe that's why he missed the challenge on Mark. But we didn't allow that to affect us. We will take the point and carry on."

The stalemate at Ewood Park stretches Fulham's unbeaten start to the season in the league to five games.

Pressure
Hughes accepts that they are yet to hit top gear, but feels steady progress is being made.

"I think in the first half we allowed ourselves to get a little bit penned in and didn't really play our own game," he added.

"It is difficult, Blackburn will always get the ball in the box and make it difficult for you, but we weren't under continuous pressure. I felt the first half was a bit stop-start.

"Obviously we are disappointed with the award of the goal, because it was clearly a foul on Mark Schwarzer. There had been two prior to that that were missed as well. For him to allow play to continue was disappointing, but we picked ourselves up second half.

"I wanted more tempo and I wanted us to play quicker, play our game rather than Blackburn's game. Second half I was pleased with what we produced because we got the ball down and played the ball quickly and scored a great equaliser.

"We created some good chances in and around the box and with a bit more luck we might have nicked it. But it's another away point, which haven't been readily on offer in recent times, and we are still unbeaten, so we have had a good start."

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_report/0,19764,11065_3286156,00.html

Honours even at Ewood

Stalemate as Dempsey cancels out Samba opener

Last updated: 18th September 2010   

Man of the Match: El Hadji Diouf. Drifted from flank to flank and gave Fulham a defensive headache all afternoon.

Goal of the Match: Dempsey's thumping header came at the end of a well-worked move, which saw Carlos Salcido deliver the perfect cross.

Miss of the Match: Nikola Kalinic must wonder how he failed to find the target after running clear in the first half, but he was not the only Rovers player to fluff their lines in front of goal.

Moment of the Match: Mark Schwarzer collided with a Rovers player when Chris Samba glanced home and Fulham were incensed to see the goal given.

Talking point: Should Blackburn be bracing themselves for a long, hard slog or will they come good? Fulham remain unbeaten in the Premier League, but what will their ambition be this season?

Blackburn dominated large parts of their meeting with Fulham, but had to settle for a point in a 1-1 draw.

Rovers can boast a formidable record at Ewood Park under Sam Allardyce and they looked to be on their way to another three points when Chris Samba nodded them in front.

However, they were left to pay the price for failing to turn possession into goals when Clint Dempsey restored parity after the interval and helped to preserve Fulham's unbeaten record in the league.

Rovers started much the brighter and should have been in front when Nikola Kalinic sprang the offside trap, only to then roll the ball past the post.

Blackburn did take the lead, though, on the half-hour mark as Mark Schwarzer collided with traffic as he came to reach a floated free-kick and Samba glanced into an empty net.

Allardyce would have been looking for his side to build on that lead after the break, but instead they conceded an equaliser after 56 minutes as Carlos Salcido whipped over a cross for Dempsey to power a header past Paul Robinson.

Dominant
Blackburn were utterly dominant for much of the opening half, starting when Kalinic won an early free-kick in a dangerous spot right on the corner of the area - another inch and it would have been a penalty - but Fulham were able to clear.

Fulham goalkeeper Schwarzer came close to having a nightmare afternoon with a series of fumbles. The first nearly led to the opening goal but Brede Hangeland managed to head clear off the line after his fellow Norwegian, and good friend, Morten Gamst Pedersen delicately chipped in the loose ball.

Phil Jones hooked over from the ensuing long throw-in and, when Fulham did finally conjure up a meaningful opportunity, Dempsey drifted the direct free-kick well wide.

Mame Biram Diouf looked to be in on goal but his control deserted him at the critical point, and the Senegalese striker then claimed a penalty when he was challenged by Hangeland, though it appeared the big Norwegian just nicked the ball away.

Hangeland was then booked for going through the same player and, from the free-kick, the goal that Blackburn had been threatening finally arrived.

Robinson hoisted the ball high and with Schwarzer again looking uncertain, and some shoving by El-Hadji Diouf not helping Fulham's cause, Samba won the heading lottery to loop the ball into the empty net.

Hughes reacted with anger on the touchline, provoking good-natured jeers from the home crowd, and his mood would not have been improved when Robinson displayed superb agility to turn aside Salcido's impressive curling strike.

Positive
Fulham looked much more positive in the second half and had a chance to get back on terms within seconds of the restart but Simon Davies' direct free-kick was woeful.

Dempsey made no mistake in the 56th minute, however, when Salcido floated across an inviting cross from left, beating Ryan Nelsen to the ball to plant a powerful header past Robinson for the equaliser.

Schwarzer dropped the ball again under pressure from Samba as Blackburn tried to respond and this time referee Anthony Taylor awarded a free-kick when replays showed clearly there had been no foul.

Benjani Mwaruwari came on for Kalinic to make his Blackburn debut and his header down gave Brett Emerton space for a snap-shot but he hit it straight at Schwarzer.

Schwarzer's uncertainty continued to be a problem for the visitors and he was left grateful to his defence for keeping out El-Hadji Diouf after another fumble.

Fulham were lucky to survive again when Salgado whipped a vicious ball across the face of goal, then Danny Murphy tricked the Spanish defender into conceding a free-kick on the edge of his box.

Murphy tried to curl it into the top corner but Robinson never looked worried as it sailed over.

The match might have been there for the taking for either side after that, but fear of defeat won the day as the game drifted into a stalemate.

Blackburn Rovers
Team Statistics
Fulham

1 Goals

1 1st Half Goals

4 Shots on Target

4 Shots off Target

3 Blocked Shots

3 Corners

19 Fouls

4 Offsides

0 Yellow Cards

0 Red Cards

58.1 Passing Success

23 Tackles

73.9 Tackles Success

38.4 Possession

50.5 Territorial Advantage

White Noise

A Fair Result

Saturday 18th September 2010

Mark Hughes' Team remain unbeaten in the Barclays Premier League and Fulham's Manager felt another away point was fully deserved from Saturday's game against Blackburn at Ewood Park.

"I think it was a fair result in the end," Hughes told fulhamfc.com. "I thought we allowed ourselves to get a little bit penned in during the first half and we didn't really play our game.

"Blackburn will always put the ball in the box and make it difficult for you and play on second balls. There wasn't really any momentum for both sides in the first half.

"It was too stop-start for that but obviously we are disappointed with the award of the goal as it was clearly a foul on Mark Schwarzer.

"We picked ourselves up in the second half and I wanted a higher tempo to our play. I wanted us to play the ball quickly, get things moving and play our game rather than Blackburn's game.

"I was pleased with what we produced in the second half. We got the ball down and scored a great equaliser. With a bit more fortune in the second half, when we created some good chances in possession, we could have won it. I think our performance in the second half merited a win.

"It's another away point for us and three from three away games. We remain unbeaten and we're pleased."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/HughesRoversReaction.aspx#ixzz0zuNn9gtg

finnster01

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

White Noise

Blackburn 1 - 1 Fulham

Mark Hughes made some notable changes to his starting line-up to face Blackburn Rovers on Saturday afternoon following last weekend's 2-1 victory over Wolves at the Cottage.

Due to Bobby Zamora's absence through injury, Hughes selected Clint Dempsey and Mousa Dembele to lead Fulham's attack at Ewood Park.

Damien Duff returned from injury to take his place at right midfield as Carlos Salcido made his debut for Fulham at left back. Stephen Kelly was handed a starting role on the opposite flank.

Fulham got Saturday's contest underway on a dry, overcast afternoon in Lancashire and it was a frustrating first 45 minutes for Hughes' side. Within the first minute of play Kelly impeded Kalinic just outside Fulham's area. Pedersen whipped in the free-kick that Hangeland cleared with ease. Long balls into Schwarzer's area were to become the theme of the afternoon at Ewood Park.

After three minutes of play Nelsen delivered the first testing delivery from distance, striking the ball from inside his own half towards Schwarzer's area. The keeper punched the ball clear on the 18 yard line but it was a nervy start for Fulham.

Five minutes later Blackburn tried their luck again and launched the ball towards Fulham's 18 yard line. M. Diouf applied the pressure on Schwarzer and the keeper's punched clearance fell to Pedersen who lofted ball back towards goal. Fortunately Hangeland had read the danger and headed the ball off the line to safety.

Fulham's first sight of goal came after 11 minutes of play after Dempsey won a direct free-kick 25 yards from goal. The US international stepped up to the plate but his right footed drive from the left hand side of the area sailed wide of Robinson's goal.

Opportunities were few and far between for Fulham during the opening exchanges despite the bright promise Duff showed early on down the right flank with a series of teasing runs.

Fulham were finding it difficult to find their natural passing rhythm as the game was constantly interrupted by a flow of free-kicks and set pieces. With every opportunity that came their way, Blackburn looked to apply pressure on Fullham's defence by delivering the ball into the area from distance. Mark Schwarzer was forced to navigate his way through a host of players on every occasion to punch clear of goal.

Damien Duff looked the most likely player to unlock Blackburn's defence but it Mousa Dembele who almost earned Fulham the lead after 21 minutes. The striker picked the ball up on the half way line and sprinted in possession a full forty yards before unleashing a fierce left footed drive just wide of Robinson's goal.

Brede Hangeland produced a stunning sliding tackle inside the area to deny M. Diouf a shot on goal just before the hour mark. Sixty seconds later the Norwegian was adjudged to have fouled the same player on the half way line and was booked by Referee Taylor.

Blackburn took the lead from the resulting set piece but Fulham felt rightfully aggrieved as Schwarzer was clearly impeded in the build up. It was El Hadji Diouf who appeared to charge into Schwarzer as the keeper attempted to punch the free-kick clear 12 yards from goal. The ball fell to Samba who headed into an empty net. Fulham's protestations would not be heard but the evidence was hard to ignore.

Hughes' players picked themselves up and Carlos Salcido almost pulled the game five minutes later with a stunning right footed curling effort from the left hand side of the area. Robinson's save was equally as impressive as the former England international tipped the ball wide of his outside post with a diving save.

Danny Murphy was doing his best to drive Fulham forward in search of an equaliser as Fulham began to take control of possession but half time came too quickly for Hughes' side who were beginning to find their rhythm just before the break.

Mousa Dembele was driving Fulham forward in possession at the start of the second half but after just two minutes of play the striker was fouled by Grella. Dembele was left in pain by the late challenge and to make matters worse Nelsen fouled him again, on the same spot, just a minute later. Dembele was certainly in the wars but the striker's silky skills are matched by a physical presence that is required on occassions such as a trip to Ewood Park.   

It was far from an enthralling spectacle but Fulham were doing their best to get the ball down and play their passing game in the second half.

10 minutes into the second period Hughes' side produced several promising passages of play and how it paid off. After 55 minutes Davies set Salcido free down the left flank and the Mexican's cross to Dempsey in the middle of the box was inch perfect. The striker rose above his marker to head the ball past Robinson. It was just what Fulham deserved.

Following Dempsey's equaliser Fulham took control of the game. Hughes' side were clearly not satisfied with a share of the spoils judging by Salcido and Kelly's attacking intentions down the flanks.

It took Rovers until the 66th minute to find an opening but substitute Emerton's strike from the right hand side of the area was easily held by Schwarzer. However, Emerton's attempt signalled the start of another series of aerial attacks from Blackburn. The home crowd sensed a change in proceedings but Hughes' defence remained resolute under pressure as the final twenty minutes approached.

16 minutes from time Duff opened up Blackburn's defence down the right flank and produced a superb delivery along the six yard line. No one was there to take advantage but the delivery offered hope that a winner could be found by Fulham in the final stages of the game.

Mark Hughes replaced Clint Dempsey with Eddie Johnson for the final 13 minutes of play as the game opened up. Both sides looked capable of producing a winner and Fulham were offered a set piece opportunity with eight minutes left. Danny Murphy won the free-kick but his right footed curling effort just went wide of Robinson's far post.

Fulham were attacking at will in the final minutes and looking to replicate last weekend's late win against Wolves. Hughes replaced Danny Murphy with Zoltan Gera for the final two minutes of the game but there was no way through Blackburn's defence despite a sterling late effort.

Fulham rightfully earned a share of the spoils on Saturday against Blackburn and the Club's unbeaten start to the 2010/11 season remains intact. Fulham return to Carling Cup action on Tuesday night when they face Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium before Saturday's League encounter against Everton at the Cottage.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/MatchAndTeam/MatchCentre/Matches/1011/Premiership/BlackburnAway.aspx#ixzz0zuPsiSr9

White Noise

Carling Cup Preview

Saturday 18th September 2010

Following Saturday's 1-1 draw against Blackburn Fulham head to Stoke on Tuesday evening for a Third Round Carling Cup clash| at the Britannia Stadium before entertaining Everton at the Cottage on Saturday afternoon|.

The Club's busy schedule offers Mark Hughes further game time to assess his players and Fulham's Manager is confident the Team can cope with three games in a week so early in the season.

"From my point of view, as a new Manager coming in, I want to see the core elements of the Team play as many times as possible.

"That might be different for other managers of other clubs who know their teams inside out. That's a different situation. For me, it helps me if I can see the Team play as many times as I can.

"Physically we recover the players as well as anybody so we never compromise a player by playing them when they're not fully recovered. I feel they can play at this time of the year and it's not an issue.

"I made the point before and after the last round against Port Vale that we're very early in the season and I don't think you need to make that many changes."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/StokePreview.aspx#ixzz0zuRGfTVI

White Noise

Fulham v Everton

Barclays Premier League

Saturday 25 September

Kick-Off 15:00

A limited number of tickets remain for the visit of David Moyes' Everton side to Craven Cottage on Saturday 25th September (Kick-Off 3pm). Fans are encouraged to secure their seats now to avoid missing out.

On-sale dates
Season Ticket Holders on sale (unlimited)
Fulham Club Members on sale (unlimited)
General Sale on sale (max 4)
Loyalty points: 3 (more info)|

Buy tickets now|

My First Matchday Package
My First Matchday offers Junior supporters and an accompanying adult the opportunity to see what really goes on behind the scenes at Craven Cottage in the build-up to matchday. Pretend you're a radio commentator in the press box, run down the tunnel, pretend you're directing the players from the Manager's seat in the dugout, interview a guardian in front of the TV interview boards, see our trophy cabinet and even meet a Fulham FC legend! More info and prices| †

Matchday Executive Suites
With only a limited number of match tickets remaining, fans wanting to experience the match from an exclusive Executive Suite can do so from just £115 (+VAT) per person. 

Allow your dedicated hostess to take care of everything as you sit back and enjoy the comfort of your own lounge before stepping outside to enjoy the match on your exclusive balcony.

Find out more about hospitality available| or call 020 8336 7555 (Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm) to book your place.†

How to Buy Tickets
buy tickets online  - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day. Save on booking fees by booking online*
by phone on 0870 442 1234 (option 1) - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day
in person from the Ticket Office: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm; non-match day Sat 10am-12pm
by fax 0207 384 4810 (download printable form )
by postal application to FFC Ticket Office, Stevenage Road, Fulham, SW6 6HH enclosing a stamped addressed envelope (download printable form )
Seatwave - the official fan-to-fan ticket exchange
* Lower booking fees compared to telephone booking

† Special offers and packages only available on advance bookings and not on the day of the match.

Prices
Category B prices apply to this match.

NB: Blocks A and AL are a designated Family Area and are not available to  book online. To book, call the Ticket Office on 0870 442 1234 opt.3 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm).

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/tickets/games/EvertonHome.aspx#ixzz0zuRXJcxD

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/7943375/Blackburn-Rovers-v-Fulham-Match-report.html

Blackburn Rovers 1 Fulham 1: Match report

Read a full report of the Premier League match between Blackburn Rovers and Fulham at Ewood Park on Saturday Sept 18 2010.

BLACKBURN 1 - 1 FULHAM   

Saturday, September 18 15:00

Premier League

Ewood Park
Samba (30) (HT 1-0)

ATT: 23,759 Dempsey (56)

Published: 5:30PM BST 18 Sep 2010

Clint Dempsey ensured Fulham maintained their unbeaten start to the Barclays Premier League season after Blackburn Rovers had threatened to overwhelm Mark Hughes' side on his return to Ewood Park.

Chris Samba had given Sam Allardyce's Rovers the half-time lead in controversial circumstances while Fulham had barely had a sniff of goal.

The second half was a different story, however, as Hughes' men had much the better of the match and secured a scoreline that was on balance a fair result.

Blackburn were unchanged with 18-year-old Phil Jones, who played with distinction as the holding midfield player against Manchester City, impressing again in a different role to his usual position in central defence.

Former Rovers player and manager Hughes chose an old Blackburn team-mate Damien Duff to take the place of Bobby Zamora, who suffered a broken leg last week.

Blackburn were utterly dominant for much of the opening half, starting when Nikola Kalinic won an early free-kick in a dangerous spot right on the corner of the area - another inch and it would have been a penalty - but Fulham were able to clear.

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer came close to having a nightmare afternoon with a series of fumbles. The first nearly led to the opening goal but Brede Hangeland managed to head clear off the line after his fellow Norwegian - and good friend - Morten Gamst Pedersen delicately chipped in the loose ball.

Jones hooked over from the ensuing long throw-in and, when Fulham did finally conjure up a meaningful opportunity, Dempsey drifted the direct free-kick well wide.

Mame Biram Diouf looked to be in on goal but his control deserted him at the critical point, and the Senegalese striker then claimed a penalty when he was challenged by Hangeland, though it appeared the big Norwegian just nicked the ball away.

Hangeland was then booked for going through the same player and, from the free-kick, the goal that Blackburn had been threatening finally arrived.

Paul Robinson hoisted the ball high and with Schwarzer again looking uncertain - and some shoving by El-Hadji Diouf not helping Fulham's cause - Samba won the heading lottery to loop the ball into the empty net.

Hughes reacted with anger on the touchline, provoking good-natured jeers from the home crowd, and his mood would not have been improved when Robinson displayed superb agility to turn aside Carlos Salcido's impressing curling strike.

Fulham looked much more positive in the second half and had a chance to get back on terms within seconds of the re-start but Simon Davies' direct free-kick was woeful.

Dempsey made no mistake in the 56th minute, however, when Salcido floated across an inviting cross from left, beating Ryan Nelsen to the ball to plant a powerful header past Robinson for the equaliser.

Schwarzer dropped the ball again under pressure from Samba as Blackburn tried to respond and this time referee Anthony Taylor awarded a free-kick when replays showed clearly there had been no foul.

Benjani Mwaruwari came on for Kalinic to make his Blackburn debut and his header down gave Brett Emerton space for a snap-shot but he hit it straight at Schwarzer.

Schwarzer's uncertainty continued to be a problem for the visitors and he was left grateful to his defence for keeping out El-Hadji Diouf after another fumble.

Fulham were lucky to survive again when Salgado whipped a vicious ball across the face of goal, then Danny Murphy tricked the Spanish defender into conceding a free-kick on the edge of his box.

Murphy tried to curl it into the top corner but Robinson never looked worried as it sailed over.

The match might have been there for the taking for either side after that, but fear of defeat won the day as the game drifted into a stalemate.

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2010/09/dempsey-grabs-a-deserved-point/

Dempsey grabs a deserved point

by Dan on September 18, 2010

Rather surprisingly it was Sam Allardyce who headed across the pitch to confront referee Anthony Taylor at the final whistle. The man who provoked plenty of mirth during his pre-match press conference by suggesting he was more than qualified to manage Real Madrid was clearly incensed by the official but it was Mark Hughes, on his return to Ewood Park, who had more reason to be disputing Taylor's decision-making at the end of a see-saw encounter.

In the privacy of the home dressing room afterwards, Allardyce might want to directed some of his oppobrium towards his own players, who seemed to slacken off after battering Fulham during a first half that suggested the Londoners' travel sickness was destined to continue. Blackburn were far more effective, even if there was nothing in the man that might have had the Bernabeu regulars purring with delight. It was more brawn than brain for Rovers, who settled much quicker and should have been in front through Nikola Kalinic only for the Croatian striker to inexplicably shoot the wrong side of the post after sprinting clear of a shambolic Fulham offside trap.

The visitors rode their luck in defence with Mark Schwarzer, not long back in the first team after a back injury and all that Arsenal transfer speculation, looking shaky between the sticks. Allardyce had clearly hatched a plan to unsettle the experienced Australian goalkeeper and it might have paid dividends long before Chris Samba's opener was controversially allowed to stand after half an hour. Mortem Gamst Pedersen saw an effort headed off the line by his Norwegian team-mate Brede Hangeland and the impressive Phil Jones had a goalbound attempt blocked as Fulham nearly buckled under the pressure.

When the breakthrough did come, it enraged Hughes and his side. El-Hadj Diouf clearly barged into Schwarzer, making no attempt to play the ball, and presenting Samba with the simplest of tap-ins as the Fulham keeper fell to the ground. Referee Taylor gave the goal but, even if it seemed illegitimate, there was little doubt that Rovers deserved their lead. Fulham played in patches and seemed cowed by Blackburn's route one football. Too many passes went astray and the visitors barely mustered a first-half chance: only debutant Carlos Salcido succeeded in extending Paul Robinson, who turned his left-footed curler aside just before the break.

Hughes has already had to deliver a couple of stern half-time team-talks to his new charges and Fulham certainly seemed a different side after the break. They began the second half with much more urgency, which delivered an equaliser eleven minutes in. Danny Murphy's quickly-taken free-kick released Salcido down the left and the Mexican's cross picked out Clint Dempsey, who headed home emphatically after outjumping Ryan Nelsen.

Blackburn might have restored their lead after Benjani played in his fellow substitute Brett Emerton but the Austrlian midfielder shot disappointing at Schwarzer and the home side lost their impetus as the contest went on. Fulham grew gradually more confident and might have snatched an equaliser in the closing stages. Damien Duff skipped away from a couple of challengers and his dangerous ball across goal eluded everyone before Murphy floated a free-kick agnonisingly wide. American Eddie Johnson almost made another decisive contribution as a late substitute but he narrowly failed to punish some hesitancy from Robinson right at the end.

Given how off-colour Fulham looked in the first period and that they might have crumbled after such a dubious Blackburn goal, Mark Hughes will certainly be happy with the point that preserves his unbeaten start with his new side.

BLACKBURN ROVERS (4-5-1): Robinson; Salgado, Givet, Samba, Nelsen; M.B. Diouf, Jones, Grella, Pedersen (Emerton 61), E.H. Diouf; Kalinic (Benjani 65). Subs (not used): Bunn, Chimbonda, Lingazi, Hoilett.

GOAL: Samba (30).

FULHAM (4-4-2): Schwarzer; Kelly, Salcido, Hughes, Hangeland; Etuhu, Murphy (Gera 89), Duff, Davies; Dempsey (E. Johnson 78), Dembele. Subs (not used): Etheridge, Baird, Pantsil, Greening, Riise.

BOOKED: Hangeland.

GOAL: Dempsey (56).

REFEREE: Anthony Taylor (Manchester).

ATTENDANCE: 23,759.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6385775,00.html

Blackburn Rovers 1-1 Fulham

Soccer Saturday analysis

Matt Le Tissier was disappointed with the action in Blackburn's 1-1 draw with Fulham.

Blackburn dominated large parts of their meeting with Fulham, but had to settle for a point.

Rovers can boast a formidable record at Ewood Park under Sam Allardyce and they looked to be on their way to another three points when Chris Samba nodded them in front.

However, they were left to pay the price for failing to turn possession into goals when Clint Dempsey restored parity after the interval and helped to preserve Fulham's unbeaten record in the league.

"It was not the most exciting game it has to be said, and there was not a lot of goal mouth action " explained Le Tissier on Soccer Saturday.

"The goal was controversial to say the least and in my opinion the ref got it wrong. It was a blatant foul by Samba on Mark Schwarzer as he came out. From that point of view I think that Fulham can count themselves a little bit unlucky but on the balance on play you could say that a draw was a fair result.

"Fulham were resilient but they are still looking for that vital away win rather than picking up points here and there.

White Noise

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/18092010/63/hughes-bemoans-inexperienced-referee.html

Hughes bemoans inexperienced referee

Sat, 18 Sep 19:15:10 2010

Mark Hughes claimed referee Anthony Taylor was too inexperienced to handle Fulham's 1-1 draw at Blackburn after the official allowed a controversial goal for the home side.

The Cheshire official missed an obvious shove by El Hadji Diouf on goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer allowing Chris Samba to head into an empty net.

Rovers boss Sam Allardyce was also critical of Taylor - claiming Schwarzer should not even have still been on the pitch because of a "blatant" handball outside the box.

Hughes said: "It was a foul for their goal so we are disappointed and our performance in the second half merited a win. I don't think the referee has had a game like this before, it's only his second game in the Premier League.

"I just feel there's a lot going on off the ball when you play the likes of Blackburn and you need an experienced referee to recognise that and understand what's going on. Maybe that's why he missed the challenge on Mark.

"I was disappointed with the award of the goal, there were two other incidents prior to that so for the referee to allow the play to continue was disappointing."

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/sep/18/blackburn-fulham-premier-league

Fulham preserve unbeaten record with draw at Blackburn Rovers    

(1)Tweet this (9)Comments (1) Observer report

Richard Gibson at Ewood Park

guardian.co.uk, Saturday 18 September 2010 16.59

Fulham maintained their unbeaten Premier League start under Mark Hughes's stewardship but they were denied a first away victory in the top flight for 13 months by Blackburn Rovers' controversial opener at Ewood Park.

It was a sense of injustice rather than the long journey that induced their sickness on a grey Lancashire afternoon, however, as the Blackburn captain Christopher Samba's head inadvertently provided the hosts with a half-time lead after the goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer was barged over. A more decisive header from Clint Dempsey after the break extended Fulham's healthy start to the campaign.

That they did not take all three points from an away game for the first time in 21 attempts was something of their own making as Schwarzer's policy of coming for every aerial delivery was exposed twice before his crucial gaffe.

It arrived when Schwarzer emerged through a posse of bodies to claim his opposite number Paul Robinson's ranging free-kick. Penned in by his opponents as the ball hung in the air, he was felled by El Hadji Diouf's elbow and the ball comically skimmed off the stumbling Samba's head and into the unguarded net.

As Samba celebrated, Ewood Park erupted and so did its former manager Hughes, who made straight for the assistant referee Jake Collin, officiating on the Jack Walker Stand touchline, to vent his ire. Fulham's captain, Danny Murphy, added weight to the protest but to no avail.

It was a cruel price to pay for Schwarzer, who failed to heed the warning signs of the opening minutes. First, Mame Biram Diouf outjumped the Australian on the edge of the area but his header on lacked conviction and was cleared. Then Brede Hangeland came to his stranded colleague's rescue when he headed Morten Gamst Pedersen's cute chip off the line after Schwarzer dropped an eighth-minute free-kick 15 yards out, again under pressure from the on-loan Manchester United striker Diouf.

And it was Robinson who made the only save of note in the opening period when he was forced to tip Carlos Salcido's curling effort from the left side of the penalty area around his upright. However, he was left rooted to the spot shortly after the restart when the Mexican left-back Salcido's raid down the left teed up Dempsey, who finished emphatically

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/46029/blackburn-rovers-vs-fulham/report

Blackburn Rovers 1-1 Fulham: Chris Samba's opener cancelled out by Clint Dempsey as points are shared at Ewood Park

Cottagers continue undefeated run in the Premier League...

By Adithya Ananth

Blackburn Rovers and Fulham played out a stalemate at Ewood Park as Chris Samba's opener was cancelled out by a header from Clint Dempsey in the second half.

The Cottagers' boss Mark Hughes returned to familiar surroundings as his career as a footballer came to a close playing for the home side, before managing the club for four years between 2004 and 2008.

Rovers boss Sam Allardyce had good news ahead of the clash, as defenders Ryan Nelsen and Michel Salgado overcame minor injuries to start the game. It was an unchanged line-up from the one that recently drew 1-1 with Manchester City at Eastlands, showcasing the faith that the manager placed in his charges.

However, there were a couple of changes on the bench, as injuries to David Dunn and Martin Olsson saw Junior Hoilett and Amine Linganzi getting into the squad.

The west London club welcomed the return of winger Damien Duff, who recovered from a calf injury to make a start. Rafik Halliche and Fredrik Stoor were unable to make the squad owing to groin injuries, while Andy Johnson remained sidelined as he is still some way from making a full recovery from injury.

The travellers also missed the services of striker Bobby Zamora, who is out of action for a few months following a broken leg sustained against Wolves last week.

And with an air of expectancy at Ewood Park, the game began as Blackburn assumed control of the initial proceedings.

A long ball saw goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer come off his line, only be stranded in no man's land as midfielder Morten Gamst Pedersen sent the ball goalwards. But luckily for the travellers, defender Brede Hangeland was on hand to head the ball away.

As Rovers continued their early dominance, their strikers Mame Biram Diouf and Nikola Kalinic beat the offiside trap to pose a serious threat to the goalkeeper. After a brief moment of confusion between the pair, the Croatian took control of the ball and looked to put it past the 'keeper. But the marksman was unable to put the ball in the back of the net, as his shot went just wide of the post.

With 20 minutes gone, a rare period of extended possession eventually resulted in Cottagers forward Moussa Dembele getting a goal scoring opportunity as the opposition defenders backed away from him, but his shot from 20 yards out did not trouble Schwarzer.

Ten minutes later the home crowd got what they came to see, as a long ball from the home team's goalkeeper Paul Robinson saw his counterpart come out to claim the ball, only to be blocked by bodies before Samba used his head to glance the ball into the gaping goal. The visitors' boss Hughes was left fuming on the sidelines, as he appeared to think that the referee should have stopped play when Schwarzer was blocked. But the man in charge let it pass as the hosts got a deserved lead.

Fulham battled hard for the remainder of the half, but unfortunately for them all efforts to level the score remained fruitless.

The hosts appeared to be content with a lone goal lead as Diouf drifted into a wider position. But Allardyce's charges were made to pay for not pushing hard enough, as the men in red saw equilibrium being restored to the tie. A free kick from midfielder Danny Murphy saw defender Carlos Salcido race forward to send in a cross to Dempsey, who used his head, literally, to level the scoreline.

Having balanced the tie, Hughes' men finally began to exert some much needed pressure on their opponents as Duff sent in a shot that was blocked, but the pressure was telling as the defence took more time than was necessary to clear the ball on that occasion.

The experienced Republic of Ireland international continued to cause problems for his former club, as he went down the flank with relative comfort, but his cross proved to be just a little too high for Dempsey and Dembele.

As the match slowly drew towards a close, Allardyce was pacing the touchline as his side had lost the grip they had on the game during the first period.

Blackburn displayed some resurgence towards the death, but it all came too late as the referee called time on the proceedings to see points being shared at Ewood Park

White Noise

http://football.fanhouse.co.uk/2010/09/18/blackburn-1-fulham-1-clint-dempsey-rescues-draw-for-unbeaten-co/

Blackburn 1 Fulham 1: Clint Dempsey Rescues Draw for Unbeaten Cottagers

18/9/2010 11:57 AM GMT

By Jeremy Cross

Clint Dempsey maintained Fulham's unbeaten start to the season with a second-half equaliser at Ewood Park to leave Blackburn manager Sam Allardyce bemoaning his side's inability to hold on to the lead.

United States international Dempsey struck on 55 minutes with a clinical header past Paul Robinson from Carlos Salcido's accurate cross.

The visitors will argue that Dempsey's goal, his second of the season, was justice considering the controversial manner in which Blackburn took the lead through Chris Samba's glancing header on 30 minutes.

Mark Schwarzer, who had an uncomfortable game throughout, claimed he was impeded when trying to deal with Paul Robinson's long free kick.

Schwarzer appeared to be bundled over by El Hadji Diouf in the process of coming to punch and was subsequently powerless to prevent the ball from hitting Samba on the head and diverting into an open goal.

Blackburn dominated much of the first half but could only take a slender lead into the interval, which proved to be their undoing.

Robinson, who produced a fine save to deny Salcido before half-time, was powerless to prevent Dempsey from equalising and as the game went on, the visitors looked more likely to snatch a winning goal.

This would have pleased Mark Hughes on his return to Ewood Park, but the Fulham manager will still have been pleased with a point from this fixture. The result stretches his side's run to six games unbeaten.

Allardyce introduced Benjani for his debut with 30 minutes remaining but the Zimbabwe international struggled to make an impact, leaving the hosts cursing the loss of two dropped points.

REACTION:
Sam Allardyce admitted he was satisfied with the result but less than impressed with some of the referee's decisions:
"Mark (Hughes) possibly could be right. There was a little nudge on Schwarzer and I can't remember the referee being in a great position. We have got away with that perhaps, but we were exposing Mark Schwarzer's problems before that.

"He handled outside the box and should have been sent off. The referee didn't have the best of games and you don't want to be left talking about the major decisions.

"He made both sets of fans, players and managers angry. He made a simple game tough for himself and only has himself to blame."

On the team's performance:
"I thought we had control of the game. But when we scored we got worse instead of better and let them back into it. We lost our rhythm and maybe it was a fair result in the end.

"Our quality wasn't good enough when in possession. I'm disappointed in the performance but not the result. We have got a point and we can move on."

On Benjani's impact:
"I thought he did well and looked lively. He is a quality player and he's going to be an important member of out squad this season."

Mark Hughes was satisfied with a point in the end:
"I think it was fair. We got penned in in the first half and didn't play our own game. Blackburn make things difficult for you. We weren't under real pressure and it was a bit stop start."

On whether Schwarzer was fouled for the opening goal:
"We're disappointed with the goal. It was a foul on Mark so for the referee to allow play to continue was disappointing. It was a foul, that's the top and bottom of it. The referee hasn't refereed a game like that before, it was only his second game and there was a lot going on. You need an experienced referee in those situations".

On Schwarzer's overall performance:
"He's an outstanding goalkeeper and is prepared to go for balls. On occasions you get bumped and knocked and things will be dropped, but I'll never criticise him for going for the ball. You have to be brave and positive and that's what he is. He's that kind of keeper. He tries to stop things at source."

On the unbeaten run continuing:
"We're putting work into the things already put in place and adding a more positive slant to the way we approach games. A good start is always important to my credibility with the players, so that helps."

WHAT IT MEANS:
Blackburn may look back on this result at the end of the season with some regret, given the fact they were winning and looking in complete control. In fact, it could even prove to be the difference in their European qualification hopes.

Fulham have developed a steely side to their game under Hughes and stride on unbeaten this season. Progress is solid if unspectacular but Hughes will be quietly pleased.

BLACKBURN 1 (Samba 30) FULHAM 1 (Dempsey 55)

PLAYER MARKING:
Blackburn (4-5-1): Robinson 8; Salgado 7, Samba 9, Nelsen 7, Givet 7; M Diouf 6, Jones 7, Grella 7 (Nzonzi 75, 7), Pedersen 7 (Emerton 60, 7); EH Diouf 7; Kalinic 7 (Benjani 64, 7). Subs (not used): Bunn, Linganzi, Hoilett, Chimbonda.

Fulham (4-4-1-1): Schwarzer 4; Kelly 6, Hangeland 6, Hughes 6, Salcido 7; Davies 7, Murphy 7 (Gera 88, 7), Etuhu 6, Duff 5; Dembele 7; Dempsey 8 (Johnson 77, 6). Subs (not used): Etheridge, Pantsil, Baird, Riise, Greening.

ATTENDANCE: 23,759

REFEREE: Anthony Taylor

NEXT UP:
- Blackburn v Aston Villa (Away), Premier League 22/9, 1945 BST
- Fulham v Stoke (Away), Premier League 21/9, 1945 BST

MAN OF THE MATCH:
Chris Samba (Blackburn): The defender was a giant at both ends of the field and has become one of the most underrated players in the Premier League. Has also developed a helpful knack of scoring vital goals.

White Noise

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/18092010/58/premier-league-dempsey-grabs-point-fulham.html

Premier League - Dempsey grabs point for Fulham

Opta - Sat, 18 Sep 15:59:00 2010

Mark Hughes returned to the club where he made his name as a manager and saw his side initially overwhelmed by Rovers who started very strongly and took the lead on half an hour through a disputed goal from Samba.

El-Hadji Diouf looked to clearly impede Mark Schwarzer as he tried to claim a free-kick launched into the box by his opposite number Paul Robinson and Samba headed home into the empty net.

Dempsey grabbed the equaliser for Fulham in the second half when he beat Samba in the air at the near post following good work from the debutant Carlos Salcido.

Blackburn came flying out of the blocks in the first half, and at every opportunity they launched long direct balls into the box aimed at Mame Diouf and Nikola Kalinic who together were causing havoc in the Fulham defence.

Kalinic should have opened the scoring early on, when latching onto a ball over the top he rolled wide of the right hand post when one on one with Schwarzer.

High balls were troubling the Fulham defence early on, particularly Schwarzer, who looked hesitant and twice came for the ball and failed to collect cleanly under pressure, before on 30 minutes, a free kick taken long by Paul Robinson saw Schwarzer impeded by El-Hadji Diouf and Samba nod the opening goal.

However, as livid as Fulham's keeper was at referee Anthony Taylor's failure to see the Senegalese blocking him to the floor, he was also somewhat lucky to not have at the very least a yellow card to his name as following one of his earlier flaps he dived for the ball and got a hand to Morten Gamst Pedersen's attempts to lob the keeper from outside the area. Brede Hangeland was on hand to head off the line, but Schwarzer was quite clearly outside his area when he got a touch to the ball.

Hangeland was also on hand to deny the lively Mame Diouf with a last gasp tackle, as the striker on loan from Manchester United burst into the box.

Fulham played their way back into the game, and Hughes' side piled on the pressure towards the end of the first 45 minutes. The excellent Salcido came closest to equalising, when following a good passage of play the left back cut inside and whipped in a viciously curling effort on his right foot which was brilliantly tipped wide by Robinson at full stretch.

Moussa Dembele also caused trouble for Rovers' defence when he ran from the halfway line and drove a shot from 20-yards wide of the post.

The second half started much as the first had finished with Fulham in the ascendancy, and eventually the visitors made their pressure tell. Salcido was played in down the left hand side and his floated ball to the near post allowed Dempsey to get ahead of Samba and crash a header past Robinson.

While Fulham were playing the ball around nicely, and Dembele was doing well to cover the absence of Bobby Zamora, Schwarzer was still failing to collect simple crosses and twice in the second half he put pressure on his defence after dropping crosses at the feet of, first Diouf and then Brett Emerton.

Luckily for the Australian keeper his defence were on hand to clear up for his mistakes and Hangeland and Aaron Hughes made crucial interventions to prevent Rovers taking the lead.

Danny Murphy went closest for Fulham after their equaliser when he put a free kick just wide with Robinson stranded, but the game eventually ended level as both sides took less risks as the match drew to a close.

Opta

White Noise

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2010/09/blackburn_1_fulham_1.php

Blackburn 1 Fulham 1

Posted by Phil Mison 3 hours, 35 minutes ago

A hard earned point at Ewood Park as the Whites are yet again on the wrong end of an atrocious decision to allow Blackburn's 30th minute opener. Fulham control the 2nd half and Dempsey restores parity with an unstoppable header to preserve our unbeaten record.

Our game with Blackburn pretty much followed the script, but of our three away draws to date this was one where we might really have pushed on and claimed that elusive away win. Poor in the first-half, where Schwarzer looked like a man on a storm-tossed trawler grabbing fish, we bossed the 2nd half without quite finding the killer ball our approach play merited.

Rovers early aerial bombardment was predicted. Schwarzer's uncertainty was not, unnerving the whole defence, Hangleland needing every centimetre of height to clear from beneath the bar after a bad error by Mark as the home side threatened from the off. But when Samba nodded the ball home after half an hour it came following Diouf's clear foul on our keeper. Leaving his line after Robinson's route one punt downfield, replays showed the sneaky Diouf clearly dip his shoulder - and with no attempt to go for the ball, take out our number one.

Yet again a terrible decision from the officials going against us. In truth, Rovers were full value for their half time lead. Dempsey struggled to make an impact, the midfield were being outmuscled or seeing the ball constantly pumped over their heads. Robinson's one moment of alarm was tipping aside Salcido's fine curling effort. Blackburn's style aint pretty, but in that first 45 it was effective.

It was all change after half-time. Fulham at last got the ball down and started to dominate. With Rovers penned back, a fine passing move saw debutant Salcido dink over a cross that Clint thundered home at the near post to draw us level on 56.

Mark will no doubt feel aggrieved that for all our progress down the wings in the final 35 mnutes, with no BZ to aim for, possession never led to any real clear cut openings. Credit the Rovers back line who made some telling tackles whenever Fulham tried to pass their way through the middle. A few more long shots from distance might have been an option.

At the whistle you sensed it was the home side the happier with a point. The unbeaten run continues, but sadly so does that winless run away from Craven Cottage. In case you think the Fulham blogger shows bias, the BBC's pundit describes Diouf's challenge as 'an assault on the keeper.' These things are supposed to even themselves out over a season...referees please TAKE NOTE. We might be 'friendly little Fulham' but stop cheating us!

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/09/18/blackburn-1-1-fulham-2/

Blackburn 1-1 Fulham

Filed under: Match info — weltmeisterclaude @ 4:11 pm

Another day, another point.  These games are notoriously tricky, so while we all hope the away day hoodoo might be banished, a draw's a good result.

There is a but though: Blackburn's goal came when our old friend El Hadj Diouf blocked/tripped/screened Mark Schwarzer on a free-kick, allowing Christopher Samba's header to bobble gently over the line.  It was clearly a foul and the goal should not have been given.

After that Fulham played pretty well.  Paul Robinson didn't have enormous amounts of work to do, but this was due to the good work of his defenders, for our approach play became increasingly impressive as the half went on.  Damien Duff found his form and Simon Davies looked pretty good, too, and with the Etuhu/Murphy axis looking passable if less predictable than in seasons past, our midfield was dominating theirs.

A goal back was deserved and came when Murphy freed Salcido on the left, and the new man dinked infield towards Dempsey, whose header flew past Robinson for an emphatic equaliser.  Clint roared off to hug Eddie Johnson on the sidelines.

This done we saw some more uncharacteristic flapping from Mark Schwarzer as Blackburn came back at us.  Stephen Kelly made a fine, twisting headed clearance to repel an alarming right-wing cross from under his own bar.  Hangeland looked up for the fight, and the parity seemed more or less safe.  At the other end we were 10% short when it mattered, Etuhu's first touch in advanced areas reminding us that he's not used to attacking, Dembele looking good but not great this week.  Our best chance to win it came when a Duff cross fizzed across the six yard area without a Fulham shirt in sight.  Andrew Johnson might've got himself on the end of it.

But no matter, we'll take this.  It's quite hard to judge Mark Hughes' Fulham at the moment.  Roy's attacking patterns are all but gone, so our play is refreshingly unpredictable, but this irregularity does seem to make us a little less coherent at times.   Still, our most interesting game in Blackburn for some time.  Onwards and upwards (and 13 draws in the last 17 Premier League games for our manager).