watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The 28 year old rule

Started by Jimsbeerbelly, December 24, 2017, 01:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimsbeerbelly

Surely this should only apply to players we buy, and not current squad players. Prime example being McDonald, 28, absolute bargain at 2M, and if he's not given a new contract at FFC, it will be nothing short of a criminal act.

I know the Club is looking to maximise sell on profits, but, even if you sold Big Kev for say £5M, you'd struggle to replace him with that type of money.

There should, in some circumstances, be an exception to the rule.

..FOF..

I believe with the departure of Kline, the 28yr old rule will be abolished.

hovewhite

Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on December 24, 2017, 01:42:40 PM
Surely this should only apply to players we buy, and not current squad players. Prime example being McDonald, 28, absolute bargain at 2M, and if he's not given a new contract at FFC, it will be nothing short of a criminal act.

I know the Club is looking to maximise sell on profits, but, even if you sold Big Kev for say £5M, you'd struggle to replace him with that type of money.

There should, in some circumstances, be an exception to the rule.
Agree 100% as he is as crucial as TC.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: ..FOF.. on December 24, 2017, 01:51:31 PM

Not only should it be abolished. It should be burnt at the stake, tarred and feathered and hung upside down for the vultures to feed on.
I have never heard so much rot coming out of Fulham FC since this stats and recruitment regime have taken over.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

bog

So if Paul Scholes had said he wanted to join us aged 29 it was a no....almost as stupid as this idea....

092.gif

VicHalomsLovechild

I don't think the rule is a bad one tba In general the value of older players drop as they near the end of their careers. They would be on higher wages and probably play less due to injuries. I don't think it should be written in stone. There are always exceptions. Ross McCormack. 28 when we signed him 42 goals and didn't we make a small profit on him?

Holders

Surely it was only ever that it applied to new signings, not contract renewals.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

filham

You can look back over our history and think of over 28 year olds who have given us magnificent service. Had we not signed Mullery and Moore the 1975 cup final would not now be on our records.

bog

Quote from: filham on December 24, 2017, 03:15:57 PM

You can look back over our history and think of over 28 year olds who have given us magnificent service. Had we not signed Mullery and Moore the 1975 cup final would not now be on our records.

Totally agree.

092.gif

Nero

The not over 28 years old is based on being self-sustainability, that players under 28 can develop and be sold on for a profit load of old nonsense really as any player under 28 can still bugger off on a free transfer on a Bosman.

Woolly Mammoth

I thought the idea of signing experienced players over 28 who are invaluable and worth their weight in gold to assist us in getting promoted.
Not signing young players to then sell them on as though we were some kind of nursery for other clubs. If it's making money or a profit is all your interested in at the expense of promotion.
All the club needs to do is get promoted into the Premier and the club immediately qualifies for the kind of millions you can only dream of.
That's the quickest way of getting promoted and earning millions.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Nero

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 24, 2017, 10:01:57 PM
I thought the idea of signing experienced players over 28 who are invaluable and worth their weight in gold to assist us in getting promoted.
Not signing young players to then sell them on as though we were some kind of nursery for other clubs. If it's making money or a profit is all your interested in at the expense of promotion.
All the club needs to do is get promoted into the Premier and the club immediately qualifies for the kind of millions you can only dream of.
That's the quickest way of getting promoted and earning millions.

We'll have none of that sensible talk round here,