watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What happened to Boxing Day derby's ?

Started by f321ffc, December 26, 2017, 10:08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

f321ffc

Leaving aside the 5th consecutive Boxing Day away game argument, looking  at today's fixtures in the championship and not one local derby, at a guess the games with least travel Bristol city v Reading or Nottingham Forest v Sheffield Wednesday.
It used to be most games on Boxing Day were a derby or short distance but I guess the fans don't matter anymore.COYW
:Happy New Year:
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Woolly Mammoth

Fans have stopped being considered since Sky and their masters took centre stage, and that sadly is a consequence of money flooding the wrong pockets, and having individuals with hidden agendas running the Premier League and the Football Pyrimid below.
Money can talk very loudly, especially when the money is in the wrong hands.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

hovewhite

In the end fans dont count anymore,with the new EFL tv deal it will get worse.Fans not that important and even less so in the future.

filham

We have to go back quite a long way to get to the days of Boxing day derbies but they were so enjoyable for the fans.
Hard to think why they were stopped except for the reason given, TV wanted more nationwide interest to boost holiday viewing figures.
No doubt nowadays so ma

Holders

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

grandad

Even on that crazy Boxing Day in 1963 there were hardly any local derbies.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Holders

We normally had Millwall - or on Jan 1st.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

bill taylors apprentice

My memory of Boxing day games going back to the 60's is that we were just as likely to travel to the likes of Burnley as we were to Spurs and the "Derby" was never a regular thing regardless of how many "Local" teams in the same division.

A quick look through "Fulham the complete record" shows in more recent years it was the same story, Bristol Rovers or Torquay away and Gillingham or Exeter at home.

My unscientific check shows during the 50's and until the late 60's it was usual to play the same team home and away over the festive period but otherwise a regular pattern of home/away in successive seasons and local derbies has never been a regular thing.

Having said all that, there's no doubt the TV money has had a negative effect on the Boxing day games, as for our lack of home games I suspect its more the Met Police's priority in other areas and lack of availability over the Christmas period that restricts BD games in London.
Why its always us who lose out is another question?   

alfie

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 26, 2017, 10:31:22 AM
Fans have stopped being considered since Sky and their masters took centre stage, and that sadly is a consequence of money flooding the wrong pockets, and having individuals with hidden agendas running the Premier League and the Football Pyrimid below.
Money can talk very loudly, especially when the money is in the wrong hands.
That's the problem it's the fans that want sky sports me included, I still go to games but I like to see other games, I wonder how many foffers go to games and subscribe to sky sports.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't