watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (20/09/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 20, 2010, 07:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/19092010/58/premier-league-dempsey-grabs-point-fulham.html
Premier League - Dempsey grabs point for Fulham

Clint Dempsey's header earned Fulham a 1-1 draw against Blackburn at Ewood Park to maintain their unbeaten start to the season, after Christopher Samba's controversial goal gave Rovers the lead.

Mark Hughes returned to the club where he made his name as a manager and saw his side initially overwhelmed by Rovers who started very strongly and took the lead on half an hour through a disputed goal from Samba.

El-Hadji Diouf looked to clearly impede Mark Schwarzer as he tried to claim a free-kick launched into the box by his opposite number Paul Robinson and Samba headed home into the empty net.

Dempsey grabbed the equaliser for Fulham in the second half when he beat Samba in the air at the near post following good work from the debutant Carlos Salcido.

Blackburn came flying out of the blocks in the first half, and at every opportunity they launched long direct balls into the box aimed at Mame Diouf and Nikola Kalinic who together were causing havoc in the Fulham defence.

Kalinic should have opened the scoring early on, when latching onto a ball over the top he rolled wide of the right hand post when one on one with Schwarzer.

High balls were troubling the Fulham defence early on, particularly Schwarzer, who looked hesitant and twice came for the ball and failed to collect cleanly under pressure, before on 30 minutes, a free kick taken long by Paul Robinson saw Schwarzer impeded by El-Hadji Diouf and Samba nod the opening goal.

However, as livid as Fulham's keeper was at referee Anthony Taylor's failure to see the Senegalese blocking him to the floor, he was also somewhat lucky to not have at the very least a yellow card to his name as following one of his earlier flaps he dived for the ball and got a hand to Morten Gamst Pedersen's attempts to lob the keeper from outside the area.

Brede Hangeland was on hand to head off the line, but Schwarzer was quite clearly outside his area when he got a touch to the ball.

Hangeland was also on hand to deny the lively Mame Diouf with a last gasp tackle, as the striker on loan from Manchester United burst into the box.

Fulham played their way back into the game, and Hughes' side piled on the pressure towards the end of the first 45 minutes. The excellent Salcido came closest to equalising, when following a good passage of play the left back cut inside and whipped in a viciously curling effort on his right foot which was brilliantly tipped wide by Robinson at full stretch.

Moussa Dembele also caused trouble for Rovers' defence when he ran from the halfway line and drove a shot from 20-yards wide of the post.

The second half started much as the first had finished with Fulham in the ascendancy, and eventually the visitors made their pressure tell. Salcido was played in down the left hand side and his floated ball to the near post allowed Dempsey to get ahead of Samba and crash a header past Robinson.

While Fulham were playing the ball around nicely, and Dembele was doing well to cover the absence of Bobby Zamora, Schwarzer was still failing to collect simple crosses and twice in the second half he put pressure on his defence after dropping crosses at the feet of, first Diouf and then Brett Emerton.

Luckily for the Australian keeper his defence were on hand to clear up for his mistakes and Hangeland and Aaron Hughes made crucial interventions to prevent Rovers taking the lead.

Danny Murphy went closest for Fulham after their equaliser when he put a free kick just wide with Robinson stranded, but the game eventually ended level as both sides took less risks as the match drew to a close.

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/09/20/2127226/mark-hughes-delighted-with-carlos-salcidos-fulham-debut?
Mark Hughes Delighted With Carlos Salcido's Fulham Debut
Fulham manager Mark Hughes insists that he is happy with the performance put in by new left-back Carlos Salcido...

Fulham manager Mark Hughes insists that he is happy with the performance put in by new left-back Carlos Salcido on his debut for the club.

The Mexican put in a strong display against Blackburn Rovers, during which he sent in a well placed cross to fellow team-mate Clint Dempsey who volleyed it into the back of the net. This saw the Cottagers draw level and eventually share points with Sam Allardyce's men.

Now the gaffer believes that the 30-year-old will prove to be a key player for the club during the course of the campaign.

"I was really pleased with Carlos' debut against Blackburn," Hughes told the club's official website. "He hasn't had a lot of time with the team in training but obviously he very quickly understood what the game [against Blackburn] was about after a nervous couple of minutes.

"He looked like he was really enjoying himself at the end of the match and produced a great ball for the equaliser. He's going to be a really important player for us."

Salcido joined Fulham last month in a £1.6 million deal with PSV Eindhoven.

WhiteJC

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/sport/football/crystalpalace/eaglesnews/8401486.Burley_hails_Fulham_target_Speroni/?
Burley hails Fulham target Speroni

Crystal Palace manager George Burley hailed the performance of Julian Speroni in the 0-0 draw against Burnley on Saturday.

The Argentine, who Fulham showed an interest in signing on transfer deadline day last month, made a string of stunning saves that kept Palace in the match.

"We have a top class keeper in Julian Speroni and you could see why we worked very hard to keep him during the transfer window" said Burley. " It doesn't surprise when he makes these kind of saves, as he is someone who is still maturing."

"Julian has been an important player for this club, a joy to work with and someone who has a big personality. People here know full well what he can do as he has been 'Player Of The Year for the last three seasons."

"The club didn't want to sell him and it is pleasing for me to be able to keep the best players. We have given our captain, Paddy McCarthy, a new contract and Darren Ambrose signed a new deal but then has been injured and is a big miss for us all."

The Palace manager was also pleased how the rest of his men coped with a Burnley team who had kept most of the squad who graced the Premier League last season.

"I was pleased with a point as they are a good side with experience and had number of opportunities."

"We started the game brightly and did well for the first period of the match but then had to stand firm when Burnley got on top in the game. Overall, I was pleased with a point."

"It was a learning experience for the youngsters and our wide men didn't get as much room as they did against Portsmouth but games like this will be good for them. Wilfried Zaha was back from suspension but even he didn't look as sharp as he did a few weeks back as he has lost a bit of the edge to his game during the three games he has missed."

"We are trying to build a team here and that includes developing the young players we have and I have been able to get some players in on loan to try and help the strength of the squad but we know it is going to take time."

WhiteJC

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/stokecitynews/Stoke-City-Gudjohnsen-sweat-Fulham-test/article-2662471-detail/article.html?
Stoke City: Eidur Gudjohnsen made to sweat for Fulham start

EIDUR Gudjohnsen is pleading for a shot at Fulham in the Carling Cup tomorrow after sweating tears during a torturous fitness regime at Stoke, writes Martin Spinks.

Gudjohnsen, pictured, who was courted by Fulham before opting to join Stoke last month, reckons he is gradually bridging the fitness gap between himself and the rest of the squad following his arrival from Monaco three weeks ago.

The Icelandic international, who made his debut from the bench in Saturday's 1-1 draw with West Ham, looked towards the Fulham cup tie by insisting: "I hope to make a start every time and this could be the perfect game to get more minutes in.

"The manager knew exactly my situation when I arrived here and we've worked together on that.

"We're easing into it because it's a long season, not a sprint.

"I came here without a pre-season and without training with the team, but now I would like to think I'm getting close.

"Even though it was only 15 minutes on the pitch on Saturday, it was a high pace.

"It's done me good just to get involved and to know what to expect, especially at home when we pressurise with high balls and put the opposition on the back foot."

He admits his rigorous fitness programme has been hard work – very hard work at times – but his incentive at 32 is a full-time return to the Premier League.

Gudjohnsen said: "This work is not something I would want to do every time, but it's something we've needed.

"I have had to knuckle down on a few occasions, I must say.

"All the other lads have been through it and I just have to go through it in a shorter space of time.

"What motivates me is coming in on a match-day, the atmosphere and just playing in the Premier League.

"It's the most exciting league in the world in my opinion and I just live for the game.

"I wouldn't know what to do with myself at weekends if I wasn't playing football."

Stoke would appear to have room to accommodate Gudjohnsen in tomorrow's starting line-up after injuries to Kenwyne Jones (groin), Jon Walters (ankle) and Jermaine Pennant (hamstring) in the second half of Saturday's 1-1 draw at home to West Ham United.

WhiteJC

http://tribalfootball.com/hughes-fulham-already-adjusting-zamora-absence-1126501?
Hughes: Fulham already adjusting to Zamora absence

Fulham boss Mark Hughes feels they've already adjusted their play without crocked striker Bobby Zamora.

Talisman Zamora was ruled out for five months after a picking up a nasty leg injury against Wolves last weekend.

But Hughes was delighted with his team's battling performance on Saturday as they sealed a 1-1 draw at his former club Blackburn.

The Cottagers boss said: "It was our first game without Bobby and obviously we're going to miss him.

"He's a quality player and he was the main focus of our attack. That was the intention this year and Bobby was going to be a big part of what we did.

"Unfortunately he's going to missing for possibly five months and we've got to get on with it. I've got good players that can come in and have an impact for us.

"We can't look at players that aren't here - we've got to look at the ones we have and make sure they have an impact.

"I think they did on Saturday against Blackburn."

WhiteJC

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2010/09/full_on_week_for_fulham.php?
Full On Week for Fulham
Posted by Phil Mison
Starting with a tricky Carling Cup trip to Stoke Tuesday then Everton next up in the League at the Cottage. Will Fulham still hold their unbeaten tag 7 days from now, and is Mark closer to knowing his ideal starting XI?

Not the tie we might have wished for in the Carling Cup, but with Mark's record in this competition expect a strong line up for another dose of industrial football at the Britannia. Stoke did enough to beat West Ham Saturday but dropped more points to sit just outside the bottom three. Pulis will of course send out a team to battle, and we've only beaten Stoke once in four attempts since their promotion.

I sense the Potters could be on the cusp of suffering the 2nd season syndrome and may go the way of Hull. Or in Kenwyne Jones find the firepower to stay clear of the relegation battle. We might be the team of many talents, but it's no good playing all the fancy stuff and seeing us go down 2-0 to headed goals from Delap long throws. Pray Big Mark's got over his attack of the collywobbles.

I feel there is leeway for a degree of experimentation Tuesday in light of our games to date. We definitely need to be working opposing goalkeepers more and must stop 'losing' the first half. For all our firepower from midfield and across the front-line, just one real save demanded of Robinson at Blackburn? And that from our left-back. We've learnt to be patient under Roy with the passing game from front to back and nobody wants that to change, but there has to be more end product. Hahnemann was hardly busy in our one win, we scored at Blackpool from our only attack of the first half. They may be neighbours but Stoke are not Port Vale.

Murphy is yet to get a shot on target. Etuhu's been asked to rampage forward, but he's not going to turn into Frank Lampard in 4 weeks. Fielding two wingers at present who are not getting to the by-line is a luxury we can't afford. I saw Davies and Duff repeatedly checked and jockeyed inside by the Rovers defenders on Saturday, meaning the ball went backwards. Our quick forwards need balls pinged in from the flanks in front of them, especially without BZ and his height leading the line.

From set plays we only have Hangeland offering any height in the box. More shots must come in from range, Gera is one player who offers that, he's also useful with his head. Take Duff or Davies out of the side to accomodate him, he was after all many supporters player of last season. Play Dembele wide to turn defenders and give Clint free reign up front. Should Mark fancy a gamble maybe throw Elm into the mix? I'd also like to see Briggs given another run out, and I'm no fan of Kelly long term. How has he come up the pecking order? Restore Pants or Baird, both are more deserving of a start.

John needs an arm put round him and has to be loved - that's obvious. He's had his wobble, now build him up again, he personifies the collective team spirit. He's made a perhaps unwise 'farewell' to the fans on Facebook. Bring him back into the fold or risk losing him in January.

It may be fanciful conjecture, but I sense Fulham are slowly developing along Arsenal lines. The difference being that Wenger knows you make it count when you get up to the box. That's why they and Chelsea are currently a class apart. Where we have struggled in recent seaons it has obviously been when goals dried up. Radzinski was picking up money for nothing in the last 18 months of his time, Kamara never showed the appetite for scoring he's done elsewhere and Sanchez was doomed once Brian got crocked.

Plenty for Hughes to ponder. At time of writing Stoke have injury doubts in key areas for the Cup tie so might that sway his final selection? Well done Salcido for an assured start with FFC.

Whatever we learn about the boss from the Stoke trip, league points remain paramount. Everton as we all know have a lousy record at the Cottage and they arrive Saturday in the bottom three off the back of a sloppy home loss to Newcastle. It might seem bread and butter football but a big week for the Whites will have everyone sit up and take notice. The foundations for a really big season start here.

FFC, more than a club, a lifestyle choice of pride and passion

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/stoke-city/6389901/Pulis-ponders-changes-for-Fulham-tie?
Pulis ponders changes for Fulham tie

Stoke boss Tony Pulis is likely to make several changes for the visit of Fulham in the Carling Cup on Tuesday night.

The team that faced Shrewsbury in the previous round featured six adjustments and Pulis is set to make use of his squad once again.

Kenwyne Jones, Jermaine Pennant and Jon Walters could all miss out after coming off injured during Saturday's 1-1 draw with West Ham.

Potters (from): Sorensen, Huth, Faye, Collins, Shawcross, Wilson, Delap, Whitehead, Etherington, Fuller, Gudjohnsen, Tuncay, Higginbotham, Begovic, Wilkinson, Whelan, Pugh, Nash, Tonge, Lund, Soares.

WhiteJC

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/43925/New_signing_Salcido_earns_Hughes_praise.aspx?
New signing Salcido earns Hughes praise

Carlos Salcido showed enough on his debut to confirm he will be a big hit with Fulham, according to manager Mark Hughes.

The Mexico full-back made his debut during Saturday's 1-1 draw with Blackburn Rovers and made an immediate impression after providing the cross for Clint Dempsey's second-half equaliser.

The 30-year-old defender arrived at Craven Cottage in a £1.6million deal from PSV Eindhoven towards the end of the summer transfer window.

"I was really pleased with Carlos' debut against Blackburn," Hughes told the club's official website.

"He hasn't had a lot of time with the team in training but obviously he very quickly understood what the game was about after a nervous couple of minutes.

"He looked like he was really enjoying himself at the end of the match and produced a great ball for the equaliser.
"He's going to be a really important player for us."

WhiteJC

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/sep/20/chris-baird-home-petrol-bombed?
Footballer Chris Baird's family home petrol bombed
Northern Ireland player's mother escapes unhurt after 'sectarian' bombing thought to be second attack on house in three weeks

The mother of the Northern Ireland footballer Chris Baird escaped injury after a petrol bomb was thrown at her home in what police believe may have been a sectarian attack.

The bomb was thrown at the window of the house in Rasharkin, Co Antrim, in the early hours of yesterday morning. A passerby helped put out the fire and a number of people inside escaped injury.

Police said a sectarian motive was one line of inquiry. The bombing is understood to be the second attack on the house in three weeks.

Daithi McKay, a local Sinn Féin politician, described the attack as attempted murder. "It is quite clear they are being targeted because they are a Catholic family," he said. "People are shocked and very angry that they have been singled out."

Rasharkin is a religiously mixed village. However, in recent months, there have been ongoing tensions with tit-for-tat attacks on homes and other properties.

Democratic Unionist politician Mervyn Storey condemned the attack on the Baird family home as "despicable".

"Yet again we have another family subjected to sectarian hatred and unfortunately the reality is that since April of this year we have had something like 16 sectarian attacks in Rasharkin and 25 since the beginning of the year," he said.

"It is a hate crime. It is someone venting their hatred and their anger for whatever reason on someone who should not be attacked in this way."

Baird, who plays for Fulham, is not the first Northern Ireland player to be singled out for sectarian intimidation. In 2002, Celtic's current manager, Neil Lennon, quit the international squad after repeated abuse from a section of Northern Ireland supporters owing to him being Catholic and playing for the Glasgow club with a large Catholic following. Death threats were also issued against the Co Armagh-born midfielder.

The most serious incident involving a footballer occurred in the late 1970s when loyalist paramilitaries attempted to kill the Irish League player Matt Bradley while he was training in Bangor, near Belfast. A gunman riding on a motorbike broke into the club's Clandeboye Park ground and chased Bradley around the pitch. The west Belfast player managed to escape injury in the murder bid.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=213869
Hughes Reckons Fulham Need to Be..........!
It`s now twenty-three games, away from home, in the Premier League in which we`ve failed to register a win.

Thankfully, although the statistic doesn`t look that good, we can take some crumbs of comfort from the fact that we`re picking up draws at ground, this season, that might be considered difficult grounds to get anything from.

On Saturday, we came back from behind (again) to share the spoils with Blackburn.

But Mark Hughes wants, quite rightly, more, Mark wants us to grab all those three points available and in his post match press interview, remarked as such, concentrating on being more dynamic and possibly as a consequence, more adventurous,

"I just think we needed to be a little more dynamic as a team."

"I wanted us to dictate to the opposition rather than the other way round. We`ve shown a lot of good qualities at places not easy to go to."

Is Mark right or should we adopt a safety-first attitude on the road?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=213869#ixzz104jRJmK6

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6390128/Hughes-planning-show-of-strength?
Hughes planning show of strength

Fulham manager Mark Hughes will select a strong team for Tuesday night's Carling Cup third-round clash at Stoke.

Hughes admitted his recent arrival at Craven Cottage means he wants to run the rule over his first choice line-up as much as possible.

Andy Johnson (knee) is still three to four weeks away from a first team return while Philippe Senderos (Achilles) and Bobby Zamora (knee) are long-term absentees.

Diomansy Kamara (foot) is back in training but David Stockdale (ankle) has three more weeks on the sidelines.

Fulham (from): Schwarzer, Zuberbuhler, Kelly, Pantsil, Salcido, Baird, Hangeland, Hughes, Halliche, Gera, Murphy, Duff, Riise, Etuhu, Dempsey, Greening, Davies, Dikgacoi, Elm, Dembele, Briggs.

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2010/09/sam-the-two-of-us-need-look-no-more/?
Sam, The Two of Us Need Look No More...
by GATESY on SEPTEMBER 20, 2010

I'm a big man. I can stand up and admit that I was wrong about something and I think this may be one of the occasions.

I was wrong about 'Big Sam.'

It turns out he's brilliant. Since their dubious tactics for the goal they scored against us at the weekend I've heard some people 'dissing (I believe that's what the kids say – I heard it on "Being N-Dubs") 'Big Sam' and his style of football. They are wrong too. Let me show you why.

He recently said he should become the next England gaffer. I agree. If I was head of the FA, and someday I'm sure I will be, I'd give it to him in an instant. He knows how to play effective, if not attractive, football. He kept Bolton up in the Premiership for ages and is doing the same with Blackburn too. OK Newcastle wasn't his finest hour, but that was a sinking ship anyway... For too long England have tried to play champagne passing football and failed. We're not good enough. Get 'Big Sam' in who can make the most of what he's got. I guarantee we wouldn't have had that showing in South Africa had 'Big Sam' been the gaffer...

This season 'Big Sam' has really come into his own in my opinion recently is because of his comments and press conferences. Until recently he's been a yes man to SAF, agreeing with him about stoppage times, referees and until the summer Rafa. Let us ignore his massive hierocracy about his beef with Wenger discussing referees when The Big Man is at it all the time himself too. But now he's become his own man, stepped out of SAF shadows and is really taking it up a level. This weekend alone he's come out to say he'd be wicked if he were Real Madrid manager. I would love to see the 'Big Sam' revolution in Spain.

"I'm not suited to Bolton or Blackburn, I would be more suited to Internazionale or Real Madrid, it wouldn't be a problem to me to go and manage those clubs because I would win the Double or the league every time. Give me Manchester United or Chelsea and I would do the same, it wouldn't be a problem. It's not where I'm suited to, it's just where I've been for most of the time. It's not a problem to take me into the higher reaches of the Champions League or Premier League and would make my job a lot easier in winning it."

Pedro wouldn't know what had hit him when he breezed in and they splashed the cash on Jason Roberts, Michael Rickets and Mark Bunn. But what question could have brought such an answer from him? "Do you think Mark Hughes is more suited to Fulham?" was the question which prompted 'Big Sam' telling us he'd be king of the world were it not for a poor media image of him being portrayed. Even Gatesy in his most egotistical and self centered moments would struggle to do this. And that takes some doing. Well done you, 'Big Sam'!

And there was his little squabbles with Rafa. They amused me and helped me soften to The Big Man. But now he's lost his sparring partner and misses him.

"I am gutted that Rafa Benitez has gone. He hated me and I used to love winding him up."

Now that's something else admire. I think we'd get along like a house on fire winding people up and putting the (footballing) world to rights over a pint of mild down Wetherspoons.

But he's not arrogant. No Siree Bob. 'Big Sam' passes on some advice that we can all use to better ourselves, and shows he could well be one of our times great thinkers

"John McGrath, my old coach at Preston, used to say, 'The arrogant man doesn't learn because he thinks he knows it all.' John is dead now, God rest his soul, tremendous advice."

I'll admit it. I was wrong. Sorry.  'Big Sam', even though I may not agree with your style of football (such as sending a forward out to clatter the keeper so somebody else can head the ball into an empty net) but you are indeed a national treasure and an asset to the Premier League.

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/9009908.stm?
Stoke    v    Fulham

TEAM NEWS
Eidur Gudjohnsen, who came on as a substitute for Stoke against West Ham on Saturday, could be handed a starting place for Tuesday's cup tie.

Kenwyne Jones, Jermaine Pennant and Jon Walters all picked up knocks at the weekend and are among those likely to be rested.

Fulham manager Mark Hughes is also tipped to make changes.

Hughes is without Rafik Halliche and Fredrik Stoor, who are sidelined with groin injuries.

MATCH PREVIEW
This is one of six all-Premier League ties in this round, and involves two clubs that have tended to struggle against top-flight opposition in the League Cup.

Last season, Stoke were knocked out by struggling Portsmouth in the Potters' first match against a Premier League team in 16 ties. Fulham, meanwhile, have not knocked out a side from the top division since they beat Birmingham six years ago.
Having thrashed Stoke's neighbours Port Vale 6-0 in the previous round - the London club's largest ever win in this competition - Fulham are now looking to progress to the last 16 for the first time since they reached the quarter-finals in 2004/05.

Stoke, League Cup finalists in 1964 and winners in 1972, have made a disappointing start to their season, whereas unbeaten Fulham are seventh in the table and defying predictions that they could fade following the summer departure of manager Roy Hodgson.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head
• Stoke have won 25 and Fulham 27 of the 67 competitive meetings between these clubs. Both have scored 97 goals against each other.

• They have met only once before in the League Cup: a second-round tie in 1994, which Stoke won on away goals.

Stoke
• Stoke have reached the fourth round in the last two seasons. Before that, they went out in the first two rounds seven years in a row.
• Spanning last season, the Potters have won only three of their last 10 home matches.

Fulham
• Fulham, League Cup quarter-finalists in 1968, 1971 and 2000, have drawn all three of their away matches this term.
• If selected, goalkeeper David Stockdale will be making his 100th career appearance.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/09/20/fulham-have-ended-away-day-misery-says-mark-hughes-82029-27304972/?
Fulham have ended away-day misery, says Mark Hughes

FULHAM boss Mark Hughes reckons his side have finally turned the corner away from home.

The Whites are without a Premier League win on the road for more than a year, but are unbeaten this season following draws at Bolton, Blackpool and Blackburn.

Hughes said: "Historically we're not very good on the road and a game against Blackburn was one that we invariably lost in the past, but we earned a draw and showed some good signs.

"It's another away point and that's three from three away games and we remain. We've had a good start.

"We've been to three difficult places, Bolton, Blackpool and Blackburn. They're not easy places to go to but we've shown good qualities and have stood up to the challenge in all three games. We've come back with most of the games recently and that's a really good quality."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/09/20/fulham-have-ended-away-day-misery-says-mark-hughes-82029-27304972/?#ixzz1053JX0i2

WhiteJC

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/football-league/1258/4/burley-tells-fulham-i-dont-have-sell-speroni?
Burley tells Fulham: 'I don't have to sell Speroni'

George Burley has told Fulham he is under no pressure to sell Julian Speroni this winter.

Fulham asked Crystal Palace about the possibility of signing the Argentinian goalkeeper in the summer transfer window, when Celtic were also interested in him.

Speroni has been voted the Palace player of the year the past three seasons and there have been calls for the goalkeeper to be called up to Argentina's national side.

And Fulham are now reportedly ready to try for the 31-year-old again when the transfer window opens in January but Palace manager Burley insists the goalkeeper will stay put at Selhurst Park.

"I was told by the new consortium here that there is no pressure to sell Julian - we do not want to see him go," Burley said.

"He is a great character to have around the place and he is still maturing.

"We worked very hard to keep him this summer and we're delighted he stayed."

WhiteJC

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/premier-league-defender-could-be-subject-of-arsena?
Premier League defender could be subject of Arsenal and Liverpool bidding war in January
Brede Hangeland has been tipped for a big january move by Morten Gamst Pedersen

Morten Gamst Pedersen believes it is only a matter of time before Brede Hangeland leaves Fulham for Arsenal or Liverpool.

Hangeland has been linked with a move away from the West Londoners for a while now but has so far been loyal to his employers.

Arsenal were the one team that were repeatedly interested, although Roy Hodgson-managed Liverpool were also linked at one point.

The Gunners brought Laurent Koscielny and Sebastien Squillaci to the Emirates Stadium in the summer to ease their defensive worries.

However, Arsene Wenger will have a £50 million warchest in January and he is likely to target a centre back yet again but will face competition from Liverpool.

Hangeland's compatriot Pedersen believes that his country's captain deserves a move to a bigger club anf Arsenal would fit that bill.

The Norweigian told Sky Sports: "It is no shock clubs like Arsenal have been linked with him. I think it is only a matter of time before one of those clubs buys him.

"There was talk about whether he would go with Roy Hodgson to Liverpool. He is a fantastic player and a fantastic person. I think that he will get a bigger club.

"He is happy at Fulham. But he is a professional and if he continues performing like he has been, it is hard to see him not being hunted by a big club."

Hangeland will go down as one of Hodgson's best bargain buys when the former Inter Milan boss utilized his Scandinavian contacts and brought him to the Premier League from FC Copenhagen in 2008 for just £2.5 million.

And there could be a battle for his signature as Hodgson has managed the 28-year-old while at both Viking and Fulham and would love to bring him to Anfield.

WhiteJC

http://sport.virginmedia.com/football/article/2010/09/20/hughes_not_planning_changes_for_cup_clash?
Hughes not planning changes for cup clash
Mark Hughes believes Fulham are capable of meeting this week's heavy workload without making changes to their team.

The Cottagers travel to Stoke for the third round of the Carling Cup - the second of three matches in eight days.

Hughes, who was appointed Fulham manager in late July, is ready to select his strongest available line-up once again as he continues to asses the strength of his side.

"I made the point before and after the last round that we are very early in the season and we don't need to make many changes," he said.

"From a new manager's point of view, I want to see the core elements of my team play as much as possible.

"That might be different for other clubs who have managers who know their teams inside out. That is a different situation, but for me it helps seeing them play as many times as I can."

Tom

Quote from: WhiteJC on September 20, 2010, 07:54:29 AM
http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/DictatingThePlay.aspx?
Dictating The Play

Fulham once again came from behind last weekend to earn another valuable point on their travels and Mark Hughes' desire to encourage his Team to take this initiative in matches is clearly paying dividends.

"Historically we've not been very good on the road and a game against Blackburn was one that we invariably lost in the past, but we earned a draw and showed some good signs," Hughes told fulhamfc.com. "It's another away point and that's three away points in three games and we remain unbeaten. We've had a good start.

"We've been to three difficult places, Bolton, Blackpool and Blackburn. They're not easy places to go but we've shown good qualities and have stood up to the challenge in all three games. We've come back in most of the games recently and that's a really good quality that I've been pleased to see in the Team.

"I didn't have the benefit of looking at the Team in pre-season. I saw them in a friendly against Portsmouth and I felt they did a lot of good work up until a certain point. I felt that if we were a little bit more dynamic as a Team and recognise when we can drive forward with the ball then that would add something to us.

"Instead of conceding ground and letting the opposition to take the initiative I wanted the Team to take the initiative themselves in matches and dictate the opposition."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/DictatingThePlay.aspx?#ixzz103BMcAGR
Who is Clint hugging in the picture?
Fulham for life!

JBH

Clint is Hugging fellow Fulham and USA team mate Eddie Johnson

Tom

Quote from: JBH on September 20, 2010, 07:11:50 PM
Clint is Hugging fellow Fulham and USA team mate Eddie Johnson
Thanks JBH. Forgot about EJ and he looks a lot bigger than I remember him looking. And why is he wearing gray shorts and not red ones like the players in case he gets put into the game in which he did?
Fulham for life!