watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Terry Axed As England Captain After 'Affair'

Started by Huge, February 05, 2010, 03:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huge

John Terry has been dropped as England football captain following a meeting with the national manager Fabio Capello over his alleged affair, Sky News sources say.

Terry is captain for club and country

Sky correspondent Ian Dovaston said: "I am sure that John Terry thought this was a great possibility, that Fabio Capello would take this view.

"Clearly the manager believes he has been so mired in controversy that he would become a distraction in the build-up to the World Cup.

"The last thing he wants is any distraction as they go into a very important competition."

Capello flew into the UK on Thursday amid continuing speculation that Terry could have to quit his role as the side's skipper just months ahead of this summer's World Cup finals in South Africa.

The player had made no announcement regarding his captaincy, which was cast in doubt following claims that he had a liaison with the ex-partner of former Chelsea and current England team-mate Wayne Bridge.

Fabio Capello (centre)

Capello flew into London's Heathrow Airport from Switzerland, where he has been recovering from a knee operation.

The Football Association made it clear that Capello alone would decide the 29-year-old Chelsea defender's fate.

Capello did not stop to speak to reporters as he was ushered through Terminal One and into a silver Mercedes.

The manager walked with a clear limp as he made his way through airport arrivals.

Vanessa Perroncel

He was understood to be keen to have the captaincy issue settled before he travels to Warsaw for the qualifying draw for the 2012 European Championships this weekend.

Married father-of-two Terry has been the subject of many lurid headlines over the past few days, detailing his alleged relationship with Vanessa Perroncel.

She was believed to have been offered up to £250,000 for her side of the story - but has now decided she would not be selling her story.

The allegations relating to his private life came to light after a gagging order was lifted by Mr Justice Tugendhat at the High Court in London on Friday last week.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/John-Terry-Dropped-As-England-Captain-Over-Affair-With-Model-After-Talks-With-Boss-Fabio-Capello/Article/201002115542857?lpos=UK_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15542857_John_Terry_Dropped_As_England_Captain_Over_Affair_With_Model_After_Talks_With_Boss_Fabio_Capello
The Dude abides

LBNo11

...quite right too.

Such a shame that if Terry had been expecting the decision that he hadn't taken the honourable decision to resign his captaincy earlier, so that it didn't effect or distract the England team...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

FatFreddysCat

Some new dirt on him today is he has been hiring out his heavily discounted Wembley Box for £4000 a pop despite it being against the FA rules. I think it's actually more wrong that Chelsea haven't taken the armband off him seeing it was a club team mate.

finnster01

It is ironic that the replacement is Rio and the "unnamed player" is the scouser Gerrard. All of whom are clearly lacking a few bits and pieces on the moral and ethics side off the pitch.

What a mess. It doesn't make me very proud whatever they end up doing, and it is sad that the one that actually shows character in all of this is an Italian after Sir Trevor and his mates ran to hide in the hills.

The FA is an absolute joke and at an all time low.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

mofulham

This scandal had some interesting fallout back in the States.  On a football phone-in show, Eric Wynalda (second highest alltime US internatioal goal scorer ) was asked what he thought about the Terry affair.  He then explained that before the '98 World Cup, the US captain at the time, John Harkes, had an affair with his wife.  Not only did Harkes lose the captain's armband, but he wasnt even named to the World Cup squad.  They kept this quiet for all these years, and only now do people know why Harkes didnt make the team.

The Fulham related part of this is that Harkes is now a commentator, and he is the one who always trashes Dempsey's play.

manxman

I dont really like terry, but i think capello has made the wrong decision by changing captain just a couple of months away from the world cup. I think this could effect the teams perfomance.

But ferdinand for captain now? i would prefere gary neville! Ferdinand is clumsy and unreliable. Gerrard would of been my second choice.  8)
"What in the hell is diversity?"
"Well, I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era."

leonffc

Quote from: manxman on February 05, 2010, 09:32:57 PM
I dont really like terry, but i think capello has made the wrong decision by changing captain just a couple of months away from the world cup. I think this could effect the teams perfomance.

But ferdinand for captain now? i would prefere gary neville! Ferdinand is clumsy and unreliable. Gerrard would of been my second choice.  8)

Agreed manxman (apart from the Neville bit). I'm glad Terry wont be lifting it but Rio?? 8 months ban for missing a drugs test???? Saying that, I bet Rob Green is the only one with a clean record and thats only cos he spends more time up mountains for charity than in Funky Budha

finnster01

Capello had no choice if he wants to keep his new discipline regimen in place. And I think he should. Fair marks to the Italian for making the obvious decision.

And by the way if you think who is England captain will make a difference to whether we will lift the cup or not at the end of the day with this bunch of lousy characters, you are smoking some serious Moroccan black mate. They are all borderline jail birds the lot of them.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

OldBrownShoe

Honourable and Terry don't quite go together do they LB?
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

fulhamguy

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on February 05, 2010, 04:35:37 PM
Some new dirt on him today is he has been hiring out his heavily discounted Wembley Box for £4000 a pop despite it being against the FA rules. I think it's actually more wrong that the dark side haven't taken the armband off him seeing it was a club team mate.

To be fair to Terry (which pains me to say), this one isn't really his fault and it's them just jumping on the bandwagon to slate him... quotes in the article the Daily Mail website:

'It was unclear whether the box was being offered with Terry's knowledge.'

'Last night Terry's spokesman Phil Hall said White had been acting 'on his own' when he offered the box.

'He said: "I have spoken with Paul Nicholls and the box is run by his promotions company, Sports Marketing and Promotions, of which he is sole director. When Anthony White asked Paul for the box, Paul replied "I'm sorry Anthony, we are not allowed to sell it on. We never would do."
COYW!

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: fulhamaustin on February 05, 2010, 11:04:20 PM
Quote from: FatFreddysCat on February 05, 2010, 04:35:37 PM
Some new dirt on him today is he has been hiring out his heavily discounted Wembley Box for £4000 a pop despite it being against the FA rules. I think it's actually more wrong that the dark side haven't taken the armband off him seeing it was a club team mate.

To be fair to Terry (which pains me to say), this one isn't really his fault and it's them just jumping on the bandwagon to slate him... quotes in the article the Daily Mail website:

'It was unclear whether the box was being offered with Terry's knowledge.'Yeah and the £10k {cash only} for (charity)  for Terry to give a personnel tour of scumford Bridge was done without his knowledge. I hate to say he's a great player, but as a person he's a dog turd.

'Last night Terry's spokesman Phil Hall said White had been acting 'on his own' when he offered the box.

'He said: "I have spoken with Paul Nicholls and the box is run by his promotions company, Sports Marketing and Promotions, of which he is sole director. When Anthony White asked Paul for the box, Paul replied "I'm sorry Anthony, we are not allowed to sell it on. We never would do."

LBNo11

"'It was unclear whether the box was being offered with Terry's knowledge.'

Sorry, I have been on this earth long enough to be able to spot fabricated comments!

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Steve_orino

Good.  He should have stepped down though, rather than letting Capello have to make a decision.

Go USA! :D
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09