watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (21/09/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 21, 2010, 07:20:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/9/20/1699642/my-5-keys-to-victory-for-fulham?
My 5 Keys To Victory For Fulham Against Stoke City

Fulham play tomorrow on the road at the Britannia Stadium against Stoke City. This game is the third round of the Carling Cup. The game takes place at 7:45 PM UK Time and 2:45 PM EST. The game will not be televised in the United States. 

After a draw on Saturday can Fulham actually get a win on the road in the Carling Cup? Fulham did not fare well last season against Stoke City. They lost 3-2 at the Britannia Stadium, and also lost 1-0 at Craven Cottage. 

Tony Pulis is the manager of Blackburn, and has done a great job with his club. There are two players I would focus on tomorrow for Stoke City. Matthew Etherington is a dangerous player that scored the winning goal against Fulham last season at Craven Cottage. Another player to watch is Eidur Gudjohnson. Fulham tried to get the striker in the transfer window, but he decided to play at Stoke City. He is a goal scorer and someone that Fulham need to contain tomorrow. 

As I do before every match I do my 5 "keys" that I hope will lead to a victory for Fulham. Below are " My 5 Keys To Victory For Fulham Against Stoke City".   

1. Fulham need to defend well on set pieces. Blackburn's only goal yesterday came from a long kick by goalkeeper Paul Robinson, who got the ball in the box, which eventually led to Chris Samba slamming it in the back of the net. Fulham have struggled on defending set pieces on the road for awhile now. They will need to do better against Stoke City.

2. Mark Schwarzer needs to be solid in net. I thought Mark Schwarzer had a very shaky game against Blackburn. To beat Stoke City he is going to have play much better. He looked very uncomfortable on set pieces. I am hoping we will see the Schwarzer that played last season for Fulham.

3. The strikers need to finish and get shots on net. Fulham's passing at times against Blackburn was phenomenal. However, when they would edge close to the box the play would tend to break down. Fulham need their strikers to get into position to shoot and let it fly. My feeling for tomorrow is the more shots the better. Even if they are far away, let the goalkeeper know you are going to be active and take your chances.

4. Carlos Salcido needs to be involved in the offensive threats for Fulham. It is only one game, but what I saw from Carlos Salcido at left back against Blackburn was very encouraging. He needs to push forward against Stoke City. He has shown the ability to pass and shoot. I think he could be another scoring threat for Fulham coming from the defense.

5. Danny Murphy needs to control the game. It seems on many occasions when Murphy plays well, the club usually has a good result. With his passing he really does have the ability to set up scoring opportunities. I am expecting a big game from Murphy.   

This should be a difficult opponent for Fulham. I think it is a great test for the club. If they can advance in the Carling Cup with a victory it could really help with momentum going into the weekend match with Everton at Craven Cottage.   

WhiteJC

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/preview?id=307970&cc=5739
Pulis ponders changes

Stoke boss Tony Pulis is likely to make several changes for the visit of Fulham in the Carling Cup.
• Blog: Full on week for Fulham
The team that faced Shrewsbury in the previous round featured six adjustments and Pulis is set to make use of his squad once again.

Kenwyne Jones, Jermaine Pennant and Jon Walters could all miss out after coming off injured during Saturday's 1-1 draw with West Ham.

Stoke were knocked out in the fourth round of the Carling Cup last season and Ryan Shawcross is looking for a decent run this time out.

"It's a game that we are all looking forward to,'' he said.

"We want to do well in the cups this year - it is something the club needs to strive for. If the gaffer puts out a strong team, I'm sure we will be fine.

"Everyone wants to get to cup finals and we are no different. Hopefully we can get the win against Fulham and push on.''

Fulham manager Mark Hughes will select a strong team for clash.

Hughes admitted his recent arrival at Craven Cottage means he wants to run the rule over his first choice line-up as much as possible.

Andy Johnson (knee) is still three to four weeks away from a first team return while Philippe Senderos (Achilles) and Bobby Zamora (knee) are long-term absentees.

Diomansy Kamara (foot) is back in training but David Stockdale (ankle) has three more weeks on the sidelines.

Mark Hughes believes Fulham are capable of meeting this week's heavy workload without making changes to their team.

The Cottagers travel to Stoke for the second of three matches in eight days.

Hughes, who was appointed Fulham manager in late July, is ready to select his strongest available line-up once again as he continues to asses the strength of his side.

"I made the point before and after the last round that we are very early in the season and we don't need to make many changes,'' he said.

"From a new manager's point of view, I want to see the core elements of my team play as much as possible.

"That might be different for other clubs who have managers who know their teams inside out.

"That is a different situation, but for me it helps seeing them play as many times as I can.

"Physically we recover as well as anybody and we never compromise by playing anybody when they are not fully recovered, so it's not an issue.

"I made the point before and after the last round against Port Vale that we're very early in the season and I don't think you need to make that many changes.''

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6390483/Hughes-Cottagers-up-to-the-challenge?
Hughes: Cottagers up to the challenge

Mark Hughes believes Fulham are capable of meeting this week's heavy workload without making changes to their team.

The Cottagers travel to Stoke on Tuesday for the third round of the Carling Cup - the second of three matches in eight days.

Hughes, who was appointed Fulham manager in late July, is ready to select his strongest available line-up once again as he continues to asses the strength of his side.

"I made the point before and after the last round that we are very early in the season and we don't need to make many changes," he said.

"From a new manager's point of view, I want to see the core elements of my team play as much as possible.

"That might be different for other clubs who have managers who know their teams inside out.

"That is a different situation, but for me it helps seeing them play as many times as I can.

"Physically we recover as well as anybody and we never compromise by playing anybody when they are not fully recovered, so it's not an issue.

"I made the point before and after the last round against Port Vale that we're very early in the season and I don't think you need to make that many changes."

Fulham have enjoyed an unbeaten start to the season but Hughes is determined to address the abysmal away form that continues to hinder the club's progress.

So far this term they have secured draws at Bolton, Blackpool and Blackburn, but have not won on their travels in the Premier League for over a year.

Hughes is encouraged by what he has seen so far but wants to make the breakthrough, even if it comes in the Carling Cup.

"I've come into a new club and am trying new things and not dismantling what was there but adding a more positive slant, certainly away from home," he said.

"It's been a good start in those terms and we will look to keep that going against Stoke, who are always very strong at home."

The 1-1 draw with Blackburn on Saturday was Fulham's first game without Bobby Zamora and Hughes is confident they can still thrive without their star striker, who is out with a broken leg.

"Last Saturday was our first game without Bobby and obviously we're going to miss him because he's a quality player who was the main focus of our attack," he said.

"That was the intention this year and Bobby was going to be a big part of what we did.

"He's going to missing for possibly five months and we've got to get on with it.

"I've got good players that can come in and make an impact for us.

"We can't look at players that aren't here - we've got to look at the ones we have and make sure they have an impact and I think they did on Saturday against Blackburn."

WhiteJC

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/sep/20/damien-duff-republic-ireland-squad?
Damien Duff among four players restored to Republic of Ireland squad
• Duff, Andrews, Treacy and O'Dea missed last two games
• Euro 2012 qualifiers coming up against Russia and Slovakia

Damien Duff has been back in action for Fulham since missing the Republic of Ireland's Euro 2012 qualifiers against Armenia and Andorra. Photograph: Joe Giddens/Empics Sport
Four players who missed the Republic of Ireland's last two Euro 2012 qualifiers have been included in a provisional 26-man squad ahead of the games against Russia and Slovakia.

Damien Duff, Keith Andrews, Keith Treacy and Darren O'Dea missed the recent wins over Armenia and Andorra.

Duff, 31, Treacy and O'Dea have been back in action for their respective clubs Fulham, Preston North End and Ipswich Town, but Andrews has yet to return for Blackburn Rovers.

The Republic of Ireland manager, Giovanni Trapattoni, has also included the CSKA Sofia striker Cillian Sheridan again. The 21-year-old former Celtic player was drafted into the squad ahead of the last two games following the injury withdrawals.

Trapattoni warned that Russia and Slovakia remain the Republic's biggest rivals. "We go into these qualifiers with six points from six in the opening games of the campaign in September," he said. "We performed well against Armenia and Andorra and we will build on these good results in our next games.

"These teams are the top seeds in the group and they will be looking to take three points from us to kickstart their Euro campaigns. But we have prepared well and will not make it easy for them as we continue to lay the foundations to qualify for the European Championship finals."

WhiteJC

http://www.stokecityfc.com/page/MatchPreview/0,,10310~2160249,00.html?
Fulham Match Preview
Posted on: Mon 20 Sep 2010
MATCHPREVIEW
Stoke City v Fulham
Tuesday 21st September
Carling Cup
Britannia Stadium
Kick-Off 7.45pm

INTRODUCING FULHAM

MARK HUGHES has a hard act to follow at Fulham . . . following the remarkable success which the Club enjoyed under Roy Hodgson last season.

A remarkable European adventure saw them achieve the astonishing feat of reaching the Europa League Final where they eventually lost to Atletico Madrid, but they also progressed as far as the quarter finals of the FA Cup in a marathon effort.

It's hard to imagine that Fulham will be able to match those achievements this season, although they have begun promisingly enough since Hughes succeeded Hodgson just before the big kick-off and they will be hoping for success in the Carling Cup.

Their chances of mounting a strong challenge for honours did, however, suffer a major setback 10 days ago when England striker Bobby Zamora sustained a broken leg and damaged ankle ligaments which will sideline him for the best part of five months.

Zamora had emerged as a key figure in Fulham's success story last season and having ruled himself out of a possible World Cup call-up to undergo a much-needed operation on an Achilles injury, he had been aiming to make an even bigger impact.

Nevertheless, the West London club showed throughout their gruelling 2009-10 campaign that they had the quality within their squad to overcome such setbacks, and having made further additions during the summer they will hope to do likewise.

Most notably, Belgian striker Mousa Dembele has made his mark since arriving from AZ Alkmaar and having opened his goalscoring account in the previous round against Port Vale, he scored a double in the 2-1 victory over Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Fulham could also be boosted soon by the return to full fitness of England striker Andrew Johnson, who has been troubled by long-term knee and groin problems, while Diomansy Kamara is another who could soon be available after a long lay-off.

Hughes has also brought in Mexican international Carlos Salcido as a direct replacement for Liverpool-bound Paul Konchesky, while Algerian international Rafike Halliche has also been brought in to bolster their defensive resources.

While Fulham began their Barclays Premier League programme with three successive draws against Bolton Wanderers, Manchester United and Blackpool, it was Dembele's double that secured them their first win at the expense of Wolves.

In the cases of both draws against United and Blackpool, it took late equalisers to snatch a point for Hughes' side with Brede Hangeland and Dixon Etuhu grabbing those all-important goals as both matches finished 2-2 in the end.

Fulham booked their place in third of the Carling Cup with an emphatic 6-0 victory over Port Vale, a game in which Zoltan Gera and Zamora both bagged a pair while Dembele and American international Clint Dempsey were also on target.

INQUOTES

DAVE KEMP:

"We want to do well in this competition and we will pick a side which we feel can win the game.

"There are players chomping at the bit and they will be desperate to get a chance and take it - that's the beauty of having a strong squad.

"Players like Tuncay, who have been frustrated so far, will come into consideration for the game, and if they are selected then I am sure they will do a very good job for us."

JON WALTERS:

"When you look at the squad we have here now you have to be honest with yourselves and say this is something we could realistically believe we can do well in," he told stokecityfc.com.

"The cup competitions are fantastic for the players because it gives us a realistic chance of doing something serious and going on to win something, which is what all footballers want to do.

"You obviously need the luck of the draw sometimes, but we do have the quality here to cause any team problems, and when the game is a one-off, as everyone knows, anything can happen.

"We would love to go to Wembley and win some silverware, which is what you want as a professional footballer. Whether it is this season or another season hopefully I can help Stoke to achieve something."

FASTFACTS

Full Name: Fulham Football Club
Nickname(s): The Cottagers
Founded: 1879 (as Fulham St Andrew's Church Sunday School)
Ground: Craven Cottage - Fulham, London (Capacity: 25,700)
Chairman: Mohamed Al-Fayed
Manager: Mark Hughes
2009/10: Premier League 12th

HEAD2HEAD

League: Won 24 Drew 15 Lost 25
FA Cup: Won 0 Drew 0 Lost 1
League Cup: Won 1 Drew 0 Lost 1
Total: Won 25 Drew 15 Lost 27

BLASTFROMTHEPAST

CITY'S last league win over Fulham came back in March 1993 when Don Mackay's Cottagers visited the Victoria Ground.

The match marked Bruce Grobbelaar's debut in goal for the Potters after his arrival from Liverpool on loan, but he was rarely tested as City were much the better side.

It took a Mark Stein penalty on 72 minutes to get the 1-0 win however - his 50th goal in the red and white stripes. It was yet another victory in a streak that saw only one loss in 31 games and a 25-match unbeaten run.

City were crowned Champions come May with 93 points whilst Fulham finished in twelfth position with 65 points.

City (4-4-2): Grobbelaar; Hockaday, Cranson (Ware), Sandford, Butler; Russell, Foley, Beeston, Gleghorn; Stein, Shaw (Regis).

Fulham (4-4-2): Stannard, Tucker, Pike (Ferney), Onwere, Newson, Thomas, Hails, Marshall, Farrell, Brazil, Kelly.

FORMGUIDE

Stoke City - LWLWD

Stoke 1-2 Tottenham Hotspur (21-08-2010)
Stoke 2-1 Shrewsbury Town (24-08-2010)
Chelsea 2-0 Stoke (28-08-2010)
Stoke City 2-1 Aston Villa (13-09-2010)
Stoke City 1-1 West Ham (18-09-2010)

Fulham - DWDWD

Fulham 2-2 Man Utd (22-08-2010)
Fulham 6-0 Port Vale (25-08-2010)
Blackpool 2-2 Fulham (28-08-2010)
Fulham 2-1 Wolves (11-09-2010)
Blackburn 1-1 Fulham (18-09-2010)

MATCHOFFICIALS

Referee: Mark Halsey
Assistants: G.B. Turner & D. Mohareb
Fourth Official: G. Salisbury

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=213926
Fulham - Troubled Times for Baird!
These are worrying times for Chris Baird.

Back home in Ireland, hi smother has been the victim of a sectarian attack when a petrol bomb was thrown through the window of her house in Rasharkin, Co. Antrim.

Thankfully, the bomb, thrown during the early hours of the night caused a fire that was soon put out by passers by.

Reports also suggest that this is the second attack on the house in the last three weeks.

Both sides of the sectarian divide have commented on the situation with the local Sinn Fein politician, Daithi McKay remarking,

'It is quite clear they are being targeted because they are a Catholic family.'

"People are shocked and very angry that they have been singled out.'

Whilst the local Democratic Unionist politician, Mervyn Storey, has commented,

'Yet again we have another family subjected to sectarian hatred and unfortunately the reality is that since April of this year we have had something like 16 sectarian attacks in Rasharkin and 25 since the beginning of the year."

'It is a hate crime. It is someone venting their hatred and their anger for whatever reason on someone who should not be attacked in this way.'

Our thoughts are with you Chris!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=213926#ixzz108v5Mdf2

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=213927
Stoke v Fulham Preview!
The Carling Cup takes centre stage during midweek with Fulham travelling to the Britannia Stadium to take on Stoke City.

On the surface we could have been awarded an easier tie with Stoke not being an easy place to go to. Nevertheless, our form this season does suggest that we can force a result there, even more so now that Mark Hughes has come out and inferred that he will be fielding the strongest side he has available.

Tony Pulis, on the other hand, could be set to make several changes. In their weekend fixture with West Ham, Kenwyne Jones, Jermaine Penant and Jon Walters all picked up knocks which could mean a first start for the ex-Chelsea man, Eidur Gudjohnsen.

In this all premier League clash, Fulham will be looking to defeat Premier League opposition for the first time in six years when Birmingham were the opposition.

Fulham will be looking to do something of a Potteries double have removed Stoke`s near-neighbours, Port Vale, in the previous round courtesy of a six goal hammering.

As far as meetings go between the clubs, Fulham have the edge in game sin all competitions, leading Stoke by 27 wins to 25. The clubs have met in this competition before when Stoke went through, on away goals, in 1994, although that was a second round tie.

With the tie having to be settled on the night, don`t bet on this one not going to extra-time!

COYW`s!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=213927#ixzz108vL9hMV

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/09/20/stoke-city-v-fulham-64767-27306870/?
Stoke City v Fulham

MARK Hughes looks set to name a strong side for tomorrow night's trip to Stoke City.

The Fulham boss will resist the temptation to make wholesale changes for the Carling Cup third round clash, with Jonathan Greening and Zoltan Gera the only fringe players likely to start.

Hughes said: 'Very early in the season, and as the new manager I want to see the core elements of my team as often as possible.

"It might be different for other managers who know their sides inside and out. But for me it helps if I see the team play as many times as I can.

"Physically, we never compromise any players who are not fully recovered – but at this time of the year it's not an issue."

David Stockdale (ankle), Freddrie Stoor and Rafik Halliche (both groin) remain sidelined.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/09/20/stoke-city-v-fulham-64767-27306870/?#ixzz108vit4sf

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6390910,00.html?
Hughes not planning changes
Fulham manager to send out first-choice side

Mark Hughes does not see the need to tinker with his Fulham side too much for the Carling Cup tie against Stoke.

While many Premier League managers are likely to rest their key men in the competition and give a chance to fringe players, Hughes is taking a different view.

Having only recently taken charge at Craven Cottage, Hughes is eager to send out his first XI at every opportunity as he continues to assess the strength of his side.

He is not thinking about resting anybody at such an early stage of the campaign and wants to progress further in the competition.

"I made the point before and after the last round that we are very early in the season and we don't need to make many changes," Hughes explained.

Positive

"I made the point before and after the last round against Port Vale that we're very early in the season and I don't think you need to make that many changes."

Fulham have enjoyed an unbeaten start to the season but Hughes is looking for improvement away from home, having so far drawn with Bolton, Blackpool and Blackburn.

"I've come into a new club and am trying new things and not dismantling what was there but adding a more positive slant, certainly away from home," he said.

"It's been a good start in those terms and we will look to keep that going against Stoke, who are always very strong at home."

WhiteJC

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/petrol-bomb-attack-on-footballerrsquos-mum-14954287.html?
Petrol bomb attack on footballer's mum
Northern Ireland star's home targeted by sectarian thugs

The home of the mother of Northern Ireland and Fulham footballer Chris Baird has been attacked for the second time in the last few weeks

The home of the mother of Northern Ireland football star Chris Baird has been petrol bombed in a sectarian attack.

The device was thrown at the front window of her house in Rasharkin, Co Antrim, in the early hours of Sunday morning, breaking glass and scorching the windowsill. Mr Baird's mother and sister were asleep in the house at the time. The flames were extinguished by a passer-by after 3.45am.

The attack on the house is the second in three weeks.

Mr Baird (28) plays for Fulham and has been capped 43 times for Northern Ireland.

Sinn Fein MLA Daithi McKay said the incident was a case of "attempted murder". "They are being targeted because they are a Catholic family, not because the attackers knew it was Chris Baird's mum's house" he said.

"The family are not involved in anything political. People in Rasharkin are shocked and very angry that they have been singled out. Now that those behind the attacks now know whose house it is, everyone in the area is hoping they will stop the attacks for good."

Mervyn Storey of the Democratic Unionist Party condemned what he said was a "despicable attack".

"Yet again we have another family subjected to sectarian hatred and unfortunately the reality is that since April of this year we have had something like 16 sectarian attacks in Rasharkin and 25 since the beginning of the year," he added.

"It is a hate crime. It is someone venting their hatred and their anger for whatever reason on someone who should not be attacked in this way."

Mr Storey said he would be meeting with the Police Service of Northern Ireland chief constable Matt Baggott to ensure there were "adequate resources" to deal with such incidents.

Police have said the attacks are sectarian, although they are not blaming any particular group.

In the first incident, a brick was thrown through the window of the house three weeks ago.

Baird has captained Northern Ireland in the past, and was first given the role against Liechtenstein in August 2007.

He also plays for Fulham in the English Premiership, and signed a new three-year contract with the London club last week.

The 28-year-old arrived from Southampton in July 2007 and was a key part of the Fulham team that reached the Europa League final in May.

Baird started his career at Ballymena United before joining Southampton's youth academy in 1998, and made his first team debut in March 2003.

He joined Fulham for £3m and was signed by then-manager, the former Northern Ireland boss Lawrie Sanchez.

He has won more than 40 international caps and played in the Northern Ireland team which secured a 1-0 win in Slovenia in their Euro 2012 qualifier on 3 September.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/petrol-bomb-attack-on-footballerrsquos-mum-14954287.html?#ixzz108yfrV8H

WhiteJC

http://www.bedfordshire-news.co.uk/Sport/Bedford-Town-FC/Hughes-believes-in-Murphy-77845.xnf?BodyFormat=0
Hughes believes in Murphy
Mark Hughes believes Danny Murphy can continue delivering for Fulham despite his advancing years.

Former England midfielder Murphy is expected to lead a strong Cottagers team in Tuesday's Carling Cup third-round clash with Stoke.

The 33-year-old heads a queue of Fulham players who are in the last season of their contracts and Hughes has been impressed by his form, saying: "Danny is playing well and is in the team by rights. If he continues the same way there is no reason why we shouldn't look to make sure that he stays as he's very influential both on the pitch and off it."

He added: "Danny is realistic and knows himself that he can sustain his level. From what I have seen, there is no reason why he can't.

"When I arrived here nine or 10 players had one year left on their deals.

"It's a long big list and while we were are working through it, we haven't got quite through everything.

Hughes, who was appointed Fulham manager in late July, is ready to select his strongest available line-up against Stoke as he continues to assess the strength of his side.

"I made the point before and after the last round that we are very early in the season and we don't need to make many changes," he said.

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-manager-Mark-Hughes-isn-t-interested-in-resting-his-stars-for-the-Carling-Cup-tie-at-Stoke-as-he-wants-his-first-XI-to-play-together-as-much-as-possible-article585009.html
Hughes not interested in resting his key men

The Cottagers travel to Stoke tomorrow for the third round of the Carling Cup - the second of three matches in eight days.

Fulham have enjoyed an unbeaten start to the season but Hughes is determined to address the abysmal away form that continues to hinder the club's progress.

So far this term they have secured draws at Bolton, Blackpool and Blackburn, but have not won on their travels in the Barclays Premier League for over a year.

Hughes is encouraged by what he has seen so far but wants to make the breakthrough, even if it comes in the Carling Cup.

The 1-1 draw with Blackburn on Saturday was Fulham's first game without Bobby Zamora and Hughes is confident they can still thrive without their star striker, who is out with a broken leg.

"Last Saturday was our first game without Bobby and obviously we're going to miss him because he's a quality player who was the main focus of our attack," he said.

"That was the intention this year and Bobby was going to be a big part of what we did.

"He's going to missing for possibly five months and we've got to get on with it.

"I've got good players that can come in and make an impact for us.

"We can't look at players that aren't here - we've got to look at the ones we have and make sure they have an impact and I think they did on Saturday against Blackburn."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-manager-Mark-Hughes-isn-t-interested-in-resting-his-stars-for-the-Carling-Cup-tie-at-Stoke-as-he-wants-his-first-XI-to-play-together-as-much-as-possible-article585009.html#ixzz108zjFyy7

WhiteJC

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2010/09/20/arsenal-prepare-22m-january-defensive-double-swoop/
Arsenal Prepare £22m January Defensive Double Swoop

Emirates boss ready to spend spend spend.

Arsenal are reportedly planning January raids for Ajax keeper Maarten Stekelenburg and Fulham centre back Brede Hangeland as Arsene Wenger looks to make use of a large cash injection he will be handed to improve his Emirates squad.

The newspapers have been awash with speculation linking the north London club with a myriad of keepers due to Wenger's apparent lack of confidence in current number one Manuel Almunia and even though some reports state that Ajax keeper Stekelenburg is leaning more towards a move to replace Edwin Van der Sar at Manchester United, others state his desire to move to the Emirates.

Brede Hangeland has been tipped to leave Craven Cottage by his international team-mate Morten Gamst Pedersen who states that the giant centre back is bound to leave the west London club sometime in the near future, implying that the 6ft 5in defender had outgrown the unbeaten Premier League side.

The pair would cost around £22m to capture which represents less than half of the funds Wenger reportedly has available to invest in new additions when the transfer window re-opens in January.

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6391249,00.html?
Hughes open to Murphy deal
Fulham boss wants midfielder to maintain his form

Mark Hughes believes experienced midfielder Danny Murphy will secure a new contract at Fulham if he maintains his current form.

Murphy has started all six games this season for the Cottagers, who have yet to lose since Hughes was appointed manager.

However, the 33-year-old is one of a clutch of players to be in the final year of their contracts with the Premier League club.

Hughes has yet to open talks regarding an extension for Murphy, but feels the former England international is capable of securing a new deal.

Realistic
"When I arrived here nine or 10 players had one year left on their deals," said Hughes.

"It's a long big list and while we were are working through it, we haven't got quite through everything.

"Danny is playing well and is in the team by rights. If he continues the same way there is no reason why we shouldn't look to make sure that he stays as he's very influential both on the pitch and off it.

"Danny is realistic and knows himself that he can sustain his level. From what I have seen, there is no reason why he can't."

Meanwhile, Hughes is ready to select his strongest available line-up for Tuesday's Carling Cup tie against Stoke as he continues to assess the strength of his side.

"Physically we recover as well as anybody and we never compromise by playing anybody when they are not fully recovered, so it's not an issue."

WhiteJC

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/stokecitynews/Stoke-City-Higginbotham-looks-seize-chance/article-2665920-detail/article.html?
Stoke City: Danny Higginbotham looks to seize chance against Fulham
By Stoke City Michael Baggaley

DANNY Higginbotham is determined to take a step closer to Wembley and stake his claim for a Premier League return by helping Stoke beat Fulham in the Carling Cup tonight, writes Michael Baggaley.

The 31-year-old, pictured below right, is expected to return to the side for the third-round tie at the Britannia Stadium (7.45pm), having been surprisingly axed after Stoke's opening-day league defeat at Wolves.

Tony Pulis has stuck with an unchanged defence for the last four league games, but Higginbotham should get his chance tonight, having also featured in Stoke's second-round victory over Shrewsbury.

The former Stoke captain could step in for Danny Collins at left-back or play in the centre if Pulis decides to rest his first-choice pairing of Abdoulaye Faye and Ryan Shawcross.

Higginbotham said: "It has been very frustrating. The first game of the season at Wolves wasn't a great result and after that I have only played in our Carling Cup game.

"But that is part and parcel of football. If you aren't determined to win your shirt back, there is no point being at the club.

"I have been in this situation before and I am sure I will be again.

"This club has come a long way and wants to keep progressing. Long may that continue.

"It is a case of me being patient and waiting for the opportunity."

Higginbotham says the players would love to make some amends for their Carling Cup disappointment two years ago when they reached the quarter-finals, only to lose at home to Championship side Derby.

He said: "That was very frustrating. We fancied our chances of getting to the semi-finals, but Derby came here and soon changed that.

"Fair play to them, they came here and did well.

"But cup nights are brilliant. They give you something different and it would be great if we could go on and get to the final."

City have cut admission prices to £12 for adults and £6 concessions, but fans are expected to see strong line-ups from both clubs.

Higginbotham added: "We want to win every game and this is no exception.

"We have a very good squad now, so whatever team the manager puts out will be very strong."

Kenwyne Jones (groin), Jermaine Pennant (hamstring) and Jon Walters (ankle) are all doubtful through injury after they were forced out of the second half of Saturday's draw with West Ham.

But the trio all have a chance of being fit for Sunday's Premier League game at Newcastle United.

STOKE midfielder Glenn Whelan has been named in the Republic of Ireland's 26-man squad for their Euro 2012 qualifiers at home to Russia (October 8) and in Slovakia (October 12).

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/9009908.stm
Stoke    v    Fulham

TEAM NEWS
Eidur Gudjohnsen, who came on as a substitute for Stoke against West Ham on Saturday, could be handed a starting place for Tuesday's cup tie.

Kenwyne Jones, Jermaine Pennant and Jon Walters all picked up knocks at the weekend and are among those likely to be rested.

Fulham manager Mark Hughes is also tipped to make changes.

Hughes is without Rafik Halliche and Fredrik Stoor, who are sidelined with groin injuries.

MATCH PREVIEW
This is one of six all-Premier League ties in this round, and involves two clubs that have tended to struggle against top-flight opposition in the League Cup.

Last season, Stoke were knocked out by struggling Portsmouth in the Potters' first match against a Premier League team in 16 ties. Fulham, meanwhile, have not knocked out a side from the top division since they beat Birmingham six years ago.

Having thrashed Stoke's neighbours Port Vale 6-0 in the previous round - the London club's largest ever win in this competition - Fulham are now looking to progress to the last 16 for the first time since they reached the quarter-finals in 2004/05.

Stoke, League Cup finalists in 1964 and winners in 1972, have made a disappointing start to their season, whereas unbeaten Fulham are seventh in the table and defying predictions that they could fade following the summer departure of manager Roy Hodgson.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head
• Stoke have won 25 and Fulham 27 of the 67 competitive meetings between these clubs. Both have scored 97 goals against each other.
• They have met only once before in the League Cup: a second-round tie in 1994, which Stoke won on away goals.

Stoke
• Stoke have reached the fourth round in the last two seasons. Before that, they went out in the first two rounds seven years in a row.
• Spanning last season, the Potters have won only three of their last 10 home matches.

Fulham
• Fulham, League Cup quarter-finalists in 1968, 1971 and 2000, have drawn all three of their away matches this term.
• If selected, goalkeeper David Stockdale will be making his 100th career appearance.

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6391558,00.html?
Carling Cup preview

Stoke City face Fulham, who have drawn four of their matches already this season but were emphatic in the second round of the Carling Cup, hitting Port Vale for six.

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2920/league-cup/2010/09/21/2128873/stoke-city-can-win-the-league-cup-jon-walters
Stoke City can win the League Cup - Jon Walters
Fulham clash will be difficult, says Potter

Stoke City forward Jon Walters believes that his side can go on an win the League Cup this season.

The 27-year-old was one of the newcomers to the club during the summer transfer window, and scored his first goal during the previous round against Shrewsbury Town.

Having sustained an ankle injury during the recent draw with West Ham United, the ex-Ipswich Town skipper could well be left out for the game on Tuesday. However, the Potters marksman believes that the gaffer still has a squad strong enough to win the cup competition.

"When you look at our squad, we have a realistic chance of going all the way," Walters told the club's official website.

"The cup competitions are fantastic for the players because they give you an opportunity to do something special and possibly go on to win some silverware.

"You obviously need the luck of the draw, but we do have the quality here to cause any team problems, and when the game is a one-off, anything can happen."

He added: "We would love to go to Wembley, play in a final and win major honours, which is what you want as a professional footballer.

"Whether it is this season or another season, hopefully I can help this football club to achieve something."

But first, the Potters will have to get past Fulham on Tuesday if they are to continue dreaming of a trip to Wembley in the future. The Cottagers have had a woeful form away from home in recent seasons, but are currently unbeaten this season under manager Mark Hughes.

They also have the experience of having gone all the way to the final of the Europa League last season.

"They have some very good players, so we know how difficult it is going to be," Walters said.

"They have had a decent start to the season, and they know how to handle cup competitions. Just look at how they performed last season in Europe."

Hughes has previously maintained that he will be fielding a full strength line-up at the Britannia Stadium on Tuesday.

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_preview/0,19764,11065_3319081,00.html
Stoke v Fulham preview
Cottagers travel to Potters in third round clash

Premier League rivals Stoke and Fulham prepare to lock horns in the third round of the Carling Cup on Tuesday evening.

The Potters have made a reasonably slow start to the league campaign, and host the Cottagers at the Britannia who have looked reasonably solid under new boss Mark Hughes.

Fulham thrashed League Two outfit Port Vale6-0 in the last round of the competition while Stoke narrowly defeated Shrewsbury 2-1.

Hughes will select a strong team for the clash, following a 1-1 draw away at Blackburn at the weekend.

Hughes admitted his recent arrival at Craven Cottage means he wants to run the rule over his first choice line-up as much as possible.

Andy Johnson (knee) is still three to four weeks away from a first team return while Philippe Senderos (Achilles) and Bobby Zamora (knee) are long-term absentees.

Diomansy Kamara (foot) is back in training but David Stockdale (ankle) has three more weeks on the sidelines.

Stoke boss Tony Pulis is likely to make several changes. The team that faced Shrewsbury in the previous round featured six adjustments and Pulis is set to make use of his squad once again.

Kenwyne Jones, Jermaine Pennant and Jon Walters could all miss out after coming off injured during Saturday's 1-1 draw with West Ham.

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/9/21/1701548/welcome-back-fulhamusa?
Welcome Back FulhamUSA

I wanted to make sure all fans are aware that FulhamUSA has been relaunched and is up and running. I am a member of the website, and it is a great place for fans of Fulham in the United States. The forums are tremendous with information, and many topics to discuss regarding the club. 

When I joined this site I was welcomed with open arms. The fans on this site are passionate about the club. The interaction with other fans in the United States has just been great for me. I would highly recommend this site.

If you are ever wondering if Fulham has a strong following in the U.S., I think all you need to do is go to FulhamUSA to get your answer. So if you are interested please do check out this Fulham Fan's website.